NBA Live 18

Talk about NBA Live 18 here.

Re: NBA Live 18

Postby Andrew on Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:53 am

They do have signature animations, but the amount pales in comparison to NBA 2K. I agree that it does contribute significantly to the authenticity and aesthetic appeal.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby StyxTx on Sat Apr 15, 2017 12:41 pm

Funny. All the games I've played and I never noticed shot animations, or shoes, or clothes, or jewelry, or ..........
StyxTx

Postby Andrew on Sat Apr 15, 2017 12:54 pm

I wouldn't put signature moves and animations in the same category as player clothes and jewellery.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby StyxTx on Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:40 pm

Andrew wrote:I wouldn't put signature moves and animations in the same category as player clothes and jewellery.

I threw those in there because those are the most common complaints, by so many people, about what needs to be improved.
StyxTx

Postby Andrew on Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:58 pm

Either way, signature moves and animations are all part of authenticity, so it's not an unreasonable expectation.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Crunky on Sun Apr 16, 2017 1:53 am

It's the stiff animations that kill the gameplay I know they want to add the feeling of weight to the players but it's simply overdone where it feels like where controlling an 18Wheeler Truck.
Crunky

Postby Dee4Three on Sun Apr 16, 2017 8:29 am

Crunky wrote:It's the stiff animations that kill the gameplay I know they want to add the feeling of weight to the players but it's simply overdone where it feels like where controlling an 18Wheeler Truck.

Yes, it's the stiff, herky jerky robotic animations that truly kill the gameplay.
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Check out my YouTube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvHJXrqit8Dc6HBY5P6EmAA

Follow me on Twitter

https://twitter.com/Dee4Three84
Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby StyxTx on Sun Apr 16, 2017 10:02 am

Crunky wrote:It's the stiff animations that kill the gameplay I know they want to add the feeling of weight to the players but it's simply overdone where it feels like where controlling an 18Wheeler Truck.

I definitely agree. I will go to play 2k after playing a game or two of The Show, and the 2k animations tend to cause me to quit the game in a matter of minutes. The comparison between the animations in the two games is like night and day. And before anyone says baseball animations are easier to do, 2k's baseball game was awful with the animations also, herky jerky and whatnot.

Of course, 2k's baseball game is dead now but that's what real good competition did to it. Now, if we can just get real good competition to 2k's basketball game....
StyxTx

Postby [Q] on Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:06 am

But it's always been a question of Live's quick responsive animations vs 2K's long pretty animations that you get stuck in. One isn't better than the other but you need a good balance between the two
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:26 am

Responsiveness has also been a problem with NBA Live since the reboot with NBA Live 14. The game needs to look and feel better.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby [Q] on Sun Apr 16, 2017 2:35 pm

True, I meant more historically than currently. responsiveness wasn't too bad in 15 but it got worse and was a reason why I didn't get 16. I remember the spin move loading screen and attempting it but could never find the exact time where you would need to input that half circle. Could never get it doing random stick waggling either.
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Sun Apr 16, 2017 3:31 pm

Absolutely. Actually, the funny thing is, back in the PS2 era I'd say NBA Live had better looking animations as well. There were some weird dunk and layup animations in the PS2 era NBA 2K games that don't hold up as well as some of NBA Live's animations from the same generation, and weird rim interactions. Weirdly, NBA Live's rim interactions are still a bit better than NBA 2K's as far as players gripping them on dunks, and when something looks good in NBA Live it does look quite good. Of course, there's a lot that currently does not look good, and the stuff that looks bad tends to look really bad.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Patr1ck on Sun Apr 16, 2017 9:47 pm

Somebody posted years ago about a theory they had regarding why NBA Live characters appeared stiff and robotic. They said it was due to the amount of motion capture balls on the performers back. They showed that 2K had 5 or 6 and covered the left and right part of the back and shoulder blades. NBA Live only had 3 or 4 motion capture balls going up the spine, iirc.

When you look at Live gameplay, focus on the player's torso. Doesn't it seem to remain straight most of the time? Could that be the reason Live animations appear stiff or robotic?
Patr1ck
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Andrew on Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:32 am

Definitely an interesting theory, I hadn't noticed that in various behind the scenes features. Seems plausible.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Dee4Three on Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:54 am

After watching the 4 part series with the NBA 2K crew, I wonder where the EA Sports Live people are? I know the obvious, they are working on the game, but maybe a more personalized approach? Maybe a LIVE panel?
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:56 am

Perhaps it's something they'll look to do in the future, once the game is in better standing with the fanbase.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Dee4Three on Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:58 am

Andrew wrote:Perhaps it's something they'll look to do in the future, once the game is in better standing with the fanbase.

That would help it be in better standing... it would prove they are listening to us..

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:01 am

Possibly. I could also see a lot of people saying "talk is cheap", though. After all, not everyone received the chat with the 2K guys warmly, and their games have been more successful.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Dee4Three on Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:03 am

True.

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:18 am

I think EA are going to be careful with promotion and things like that, at least until they can get a game out that's well-received and they've won back a bigger portion of the userbase. They probably realise that at this point they need to show, not tell, and that gamers are going to be less interested in hearing from them unless it's delivering good news about a game. That being said, I could see it being something they'd be open to down the road, if all goes well.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby mp3 on Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:20 pm

I'd actually like it if EA didn't over hype this years game because it only leads to disappointing results.

Just tell us what the game modes are, confirm roster management, upload screenshots and then just release the game.

The real people who can judge the game for what it is will be silenced so don't overhype just release and let the people judge for themselves
Youtube - mp3 Basketball Gaming
mp3

Postby Andrew on Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:24 pm

I'd like them to go into detail with developer blogs, so we know some of the specifics, but other than that I agree. The game needs to speak for itself, to some extent at any rate.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby StyxTx on Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:50 pm

mp3 wrote:I'd actually like it if EA didn't over hype this years game because it only leads to disappointing results.

Just tell us what the game modes are, confirm roster management, upload screenshots and then just release the game.

The real people who can judge the game for what it is will be silenced so don't overhype just release and let the people judge for themselves

This is an excellent point. The way game companies hype the games, they are setting users up for a letdown. Almost always. I'd prefer them to just tell us what's in the game, as you say, and tell us what is new without talking like it's the 2nd coming of Christ.
StyxTx

Postby StyxTx on Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:53 pm

Andrew wrote:Possibly. I could also see a lot of people saying "talk is cheap", though. After all, not everyone received the chat with the 2K guys warmly, and their games have been more successful.

Could be cuz the 2k people took the coward way out and wouldn't talk about what people want them to talk about. I guess they didn't have any logical reasons for the stuff they've done to the game.

But yes, talk is cheap.

People can say anything but putting words into action is much harder. I never pay attention to what people say, IRL. I watch what they do.
StyxTx

Postby Patr1ck on Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:46 am

So, tickets to EA Play are free, and all you have to do is register.

https://www.ea.com/en-us/news/ea-play-2 ... -available
Patr1ck
Administrator
Administrator

PreviousNext

Return to NBA Live 18