Dear LiveJournal,

Other video games, TV shows, movies, general chit-chat...this is an all-purpose off-topic board where you can talk about anything that doesn't have its own dedicated section.

Re: Dear LiveJournal,

Postby Andrew on Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:51 pm

Indeed. If it's a good fit, you're happy, and you're paying the bills, that's what's important.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Dee4Three on Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:01 am

Kevin, I support your choice. The fact that you figured that part out at such a young age speaks volumes. I feel like many kids/young adults pursue college/careers based on what their parents tell them to pursue, what they tell them/want them to do. I've seen it many times, and those people are miserable in the job they end up in, they constantly question "What was I thinking getting into this?".

Keep trying to pursue what you are indeed passionate about, and what makes the most sense for you.

Great job.
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Check out my YouTube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvHJXrqit8Dc6HBY5P6EmAA

Follow me on Twitter

https://twitter.com/Dee4Three84
Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby NovU on Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:16 am

I guess I am one of those "I should have listened to my parents" crowd, not that I would have made it to med school anyways.

But my advice is as I lived through it. Being IT guy was my wants and goal from early childhood, and now that I finally got into it, reality is entirely different. What you envision is not reality will get you. Every one of spring chickens thinks they're special and think they will make it big, but 99.9% settles. That's the reality that sets in eventually. That goes same for nearly all industry. So now, what you want or think want is likely NOT what you want in 10 or 15 years. It sounds all glorious to pursue what you really want but too often times I've seen people looking back.

Timing and choices are rare to come by. Once gone, most of times forever gone. Med school is big, buddy, especially here in North America.
THX TO DOPE-JAO FOR THE SPECIAL SIG! <3
Enjoy! <3 Jao
NovU
Crap, what am I going to brag about now?

Postby shadowgrin on Sun Jun 11, 2017 8:43 pm

deihatein wrote:It is even harder where I'm from. Especially when IT people is being stereotype into "guys who only reformat computers"

looool you can't even format a computer properly.
HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
JaoSming2KTV wrote:its fun on a bun
shadowgrin
Doesn't negotiate with terrorists. NLSC's Jefferson Davis. The Questioneer

Postby Lean on Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:42 pm

Always keep that startup disk somewhere near your computer.
Lean
The Artist Formerly Known as Crappystuff
NLSC Team Member

Postby shadowgrin on Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:17 pm

See what Lean just did, dei. That's how a real pro rolls.
HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
shadowgrin

Postby mp3 on Sun Jun 25, 2017 6:23 pm

After having our daughter I have taken a long hard look at my life and career theses passed 6 months, back in 2012 I was a training supervisor at my job I'd worked at for 16 years since leaving school but after 3 family deaths in 6 months and my mum having a cancers scare my life was derailed and I left my old job.

I had a couple of jobs over the next 2 years before taken a roofing job building roof trusses thinking I'd be learning a trade and developing but after 3 years of doing this it's clear that it was just a job and not a future as there is very little professional development so I've taken a leap of faith and this passed week starting a new job order picking for a large retail firm that employs 22.500 staff nationally so Iam starting at the bottom taking a pay cut to do so too but there is plenty of development above me and room to grow so hopefully in the long run I can get back to where I was pre - 2012.
Youtube - mp3 Basketball Gaming
mp3

Postby Andrew on Sun Jun 25, 2017 6:30 pm

Hope it works out. (Y) There's always risk and as you said you end up starting over from the bottom, but when you can go much further in your career and be happier, more fulfilled, and financially secure, it's worth taking a chance.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby mp3 on Sun Jun 25, 2017 7:08 pm

Cheers mate it was a tough first week learning on the fly but I enjoyed it overall and there will actually also be a lot more gaming opportunities with this job too as Iam either on 6-2 then 2-10 the following week so I will have mornings or afternoons once Live and 2k come out, time to play for a few hours in the morning or afternoon which I didn't currently have.
mp3

Postby deihatein on Sat Jul 01, 2017 12:56 am

shadowgrin wrote:
deihatein wrote:It is even harder where I'm from. Especially when IT people is being stereotype into "guys who only reformat computers"

looool you can't even format a computer properly.

Fuck you, how would you know :lol:
shadowgrin wrote:Quick question: who is better in basketball, a black dude or a pinoy dude. If you thought or considered for a moment that it's the black dude then you're also a little bit racist.

End of any racist discussion.

Pinoy > Dallas Mavericks
deihatein
Like he never left!

Postby shadowgrin on Sat Jul 01, 2017 9:07 am

Good thing Steam doesn't keep chat logs for a long time or I'd be showing the receipts right now.
HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
shadowgrin

Postby Lean on Mon Jul 03, 2017 4:13 pm

Been out of a job for four months now. But hey, at least I have finished a 72nd scale X-Wing model kit!

Lean
NLSC Team Member

Postby zzcoolj21 on Sat Jul 08, 2017 6:59 pm

Almost missed the flight to Miami Thursday but I made it. I only have a week's worth of Cleveland gear packed for clothing.

This might be interesting.

zzcoolj21
20% on Good release machine, The NLSC's Jr Smith

Postby mp3 on Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:48 pm

My mission to get back into management seems to be working after taking a paycut to climb back up the mountain two months ago I've already being put forward for reach truck driving so more money coming once that happens and yesterday I interviewed for future management positions after one of the mangers on our shift handed in his notice so there will be a reshuffle of staff and maybe something in the future pipeline sooner than I thought.
mp3

Postby Lean on Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:12 pm

Left my office job in 2016 to work for a long-time client (who I have worked for since 2013). Last March. the client just dropped out and said that there's nothing more for me to work on and didn't reply to me since then.

Now I'm back to my previous job hunt slump phase in 2010, but I'm still getting side projects to keep me afloat. The most recent one, I applied as a multimedia e-learning developer, the interviews turned out great but they chose an in-house applicant over me.

Life sucks sometimes, eh?
Lean
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:34 am

I had a job fall through last year when they were hit by a funding/hiring freeze the week they were conducting the interviews. According to the recruitment agency, they were ready to hire me on the spot, which was nice to hear but also somewhat frustrating, knowing how close I was.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Lean on Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:19 pm

Yeah instances like that just make me laugh because you know you're pretty close but not just enough to make it.
Lean
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:23 pm

Absolutely. It feels a bit hollow, but at least you know that you're a desirable candidate and that your interview skills are reasonably sharp. Some consolation, I suppose.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Lean on Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:04 pm

But hey I guess I'm getting good at cutting promos because of these interviews! :lol:
Lean
NLSC Team Member

Postby shadowgrin on Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:06 pm

To the client that sold you dreams and bamboozled you, go to his house, skin him alive, then wear his skin to show him how disappointed you are with his treatment of you.
HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
shadowgrin

Postby Lean on Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:40 am

I'm gonna have to find him in Idaho first and challenge him in a "My Job on a Pole" match!
Lean
NLSC Team Member

Postby shadowgrin on Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:21 pm

Idaho? Looks like a NLSC member that got his patch request rejected by you long ago so he did an elaborate revenge plot to sabotage your career without you even knowing it all.
HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
shadowgrin

Postby Lean on Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:43 pm

Dammit he put up a company just to get back at me? WHOEVER REQUESTED FOR A JERSEY FROM 10 YEARS AGO THAT I IGNORED?! PLEASE FORGIVE MEEEEE!
Lean
NLSC Team Member

Postby mp3 on Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:16 pm

mp3 wrote:My mission to get back into management seems to be working after taking a paycut to climb back up the mountain two months ago I've already being put forward for reach truck driving so more money coming once that happens and yesterday I interviewed for future management positions after one of the mangers on our shift handed in his notice so there will be a reshuffle of staff and maybe something in the future pipeline sooner than I thought.

Well just a couple short months later Iam throwing in the towel and returning to my old roofing job, I took a pay cut to go to this new job and it took its toll on us and now my mum said she couldn't look after my daughter for one day a week so that's another £160pm on top of the £340 we were already paying so I just don't have the time to grind it out and work my way up the ladder.

I don't think I failed because the plan was working but I did start to discover that a corporate life wouldn't of being for me as you have to step over people to get a head which isn't who I am and also the it easy to choose going back to my old day job simply because when I worked the 2-10 shift every other week I didn't see my daughter other than for about 2 hours in the morning. I know there will be a lot of banter from my old work mates but Iam actually looking forward to going back
mp3

Postby Andrew on Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:37 pm

At the end of the day, you've got to do what's best for you and your family. Trying something and deciding that it's not the best option once you've had a chance to evaluate it is better than never trying anything new at all, or falling victim to the sunk cost fallacy and sticking with something that isn't a good fit just because you don't want to look like you've quit or "failed".
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic