Lakers Thread

Like real basketball, as well as basketball video games? Talk about the NBA, NCAA, and other professional and amateur basketball leagues here.

Re: Lakers Thread

Postby Jackal on Wed May 17, 2017 3:38 pm

That would be amazing. Have the Celtics draft Ball in hopes of trading him to LA and Magic saying; nah, I'm good.
Jackal

Postby Sauru on Wed May 17, 2017 5:26 pm

Jackal wrote:That would be amazing. Have the Celtics draft Ball in hopes of trading him to LA and Magic saying; nah, I'm good.

gotta work the deal out before hand. really screw them over like when the magic picked webber. then again having to deal with lavar might be punishment enough for the lakers
Sauru

Postby Jackal on Wed May 17, 2017 7:07 pm

Sauru wrote:
Jackal wrote:That would be amazing. Have the Celtics draft Ball in hopes of trading him to LA and Magic saying; nah, I'm good.

gotta work the deal out before hand. really screw them over like when the magic picked webber. then again having to deal with lavar might be punishment enough for the lakers

Pull a Boozer in Cleveland and back out at the last moment.

Seriously though, Lavar fucking scares me. That dude is Trump level loud.

Another month to go. Seems like the last couple of years have been on repeat. Lakers suck, hope for draft pick, nerves keeping you up till 3.30 am to watch the lottery, Warriors vs Cleveland finals probably - yawn. Hopefully they suck less next year, come home Paul George. (Next off season, don't trade for him Magic, don't you do it.)

I hope nothing a la Kevin Durant joining a super team bullshit happens this off season though. Fuck Kevin Durant. Also the Celtics. Bitch asses are the one seed and get rewarded for raping the Nets.
Jackal

Postby Sauru on Wed May 17, 2017 8:37 pm

Jackal wrote:Also the Celtics. Bitch asses are the one seed and get rewarded for raping the Nets.

lets not forget that we get their pick next year too
Sauru

Postby Jackal on Thu May 18, 2017 12:34 am

I know, as a Boston fan you can't help but love Billy King.

So anyone got a good breakdown of the top three players? Who are the top three players? I think Fultz is uncontested the top pick from the few articles/blurbs I've read, who comes after that?

I really like LakerFilmRoom in their breakdowns since the guy speaks clearly, does a nice job of breaking down the Lakers offense/defense during the year too. Don't know how reliable he is with the reports for these guys but if you're interested, here they are:

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]
Jackal

Postby air gordon on Thu May 18, 2017 1:23 am

congrats on keeping the pick. safe to assume the embarrassment of this past season was worth the draft rights to lonzo ball?

Sauru wrote:we better take fultz. if i had my way we would trade IT while his value was high as i have no faith in his longevity as an "elite" player.

i think i agree with this as great as IT has been, this may be the way to go. a mediocre defensive team like WAS was able to keep him in check for a few games.
Jump.
Scott Skiles answer to the question on how Eddy Curry can become a better rebounder
air gordon

Postby Jackal on Thu May 18, 2017 1:55 am

Wasn't really an embarrassment, what Scott was doing was embarrassing. He didn't play the young guys and just let old scrubs lose games. At least Walton is working with these guys and teaching them shit. Ingram really took a step forward after all star break. They're going to suck for a bit and I'm all right with that. They are rebuilding and it's part of the process. They aren't going to get Shaq-level lucky in FA.

Although it does seem increasingly likely George joins the Lakers.

phpBB [video]

I just hope it's next off-season, trading the pick + players to Indy seems silly given PG13 can leave Indy next year anyways.
Jackal

Postby [Q] on Thu May 18, 2017 2:00 am

Feels like the Lakers are finally (mostly) free from all the bullshit that's held them back for the last little bit. Hopefully they can now start fresh and really build something here
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby air gordon on Thu May 18, 2017 2:00 am

dude. take a step back. they were tanking big time. they would sit out even ingram at half time citing a mysterious knee injury if they were winning games
Jump.
Scott Skiles answer to the question on how Eddy Curry can become a better rebounder
air gordon

Postby Jackal on Thu May 18, 2017 2:17 am

air gordon wrote:dude. take a step back. they were tanking big time. they would sit out even ingram at half time citing a mysterious knee injury if they were winning games

Oh no doubt about that, I don't think anyone sane would say they were actively trying to win as many games as possible. That 5-1 end even made me shake my head and wonder if it would come back to bite us in the ass come lottery time.
Jackal

Postby Andrew on Thu May 18, 2017 2:46 am

If I'm the Pacers' brass, I'm not entirely happy that Magic kinda really did get away with a bit of tampering there.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby [Q] on Thu May 18, 2017 3:10 am

I don't mean the losing. I expected them to lose intentionally because it didn't make sense not to. But there were a lot of distractions in the past couple of years. Stuff like Jim buss not wanting to leave, dangelos home videos, etc
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby air gordon on Thu May 18, 2017 6:10 am

what's the cost of dignity? lonzo ball? haha

hey if you guys are cool with that embarrassing season, right on then. as an outsider it was putrid

how do you feel about the development of russell, randle, and clarkson this past year?
Jump.
air gordon

Postby Jackal on Thu May 18, 2017 7:59 am

To each their own, I'd rather they stink a few years while the Warriors are clobbering the league instead of relying on old guys to show up in their playoff form to help get the team through the first round of the playoffs with not much to build on in the future.

Was it a bad season? Definitely. Was it an ends to a mean? Yup. They are rebuilding, it is what it is.
Jackal

Postby air gordon on Thu May 18, 2017 9:27 am

hey now don't compare your franchise ineptitude to the bulls total ineptitude. misery likes company i suppose lol

i'm not trying to single out the lakers and their blatant tanking. kings, suns, even the mavs are culprits

sitting out guys midway through a game to try and lose a game is just sickening. do lakers fans believe the ends justify the means?

if this is total rebuild why not just give all the minutes the young guys can handle instead of handing out rotation minutes to brewer and world peace out of all players

and what's your opinion of the youngsters development this season?
Jump.
air gordon

Postby Jackal on Thu May 18, 2017 3:40 pm

Those guys got minutes to lose games obviously, that was what was happening. I'm not denying that.

I've mentioned their development over the season, not gonna go on too much about that.

Randle has improved on his bull in the China shop ways, he's still not capable of finishing with his other hand consistently and takes plays off on defense too often.

Nance is a much bigger factor on defense since he's a lot more active and seems to communicate more on the court, he's too hesitant on his offense and should look to take those 16-17 footers he's given by the defense instead of always looking to make the pass.

Clarkson went full ISO, he use to pass and distribute a lot more in his first couple of seasons, now he just dribbles and takes terrible shots. For a guy with his athletic abilities he's pretty terrible defensively as well.

Russell isn't a pure point. At times he plays way too nonchalantly and I can see why he gets benched due to lack of effort. He's too laid back. He has the ability to get hot but needs to work on his decision making and just being consistent.

Watched Ingram the most and pre-all star he'd just stand in the corner hoping for a kick out and throw up a terrible shot. He is lanky yet has good defensive instincts. He's not strong enough so got abused quite often, especially in the post. Post all star break he really started driving the ball to th basket. He took the contact and it gives me hope that after adding some muscle he'll be able to finish some of those plays and get and-1's. He also seemed to shoot better instead of overshooting or being just short as the season progressed.
Jackal

Postby air gordon on Fri May 19, 2017 1:38 am

I'm hoping to see a big step in improvement from Russell. I've mentioned before that he's gotten 3pt happy and would like to see him attack the basket more instead. Maybe another year in Walton's system and enough of the hot hand approach will do him good
Jump.
air gordon

Postby Jackal on Fri May 19, 2017 2:33 am

Agree with that, he used to use the move of keeping his defender on his hip while driving in to the paint early on in the season but abandoned that move entirely a few months in to the season. Perhaps all the talk surrounding Lonzo Ball lights a fire under his ass as well. Really hoping he can be the "leader" of the team. Still think Ingram will be the better overall player down the line but I still have hope for Russell to flourish.

Anyone who knows some about Ball think the two can play together in the back court? Is Ball more of a PG or also similar to Russell in the sense that he's capable of passing but isn't primarily a playmaker? If Russell does play the 2 position he'll have a shit time dealing with opposing teams 2's, is Lonzo a capable defender? Is he similar to any players in the NBA? I know scouting reports touch on all of this but I'd rather hear from someone who watches college basketball.
Jackal

Postby big-shot-ROB on Fri May 19, 2017 3:10 am

Ball is the leader you are looking for. He and Russell can play toghether for sure, at least from an offensive perspective. He is a great playmaker, specially on the fastbreak. I guess one of the reasons Lakers are so in love with him is his playstyle in UCLA reminded everyone of Magic's run&gun style. From a defensive standpoint, that's were problems arise. Ball is not an atrocious defender, but his thin frame will make him get murdered, just like Ingram.
big-shot-ROB
Robert Horry is better than MJ, because everybody knows that 7>6.

Postby air gordon on Fri May 19, 2017 6:14 am

So what kind of player do lakers fans project Ingram to be? He certainly checks off a lot of the boxes. He has the high potential but still has the raw label

Has he shown the natural scoring instincts to be a Kevin Durant?

Maybe a scorer in the Wiggins type with more range?

Or perhaps more of an Odom type. Jack of all trades
Jump.
air gordon

Postby Sauru on Fri May 19, 2017 11:31 am

Jackal wrote:To each their own, I'd rather they stink a few years while the Warriors are clobbering the league instead of relying on old guys to show up in their playoff form to help get the team through the first round of the playoffs with not much to build on in the future.

Was it a bad season? Definitely. Was it an ends to a mean? Yup. They are rebuilding, it is what it is.

this is exactly why i did not want to trade our pick. i rather plan for a time when the warrior and cavs are not destroying the league to be good.

plus we all knew the lakers were going to keep their pick anyway. seeing as the lottery is rigged and all
Sauru

Postby air gordon on Sat May 20, 2017 3:01 pm

You know only a few teams are in a position like the celts. Maybe they are the only ones actually. Teams like the Lakers are rebuilding cuz they have no choice. There is no alternative/ no few moves that will put them into contention. The league's Elite will battle it out without the Lakers permission lol
Jump.
air gordon

Postby Sauru on Sat May 20, 2017 4:19 pm

air gordon wrote:You know only a few teams are in a position like the celts. Maybe they are the only ones actually. Teams like the Lakers are rebuilding cuz they have no choice. There is no alternative/ no few moves that will put them into contention. The league's Elite will battle it out without the Lakers permission lol

the last time the celtics were in a position like this we drafted len bias
Sauru

Postby NovU on Sat May 20, 2017 11:42 pm

air gordon wrote:So what kind of player do lakers fans project Ingram to be? He certainly checks off a lot of the boxes. He has the high potential but still has the raw label

Has he shown the natural scoring instincts to be a Kevin Durant?

Maybe a scorer in the Wiggins type with more range?

Or perhaps more of an Odom type. Jack of all trades

I am not a Lakers fan but...

No, not KD. He deterred a lot on occasions where you would normally want him to take a shot. Not Wiggins either, that guy sucks imo.

Odom seems to fit the bill. Not a bad thing.

Ingram is still one of the youngest in the league(10 month younger than Ben Simmons) so it'll prolly take awhile to see him breakout. Not sure if payoff will be great as anticipated but better late than never I guess.
THX TO DOPE-JAO FOR THE SPECIAL SIG! <3
Enjoy! <3 Jao
NovU
Crap, what am I going to brag about now?

Postby air gordon on Tue May 23, 2017 1:40 am

hey now wiggins was the top 3pt shooter to start the season. holes in the game but still room to improve. if ingram could take a step to where you can run iso's for him late in games like wiggins, i think lakers fans would be ecstatic
Jump.
air gordon

PreviousNext

Return to NBA & Basketball