NBA 2K17 - Do you find the atmosphere lacking?

Talk about NBA 2K17 here.

Re: NBA 2K17 - Do you find the atmosphere lacking?

Postby StyxTx on Wed May 10, 2017 6:52 am

Dee4Three wrote:
StyxTx wrote:
Dee4Three wrote:They didn't, modders pointed out that both NBA 2K16 and NBA 2K17 had body types that are given to different players, not "scanned" body types. In 2K17, they lowered the number of body types, to just 4 I believe (Going back to NBA 2K14 PC version I believe). So in 2K16, they had more "preset" body types, and in NBA 2K17 they lowered that number of "preset".

I'm not even asking for scanned body types, I'm just asking for players to look like athletes.

Hm. They even had some videos of players getting their bodies scanned. Maybe it was 15.

It was never implemented on any 2k game, people have videos calling out 2k on it on youtube. They advertised it and it never happened.

Well that is better than their usual MO. They put the advertised stuff into the game then take them out with the ensuing patches. That's why I'm not buying until at least a few months have passed after release, unless NBA Live puts out something decent.
Last edited by StyxTx on Wed May 10, 2017 6:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
StyxTx

Postby Dee4Three on Wed May 10, 2017 6:53 am

StyxTx wrote:
Dee4Three wrote:
StyxTx wrote:
Dee4Three wrote:They didn't, modders pointed out that both NBA 2K16 and NBA 2K17 had body types that are given to different players, not "scanned" body types. In 2K17, they lowered the number of body types, to just 4 I believe (Going back to NBA 2K14 PC version I believe). So in 2K16, they had more "preset" body types, and in NBA 2K17 they lowered that number of "preset".

I'm not even asking for scanned body types, I'm just asking for players to look like athletes.

Hm. They even had some videos of players getting their bodies scanned. Maybe it was 15.

It was never implemented on any 2k game, people have videos calling out 2k on it on youtube. They advertised it and it never happened.

Well that is better than their usual MO. They put the advertised stuff into the game then take them out with the ensuing patches.

All the patches....insane...
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Check out my YouTube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvHJXrqit8Dc6HBY5P6EmAA

Follow me on Twitter

https://twitter.com/Dee4Three84
Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby Dee4Three on Wed May 10, 2017 7:12 am

This guy is a bit annoying, but he points out a lot of issues with 2K17. Like how changing the players weight has no impact on the players looks or how he moves, and how making someone Lean, Ripped or Average makes no difference in appearance at all. It's all just for show. Take a look.

phpBB [video]
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby StyxTx on Wed May 10, 2017 7:26 am

Dee4Three wrote:This guy is a bit annoying, but he points out a lot of issues with 2K17. Like how changing the players weight has no impact on the players looks or how he moves, and how making someone Lean, Ripped or Average makes no difference in appearance at all. It's all just for show. Take a look.

phpBB [video]

I'll add that I have seen no evidence that the strength rating means anything either.
StyxTx

Postby Andrew on Wed May 10, 2017 10:32 am

From memory, the scans were of player's tattoos. There was an assumption that it meant authentic body models for everyone, and that misconception was never corrected; presumably because it would have been delivering bad news, which while disappointing would at least have been honest clarification.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby StyxTx on Wed May 10, 2017 11:59 am

Andrew wrote:From memory, the scans were of player's tattoos. There was an assumption that it meant authentic body models for everyone, and that misconception was never corrected; presumably because it would have been delivering bad news, which while disappointing would at least have been honest clarification.

And 2k got involved in a lawsuit because of those tattoos.
StyxTx

Postby Dee4Three on Wed May 10, 2017 11:38 pm

StyxTx, yeah I read about that.

I like the authenticity attempt, but which is more important... the tattoos being 100% accurate, or the players actually looking and moving like professional athletes? Obviously the players looking and moving like professional athletes.....

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Thu May 11, 2017 12:13 am

Ideally both if you're going for as much authenticity as possible, but if it's between the two, body size and shape is more readily noticeable. Of course, even if you stick with seven generally suitable body models, a lot of players in NBA 2K17 have been assigned an unsuitable one, being way too skinny.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Dee4Three on Thu May 11, 2017 12:16 am

Andrew wrote:Ideally both if you're going for as much authenticity as possible, but if it's between the two, body size and shape is more readily noticeable. Of course, even if you stick with seven generally suitable body models, a lot of players in NBA 2K17 have been assigned an unsuitable one, being way too skinny.

Exactly.

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby StyxTx on Thu May 11, 2017 12:47 am

Dee4Three wrote:StyxTx, yeah I read about that.

I like the authenticity attempt, but which is more important... the tattoos being 100% accurate, or the players actually looking and moving like professional athletes? Obviously the players looking and moving like professional athletes.....

I agree, especially since they can put any tattoo on any player and I wouldn't know if it's a real one or not. But all players have their own physique and strength, but you wouldn't know it in the game.
StyxTx

Postby TBM on Fri May 12, 2017 2:19 am

I disagree that the crowd visually is bad. The old videos were way too over the top. That said, audio wise, it needs a ton of work. I keep pointing to this as an example of how it should sound:

phpBB [video]
TBM
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Dee4Three on Fri May 12, 2017 2:53 am

TBM wrote:I disagree that the crowd visually is bad. The old videos were way too over the top. That said, audio wise, it needs a ton of work. I keep pointing to this as an example of how it should sound:

phpBB [video]

The crowd graphically is fine. It's when you actually hear the crowd chanting "defense" (Which sounds horrible in 2K17), or the crowd starts making some noise, you literally can look up into the crowd and see little to no movement at all, like completely still. That is what I am talking about, there has to be a happy medium between 2K17 and the last gen 2k's for atmosphere. I would rather have the crowd showing to much movement (Which actually goes with the sounds of the game), than the crowd sounds happening and seeing NO movement. That's the point I am making.

Not to mention the fact that the "defense" chants in 2K17 keep going even after you get the ball back and get a stop, it's really awkward. It's like the player celebrations, they just keep going, and you want them to stop... but you can't get them to stop.

That atmosphere in next gen PC 2k has been very disappointing to me.

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Previous

Return to NBA 2K17