Games you're playing right now, and my freetime's demise

Other video games, TV shows, movies, general chit-chat...this is an all-purpose off-topic board where you can talk about anything that doesn't have its own dedicated section.

Re: Games you're playing right now, and my freetime's demise

Postby Kenny on Tue May 16, 2017 3:49 pm

Cpt(K) wrote:Bloodborne is by far the most difficult game in FromSoftware's "Dark Souls" franchise. It is a PS4 exclusive, locked at 30 frames-- but the fast-paced, quick-thinking combat is to die for (see what I did there . . . okay slap me). :lol:

With The Old Hunters dlc, the already amazing soundtrack has raised the bar quite high in my opinion. I really would like a second game for Bloodborne, although the director apparently doesn't like to develop sequels, I think it'd be a nice addition to the different direction that Bloodborne provided in terms of combat.

My first experience with the Souls series was Dark Souls 2, and that game pretty much made me rage the entire time. I ended up trading it in after not many hours of playing it. Kind of regret that now, since at this point I understand why people love those games so much.

It's interesting to hear that Bloodborne is the most difficult. While I had my difficulties with the game, I found it to be far more accessible than DS2. I think the regain system is a big plus.

While we're talking about Dark Souls, I picked up pre-owned copy of the Prepare to Die edition of the first Dark Souls game on PS3. Thought it'd be good to give the series another shot after loving Bloodborne so much.

Edit: I see what you did there... eventually :lol:
Kenny
Thon Maker's Biggest Fan.
NLSC Team Member

Postby Cpt(K) on Fri May 19, 2017 3:26 am

Well, come to think of it: Dark Souls 2 is the only one I haven't completed in its entirety (not counting Dark Souls 3 as I'm about to wrap up the second DLC). I mean, I've completed the base game, but haven't tried any of the DLC content. I own Scholar of the First sin on PC and PS4 though, just haven't gotten around to it I guess. I hear its DLC is much harder than the base game, but I'll found out for myself I guess.

I suppose Bloodborne was difficult for me, because I wasn't used to the whole quick-step mechanic which benefits an aggressive play-style with the regain system. I'm usually wanting to back away and slap my hip (blood vials haha), akin to how an Estus flask is used in the other games (e.g. get hit, back far enough away and heal).

A preowned copy of the first game? I hope you can still access the DLC area (Ooacile), I don't remember if that edition included the content with the install or if you have to redeem a code and download it. In any case, if you can pick it up during a Steam sale for like $5 it is worth it! With a few steps the game is mod-friendly, and can enhance your experience. Especially since frame-choking blighttown can be fixed on PC.
Cpt(K)

Postby Lean on Tue May 23, 2017 12:12 am

I've just finished Mass Effect: Andromeda. Sure it had its flaws and some of the side quests are pretty much repetitive, I think it's still an OK game.

The story is pretty much following Bioware's story tropes, and the dialogue is cheesy most of the time, but I find the combat to be its strongest point.

The ending suggests that there's a follow-up, but with the criticism it received, I think the IP should be shelved for now.

I think I'll re-play the original Mass Effect trilogy next.
Lean
The Artist Formerly Known as Crappystuff
NLSC Team Member

Postby el badman on Tue May 23, 2017 8:45 am

Lean wrote:I've just finished Mass Effect: Andromeda. Sure it had its flaws and some of the side quests are pretty much repetitive, I think it's still an OK game.

The story is pretty much following Bioware's story stropes, and the dialogue is cheesy most of the time, but I find the combat to be its strongest point.

The ending suggests that there's a follow-up, but with the criticism it received, I think the IP should be shelved for now.

I think I'll re-play the original Mass Effect trilogy next.

I liked it too. Far from being a perfect game, with a lot of filler quests and annoying back and forth travels, plenty of lame dialogs, and tons of mediocre face animations, but overall it's still a solid game that deserves a chance. Replaying it as the sister right now.

Other than that, about 5-6 hours into Prey, which was very underwhelming at first but quickly becomes pretty addictive after the first couple of hours (annoying stuttering issues though), the same way that the Bioshock games were quickly capturing one's attention. And more than 30 hours into Ghost Recon: Wildands, which also is far from perfect but offers plenty of quality sandbox fun.
El Badmanator VI: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X @3.7GHz, Nvidia GTX 3090 24GB; Acer Predator XB273K 4K 27"Monitor; Samsung NVMe EVO 970 1TB / Samsung EVO Pro 500GS SSD; Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite; T-Force RAM DDR4-4000 32GB RAM; EVGA G5 850W PSU; Corsair iCUE H100i CPU Liquid Cooler; Razer DeathAdder Chroma wireless gaming mouse; HyperX Cloud Flight S wireless headset; Logitech G560 speakers; Razer Black Widow v3 mechanical keyboard; PS5 Dualsense controller; Rosewill Cullinan V500 gaming case; Windows 10 Pro 64bit
el badman's bandcamp
el badman
Last of the Meheecans

Postby Lean on Tue May 23, 2017 3:02 pm

el badman wrote:I liked it too. Far from being a perfect game, with a lot of filler quests and annoying back and forth travels, plenty of lame dialogs, and tons of mediocre face animations, but overall it's still a solid game that deserves a chance. Replaying it as the sister right now.

I may have the quest Ryder Family Secrets glitched as the quest progress marker says that I still am missing one step for it to get completed, but I'm sure as hell that I got all the memory triggers and the investigation part done.

I also think that the Andromeda Initiative's benefactor is The Ilusive man.

I also don't like SAM being the convenient do-it-all plot device.
Lean
NLSC Team Member

Postby Kenny on Thu May 25, 2017 1:18 am

Still in the midst of my first play through of Andromeda and I agree that, while it has its flaws, it's still an enjoyable game. The characters need more development, but I think there's a lot of potential if they stick with the series (which unfortunately, may not be the case).
Kenny
NLSC Team Member

Postby Lean on Thu May 25, 2017 12:04 pm

I also find the Archon has weak writing compared to Saren. His goals are pretty much from a common bad guy.
Lean
NLSC Team Member

Postby JaoSming on Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:11 am

Super Hot VR is my new favorite VR game, so good

https://youtu.be/OeteleeKjvE
phpBB [video]

RiME is good so far, but I'm still early in it....just hoping I don't lose focus with it like I did with Zelda.

Danger Zone was exactly what I wanted it to be, just some Burnout-esk Crash mode with leaderboards. Hoping for DLC or modding support though....I got through all the zones in just over an hour.

....and Rocket League somehow crawled back into my life....
Opinions are my own.

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Postby Lamrock on Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:15 am

Danger Zone sounds interesting, but I'll wait for a flash sale.

I got Tekken 7 the other day. Love it. The Story Mode was a little underwhelming, and I can't beat the Bonus Stage. Great game for having people over though. Character customization is hilarious, and the gameplay is great as always.
Lamrock

Postby Andrew on Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:38 am

Picked up Injustice 2. The AI feels a little cheap at times, but it's still fun. I like how they've changed things up a little in the story mode, with some of the chapters allowing you to alternate between characters so that fights and scenes play out a little differently.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby JaoSming on Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:53 am

Watched the "movie" from that, they did a great job with the story yet again
Opinions are my own.

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Postby [Q] on Mon Jun 05, 2017 3:27 pm

I've watched all the superhot stuff online and it looks fun but I haven't gotten around to getting that yet. Looks like a game I'd play when I was younger. Cool puzzle type game
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:38 pm

JaoSming wrote:Watched the "movie" from that, they did a great job with the story yet again

It's definitely well-produced and enjoyable so far. The "premium edition"/season pass is $60 AUS though, which is kinda lame. Depending on the new characters that are added, I'll wait for a PSN sale before considering it.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby [Q] on Fri Jun 09, 2017 2:43 pm

FREE COPIES OF PAYDAY 2 BEING GIVEN AWAY ON STEAM RIGHT NOW. Good for today only, so get it now!
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Fri Jun 09, 2017 2:47 pm

Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Lamrock on Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:36 am

My friend sold me his Xbox One and some games for cheap so I've been playing Forza Horizon 3 and Motorsport 6. I like the console overall - the controller is great and it's nice to have a few of my old 360 games back. However, no custom soundtracks/Spotify integration is a real drag. (Groove Music?!?!)

Horizon 3 is amazing. One of the funnest driving games I've ever played.. just so polished and filled with fun things to do. Graphics are beautiful. Soundtrack is hit & miss but I like it. Makes me feel like a kid again - especially that incredible Hot Wheels DLC. Motorsport 6 is a bit disappointing. The career mode is pretty weak - there's no excitement in getting a Lamborghini if I won't even be able to use it for another 30 races. And with this game the lack of custom soundtracks is a killer. I listen to music with my headphones when I play that one, and it took a while to get used to shifting without listening to the engine. Fortunately the controller helps.

Xbone isn't the strongest for exclusives, but does anybody have any recommendations? I'm intrigued by Sunset Overdrive and Gears 4, but that's about it. Also, my gamertag is Lamrock93 if you want to add me.
Lamrock

Postby JaoSming on Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:04 am

Rare Replay is worth a look, Killer Instinct is fun, & look into EA Access if you haven't already
Opinions are my own.

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Postby Its_asdf on Fri Jun 30, 2017 4:38 am

Just picked up a few games from the Steam Summer Sale:

Shadows of Mordor - Played it for two hours; fucking hated it. The story did not seem that interesting, but then again I am not a die hard LoTR guy. I see a lot of comparisons drawn to the Arkham games but I was a lot more drawn in to the story and Batman as a character seems a lot easier for me to identify with than some generic Aragorn-lite. The game has polish and the animations are fantastic; I just find very little reason to get invested.

Faster than Light - Not played yet, although I have heard great things regarding the replayability of it.

Civ 6 - I was a very big fan of Civ 5 after all of the patches/expansions. Also yet to play this one but I am fairly confident it is up my alley.

I am on the fence between grabbing Wasteland 2, Dishonored 1 or Stardew Valley as my final purchase for the summer.

Anyone else have any games to recommend or share any purchases made during the steam sale?
Its_asdf
I'm kind of a big deal.

Postby Kenny on Fri Jun 30, 2017 4:08 pm

Started replaying Fallout New Vegas when my internet was out. Still my favourite of the Fallout FPS series.

I also bought Fable in the Steam sale, after having a bunch of people tell me it's an amazing game. Hope it lives up to the hype.
Kenny
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Fri Jun 30, 2017 4:27 pm

Kenny wrote:Started replaying Fallout New Vegas when my internet was out. Still my favourite of the Fallout FPS series.

(Y)

I've been playing through 3 again recently, exploring and trying a few things I hadn't before. I've got a half-finished playthrough of New Vegas that I'll do the same with.

I would like to get into 4 properly. Last time I picked it up I found I enjoyed it a lot more.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Its_asdf on Sat Jul 01, 2017 12:28 am

You have good taste. (Y) If New Vegas did not have such a rushed buggy release I think it would definitely would have garnered just as much praise, if not more, than FO3.

I also have FO4 but after the initial few weeks of playing it on release I do not really have a strong urge to go back to it. I'm still pretty salty about the voiced protagonist and the weak dialogue system. I could also live without the wasteland Sim City stuff with the settlements as well. I sound like one of those fans, but those were core aspects of the game that should not have been messed with.
Its_asdf
I'm kind of a big deal.

Postby Andrew on Sat Jul 01, 2017 1:25 am

Yeah, the voiced protagonist and dialogue system definitely isn't my favourite aspect of 4. After all the patches, New Vegas turned out great I thought. It's a shame they didn't have more development time to implement post-ending gameplay, as Broken Steel did with 3.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Patr1ck on Sat Jul 01, 2017 6:26 am

I went back to fallout 3 when I read about hilarious low intelligence dialog in other fallout games. I didn't find out until starting it again that there ween't any in Fallout 3.
Patr1ck
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Its_asdf on Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:18 am

Andrew wrote:Yeah, the voiced protagonist and dialogue system definitely isn't my favourite aspect of 4. After all the patches, New Vegas turned out great I thought. It's a shame they didn't have more development time to implement post-ending gameplay, as Broken Steel did with 3.

It's a shame about 4 too, because I feel like the gun play is incredibly satisfying. If it were titled "AAA Open World Action Adventure Game" I'd gobble it up. But when you slap the Fallout name on to a title, there are certain expectations that come with the brand.

I think that's probably why I ended up purchasing Wasteland 2 on Steam the other day, I'm craving that certain tone that 4 really deviated from.
Its_asdf
I'm kind of a big deal.

Postby [Q] on Sat Jul 01, 2017 9:51 am

Random sidenote: I applied for a job at the creators of new vegas
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic