NBA eliminates home and road uniforms, teases new Nike jerseys

Like real basketball, as well as basketball video games? Talk about the NBA, NCAA, and other professional and amateur basketball leagues here.

NBA eliminates home and road uniforms, teases new Nike jerseys

Postby jwin on Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:03 am

NBA games will look a lot different next season, as the league has uniform major changes planned as they begin their partnership with Nike.
One of the big changes in store is that the league is doing away with home and away jerseys, so expect to see plenty of color vs. color uniform matchups next season. Overall, each team will have four jerseys. They will then pick which set they would want to wear at home. The road team can then wear any of their jerseys that are a different color. Via Nike.com:
"Coinciding with the introduction of the new uniforms, the NBA is eliminating its "Home" and "Road" uniform designations. Beginning with the 2017-18 season, home teams will pick which of their uniforms will be worn at all home games and visiting teams will choose a contrasting uniform within their own assortment."
These are the four different jersey types:

Each NBA team will have 4 jersey options
- Association (Classic white)
- Icon (Team color)
- Athlete Mindset
- Community (Locally inspired)
jwin

Re: NBA eliminates home and road uniforms, teases new Nike jerseys

Postby Sauru on Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:50 am

not a fan of this change. just another change to generate more jersey sales
Sauru

Postby [Q] on Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:16 am

Not much change here. Its just a home and road and two alternates per team. Adidas already had the pride jerseys and all kinds of alternates for each team, only difference is now the home team gets to pick which one they want to wear.

Sucks cuz now Lakers won't be the only team with a traditional home jersey that's not white anymore. Also it got kind of confusing when teams would swap colors even in the playoffs
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:30 am

Sauru wrote:not a fan of this change. just another change to generate more jersey sales

Me neither, though I guess we've been seeing it done unofficially a fair bit in recent years. I think this is an area where the NBA should stick to tradition, though.

It feels like Adam Silver is trying to put his stamp on the league, but it's through unnecessary changes like this, rather than doing things like cleaning up the game by cutting down on flopping and whatnot.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Sauru on Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:35 am

Andrew wrote:
Sauru wrote:not a fan of this change. just another change to generate more jersey sales

Me neither, though I guess we've been seeing it done unofficially a fair bit in recent years. I think this is an area where the NBA should stick to tradition, though.

It feels like Adam Silver is trying to put his stamp on the league, but it's through unnecessary changes like this, rather than doing things like cleaning up the game by cutting down on flopping and whatnot.

thats the change i want to see. eliminate the flopping and jumping into defenders. do that and you got my vote for best commissioner ever
Sauru

Postby Andrew on Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:38 am

Exactly. Changes like this seem like faux innovation. Sure, it's a new and different idea for the league, but how is it better? What's the point?
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby zzcoolj21 on Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:16 pm

The problem is, the necessary changes probably wouldn't change the revenue.

This is definitely just to sell more jerseys and I cant really blame either Nike or the NBA for doing it. I do wonder how long until it just goes back to being listed as Home and Road though.
zzcoolj21
20% on Good release machine, The NLSC's Jr Smith

Postby Andrew on Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:33 pm

Very true. And that's a fair point as well, it's not like this is something they can't go back on if it ends up being messy and unpopular. It just strikes me as a cash grab dressed up as faux innovation, though.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby [Q] on Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:37 pm

Nike did have to sell themselves to the nba and so this was probably a big part of their pitch that set them apart
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Dee4Three on Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:22 pm

This is garbage, in my opinion.

I never liked the look of road jerseys vs road jerseys as it is, more of it? Ugh. It's not about being afraid of change, it's the way it looks in general, also about keeping the tradition intact.

I agree with Andrew about the stamp on the league, and the other comments about the money aspect. What's next, 4 point spots like the big 3 league? Will the basketball court start to resemble a pinball machines?

I'm not a fan of these changes. I hope a lot of teams still plan to honor the traditional way.
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Check out my YouTube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvHJXrqit8Dc6HBY5P6EmAA

Follow me on Twitter

https://twitter.com/Dee4Three84
Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby NovU on Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:55 pm

Let's go sleeved jersey, Nike. lol

Why the Nike monopoly? Can't each team decide what makers to go with? Big Baller jerseys would have been nice.
THX TO DOPE-JAO FOR THE SPECIAL SIG! <3
Enjoy! <3 Jao
NovU
Crap, what am I going to brag about now?

Postby koberulz on Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:25 pm

I don't understand the dislike for this. I can understand not caring and seeing it as pointless, but how is it a negative thing?
koberulz
Everything I say is false.

Postby Andrew on Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:41 pm

As Dee said:

Dee4Three wrote:I never liked the look of road jerseys vs road jerseys as it is, more of it? Ugh. It's not about being afraid of change, it's the way it looks in general, also about keeping the tradition intact.

I'd say that most people who don't like the idea have reasons that fall along those lines.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby PeacemanNOT on Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:13 pm

The thing is we've often already seen the tradition being broken for example the Thunder vs Sixers wore their opposite jerseys in the opening game of the 16/17 season.

phpBB [video]

I still think teams will keep the white at home, mostly because of tradition. Personally I think it's a nice change, because it adds variety to games during the season. I wouldn't worry too much because it is up to the teams to decide what jerseys they're going to wear, and the Lakers for example have always been very strict when it comes to only wearing the White/Yellow jerseys at home. I've never seen them wearing the purple/black ones at home and if they did it must have been a once off thing.
Donate if you'd like to:
Paypal - https://paypal.me/PeacemanNOT
PeacemanNOT
Useless Member
Contributor

Postby JaoSming on Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:06 am

PeacemanNOT wrote:the Lakers for example have always been very strict when it comes to only wearing the White/Yellow jerseys at home. I've never seen them wearing the purple/black ones at home and if they did it must have been a once off thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2Dq7RL95xk
http://www.nba.com/lakers/releases/13ho ... s_schedule
vs. Milwaukee Bucks - (12/31)

vs. Charlotte Bobcats - (1/31)

vs. Sacramento Kings - (2/28)

vs. Washington Wizards - (3/21)

vs. Golden State Warriors - (4/11)

I felt like home teams were wearing a lot of aways/alternates at home last season, so I'm not seeing this being too big of a change....I mean, if the Cavs could have 2 home jerseys with that yellow alternate and all those ugly gray sleeved things, I don't see how this is a big rip on a tradition that hasn't been enforced in the past few years.
Opinions are my own.

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Postby Andrew on Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:23 am

Fair points. I suppose for those of us who feel an affinity for the traditional approach, it's making official a change/trend that we haven't been fond of as it is. It's certainly possible that a lot of teams will uphold a more traditional approach, though. The feeling that it's undesirable at worst and pointless at best also stands out as an annoyance when there are more substantial things that some of us would like to see changed in the league, but they get ignored for something that's cosmetic and doesn't improve the integrity or quality of the sport (while also bugging some of us for other reasons).

Anyway, it is what it is. At least we've seen the end of sleeved jerseys.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby PeacemanNOT on Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:37 am

JaoSming wrote:
PeacemanNOT wrote:the Lakers for example have always been very strict when it comes to only wearing the White/Yellow jerseys at home. I've never seen them wearing the purple/black ones at home and if they did it must have been a once off thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2Dq7RL95xk
http://www.nba.com/lakers/releases/13ho ... s_schedule

Looking into it a bit further the Lakers have actually always been very strict with jersey selection. I never knew this but apparently they actually had a system where they wore black jerseys every friday and white jerseys every sunday. However they never wore the purple jerseys at home simply because of tradition. It's really up to the team I guess.

However when you say this doesn't change much, it does because now the teams have the choice to wear whatever jersey they want whenever they want, while in the past teams selected preset dates for jerseys like you just linked the "Hollywood Nights". I'm not sure how the playoffs work and if that applies the same way regular season games do. It probably doesn't considering the Cavs wore their black sleeved jerseys in close out games and swapped them up regularly throughout.

I remember reading an article about the Knicks "orange alternate" jersey they wore in the 13-14 season. They actually went into a losing streak while wearing them so they just wore the jerseys on the preset dates they set and never wore them again due to superstition. You can read about it here, but from what I've gained from it looks like they've scrapped that system:

http://nypost.com/2013/12/08/knicks-fre ... -uniforms/

Intresting quotes from the actual article:
According to an NBA official, the Knicks have now fulfilled the minimum requirement for the number of times they have to wear the brand new, all-orange jerseys that appear as haunted as Halloween.

The NBA official told The Post the Knicks can wear the uniforms a maximum of 18 times this season and no fewer than six times under league rules.
Donate if you'd like to:
PeacemanNOT
Useless Member
Contributor

Postby JaoSming on Thu Jul 20, 2017 3:33 am

PeacemanNOT wrote:However when you say this doesn't change much, it does because now the teams have the choice to wear whatever jersey they want whenever they want,

These crazy NBA teams I tell ya, they'll wear whatever they want, whenever they want! I mean, how long until we see teams switch uniforms for the 4th quarter of close games that take place after 10pm on the East coast? Pandemonium with these professional teams when they don't have traditional regulations!

I can't see myself watching less NBA because I might be subjected to the Celtics wearing green at home against the the Kings in their purple uniforms. If it becomes a trend, then yes you can have a point on this, but right now I just don't see it being the Wild West of sports uniforms like you're insinuating.
Opinions are my own.

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Postby PeacemanNOT on Thu Jul 20, 2017 3:37 am

JaoSming wrote:
PeacemanNOT wrote:However when you say this doesn't change much, it does because now the teams have the choice to wear whatever jersey they want whenever they want,

These crazy NBA teams I tell ya, they'll wear whatever they want, whenever they want! I mean, how long until we see teams switch uniforms for the 4th quarter of close games that take place after 10pm on the East coast? Pandemonium with these professional teams when they don't have traditional regulations!

I can't see myself watching less NBA because I might be subjected to the Celtics wearing green at home against the the Kings in their purple uniforms. If it becomes a trend, then yes you can have a point on this, but right now I just don't see it being the Wild West of sports uniforms like you're insinuating.

Except I've already stated I liked the idea... I think you're mistaking me for someone else like Dee4Three or Sauru.

EDIT:
In the end I personally think it's good thing that teams get to decide what jerseys the wear, we get to seem some more alternates and throwbacks (Y)
Last edited by PeacemanNOT on Thu Jul 20, 2017 3:39 am, edited 4 times in total.
Donate if you'd like to:
PeacemanNOT
Useless Member
Contributor

Postby Dee4Three on Thu Jul 20, 2017 3:38 am

I just don't want to see any teams in todays NBA trying the short shorts approach.. like the Lakers did 9 years ago. Man, that looked bad.

phpBB [video]
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Check out my YouTube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvHJXrqit8Dc6HBY5P6EmAA

Follow me on Twitter

https://twitter.com/Dee4Three84
Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby JaoSming on Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:48 am

Sorry PeacemanNOT, I wasn't reading everything thoroughly. (Y) (Y)
Opinions are my own.

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Postby Sauru on Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:37 am

koberulz wrote:I don't understand the dislike for this. I can understand not caring and seeing it as pointless, but how is it a negative thing?

because there was nothing wrong at all with the way it was before and this is clearly being done to get more money out of people. i generally am always against companies that make changes that have zero benefit to the consumer
Sauru

Postby koberulz on Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:38 am

There's also nothing wrong with this way, and how is it clearly a money-generating move? Teams have exactly the same number of jerseys they've always had.

Frankly I've always found the idea of the home team having to wear white, instead of their main color, absurd. Especially when they get the whole crowd to wear the team color and the away team wears that color as well.
koberulz
Everything I say is false.

Postby [Q] on Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:02 am

Fuck it, they should be able to mix and match shorts like the hawks were supposed to be able to do, just like NFL teams
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby JaoSming on Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:14 am

The Hawks did do it, they just didn't do it again after the first season
Opinions are my own.

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Next

Return to NBA & Basketball