Chicago Bulls Thread

Like real basketball, as well as basketball video games? Talk about the NBA, NCAA, and other professional and amateur basketball leagues here.

Re: Chicago Bulls Thread

Postby Jackal on Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:30 am

He's already notified them about opting in. Not his fault at all, that one is on the FO for even giving him the option to choose an absurd amount like that.

He isn't getting that type of money ever again.
Jackal

Postby Andrew on Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:39 am

As crazy as it may sound, I still don't mind too much that they did it. Even on the downside of his career, I think it was worth rolling the dice on a player of Wade's magnitude. Age has clearly taken its toll and it was tough to see him blowing wide open dunks and whatnot, but I don't think he played terribly on the whole. He had his moments and was otherwise solid for a good chunk of the year. I think the problem is that they're counting on him to do too much too often, given his age and some of the injuries he's suffered.

In any case, what's done is done. They're together for at least another year.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby big-shot-ROB on Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:54 pm

Talking about the draft, I think every team with the 13+ pick in the draft should take a chance on Giles. It's not like you are getting a Kawhi o Giannis with those picks every year. Most of the players chosen between 15-30 are out of the league in 2-4 years.
big-shot-ROB
Robert Horry is better than MJ, because everybody knows that 7>6.

Postby Valor on Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:35 pm

big-shot-ROB wrote:Talking about the draft, I think every team with the 13+ pick in the draft should take a chance on Giles. It's not like you are getting a Kawhi o Giannis with those picks every year. Most of the players chosen between 15-30 are out of the league in 2-4 years.

I'd love to take a punt on Giles....IF we weren't the Bulls. We have one of the worse trainers and medical staff group in the league, dating back to Deng's stress fracture in recent memory where they basically told him to work his way through it but a second, outside opinion told him he needed to not do anything with it. Then there was the blotched spinal tap that nearly killed him....then Rose's string of injuries even before his ACL. Noah's game basically fell off a cliff because of his ongoing injury problems. It's not all Thibodeau's fault that the team had so many injuries when he was in charge, he's in charge of Minny right now and they don't have half their team out every season like we did.

Long story short, best not to take a guy with questionable knees if we have shady physios.
Valor
Fire GarPax

Postby Andrew on Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:52 pm

Even if the Bulls' medical staff were regarded as the best in the league, it's a red flag worth heeding.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Valor on Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:58 pm

Andrew wrote:Even if the Bulls' medical staff were regarded as the best in the league, it's a red flag worth heeding.

Well if I was the Suns and had a late first round pick after #4 I would pick Giles hands down, just cause I know the medical staff could milk some quality years out of him. The talent is there no question.
Valor
Fire GarPax

Postby Andrew on Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:05 pm

Depends on the issue, I suppose. If it's something like Brandon Roy and his knees, I don't think anyone's going to have a whole lot of luck there.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby air gordon on Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:50 am

Andrew wrote:As crazy as it may sound, I still don't mind too much that they did it. Even on the downside of his career, I think it was worth rolling the dice on a player of Wade's magnitude. Age has clearly taken its toll and it was tough to see him blowing wide open dunks and whatnot, but I don't think he played terribly on the whole. He had his moments and was otherwise solid for a good chunk of the year. I think the problem is that they're counting on him to do too much too often, given his age and some of the injuries he's suffered.

In any case, what's done is done. They're together for at least another year.

This is exactly what garpax want to hear. You accepting mediocrity

Bummed out he opted in. At least there's the chance he can be traded
Jump.
Scott Skiles answer to the question on how Eddy Curry can become a better rebounder
air gordon

Postby Andrew on Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:05 pm

Gotta admit, he's got a point. Mind you, that's probably an indictment of the ballooning salaries in the league as much as anything else.

Anyway, like I said, it is what it is now. He opted in, so it's down to him coming off the books at the end of the year, or being traded. Since GarPax are likely to trade away five first round picks and take on a terrible contract just to get such a deal done, free agency in 2018 seems like the option that'll do the least amount of damage. From there? Better decisions, hopefully. Hard to have faith that, though, isn't it?
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby air gordon on Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:26 am

For me what they do in the next few days will decide if I become a bucks fan full time or not

I don't care if they make a bad move. Just pick a direction and committ to it

If they bring back the same cast and say again the plan is salary cap flexibility, I will jump off the ledge
Jump.
Scott Skiles answer to the question on how Eddy Curry can become a better rebounder
air gordon

Postby NovU on Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:18 am

Wade's excuse via twitter is kinda resentful to read. Salary is spent to buy wins and Wade's number translated to only a few wins. You dont wanna spend 5 mil per win.

Too bad he has to bark at the wrong tree. What Riley has to pay is what Garpax is paying. His salary would have been well justified as a Heat.
THX TO DOPE-JAO FOR THE SPECIAL SIG! <3
Enjoy! <3 Jao
NovU
Crap, what am I going to brag about now?

Postby Jackal on Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:07 am

Thoughts on the Butler - Lavine trade? Any guys you want/expect with the pick?
Jackal

Postby Valor on Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:19 am

GarPax just can't help themselves from giving away too many assets, can they? We got fleeced and didn't even go high enough to get Fox.

EDIT: We got Lauri Markkanen, who is basically Finnish Nikola Mirotic. Are you kidding me. That's who we gave up Jimmy Butler for?! :facepalm2:
Valor
Fire GarPax

Postby Andrew on Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:51 am

Not even close to a good return on Butler. And to give up the 16th pick as well? Ugh. Just...ugh.

The Lauri Markkanen pick doesn't inspire a lot of confidence either. Valor's signature says it all.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Valor on Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:01 am

I like Dunn, he's just not worth Butler.

Hope Markkanen proves me wrong, but his college resume doesn't give a lot of confidence. Could barely get the ball in Arizona's sweet 16 loss to Xavier. On the season only averaged 15 points and 7 rebounds in 30+mpg and only 0.9 assists, 0.4 steals and 0.5 blocks. In other words, if he isn't shooting well, he's utterly useless.
Valor
Fire GarPax

Postby Andrew on Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:09 am

Getting Dunn is a positive and there's cause for optimism there, but yeah, that being the lone saving grace still falls well short of Butler's value. I guess we can't write off Markkanen immediately, but as you noted, there's good reason to be sceptical. And again, to give up the 16th pick as well? Awful.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Moz on Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:37 am

Valor wrote:GarPax just can't help themselves from giving away too many assets, can they? We got fleeced and didn't even go high enough to get Fox.

It's all about Dunn so they could careless regarding Fox. I'm ok with the trade earlier until I saw that the 16th pick is included... I'm worried that Dunn is injury prone and he still doesn't have a reliable jumper. Lavine will probably jacking more perimeter shots now after that ACL injury. And yeh, the Finnish guy is just a 7'0 McDermott. So, perhaps we will see how Hoiball works now that JImmy's not on Hoiberg's way anymore.

How about that ESPN guy's speculation? They'll decline Rondo's team option and buy out (although I don't know if they will with that amount) DWade. If they can pull that, will they have enough to get a max player aka Gordon Hayward?
Nationwide is on your side...
Moz
What a load of bollocks...

Postby Valor on Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:46 am

Moz The Boz wrote:
Valor wrote:GarPax just can't help themselves from giving away too many assets, can they? We got fleeced and didn't even go high enough to get Fox.

It's all about Dunn so they could careless regarding Fox. I'm ok with the trade earlier until I saw that the 16th pick is included... I'm worried that Dunn is injury prone and he still doesn't have a reliable jumper.

That's exactly why they should've gotten up high enough to get someone like Fox. I like Dunn but he's turnover and injury prone. If you're giving up a franchise player you should at least get a future franchise player in return....Fox would've been it. (Still not enough for Butler though, he's worth the #1 overall.)

Stupid but typical GarPax move.
Valor
Fire GarPax

Postby Moz on Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:55 am

The problem of them moving up is they'll probably not get an incentive player (on this case Lavine) because Jimmy will be traded straight up for the pick.
Nationwide is on your side...
Moz
What a load of bollocks...

Postby Valor on Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:58 am

Moz The Boz wrote:The problem of them moving up is they'll probably not get an incentive player (on this case Lavine) because Jimmy will be traded straight up for the pick.

Which then means they shouldn't have pulled the trigger. If teams weren't willing to trade top 5 pick + assets for JB then don't bloody trade him. Get rid of Rondo and Wade instead.
Valor
Fire GarPax

Postby air gordon on Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:40 pm

so garpax showed some guts but forgot to use their brains on this one.

both dunn and lavine values are low... bulls moved up 9 spots... and gave up their own pick!

i agree with valor here. top 5 pick and asset or no trade. fox would have been this acceptable. Butler was all nba and still has 2yrs left on his contract.

hayward? ha! no max player in his right mind is coming here. shit, i hope for wade's sake he'll just accept a buyout.

the finnish shooter? i'll give the kid a chance.

release the tank!

side note- can you believe it's garpax that has outlasted former COY Thibbs and now all Nba player Butler? hahaha
Jump.
air gordon

Postby Valor on Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:52 pm

air gordon wrote:side note- can you believe it's garpax that has outlasted former COY Thibbs and now all Nba player Butler? hahaha

Sadly, I can. It's Reinsdorf after all...

At least there's the poetic justice in how Thibs just fleeced GarPax after they fired him for no reason in 2015. Karma is a bitch indeed.
Valor
Fire GarPax

Postby air gordon on Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:01 pm

indeed. i will be turning in my bulls cap for a twolves cap
Jump.
air gordon

Postby Andrew on Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:33 pm

I suppose you can't spell "garbage" without "Gar".
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Valor on Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:47 pm

Series of tweets from Silvy of the Waddle & Silvy show sums it up beautifully.

JimmyButler is EVERYTHING I want as an athlete in Chicago. Always exceeded expectations. Worked his ass off. Self made.

It should NOT have come to this. Bulls FO let down Jimmy & Bulls fans. Like Chris Sale w/ Sox, Bulls should be reaping benefits of JB.

But when you're stuck, you're stuck. Can't just sit and be happy w/ 42-40 or 40-42. These are NOT the #Bulls glory days. Reset was needed.

I am PISSED that Bulls gave up #16. CANNOT give up picks/players when you immediately enter rebuild. Not that FO wouldve gotten guy @ 16.

"Hey, Im here for the rebuild. Take my 16th pick!" F that. Tell Thibs that you got Jimmy but we're not swapping picks. Makes NO sense!!!

I will not miss 40-42 records and 1st rd playoff exits. Bulls basketball needs to be about 7th title and NOT about filling seats.

Thibs is gone. Rob Adams is gone. DRose gone. JB gone. FO is last left standing. ENOUGH scapegoats. Build us loyal #Bulls fans a winner.

Pretty much exactly what has been going through my mind as well.
Valor
Fire GarPax

PreviousNext

Return to NBA & Basketball