Chicago Bulls Thread

Like real basketball, as well as basketball video games? Talk about the NBA, NCAA, and other professional and amateur basketball leagues here.

Re: Chicago Bulls Thread

Postby Moz on Sat May 06, 2017 12:49 pm

air gordon wrote:so rondo, grant, payne, and another PG (via draft or FA)? this is just more shit show business. get a young, modern era pg, please garpax.

Forgot about Canaan or probably they treat him more of an SG these days but he'll be a goner as well I reckon. There are reports that saw Rose practicing in the Bulls practice facility last week perhaps he's the one :lol: I'm glad that they didn't pulled that trade for Kris Dunn though it'll probably shorten the GarPax reign if it happened...

Andrew wrote:Looks like Valentine's been listed as a shooting guard. If he can knock down shots more consistently, especially from range, he could be solid off the bench.

He showed some flashes when Wade went down later in the season perhaps he just needs some more playing time to solidify his confidence. His perimeter defense is not that bad nowadays compared to those scouting videos from his college days.

I haven't seen any prospects videos yet but it would be better if they nab a battle tested guy. Ty Lawson is a headache these days but perhaps it'll change when he get out of SacTown. Mills will be great indeed since he doesn't need the ball that much to be effective. Some notable ones are Langston Galloway and Shelvin Mack.
Nationwide is on your side...
Moz
What a load of bollocks...

Postby Andrew on Sat May 06, 2017 12:58 pm

If you can take GarPax at their word, Butler isn't going anywhere. Seeing as how they'd probably give up three non-protected first round picks and take on at least two bad contracts to get the deal done, I'd certainly rather they didn't trade him. Also, the guy is pretty good, so all things considered, good news in that regard...if they're being honest, of course.

I don't have extremely high hopes for Valentine, but there's some promise there. I'm certainly not ready to give up on him, we're not in Snell territory just yet. Let's see what he can do, if anything, with more of a chance. I'd rather keep my expectations low and be pleasantly surprised. Not everyone can be a star, but if he can develop into a solid sixth man or rotation player that can defend adequately enough and make an impact offensively, that helps. We'll see.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby Valor on Sat May 06, 2017 9:23 pm

Moz The Boz wrote:There are reports that saw Rose practicing in the Bulls practice facility last week perhaps he's the one :lol:

I wouldn't mind, he's still an instant upgrade over what we have right now despite his injuries and bad outside shooting, actually looked pretty darn explosive this season and was finishing inside before his meniscus tear.

Andrew wrote:If you can take GarPax at their word

Yep, thats a big if :lol: :lol: :lol:

Andrew wrote:I don't have extremely high hopes for Valentine

I never had any hopes for him in the first place so if he can turn into even a 7-9th man thats good for a couple of buckets off the bench it'll be good news.
Valor
Fire GarPax

Postby air gordon on Sun May 07, 2017 1:58 am

let me know if i'm off here, but i don't think anyone they will draft will make a difference. as long they are drafting in the late lottery, they will be lucky just to get a solid rotation player. it blows my mind why management wants to continue this way. they even admitted the draft position they have is a tough spot to find a good player but that's due to own their lack of direction they keep the franchise in smh

they have a bunch of young guys but do you guys think any of them can be a starter in this league? management spit this crap of we need to develop our young "talent" and when they are really garbage.

that being said (lol), guess it's nice to start looking at the prospects. i saw the zach collins kid play a few times in the ncaa tourney. nice post up and face up game and provided some good interior defense. any thoughts on the aussie ferguson?

i'd like to see valentine get some run too. too bad really Wade is still on the team eating a lot of minutes on the wing.

i'd like them to find the long term answer at pg already. rondo's ok but its just short term. rondo somehow has made himself a fixture to this team. im thinking this is because of poor coaching and a dearth of incompetent pgs management assembled.

you gotta be kidding about rose. you are one sick sadistic dude

i don't think management will trade Butler.
Jump.
Scott Skiles answer to the question on how Eddy Curry can become a better rebounder
air gordon

Postby Andrew on Sun May 07, 2017 2:23 am

Yeah, admittedly I'm not familiar with the prospects I mentioned (besides the bit of research through the scouting reports I read), but I'm not expecting too much of anyone they draft this year. Sometimes good players slip, and it's not unheard of for later picks to become solid players or even stars in the league - just look at Isaiah Thomas - but conventional wisdom says it's more likely they get someone with a low ceiling. You can get lucky sometimes and nab a Jimmy Butler, but the lower you go, the more likely you are to get a Tony Snell. With their pick, I'd settle for a Taj Gibson; they could do worse. I'd like them to make the best pick possible (i.e. a player who has some chance of being something), but I'm not getting my hopes up either. Doesn't look like there's a whole lot they can do.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby air gordon on Sun May 07, 2017 2:56 am

you're not selling much hope, Andrew

settle? seriously if they got a taj gibson player that would be like hitting the lottery for them.

based on Randy Quaid i mean Forman's and Pax draft history, they pick someone from a notable college program with some experience. if not that then someone who has connections with Forman (ie new mexico state or iowa state).

do you think any of the current young guys on the roster can be a starter in this league????
Jump.
Scott Skiles answer to the question on how Eddy Curry can become a better rebounder
air gordon

Postby Andrew on Sun May 07, 2017 11:00 am

Not much hope on the shelves, or back in the stock room, sadly. Stocks are very limited, get it while it lasts.

"Settle" probably came across as being more negative than I intended. A Gibson-like player at that pick would be a fine selection. Hoping for anything more is expecting too much though, and even hoping for that is arguably bordering on wishful thinking. It's at least more feasible, I suppose. The bigs those mock drafts have the Bulls taking might be alright. Nothing to get too excited about, but maybe the best move possible at that spot.

The only player I think might have a shot is Valentine, and I don't think that's a sure thing by any means. They've got the youth, but as for as the skill and potential to get even better...yeah, kind of an important part that GarPax is overlooking there.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby Valor on Sun May 07, 2017 5:11 pm

air gordon wrote:you gotta be kidding about rose. you are one sick sadistic dude

I was indeed kidding, but if it's mediocre we want then I'll rather have the hometown hero instead of Rondo and his posse of shit PGs like Cameron Payne.

Not much hope for the draft, we are drafting just outside the lottery where we will be paying high first round rookie wages to what will almost certainly be a mediocre player who may or may not make the rotation. Surely we aren't going to luck out again with a Butler or Gibson, I don't have that much faith in GarPax's drafting abilities after they took Marquis Teague over Draymond Green just to spite Thibs.
Valor
Fire GarPax

Postby Andrew on Sun May 07, 2017 9:25 pm

Teague over Green was a kick in the nuts, no doubt.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby Valor on Sun May 07, 2017 9:50 pm

Andrew wrote:Teague over Green was a kick in the nuts, no doubt.

Valor
Fire GarPax

Postby air gordon on Mon May 08, 2017 2:21 am

Valor wrote:
air gordon wrote:you gotta be kidding about rose. you are one sick sadistic dude

I was indeed kidding, but if it's mediocre we want then I'll rather have the hometown hero instead of Rondo and his posse of shit PGs like Cameron Payne.

Not much hope for the draft, we are drafting just outside the lottery where we will be paying high first round rookie wages to what will almost certainly be a mediocre player who may or may not make the rotation. Surely we aren't going to luck out again with a Butler or Gibson, I don't have that much faith in GarPax's drafting abilities after they took Marquis Teague over Draymond Green just to spite Thibs.

had me to going there for a bit lol. I have a Payne jersey on pre order.

since Butler has been picked back in 2011 management hasn't hit on a draft pick.

Andrew wrote: They've got the youth, but as for as the skill and potential to get even better...yeah, kind of an important part that GarPax is overlooking there.

its like they have their arms up in the air and saying "what else can we do? we won't make any trades and we put ourselves in a cap situation where we can't make any significant moves via free agency ... so we may as well just develop the garbage we drafted. i love job security".
Jump.
air gordon

Postby Andrew on Mon May 08, 2017 11:35 am

What's the best case scenario for the offseason? With everyone opting in/being picked up, and given the position in the Draft, I think it's basically draft someone with some semblance of skill and promise (who probably won't have an impact right away anyway), and sign a player that's reasonably solid (or at least, not terrible) but also unlikely to change their fortunes very much. In other words, nothing terrible, but nothing particularly amazing, either.

As has been noted before, when the best case scenario is that they simply don't make a huge mistake, or do anything significant enough to mess things up...well, that's a low bar. Sadly, it's hard to see them being able to accomplish much else.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby Moz on Mon May 08, 2017 1:38 pm

Valor wrote:
Moz The Boz wrote:There are reports that saw Rose practicing in the Bulls practice facility last week perhaps he's the one :lol:

I wouldn't mind, he's still an instant upgrade over what we have right now despite his injuries and bad outside shooting, actually looked pretty darn explosive this season and was finishing inside before his meniscus tear.

I'll pretend that you're not kidding with that reply :wink: :wink: He loves the surgery table that boy...

air gordon wrote:do you think any of the current young guys on the roster can be a starter in this league????

I reckon Mirotic can be if he get his head into it. He's one of the "young guys" right?

air gordon wrote:since Butler has been picked back in 2011 management hasn't hit on a draft pick.

They would've if they kept Nurkic and Harris....

Andrew wrote:What's the best case scenario for the offseason?

The Reinsdorfs will be involve in a Donald Sterling kind of scandal and the league will force them to sell the team
Moz

Postby air gordon on Tue May 09, 2017 12:31 am

Moz The Boz wrote:
Andrew wrote:What's the best case scenario for the offseason?

The Reinsdorfs will be involve in a Donald Sterling kind of scandal and the league will force them to sell the team

Nominee for quote of the year. We still do these?

Yeah maybe Niko is a starter. Not sold yet

Smh nurk and Harris
Jump.
air gordon

Postby air gordon on Thu May 18, 2017 1:56 am

draft express has duke SG luke kennard at the bulls pick.
discuss
Jump.
air gordon

Postby Andrew on Thu May 18, 2017 2:41 am

Re-read some of the scouting reports on him. Sounds like he's a decent three-point shooter and can finish inside as well, though he's not a tremendous athlete. Good basketball IQ, passing, and dribbling skills have also been mentioned. He doesn't exactly suit the "athletic" part of "young and athletic", but considering they could really use more three-point shooting, he could be a solid pick. Maybe one of the more suitable players who could still be available at 16.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby air gordon on Thu May 18, 2017 5:59 am

im always skeptical of duke players. bunch of all americans playing on one team killing the comp.

he reminds of joel ingles right or wrong which i would be fine with.

one prospect who fits the bill as young and athletic is donovan mitchell. freakish athleticism, long arms, built like a bull.
Jump.
air gordon

Postby Valor on Thu May 18, 2017 6:53 am

Not a great athlete with a wingspan shorter than his height, can't play defense. Yeah, sounds like a GarPax pick for Hoiball.

air gordon wrote:he reminds of joel ingles

I think you're on the right track, I'd say a poor man's Joe Ingles. Definitely can shoot, has improved a lot but I don't see him becoming a top shooter in the mold of Korver or JJ Redick so....not a fan, we have more pressing needs.
Valor
Fire GarPax

Postby air gordon on Thu May 18, 2017 9:37 am

certainly has the makings of a garpax pick. strong college program, can shoot, limited upside.

his perimeter skillset i could get on board with but if he's limited on defense then ADIOS!

i have this sinking feeling ever since the tyrus thomas trade, management is afraid to take the chance on an upside player

then again we're picking at 16. the franchise savior won't be found there.
Jump.
air gordon

Postby Andrew on Thu May 18, 2017 11:24 am

Who's the better pick at 16 then? One of the bigs I mentioned earlier, maybe?
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby Moz on Thu May 18, 2017 1:57 pm

air gordon wrote:draft express has duke SG luke kennard at the bulls pick.
discuss

Andrew wrote:Re-read some of the scouting reports on him. Sounds like he's a decent three-point shooter and can finish inside as well, though he's not a tremendous athlete. Good basketball IQ, passing, and dribbling skills have also been mentioned.

Spot on with the Ingles comparison perhaps a little Nick Stauskus there as well but just like AG suggested, the Bulls don't need another Doug McDermott...

one prospect who fits the bill as young and athletic is donovan mitchell. freakish athleticism, long arms, built like a bull.

Sam Smith thought so as well. Reminds me of a young Eric Gordon a big plus if he can play both guards position so that this PG quest would finally end...

They worked out Hamidou Diallo earlier this week. From first look, ceiling as high as Andrew Wiggins and low as Wesley Johnson. Freakish athlete with a midrange game. If you think Mitchell is too small, he's your guy. For bigs, from what I saw with the suggestions of who the Bulls should pick, there's Justin Patton, John Collins, Jarrett Allen, Bam Adebayo, and Harry Giles. Giles would've been the top choice for me but he has 2 knee surgeries already so I'll go with Adebayo.
Moz

Postby Lamrock on Thu May 18, 2017 2:10 pm

Often times you see fans and pundits pose the question, "Could (whoever the best college team happens to be) beat (whoever the worst NBA team happens to be... usually the Sixers)". Obviously the bad NBA team would win (unless it counted in the standings), but maybe the Bulls want to find out for sure. College coach, college players, college system? Next thing you know the Bulls players will be taking mandatory Swahili classes. Chicago native and Bulls fan Kanye West said it best with his line "they be ballin' in the D-League. I be speakin' Swaghili"

Wait, what were we taking about? Lavar Ball?
Lamrock

Postby air gordon on Thu May 18, 2017 2:50 pm

If they go big I like Collins. Reminds me of a more fluid taj Gibson and looks like he shares the same mean streak and physicality

Gotta love those outdoor games bam was playing in. I'd rank him 2nd and ahead of those agile but soft centers

I like the diallo upside. Looks like he has a better scoring feel for the game albeit against high comp in those vids than Mitchell. I like both guys versatility on the perimeter. I do see a little Marcus smart in Mitchell. Both the bad and good.

Should do more digging but initially I like Mitchell, diallo, bam in that order
Jump.
air gordon

Postby Andrew on Thu May 18, 2017 2:53 pm

Alright, we have some viable candidates. Who's the worst possible player they could pick at 16? Because, you know, that could easily happen, despite the aforementioned names still being available. :lol:
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby Moz on Thu May 18, 2017 4:10 pm

air gordon wrote:If they go big I like Collins. Reminds me of a more fluid taj Gibson and looks like he shares the same mean streak and physicality

He has issues with his defense so I'm not too fond of him Bam just need some polish on his offense but he's ready to go I reckon.

Andrew wrote:Alright, we have some viable candidates. Who's the worst possible player they could pick at 16?

If they go for a wingman Kennard (because he's the type of player they usually pick nowadays) and for a bigman Patton (because he's from Creighton?)

Forgot to mention about their meeting with De'Aaron Fox. Outside of Butler, I don't know who else could be baited so they can move up the draft board to acquire him. Or perhaps they just assume that teams will pass on him because he's just potentially be another Elfrid Payton.
Moz

PreviousNext

Return to NBA & Basketball