[NBA LIVE 2000] RODZILLA91 CYBERFACES/PATCHES THREAD

Talk about NBA Live 95-2002 here.

Re: [NBA LIVE 2000] RODZILLA91 CYBERFACES/PATCHES THREAD

Postby Rodzilla91 on Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:18 am

Haven't done NBA L2000 mods in awhile.. Might start back up.
Rodzilla91

Postby Andrew on Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:19 am

Always nice to see, it's a classic after all.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Rodzilla91 on Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:21 am

Andrew wrote:Always nice to see, it's a classic after all.

Yeah, never lived during this game though. 1999 so I was born one year after this came out, and wrestling was my first thing.. So basketball didn't come until late for me

Is it weird that I prefer Live 98's gameplay to this one? It just feels so smoother. This game just feels stiff to me.
Rodzilla91

Postby Andrew on Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:39 am

On the whole I prefer 2000 myself, but NBA Live 98 is kind of underrated and overlooked when it comes to the classic games.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Rodzilla91 on Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:00 am

Just seemingly liked the gameplay of 98 more than 00. 00 is better in pretty much every way to me except the gameplay. That and the roster, I'm way more into crazy rodman and funky 90s logo teams
Rodzilla91

Postby Andrew on Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:50 pm

NBA Live 98's gameplay holds up better than I expected when I revisited it. I don't know that I'd call it better than 2000, but it's at least comparable.

The major issue with games from that era, really most games up until around NBA Live 2004, is that physics and collisions were very primitive, and it was way too easy to lose the ball through incidental contact. That's just how it was of course, the technology had to get there before things could get better, but if there's one thing that makes the older games harder (or at least more frustrating) to play these days, it's the collision detection.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Rodzilla91 on Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:36 pm

Andrew wrote:NBA Live 98's gameplay holds up better than I expected when I revisited it. I don't know that I'd call it better than 2000, but it's at least comparable.

The major issue with games from that era, really most games up until around NBA Live 2004, is that physics and collisions were very primitive, and it was way too easy to lose the ball through incidental contact. That's just how it was of course, the technology had to get there before things could get better, but if there's one thing that makes the older games harder (or at least more frustrating) to play these days, it's the collision detection.

Man. I don't know haha, maybe it isn't better, but it looks way smoother to me (and plays smoother as well).

98 is like the only old game i can play and not get too bored, but like I said, i wasnt around when these games hit the shelves. I think I started playing NBA games around 08-09.
Rodzilla91

Postby Andrew on Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:59 am

Definitely a fine game, either way.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Rodzilla91 on Mon May 01, 2017 8:36 am

No doubt.

I think about making patches but it's a lack of free time and a lack of motivation. I honestly haven't touched this game enough. But sometimes I think about making some all time greats. And maybe make a roster out of it.

Can't promise it, though. I have the same idea for 98 as well, but I don't think 98 can be modded as well as 2000 (correct me if I'm wrong)

Always comes back to 98 with me haha. A long time ago I tried using a Vm to play it and it didn't work. And i was so mad because i had downloaded a WWF roster and wanted to see how it looked. Long story short never ran good and I assume the site is down.

Funny thing is I made a Kane cyberface on 2k14 a few months back.. Donned his 97 red mask sleeved look. Not sure if you're into wrestling or was at any point in time.
Rodzilla91

Postby Andrew on Mon May 01, 2017 11:18 am

I am, and got into it during the Attitude Era, so I'm quite familiar with that incarnation of Kane. :)

It's completely understandable. Creating mods and patches takes time, and the older the game, the smaller the audience, so it becomes harder to justify the time and effort. I'd say NBA Live 2000 is a bit easier than NBA Live 98, but they're both pretty moddable with the tools that are still available. I think updates for the classics are always appreciated, but these days they're obviously not going to get quite as many downloads, or as much attention. It's something you've got to keep in mind, and weigh up against your enthusiasm for doing something creative. If you can spare the time and creating it is fun for you, I say give it a shot. But again, it's completely understandable if you'd rather not.

I've got NBA Live 98 working in Windows 7, thanks to the steps outlined in the stickied thread. Only way I could get it to run under VMWare was through a Windows 2000 installation, though I haven't tried again following a few VMWare updates.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Rodzilla91 on Mon May 01, 2017 11:46 am

Andrew wrote:I am, and got into it during the Attitude Era, so I'm quite familiar with that incarnation of Kane. :)

That's cool, don't like what WWE is going with nowadays. Haven't "actually" watched wrestling since like '11/'12

Andrew wrote:It's completely understandable. Creating mods and patches takes time, and the older the game, the smaller the audience, so it becomes harder to justify the time and effort. I'd say NBA Live 2000 is a bit easier than NBA Live 98, but they're both pretty moddable with the tools that are still available. I think updates for the classics are always appreciated, but these days they're obviously not going to get quite as many downloads, or as much attention. It's something you've got to keep in mind, and weigh up against your enthusiasm for doing something creative. If you can spare the time and creating it is fun for you, I say give it a shot. But again, it's completely understandable if you'd rather not.

Definitely, I'm not expecting a lot of people to play it or whatnot, just doing it in freetime would be cool. The reason why I brought up Live 98 as a possible game for a project was because I have FUN playing it and I know how to play. Although the play call system still really bugs me and that I don't know 100% how to use it, or even know if it works properly, I still had more fun playing it than 00 for some reason. 00 is just really clunky to me. But I've obviously played one more than another.

Andrew wrote:I've got NBA Live 98 working in Windows 7, thanks to the steps outlined in the stickied thread. Only way I could get it to run under VMWare was through a Windows 2000 installation, though I haven't tried again following a few VMWare updates.

Same, but I don't think I can find that WWF patch at all anymore.
Rodzilla91

Postby Andrew on Mon May 01, 2017 11:55 am

That's the approach I took to the Definitive updates for NBA Live 95 and NBA Live 96. I wasn't expecting a bunch of downloads, and they ended up getting more than I expected, but it was just fun to revisit those games with some patching, as well as playing them again for the retrospective articles.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Rodzilla91 on Mon May 01, 2017 2:39 pm

Andrew wrote:That's the approach I took to the Definitive updates for NBA Live 95 and NBA Live 96. I wasn't expecting a bunch of downloads, and they ended up getting more than I expected, but it was just fun to revisit those games with some patching, as well as playing them again for the retrospective articles.

I do want to make a big roster for 00 or 98, but we all lose interest and go in and out of it sometimes. It's much less time spent making individual mods, but not a lot of interest from others. I just do what I wanna do ya know
Rodzilla91

Postby Andrew on Mon May 01, 2017 2:54 pm

Absolutely. That's the right way to approach modding, otherwise it's very easy to get burned out on the hobby.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Previous

Return to NBA Live Vintage