2008 Celtics Reunion

Like real basketball, as well as basketball video games? Talk about the NBA, NCAA, and other professional and amateur basketball leagues here.

2008 Celtics Reunion

Postby Andrew on Wed May 10, 2017 12:13 am

Minus Ray Allen, of course.

phpBB [video]

“People don’t understand that this is real life for us,” Garnett said. “And the situation with Ray is very sensitive. I think that when we all talked about doing this reunion tour, we was talking about guys who we consider loyal and part of this group. Just being honest, my two cents, man: when Ray decided to go to the Heat, I feel like he moved on, and he went to pursue another ring, and he got another ring. Shout out to him. And that’s it. It wasn’t no other Wizards, it wasn’t no other Heat, it wasn’t no other — it was all Celtics invited to this.”

“How we all came together, we talked about it, we talked every day, we hung out all the time, and then, when it was time for free agency — and to each his own in free agency […] but I thought we formed a brotherhood here in Boston, in just how we carried ourselves, not only on the court, but off the court,” Pierce said. “I just figured that if it was me leaving, or KG leaving, y’all would have been like [mimes picking up a phone], ‘Well, Rondo, Perk, Baby, this is what I’ve been thinking about.’ That was what I was hurt by: when Ray didn’t just at least give us a head’s up about it.”

It’s been years, though, and that pass-by has yet to take place, which suggests that somebody’s going to have to take the first step toward working to reconcile this relationship. (If anybody really wants it reconciled, at least.) Perhaps unsurprisingly, Perkins sees that as Allen’s responsibility.

“At this point in time, I don’t think it’s on nobody on here to break the ice. I think it’s on Ray to break the ice,” he said. “If Ray want to make amends with anybody up here, or whatever the case, I think it’s on him to reach out and say, ‘Hey, P, I handled this wrong. We better than this.’ ‘Hey, Ticket, I handled this wrong.’ ‘Hey, Big Baby, I handled this wrong.’ ‘Hey Rondo, I handled this wrong.’ And just get it past us.”

Thoughts? Judging by some of the comments I've seen elsewhere, opinions are quite polarised. Either they're right on the money and Allen is a shady traitor (or at best, handled his business badly), or they're the ones being incredibly childish and petty, hanging on to an old grudge.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: 2008 Celtics Reunion

Postby Dee4Three on Wed May 10, 2017 12:28 am

This is similar to Westbrooks feelings about Durant, it was the way Durant went about it. I think Westbrook would have taken it better if Durant had given him the proper notice (Which Westbrook deserved) and if they hadn't JUST lost to the Warriors in a 7 game series, and he goes and joins them (Just like Allen joining the Heat)... the "If you can't beat them, join them" attitude doesn't fly when it comes to a brotherhood that has been formed over numerous years.

I personally agree with everything they said, I feel the same way as a fan of the Celtics, and I wasn't even around them everyday.
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Check out my YouTube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvHJXrqit8Dc6HBY5P6EmAA

Follow me on Twitter

https://twitter.com/Dee4Three84
Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Wed May 10, 2017 12:50 am

Funnily enough, it seems that Perkins helped Durant and Westbrook make peace.

I can certainly see their point of view, and it's understandable. Clearly the relationship between Allen and his teammates and Doc Rivers soured. Considering he was on the trading block at times, lost his starting role, and clashed with Rondo (whom it's fair to call a difficult person), there's another side to that story as well. Of course, he could've handled the situation better and given them more of a heads up, given all they'd been through and the bonds that had been established. Of course, if he felt alienated and like those bonds had already been broken, it would explain why he didn't feel the need to tell them.

That segment arguably comes across as pettier than perhaps intended because there's a gossipy vibe to it. Allen isn't there to give his side of the story, which doesn't help. "I'm not apologising, he should apologise" or "He should be the one to make the first move and reach out, he's in the wrong, not me" declarations are always going to sound a bit immature, even if they're not completely unreasonable. In that respect, I can't completely disagree with the criticism, even if I do think they ultimately have a point and are entitled to feel the way they do.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Sauru on Wed May 10, 2017 9:03 am

fuck ray allen
Sauru

Postby Andrew on Wed May 10, 2017 10:09 am

Definitely an unambiguous point of view there, Sauru. :lol:
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby NovU on Wed May 10, 2017 5:21 pm

Welp.

Look how Wade handled it after LBJ totally fucked him over. Opted out of big fat contract to take a pay cut to lure another big free agent only to end up watch Bosh signing the max deal before he died. Still I see him no being a pussy to LeQueen. Listening to those pretentious bastards is tough. Nobody thought of Ray as a friend let alone family. Look who has one more ring. All is well in the end. Family my ass. FACT
THX TO DOPE-JAO FOR THE SPECIAL SIG! <3
Enjoy! <3 Jao
NovU
Crap, what am I going to brag about now?

Postby air gordon on Thu May 11, 2017 4:20 am

Time doesn't heal wounds on this one

I have no idea of how nba brotherhood works out. I'd side with gang green on this one

This reminds me of the fab five on 30 for 30. Jalen Rose produced it and got everyone together to speak on it (though individual interviews) but Webber
Jump.
Scott Skiles answer to the question on how Eddy Curry can become a better rebounder
air gordon

Postby Andrew on Thu May 11, 2017 10:52 am

I guess the moral of the story is that the NBA is a business, except when it isn't.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby bowdown on Thu May 11, 2017 12:07 pm

Ray Allen is smarter than all five of those guys which is why they will never fully understand why he left. All they know is that they feel betrayed which is understandable.
bowdown

Postby Sauru on Thu May 11, 2017 12:21 pm

bowdown wrote:Ray Allen is smarter than all five of those guys which is why they will never fully understand why he left. All they know is that they feel betrayed which is understandable.

ring chasing = smart. so KD is the smartest man in nba history.
Sauru

Postby Andrew on Thu May 11, 2017 12:21 pm

I don't know about smart, but KD is kinda smarmy these days.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby bowdown on Thu May 11, 2017 12:34 pm

Sauru wrote:
bowdown wrote:Ray Allen is smarter than all five of those guys which is why they will never fully understand why he left. All they know is that they feel betrayed which is understandable.

That's a very simplistic assessment of my comment. Watch Ray Allen interviews and watch the way he conducts himself compared to the rest of those guys.
bowdown

Postby Stress Fracture on Thu May 11, 2017 5:59 pm

Rondo was quiet when they were talking about Ray.

They're open to being friends again, it's just that he has to make the first move.
benji wrote:LeBron is such a choker. And people were talking about him as an all-time great. As having possibly surpassed Kobe. What a joke.

velvet bliss wrote:Andrew, you the real MVP.

Andrew wrote:He who flops and flails to the Finals and a title, flops and flails best.
Stress Fracture

Postby Sauru on Thu May 11, 2017 7:00 pm

bowdown wrote:
Sauru wrote:

That's a very simplistic assessment of my comment. Watch Ray Allen interviews and watch the way he conducts himself compared to the rest of those guys.

being intelligent does not automatically make someone right
Sauru

Postby bowdown on Fri May 12, 2017 2:40 pm

Stress Fracture wrote:Rondo was quiet when they were talking about Ray.

They're open to being friends again, it's just that he has to make the first move.

Its because Rondo knows his attitude was a major turn off for Allen and played a part in Allen deciding to leave.
bowdown

Postby [Q] on Sat May 13, 2017 1:03 pm

god i hate everything about this Boston team. can't stand them. Especially with Rondo yapping about how great he is when his no-jumper having ass got carried to a ring

Udonis Haslem on that Celtics team: "You got your ass whooped with Ray and then we got Ray and we whooped your ass again."
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Sauru on Sat May 13, 2017 2:14 pm

Udonis should also include how thankful he is for injuries or that heat team would not have beat the celtics that season.
Sauru

Postby air gordon on Sun May 14, 2017 12:37 am

Don't disrespect playoff Rondo
Jump.
Scott Skiles answer to the question on how Eddy Curry can become a better rebounder
air gordon

Return to NBA & Basketball