The Knicks Thread....

Like real basketball, as well as basketball video games? Talk about the NBA, NCAA, and other professional and amateur basketball leagues here.

Re: The Knicks Thread....

Postby Jeffx on Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:24 am

mp3 wrote:I actually don't mind the draft pick, good solid young big point guard with plenty of upside

I'm ticked that Phil is making personnel decisions based on the f-n triangle, which will be done in two years when he's gone.
Jeffx

Postby Jeffx on Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:32 am

Jeffx

Postby [Q] on Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:47 am

buzzy wrote:give him a chance

[ Image ]

Lol that Latvian kid
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:58 am

I'm not sure that the triangle is as obsolete as is often claimed, but the fact of the matter is, he wanted to call the shots when he wasn't coaching, and undermined Hornacek in the process. Everything else seems spot on, though.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Valor on Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:52 pm

Andrew wrote:

I'm not sure that the triangle is as obsolete as is often claimed, but the fact of the matter is, he wanted to call the shots when he wasn't coaching, and undermined Hornacek in the process. Everything else seems spot on, though.

It's not, more than half the league employ various aspects of it. They just don't advertise it as "Triangle" - I feel like this is out of jealousy against Phil cause of his success, I mean even his proteges have a hard time finding work in the league unless they advertise themselves as being anything other than having learned from Phil.

Reality was, Knicks weren't even running triangle, their offense was a total mess. Phil wanted them to run triangle, players rebelled and never ran it, the coach kinda pandered towards both sides and it was a shit show. I feel like that's why he wanted to get rid of Carmelo Anthony, who was openly rebelling against Phil's concepts.

You're right on the money though, he was undermining Hornacek by pushing his agenda on him, but yeah let's just clear some things up - they weren't even running it.
Valor
Fire GarPax

Postby air gordon on Fri Jun 30, 2017 1:44 am

It didn't help their starting pg had a hard time learning it

So do NYK fans want a roster tear down or try to retool while melo Anthony is on a contract?
Jump.
Scott Skiles answer to the question on how Eddy Curry can become a better rebounder
air gordon

Postby Its_asdf on Fri Jun 30, 2017 5:14 am

Rumour has it that Knicks are in pursuit of Ujiri as the new president of the Knicks.

Please, for the love of god stay away..... :x
Its_asdf
I'm kind of a big deal.

Postby [Q] on Fri Jun 30, 2017 5:42 am

Would you prefer Isiah Thomas?
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Jeffx on Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:51 am

air gordon wrote:It didn't help their starting pg had a hard time learning it

So do NYK fans want a roster tear down or try to retool while melo Anthony is on a contract?

Enough is enough. A complete rebuild is long overdue. For years, the Knicks have tried rebuilding while trying to stay competitive, and it doesn't work.
I truly believe the Knicks would have been in a better place if Donnie Walsh had been allowed to carry out his plan, instead of the brain-dead owner blowing it up. Oh well.....long ago, I accepted the fact that this franchise will ALWAYS suck with Dolan at the top. Learn it, live with it, Knick fans. At least I still have my football Giants. Thank goodness for the Maras.

Andrew, other teams like the Warriors use elements of the triangle, but it doesn't dominate the offense. With Phil, it was ALL about the triangle.

As for the next GM, I heard Ujiri, but it would probably cost NY a first round pick....f*** that! What about Griffin?

By the way, Isiah Thomas just tweeted he's not interested in the GM job.
Jeffx

Postby Valor on Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:30 am

Jeffx wrote:With Phil, it was ALL about the triangle.

and according to reports that just came out, Carmelo Anthony was sabotaging the system and berating anybody (including Porzingis) that ever praised or were willing to learn it. Triangle isn't the problem, the "star player" rebelling was.

Of course, there's the argument that the president shouldn't dictate the offense, which is valid; but still feels like everyone's just overlooking what a team cancer Carmelo Anthony is.
Valor
Fire GarPax

Postby Andrew on Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:28 am

Jeffx wrote:By the way, Isiah Thomas just tweeted he's not interested in the GM job.

Maybe the kindest act he's ever performed. Or a smokescreen for the world's least welcome return. Hopefully the former, for the Knicks' sake.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby shadowgrin on Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:21 am

Hoping for Dolan to hire new Knicks GM with Isiah Thomas as team president, bit similar to GarPax setup.
HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
JaoSming2KTV wrote:its fun on a bun
shadowgrin
Doesn't negotiate with terrorists. NLSC's Jefferson Davis. The Questioneer

Postby Jeffx on Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:15 pm

The dysfunction was worse than we thought;

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baske ... -1.3288415
Jeffx

Postby Andrew on Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:39 pm

Jeffx wrote:The dysfunction was worse than we thought;

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baske ... -1.3288415

Damn. Definitely a mess.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Valor on Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:41 am

It's a shit show for sure, but probably not as bad as you think though.
Valor
Fire GarPax

Postby Andrew on Sat Jul 01, 2017 11:35 am

It's an interesting comparison, really. In terms of horrible contracts and dealing away Draft picks, Thomas was much worse. In terms of attitude, commitment, and living up to expectations, Jackson was probably worse. I got the sense that as misguided as Thomas was, he did care and thought he was making shrewd moves, even though he clearly wasn't. He put in the work, which Jackson didn't seem to want to do. Jackson's moves may not have been as bad in their impact, but his contribution to a toxic culture and atmosphere seemingly were, especially the passive-aggressive Tweets and undermining Hornacek. As the previous article noted, he was still acting like a coach, when he needed to be an executive. I think that in the case of both men, it's fair to say that their egos got in the way.

Now the Knicks move on. That second article does raise an interesting point about Dolan not meddling, treating Jackson well and giving him more freedom than previous executives. That may indeed bode well for future hires, if Dolan is willing to extend them the same courtesy.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Jeffx on Tue Jul 04, 2017 4:47 am

Valor wrote:It's a shit show for sure, but probably not as bad as you think though.

Dude, it's been a shit-show for most of the past 15 years, and it will continue with Dolan's puppet Steve Mills in charge. When has the front office ever got things right?

There is absolutely NOTHING for real Knick fans to look forward to the next few years. But it doesn't matter, because suckers fill the Garden no matter what.
Jeffx

Postby Valor on Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:54 am

Jeffx wrote:
Valor wrote:It's a shit show for sure, but probably not as bad as you think though.

Dude, it's been a shit-show for most of the past 15 years, and it will continue with Dolan's puppet Steve Mills in charge. When has the front office ever got things right?

There is absolutely NOTHING for real Knick fans to look forward to the next few years. But it doesn't matter, because suckers fill the Garden no matter what.

I meant Phil's era was less of a shit-show than you might think, but yes, with Dolan there it'll never improve. We have the same situation in Chicago as well so dw, we know what you're going through....

Speaking of Steve Mills, he was caught on camera laughing at Melo's workout :lol:
phpBB [video]
Valor
Fire GarPax

Postby Jeffx on Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:05 am

Jeffx

Postby Andrew on Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:52 am

Healthier than Derrick Rose, I suppose.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby NovU on Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:03 pm

How about Tim Hardaway Jr?
Tim Hardaway Jr. has signed a four-year, $71 million offer sheet with the New York Knicks, according to Shams Charania of The Vertical.

I don't know. Even Phil wouldn't have done this imho.
THX TO DOPE-JAO FOR THE SPECIAL SIG! <3
Enjoy! <3 Jao
NovU
Crap, what am I going to brag about now?

Postby Jackal on Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:08 pm

Atlanta RFA Tim Hardaway Jr. has signed a four-year offer sheet with the New York Knicks, league sources tell The Vertical.

After restricted free agent guard Tim Hardaway Jr. signed a four-year, $71 million offer sheet with the New York Knicks on Thursday — a move that was confirmed by his agent, Mark Bartelstein of Priority Sports, to USA TODAY Sports

Phil was an issue. The biggest issue? Nah.

Edit: Sorry bout that Novu, missed that you already posted this.
Jackal

Postby Andrew on Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:27 pm

Hardaway's...OK, but he's certainly not his father, and that kind of money is putting a lot of faith in him. Arguably less of a headcase than Rondo and with a skillset more suited to the current style of play, but yeah, that's a lot of money to throw at him.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Jeffx on Sat Jul 08, 2017 12:50 am

With or without Phil Jackson, the Knicks have the most inept management in sports. Junior's not half the player his father was. I'd love to know what Steve Mills has on James Dolan. That clown should have been shown the door along with Phil.

Spending all that money for a team that's supposed to be rebuilding is f-n stupid.
Jeffx

Postby air gordon on Sat Jul 08, 2017 1:55 am

Maybe ATL matches and NYK fans can bitch about something else
Jump.
Scott Skiles answer to the question on how Eddy Curry can become a better rebounder
air gordon

PreviousNext

Return to NBA & Basketball