NLSC Podcast #521: No NBA License? No Problem!

Talk about the NLSC Podcast, Monday Tip-Off, Wayback Wednesday, The Friday Five, Top 10 Plays of the Week, and our Parsec Tournaments! This is also a section for NLSC and community announcements, and other site-related topics.

Re: NLSC Podcast - Episode #200 (April 14th, 2017)

Postby [Q] on Sat Apr 15, 2017 12:00 pm

Congrats on 200 guys
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Re: NLSC Podcast - Episode #200 (April 14th, 2017)

Postby Andrew on Sat Apr 15, 2017 12:35 pm

Thanks Q. :)
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: NLSC Podcast - Episode #201 (April 20th, 2017)

Postby Andrew on Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:15 pm

Episode #201 (April 20th, 2017)

Hosts: Andrew & Kenny

Episode #201 of the NLSC Podcast is out now! Join Kenny and I as we speculate on NBA Live 18, react to a couple of leaks, and talk about the first few games of the 2017 NBA Playoffs. And as always, we discuss Our Week in Basketball Gaming!

On this week's show...

• We highly recommend checking out Operation Sports' interview with the NBA 2K team, for an insight into the development of the games, what it's like to work in the industry, and how to give the best constructive feedback. And to see JaoSming and Leftos, of course.
  • A couple of off-screen photos of NBA Live 18 have emerged. There's not much to be gleaned from such blurry images, but there are a couple of points of interest worth talking about.
  • Do we think the cover player for NBA Live 18 will be revealed before EA Play?
  • Will (and should) EA Sports begin promoting NBA Live 18 during the Playoffs, or perhaps the NBA Finals?
  • Our Week in Basketball Gaming has included some experimenting with "Start Today" in MyLEAGUE, a failed attempt at a second MyCAREER, and an expanding MyTEAM collection. A few ideas for future games are also discussed.
  • We wrap up Episode #201 of the NLSC Podcast with some discussion of the first few games of the 2017 NBA Playoffs, which has seen a couple of surprising results.

Click here to listen to the show!

Have some thoughts on the latest episode? Sound off right here in the Forum! Also, if there's a topic you'd like us to discuss in the next episode of the NLSC Podcast, feel free to hit us up in this thread.

Never miss an episode by subscribing to the NLSC Podcast on iTunes! You can also find us on Stitcher.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: NLSC Podcast - Episode #201 (April 20th, 2017)

Postby Andrew on Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:23 pm

Spotlighting the NBA Live 18 discussion from last week's show:

phpBB [video]

Episode #202 will be recorded and released soon, so stay tuned.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: NLSC Podcast - Episode #202 (April 28th, 2017)

Postby Andrew on Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:41 am

Episode #202 (April 28th, 2017)

Episode #202 of the NLSC Podcast is out now! Join Kenny and I as we talk about the NBA Playgrounds roster reveal, Hassan Whiteside's dissatisfaction with his ratings in NBA 2K17, insights into MyTEAM pack odds, and the latest action from the 2017 NBA Playoffs. And as always, we recap our past week in basketball gaming!

On this week's show...

• The roster for NBA Playgrounds has been revealed. Some of the inclusions and omissions were rather surprising, but we're still looking forward to the game.
  • Hassan Whiteside isn't exactly satisfied with his ratings in NBA 2K17, and he wasn't shy about letting his feelings be known on Twitter. We wonder whether other players have felt similarly insulted over the years.
  • A post over on Reddit has shed some interesting insights into pack odds in MyTEAM. We once again give our thoughts on the fairness of packs in NBA 2K17.
  • Our Week in Basketball Gaming has featured disappointment over the lack of a 2K TV screenshot in MyCAREER, new MyCOURT digs in the woods, and MyTEAM challenges. A discussion of Freestyle2: Street Basketball also leads us to reminisce about the days when the market was awash with hoops titles.
  • We wrap up Episode #202 of the NLSC Podcast with a recap of the recent action from the 2017 Playoffs, as well as our thoughts on three point guards: Rajon Rondo, Damian Lillard, and Chris Paul.

Have some thoughts on the latest episode? Sound off right here in the Forum! Also, if there's a topic you'd like us to discuss in the next episode of the NLSC Podcast, feel free to hit us up in this thread.

Never miss an episode by subscribing to the NLSC Podcast on iTunes! You can also find us on Stitcher.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby mp3 on Thu May 04, 2017 6:06 am

I don't play myteam but I get the card values but shouldn't they make a special deck for legends like Jordan, Joel Anthony and LaVar Ball that you can only use for one game that guarantees victory??
Youtube - mp3 Basketball Gaming
mp3

Postby Dee4Three on Thu May 04, 2017 6:51 am

mp3 wrote:I don't play myteam but I get the card values but shouldn't they make a special deck for legends like Jordan, Joel Anthony and LaVar Ball that you can only use for one game that guarantees victory??

2K won't sign Lavar Ball, because he would want BBB to be a part of it.

Our loss... sigh.
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Check out my YouTube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvHJXrqit8Dc6HBY5P6EmAA

Follow me on Twitter

https://twitter.com/Dee4Three84
Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby mp3 on Thu May 04, 2017 7:02 am

Dee4Three wrote:
mp3 wrote:I don't play myteam but I get the card values but shouldn't they make a special deck for legends like Jordan, Joel Anthony and LaVar Ball that you can only use for one game that guarantees victory??

Our loss... sigh.

And 2k struggle to make Steph Curry realistic in the game so what chance do they have with LaVar?
mp3

Postby Dee4Three on Thu May 04, 2017 7:05 am

mp3 wrote:
Dee4Three wrote:

Our loss... sigh.

And 2k struggle to make Steph Curry realistic in the game so what chance do they have with LaVar?

They don't have a chance. It would mean that if you played Jordan with him one on one in blacktop, he would have to crush him 21-1.... 2k can't make that happen.

Lavar is far to strong, big, and tough for 2K to make him right. Strength rating only goes up to 99, it would need to go up to 299 in order to be realistic.
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Check out my YouTube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvHJXrqit8Dc6HBY5P6EmAA

Follow me on Twitter

https://twitter.com/Dee4Three84
Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Thu May 04, 2017 10:22 am

Also, it couldn't be NBA 2K18. It'd have to be Lonzo Ball's NBA 2K18, with him as the cover player, maxed out 99 Overall (but not quite as good as LaVar, of course), and Michael Jordan would have to be removed.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Andrew on Thu May 04, 2017 1:57 pm

I'm a bit late in getting them up on the YouTube channel since we'll have a new episode out once we've recorded it later today, but here are some clips from Episode #202.

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: NLSC Podcast - Episode #203 (May 5th, 2017)

Postby Andrew on Fri May 05, 2017 12:42 pm

Episode #203 (May 5th, 2017)

Episode #203 of the NLSC Podcast is out now! Kenny and I are your hosts this week, and our conversation covers the latest NBA Playgrounds news, Beluba's plans for NBA 2K's shooting mechanics, NBA Live 18's direction, and the latest from the 2017 NBA Playoffs.

On this week's show...

• NBA Playgrounds has a confirmed release date of May 9th. Polygon's preview provided us with some new info on the game, and we're still very much looking forward to it.
  • Mike Wang (aka Beluba) posted an insight into his plans for shooting mechanics in future NBA 2K games, specifically his desire to wean gamers off automatic makes on Green releases. We give our thoughts on the matter.
  • Following on from this week's Monday Tip-Off article, we discuss whether it would be a good idea for NBA Live 18 to take a more traditional approach, in order to capitalise on the dissatisfaction some gamers have with certain aspects of NBA 2K's direction.
  • Our Week in Basketball Gaming includes a head-to-head showdown in MyTEAM, expanding collections, and a refreshingly enjoyable run in both 2K Pro-Am and MyPARK.
  • The 2017 NBA Playoffs roll on into the second round. LeBron reaches a milestone, prompting thoughts from the (alleged) resident bitter insecure hater. Also, Paul Pierce's retirement, Tony Parker's injury, Isaiah Thomas' big night, and some predictions.
  • We wrap up Episode #203 of the NLSC Podcast with some quick thoughts on the new BIG3 league, which recently completed its draft.

Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: NLSC Podcast - Episode #203 (April 5th, 2017)

Postby mp3 on Sun May 07, 2017 4:13 pm

I was thinking about a player like Chris Paul who was a legendary player that just didn't for one reason or another have the help around him and which passed player you could compare him too and I know this player got his team to the finals and also won the mvp award but what about Allen Iverson, that team wouldn't of made the playoffs without him.
mp3

Postby Andrew on Sun May 07, 2017 4:35 pm

I think that's fair. Tracy McGrady is another example. Great player, but just didn't have the teams to make a legitimate run in the Playoffs.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Andrew on Wed May 10, 2017 11:00 am

Some clips from last week's show. I'm trying to get into the habit of regularly posting a few each week over on our YouTube channel.

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: NLSC Podcast - Episode #204 (May 12th, 2017)

Postby Andrew on Fri May 12, 2017 10:54 am

Episode #204 (May 12th, 2017)

Hosts: Andrew & Arcane

Episode #204 of the NLSC Podcast is out now! Join Arcane and I as we discuss the NBA 2K18 Legend Edition cover reveal, give our initial impressions of NBA Playgrounds, and talk about the burnout and cynicism we sometimes feel when it comes to giving constructive feedback.

On this week's show...

• Shaquille O'Neal has been revealed as the cover player for the Legend Edition of NBA 2K18. We also know the release date and the pre-order bonuses. Does all that VC suggest another tough grind this year?
  • Charles Barkley has revealed what it will take for him to appear in NBA 2K18.
  • NBA Playgrounds has been released, and we have some initial impressions to share. One of us is a little more positive than the other.
  • Referring back to a Monday Tip-Off article from a few weeks ago, we discuss the burnout and cynicism that can arise after years of talking about improvements to basketball video games, and compiling feedback for developers.
  • It pains us to say it as long-time NBA fans, but we're just not feeling this year's Playoffs.
  • We wrap up Episode #204 of the NLSC Podcast with Our Week in Basketball Gaming, which included another brief but enjoyable session of 2K Pro-Am in NBA 2K17.

Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: NLSC Podcast - Episode #205 (May 18th, 2017)

Postby Andrew on Fri May 19, 2017 12:12 am

Episode #205 (May 18th, 2017)

Episode #205 of the NLSC Podcast is out now! Join Kenny and I as we share some more thoughts on NBA Playgrounds, reflect on a touching moment in our modding community, and catch up on the latest results from the 2017 NBA Playoffs.

On this week's show...

• A new member in our Forum who's going through a difficult time made a mod request, which was quickly fulfilled. We've got a good thing going.
  • Following on from last week's Podcast and Sunday Substitute article, we provide some updated impressions of NBA Playgrounds. One of us is a little more positive this time around!
  • Our Week in Basketball Gaming has not only consisted of some games of NBA Playgrounds, but also a fun run of 2K Pro-Am victories, and successful MyTEAM challenges.
  • We wrap up Episode #205 of the NLSC Podcast with some thoughts on the 2017 NBA Playoffs, which have reached the Conference Finals. Zaza Pachulia not surprisingly gets a mention.

Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: NLSC Podcast - Episode #205 (May 18th, 2017)

Postby Andrew on Tue May 23, 2017 2:26 am

A couple of clips from Episode #205:

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: NLSC Podcast - Episode #206 (May 27th, 2017)

Postby Andrew on Sat May 27, 2017 12:04 pm

Episode #206 (May 27th, 2017)

Episode #206 of the NLSC Podcast is out now! We're a little late this week due to some technical difficulties, but everything has been sorted out, so Arcane and I are coming at you with our thoughts on the latest news in basketball gaming, some tales from our basketball gaming experiences over the past week, and a few thoughts on the forthcoming 2017 NBA Finals.

On this week's show...

• We've received our first proper glimpse at NBA Live 18, including a bunch of screenshots and some cinematic gameplay clips. We reflect on some of the community's reactions, and provide our own take.
  • The PC versions of NBA 2K14 and NBA 2K15 are no longer available on Steam, which is potentially bad news for completionists and retro basketball gamers.
  • NBA Playgrounds has received a big patch on PC and PlayStation 4, containing several tweaks and additions demonstrating that Saber Interactive are paying close attention to gamer feedback.
  • Our Week in Basketball Gaming includes a long-awaited cutscene in MyCAREER, and another decent session of 2K Pro-Am.
  • We wrap up Episode #206 of the NLSC Podcast with some NBA talk. Topics include LeBron James' new milestone, predictions for the 2017 NBA Finals, and Chris Bosh's future.

Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: NLSC Podcast - Episode #206 (May 27th, 2017)

Postby Andrew on Mon May 29, 2017 5:32 pm

Clips from Episode #206:

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: NLSC Podcast - Episode #207 (June 3rd, 2017)

Postby Andrew on Sat Jun 03, 2017 10:49 am

Episode #207 (June 3rd, 2017)

Episode #207 of the NLSC Podcast is out now! Join Arcane and I as we discuss the NBA 2K18 cover reveal, our hopes and expectations for NBA Live 18 following the first trailer, Game 1 of the 2017 NBA Finals, and a couple of other topics.

On this week's show...

• Kyrie Irving has been revealed as the cover player for NBA 2K18. We give our thoughts on the choice, and reflect on some past cover players.
  • Now that we've seen the first trailer for NBA Live 18, what are our hopes and expectations for this year's game from EA Sports?
  • Having played a few games of NBA Playgrounds with the new patch, we've got some further impressions to share.
  • Our Week in Basketball Gaming included one of the most frustrating 2K Pro-Am sessions to date, and a couple of MyCAREER games.
  • The 2017 NBA Finals is underway, and the Golden State Warriors certainly made a statement in Game 1.
  • We wrap up Episode #207 of the NLSC Podcast with news on some merch!

Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: NLSC Podcast - Episode #207 (June 3rd, 2017)

Postby Andrew on Sun Jun 04, 2017 8:57 pm

This week's clips:

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: NLSC Podcast - Episode #208 (June 9th, 2017)

Postby Andrew on Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:49 am

Episode #208 (June 9th, 2017)

Hosts: Andrew, Arcane, & Kenny

Episode #208 of the NLSC Podcast is out now! Join Arcane, Kenny, and I for a discussion of all the recent NBA Live 18 news, previews, and rumours, a look ahead to EA Play, thoughts on the latest action from the 2017 NBA Finals, and more.

On this week's show...

• A listing on Game Informer led to rumours of a PC release for NBA Live 18, which unfortunately isn't going to happen. Nevertheless, an eventual return to the PC platform is something we'd like to see for NBA Live.
  • New gameplay footage, screenshots, and a couple of tidbits of information about NBA Live 18 have come out of a recent event in New York. We're liking what we're seeing, and intrigued by what we've read.
  • What kind of information and previews are we hoping to see at EA Play? We talk a little about our expectations for the event.
  • Our Week in Basketball Gaming has seen further progress in NBA Playgrounds, a dubious record almost set in 2K Pro-Am, and the triumphant return of Kiki Vandeweghe in MyTEAM.
  • We wrap up Episode #208 of the NLSC Podcast with a few thoughts on the NBA Finals. Even if we're not exactly hating the results so far, it's hardly a contender for Best Finals Ever...in our humble opinion, anyway. At least Game 3 was close, right?

Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: NLSC Podcast - Episode #208 (June 9th, 2017)

Postby Andrew on Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:40 pm

Selected clips from last week's episode:

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: NLSC Podcast - Episode #209 (June 15th, 2017)

Postby Andrew on Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:55 pm

Episode #209 (June 15th, 2017)

Episode #209 of the NLSC Podcast is out now! Join Arcane and I as we give our thoughts on all the NBA Live 18 news coming out of EA Play, discuss a couple of other basketball gaming tidbits from the past week, and share a few final thoughts on the 2017 NBA season.

On this week's show...

• Coming out of EA Play 2017, we now know about The One, the new single player career mode in NBA Live 18. From the basic concept to the approach to Playstyles, it's definitely sounding good.
  • A lot of the hands-on impressions of NBA Live 18 have also been very positive, which has us feeling quite optimistic. A couple of other details are also potentially quite promising.
  • Opponents quitting on you in online games of NBA 2K? 2K Support has some...interesting advice.
  • The latest patch for NBA Playgrounds has continued the trend of adding more content and making some very welcome fixes and adjustments.
  • We answer a listener question: would we like to see a story-driven career mode in NBA Live, similar to what we've seen in MyCAREER?
  • Our Week in Basketball Gaming included our most enjoyable 2K Pro-Am game in a while...after some more frustrating contests, of course.
  • With the Golden State Warriors' victory in Game 5, the 2017 NBA Finals are over...of course, the MJ vs. LeBron debate is not.
  • We wrap up Episode #209 of the NLSC Podcast with a short discussion of Jerry West's new role with the Los Angeles Clippers, and the announcement regarding 3-on-3 basketball at the 2020 Olympic Games in Tokyo.

Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

PreviousNext

Return to Featured Content & Community Noticeboard