NBA 2K17 - Why do you still play on 2k view?

Talk about NBA 2K17 here.

NBA 2K17 - Why do you still play on 2k view?

Postby Dee4Three on Wed Apr 12, 2017 4:32 am

Hi all,

I love the broadcast view, all of our NBA basketball memories are from the broadcast point of view. Also, the game plays much better on that POV for me, because I can see the space better between myself and the defender/offensive player, and I can also see how close I am to the baseline/hoop better, and I don't need to worry about the court turning on change of possession.

I know that 2k view is the original view, but I want to get your feedback on why exactly you prefer that view. I've seen many people even say "You aren't playing 2k if you are not playing on the 2k view", or "You must be junk at the game if you are not playing on the 2k view", when this is clearly not the case. Not only is it far more realistic to play on the broadcast view (Whether it be broadcast stadium, or my preferred, broadcast generic where we can tweak the height and zoom), but it makes more sense for the gameplay.

I almost equate this to the PC users who say "If you are using a gamepad for X game, you are a noob, or cant be good at it, or are missing out". Is it more just a thing that's set in peoples heads after doing it for so long?

I see no advantages to the 2k view over broadcast view. If you have watched my highlight videos, you will notice I have great command over the on court action, AND the highlights themselves look like they would on TV.

Look at my gameplay video here, where my brother and I have complete control, and it looks like TV. Aren't these more exciting?

phpBB [video]

Now look at 2k view.

phpBB [video]

Now look at 2k12 on broadcast view.

phpBB [video]

Look at the comments on this video, it seems most prefer broadcast. But all I really see on NLSC is 2k view (Other than Manni Live)

phpBB [video]
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Check out my YouTube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvHJXrqit8Dc6HBY5P6EmAA

Follow me on Twitter

https://twitter.com/Dee4Three84
Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Re: NBA 2K17 - Why do you still play on 2k view?

Postby [Q] on Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:21 am

I stopped playing on broadcast/TV view around Live 2005/06. I felt it gave me a better look at passing lanes and openings in the defense and it's a bit more realistic for me as it's as if I were on the court playing
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Dee4Three on Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:29 am

I've read that, that people feel like its them on the court. But, it's not like it's first person, it's still 3rd person. The distance between the players is troubling on 2k view (especially since the protected shot came around). With 2k view, you can't really tell the distance between the two players, and you can't judge the distance between yourself and the baseline/hoop very well. Doesn't that stuff bother you?
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby [Q] on Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:53 am

If the camera is a bit higher up, you can get a better idea of how close the defender is to you but I never drive baseline lol

It's not perfect, but i like it better.
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby StyxTx on Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:56 am

The trouble with most cameras is that I can't see if someone on my team is breaking down court for me to throw to for a fast break. I like the camera where I can see all the way down the court.
StyxTx

Postby Dee4Three on Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:32 am

I see the "seeing up the court better" as a decent reason, however, I feel like otherwise it has to many limitations. I think catching the ball in the corner, and driving hard baseline is a big part of basketball (I play, and its a huge part of a perimeter players game), as well as a post up players game to spin baseline (See David Robinson/Hakeem/Ewing, etc).

In regards to seeing up the court better, broadcast with height 5 and zoom 1 or 2, allows you to get a board and see about to halfcourt (roughly), in 2k, they discourage the long pass so much that 99% of the time the ball goes sailing over the players head after the pass anyway. So for me, that is zero impact. And it also seems that the CPU In this game refrains from making those long passes anyway.

I guess I think of it as the whole experience, like when you boot up the game and start playing. Wouldn't you want the experience that you have experienced with all your memories of the NBA?

I was actually surprised to see how many people on that 4th video only use broadcast, I actually thought most people still used 2k.

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby PeacemanNOT on Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:55 am

The 2K view gives you a massive advantage competitively, I've never felt the same playing in broadcast view. You can't run fast breaks, you can't see certain parts of the court/ball. Rebounding and defense is harder since you don't get a good view of which way the defender is going, plus I've just gotten used to the 2K view so it's too late to change.
Donate if you'd like to:
Paypal - https://paypal.me/PeacemanNOT
PeacemanNOT
Useless Member
Contributor

Postby Dee4Three on Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:37 am

I have to disagree with this comment

"You can't run fast breaks"

I am literally running solid fastbreaks in the highlight videos I upload. In fact, I find running fastbreaks to be even more enjoyable because the court isn't bouncing around from the 2k view.

"you can't see certain parts of the court/ball. Rebounding and defense is harder since you don't get a good view of which way the defender is going"

What? Rebounding and defense are not harder at all on the broadcast view, in fact, they feel more responsive and make more sense on broadcast view to me. Again, you can see the baseline, you can see the distance between yourself and the basket, when a defensive rebound happens, you don't have to wait for the camera to rotate.

"The 2K view gives you a massive advantage competitively"

Ive played online against a few people who used 2k view, and I smoked them, easily. It gives a zero competitive advantage, as I can actually see the distance between the players better, and use the baseline better.

You are speaking as a matter of fact with those statements, and maybe you feel it gives YOU a better advantage. But, I'm talking about the facts of what you can, and cant see better on each camera view.

broadcast view offers:

- Screen not jumping around
- Camera not rotating
- View of baseline
- Better view of distance between yourself and player, distance from hoop, distance from baseline
- TV experience which we grew up on and still view the NBA today

2k view offers

- A better view down court
- 3rd person perspective behind the players

You like the 2k view better because you are used to it. Which is totally cool, but lets not act like the 2k view gives a "Massive Advantage", it absolutely does not.

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby PeacemanNOT on Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:46 am

Dee4Three wrote:I have to disagree with this comment

"You can't run fast breaks"

I am literally running solid fastbreaks in the highlight videos I upload. In fact, I find running fastbreaks to be even more enjoyable because the court isn't bouncing around from the 2k view.

"you can't see certain parts of the court/ball. Rebounding and defense is harder since you don't get a good view of which way the defender is going"

What? Rebounding and defense are not harder at all on the broadcast view, in fact, they feel more responsive and make more sense on broadcast view to me. Again, you can see the baseline, you can see the distance between yourself and the basket, when a defensive rebound happens, you don't have to wait for the camera to rotate.

"The 2K view gives you a massive advantage competitively"

Ive played online against a few people who used 2k view, and I smoked them, easily. It gives a zero competitive advantage, as I can actually see the distance between the players better, and use the baseline better.

You are speaking as a matter of fact with those statements, and maybe you feel it gives YOU a better advantage. But, I'm talking about the facts of what you can, and cant see better on each camera view.

broadcast view offers:

- Screen not jumping around
- Camera not rotating
- View of baseline
- Better view of distance between yourself and player, distance from hoop, distance from baseline
- TV experience which we grew up on and still view the NBA today

2k view offers

- A better view down court
- 3rd person perspective behind the players

You like the 2k view better because you are used to it. Which is totally cool, but lets not act like the 2k view gives a "Massive Advantage", it absolutely does not.

Then explain why you don't see any eSports or professional youtubers using broadcast... it does give you a competitive advantage. Broadcast is definitely more aesthetically pleasing though. Besides, I could say the exact same about your opinion on the broadcast view, it could be because you're used to it as well.
Donate if you'd like to:
Paypal - https://paypal.me/PeacemanNOT
PeacemanNOT
Useless Member
Contributor

Postby Dee4Three on Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:50 am

I feel like it's just the "I'm used to it' camera view, and I also think it's marketed as a 2k thing.

I see MANY youtube videos in broadcast camera view.

I absolutely, for the reasons above and my own experience, can say that it does not give a massive competitive advantage. And, not being cocky, but I am very good at the game.

I find the broadcast camera to give me a better view of the court, a steady view of the court. I wouldn't even play 2k if they only offered the 2k view.

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:26 am

I prefer to use 2K Cam for MyCAREER and 2K Pro-Am. Running the point, I feel it gives me a view of the court that works best for me, especially when players are leaking out on the break...or cherry-picking, as is often the case in 2K Pro-Am. I'd have to agree with Q that there's also a sense of putting yourself in the player's shoes, even though it isn't first person or even directly over the shoulder. I just find that it works better for me in those modes.

However, in all other modes where I'm controlling all five players, I prefer to use the broadcast angle for both aesthetic and gameplay reasons. Oddly enough, despite the fact it's a player-locked mode, I also prefer the broadcast-style sideline view in MyPARK as well, probably because the courts are smaller than regulation. Admittedly I haven't tried 2K Cam in MyPARK yet, but I haven't really felt a need to.

As far as anyone saying that you aren't really playing the game if you're not playing on 2K Cam, or casting aspersions on your abilities if that's not your camera angle of choice, that's just silly bluster; a narrow-minded opinion that there's only one "correct" way to play, and obviously, that's their way. There's no right or wrong camera angle to play on, but some people want there to be one - naturally, the one they've picked - to justify their preference. In reality, the only justification you need is "That's what I prefer/like" or "That's what works for me", but a lot of people don't have confidence in the strength of that position, which is why they reject it so harshly. It's no different to those who mock other people's hobbies and interests, or taste in TV shows, movies, and music. They need to feel superior, correct, and justified in their choices, so they set imaginary standards that define their preferences as being right, which conveniently makes all other choices wrong.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Dee4Three on Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:35 am

Oh totally, and I don't knock anybody who prefers 2k. I don't see the advantage because of the reasons I stated above.

The camera jerking around on you and rotating doesn't bug you?

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:01 pm

The rotating camera in 2K Pro-Am is definitely a problem, and one of the things I don't like about the angle. I don't have any issues with the angle that's available in MyCAREER since it remains behind my player at all times and I feel it's pretty smooth (at least on PS4), but unfortunately it's not available in 2K Pro-Am. There's a similar one, but it's zoomed in too closely.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Dee4Three on Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:15 pm

Andrew wrote:The rotating camera in 2K Pro-Am is definitely a problem, and one of the things I don't like about the angle. I don't have any issues with the angle that's available in MyCAREER since it remains behind my player at all times and I feel it's pretty smooth (at least on PS4), but unfortunately it's not available in 2K Pro-Am. There's a similar one, but it's zoomed in too closely.

Ah gotcha.

Well, I'll keep posting videos on broadcast. Haha.

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby [Q] on Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:18 pm

Andrew wrote:The rotating camera in 2K Pro-Am is definitely a problem, and one of the things I don't like about the angle. I don't have any issues with the angle that's available in MyCAREER since it remains behind my player at all times and I feel it's pretty smooth (at least on PS4), but unfortunately it's not available in 2K Pro-Am. There's a similar one, but it's zoomed in too closely.

I had it set up in Live 10 where it wouldn't rotate so you can still face the opponents on defense. No rotating necessary.
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby hedop on Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:58 pm

Because Ronnie2k insists that I play the game like that. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :cool:
hedop

Postby Andrew on Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:22 pm

[Q] wrote:

I had it set up in Live 10 where it wouldn't rotate so you can still face the opponents on defense. No rotating necessary.

I'd heard that option was going to be in NBA 2K17, but unless I've overlooked it, it doesn't seem to be, which is disappointing.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby StyxTx on Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:21 pm

Dee4Three wrote:I see the "seeing up the court better" as a decent reason, however, I feel like otherwise it has to many limitations. I think catching the ball in the corner, and driving hard baseline is a big part of basketball (I play, and its a huge part of a perimeter players game), as well as a post up players game to spin baseline (See David Robinson/Hakeem/Ewing, etc).

In regards to seeing up the court better, broadcast with height 5 and zoom 1 or 2, allows you to get a board and see about to halfcourt (roughly), in 2k, they discourage the long pass so much that 99% of the time the ball goes sailing over the players head after the pass anyway. So for me, that is zero impact. And it also seems that the CPU In this game refrains from making those long passes anyway.

I guess I think of it as the whole experience, like when you boot up the game and start playing. Wouldn't you want the experience that you have experienced with all your memories of the NBA?

I was actually surprised to see how many people on that 4th video only use broadcast, I actually thought most people still used 2k.

Well, I never watched basketball on TV and still don't, so I have no TV experience with it. All my basketball joy came from playing. Even my favorite sport, baseball, I never watched on TV. I'd listen on the radio and that was the #1 sport I played.
StyxTx

Postby Dee4Three on Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:53 pm

StyxTx wrote:
Dee4Three wrote:I see the "seeing up the court better" as a decent reason, however, I feel like otherwise it has to many limitations. I think catching the ball in the corner, and driving hard baseline is a big part of basketball (I play, and its a huge part of a perimeter players game), as well as a post up players game to spin baseline (See David Robinson/Hakeem/Ewing, etc).

Well, I never watched basketball on TV and still don't, so I have no TV experience with it. All my basketball joy came from playing. Even my favorite sport, baseball, I never watched on TV. I'd listen on the radio and that was the #1 sport I played.

While I still don't see the advantage to the view, THIS makes a whole lot of sense.

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby Dee4Three on Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:02 am

hedop wrote:Because Ronnie2k insists that I play the game like that. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :cool:

I know you are being sarcastic, but I'll be serious for a second here. From my experience watching Ronnie 2k, he is not good at the game. I have watched plenty of him on his pre-release episodes, and he plays like a super casual player that is limited on what he can do. He may be good at marketing for them (Not always with dealing with us consumers directly, though), but he is not very good at the game.

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby StyxTx on Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:07 am

Dee4Three wrote:
StyxTx wrote:

While I still don't see the advantage to the view, THIS makes a whole lot of sense.

In my case, it's a lot easier to move my player around 'naturally'. If I want to go right across to the other side of the court, I push the stick right. If I want to drive the basket, I push it forward, etc. I tried playing from the side view but it just threw me off completely, especially passing. Anyway, I guess it's a matter of personal preference. Everyone has their own way.
StyxTx

Postby Dee4Three on Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:28 am

StyxTx wrote:
Dee4Three wrote:
StyxTx wrote:

In my case, it's a lot easier to move my player around 'naturally'. If I want to go right across to the other side of the court, I push the stick right. If I want to drive the basket, I push it forward, etc. I tried playing from the side view but it just threw me off completely, especially passing. Anyway, I guess it's a matter of personal preference. Everyone has their own way.

I can totally agree with that, certainly a matter of preference. PeacemanNOT above mentioned the competitive gamers playing on 2k view, and I think its almost a "Habit preference". As in, if you got used to the movement playing on broadcast (like, for years playing on broadcast), you would prefer that.

I think I was more getting down to how people accept not using the baseline, the jumping camera, and the rotating camera. But, I guess if you have played on it for YEARS, it would just be normal.

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby [Q] on Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:11 am

I don't think I've ever seen madden played in another camera other than the behind view so you can see everything. Makes me wonder why they don't show it that way on TV as well
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Dee4Three on Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:44 am

[Q] wrote:I don't think I've ever seen madden played in another camera other than the behind view so you can see everything. Makes me wonder why they don't show it that way on TV as well

Slightly different, far more people on the field lined up close together, plus receivers go 30 to 90 yards out, they would look like ants on side view.

There was an old PC game called Micro-League Football that utilized the side view as a play mode, it was interesting, but it wouldn't work in the now Madden games.

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby TGsoGood on Fri Apr 14, 2017 3:51 pm

I've always enjoyed broadcast the most but I try to use every camera angle when the game comes out. Especially since I like to enjoy the view of newly added mods. Sometimes I will use the nosebleeds camera if I have a new stadium mod and want to enjoy the view of the nice looking courts and such. Eventually I do end up back in broadcast but I will say that 2K17 is the game in which I have used 2K cam the most.

Maybe it was a result of watching too many 2K youtubers or maybe curiosity but, If I go back to an older game I have to play in broadcast if I'm trying to win.
Follow me on PATREON https://www.patreon.com/TGsoGood
Consider donating: http://cash.me/$TheJohnsonFamily or http://paypal.me/4TheGoods
Follow me on twitter @TGsoGood
Check me out on youtube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPydhZ ... PeRSmEVynQ

NBA 2K21 TGsoGood Mods and releases - viewtopic.php?f=267&t=110608
NBA 2K17 TGsoGood Mods and releases - viewtopic.php?f=225&t=102251#p1860681
NBA 2K14 TGsoGood Mods and releases - viewtopic.php?f=153&t=96056
TGsoGood
Contributor
Contributor

Next

Return to NBA 2K17