NBA Playgrounds

Talk about any and all other basketball video games including NBA Jam, NBA Street, college basketball games, and more. General basketball video game discussion and comparison topics are also welcome here.

Re: NBA Playgrounds

Postby Andrew on Tue May 09, 2017 7:21 pm

Kobe and Reggie? That's certainly interesting.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby R4zoR on Tue May 09, 2017 7:26 pm

Andrew wrote:Kobe and Reggie? That's certainly interesting.

Don't forget the GOAT Anthony Bennett
R4zoR has been modding video games for 10 years now, if you want to help me out in the process financially. You can do so by clicking on this link https://www.paypal.me/modderr4zor I will be more than grateful, for the support.
R4zoR
10 years of modding
Contributor

Postby Rodzilla91 on Tue May 09, 2017 7:42 pm

Wonder why Bennett is in there.. doesn't he play for some team overseas?

And I also wonder if Reggie is in there because they're in the works of getting an agreement, or if it never came through and they just left his data in there.. Would be so sick to have RM as one of your players though, just sit at 3 and shoot

edit: Can anyone tell me how packs are received? Any in game currency or do you just earn them by playing? either way.. it's cool it doesn't rely on micro-transactions, I know it's an amazing way to make money, but gaming wise it really separates people that grind and play their best compared to people that want to waste hundreds of bucks on it. I'm not gonna get into that though, if you have the money, do as you please
Rodzilla91

Postby R4zoR on Tue May 09, 2017 7:47 pm

Rodzilla91 wrote:Wonder why Bennett is in there.. doesn't he play for some team overseas?

And I also wonder if Reggie is in there because they're in the works of getting an agreement, or if it never came through and they just left his data in there.. Would be so sick to have RM as one of your players though, just sit at 3 and shoot

I did find that Kevin Garnett and Bernard King are in the hidden list aswell, so there's 6 hidden players for now, that i have managed to find. Some of them have cards made, some of them with full models/textures.
R4zoR has been modding video games for 10 years now, if you want to help me out in the process financially. You can do so by clicking on this link https://www.paypal.me/modderr4zor I will be more than grateful, for the support.
R4zoR
10 years of modding
Contributor

Postby Rodzilla91 on Tue May 09, 2017 8:01 pm

KG would be sick.. wouldnt mind a BK either. Thank you for your tedious work with this haha
Rodzilla91

Postby R4zoR on Tue May 09, 2017 8:05 pm

Rodzilla91 wrote:KG would be sick.. wouldnt mind a BK either. Thank you for your tedious work with this haha

No problem, this is kinda ruining the fun part, the "surprise" factor i guess but eh, it's still interesting.
About the players, Bennett, Ben Wallace only have shoe textures for now, about Garnett, dunno which look this is going to be, you decide.
http://i.imgur.com/wk4a11i.jpg
R4zoR
10 years of modding
Contributor

Postby Andrew on Tue May 09, 2017 8:10 pm

Looks like a later KG, given the beard.

Could certainly be scrapped content for players they couldn't include, perhaps they'll add them later if they come to an agreement. It wouldn't be the first time there are leftover assets in a video game.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Rodzilla91 on Tue May 09, 2017 8:29 pm

Is there a shot meter or do you time it by the animation?
Rodzilla91

Postby R4zoR on Tue May 09, 2017 8:40 pm

The hidden player cards ( Kobe, Reggie, Ben Wallace has none for now)
Bernard King, KG, Bennett
R4zoR
10 years of modding
Contributor

Postby [Q] on Wed May 10, 2017 12:02 am

Obviously they started making the game thinking that Bennett would be good enough to stay in the league. Plus the nets are really short on talent outside of Lin and Brook
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Jonny2k on Wed May 10, 2017 10:21 am

Any news on how accessible the textures are in this game? I really want to work on those player models since most of players look terrible and nothing like their real-life counterparts.
Jonny2k

Postby zzcoolj21 on Wed May 10, 2017 10:23 am

Jonny2k wrote:Any news on how accessible the textures are in this game? I really want to work on those player models since most of players look terrible and nothing like their real-life counterparts.

I don't think they're meant to look realistic lol.

All of the textures are accessible, just can't import them back at the moment.
zzcoolj21
20% on Good release machine, The NLSC's Jr Smith

Postby Jonny2k on Wed May 10, 2017 10:31 am

zzcoolj21 wrote:
Jonny2k wrote:Any news on how accessible the textures are in this game? I really want to work on those player models since most of players look terrible and nothing like their real-life counterparts.

I don't think they're meant to look realistic lol.

All of the textures are accessible, just can't import them back at the moment.

Ah, ok. My point is that some of the characters aren't even good characterizations of the players. Ex: Brandon Ingram a few posts above.

I'm really hoping that there's a possibility to create completely new players and importing them back in.
Jonny2k

Postby TBM on Wed May 10, 2017 10:33 am

I figured out how to do it. I made all the files work outside of the pak file.

Modding is a go. Will post more on this soon.
TBM
Contributor
Contributor

Postby zzcoolj21 on Wed May 10, 2017 10:41 am

TBM wrote:I figured out how to do it. I made all the files work outside of the pak file.

[ Image ]

Modding is a go. Will post more on this soon.

zzcoolj21

Postby Andrew on Wed May 10, 2017 10:41 am

Excellent news!
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby TBM on Wed May 10, 2017 11:17 am

The next step would be to figure out how to edit the uasset files.
TBM
Contributor
Contributor

Postby zzcoolj21 on Wed May 10, 2017 11:44 am

TBM wrote:The next step would be to figure out how to edit the uasset files.

I know they open in unreal engine. I dont know anything else about them though.
zzcoolj21

Postby [Q] on Wed May 10, 2017 12:31 pm

Got it on PS4. Opened the 3 free packs, starting with my Penny/Mutombo combo
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby CarolusXCI on Wed May 10, 2017 12:56 pm

awesome stuff
CarolusXCI

Postby bowdown on Wed May 10, 2017 3:43 pm

So far the game has pretty good reviews all over the internet.
bowdown

Postby zzcoolj21 on Wed May 10, 2017 5:03 pm

Downloading the ps4 version now. Online play has actually been pretty stable on pc so far.
zzcoolj21

Postby Andrew on Wed May 10, 2017 6:07 pm

My first impressions...honestly? Disappointment.

Way too many dunks and layups are missed, especially for an arcade game. Blocking feels stiff and unresponsive, with your player often going straight up when you don't want them to, and going anywhere else when you want them to go straight up. The perfect shot bonuses are pure cheese, and just as bad as I feared they'd be. The "call for alley-oop" control feels broken, as there's a huge delay in your teammate even thinking about getting into position and trying for one. Slow motion dunks are annoying.

To call this a poor man's NBA Jam would be being very kind. I certainly feel like I've wasted my money.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby zzcoolj21 on Wed May 10, 2017 6:23 pm

Interesting. I haven't had that many problems with it. The extent of my issues have been with the fact that layup timing is very inconsistent to say the least.

The perfect release bonus has been pretty rare in online play. Maybe once or twice a game for each player. I haven't been missing dunks that much either.

I'd say It's a case of "you get what you pay for" for now. A lot of the issues people have had seem to be them not adjusting to the system rather than the system being at fault. But, to be fair, it does take some adjustment In comparison to the casual arcade basketball game. After beating the tournament mode the game gets a lot easier and more enjoyable to play (at least for me).

I like the game so far. Plus, tuning updates will come in shortly to deal with how overpowered steals are.

I would recommend waiting for the updates before buying.
zzcoolj21

Postby Andrew on Wed May 10, 2017 6:33 pm

To me, things like inconsistency on shot timing are a pretty big problem. Defensive rebounding is terrible. Crossover moves don't really do anything, and don't seem to follow any rhyme or reason as far as the different directions on the stick are concerned. Sprint depletes too quickly, and regenerates too slowly. Tried to play a game online, waited ages, connection lost.

"You get what you pay for" doesn't absolve other video games of criticism, and it doesn't absolve NBA Playgrounds of it either. This is just bad. It shouldn't have been allowed out of beta. This doesn't even hold a candle to the original SNES port of NBA Jam.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

PreviousNext

Return to Other Basketball Games