What's going on in Detroit?

Like real basketball, as well as basketball video games? Talk about the NBA, NCAA, and other professional and amateur basketball leagues here.

What's going on in Detroit?

Postby Uncle Drew on Sat Mar 25, 2017 3:24 pm

Pistons are a major disappointment this year. After making the playoffs last year for the first time since 09, they've taken a step back. Even though they were swept by Cleveland in the playoffs last year, they lost close games and were competitive. This year they don't play with any energy or urgency. How do you lose at the buzzer to the Nets, and get blowed out by the Bulls and Magic? Is it SVG? Has he lost the team? Or have they overvalued Reggie Jackson and Drummond, after giving them huge deals?
Uncle Drew

Re: What's going on in Detroit?

Postby Andrew on Sat Mar 25, 2017 5:23 pm

No Joel Anthony this year.

They probably overachieved somewhat last year, and have come back to Earth this season, making it look like a step backwards. Jackson isn't having as good a season as he did last year, even if you look at his Per 36 production, but Drummond is holding reasonably steady. It's worth noting that they were at .500 a couple of weeks ago, but have been in a slump since.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby mp3 on Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:44 pm

Andrew wrote:No Joel Anthony this year.
Youtube - mp3 Basketball Gaming
mp3

Postby Andrew on Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:45 pm

The rest of my post was superfluous and redundant, I know.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby mp3 on Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:49 pm

No your comments after that are valid and probably something SVG would say to the media to sum it up but the reality is he messed letting the best player since LaVar Ball slip away.
Youtube - mp3 Basketball Gaming
mp3

Postby Murat on Sun Mar 26, 2017 12:01 am

what about Orlando Magic? do they have any idea on what the fuck they are doing? they are going to be the next Sacramento Kings of NBA; no tanking neither playoffs

Detroit disappointed me too. In the off-season they had to make SERIOUS moves like their opponents did (unlike signing Ish Smith and Jon Leuer).
Murat
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Uncle Drew on Sun Mar 26, 2017 12:10 am

Andrew wrote:The rest of my post was superfluous and redundant, I know.

Your post was spot on, except for the Joel Anthony part. :lol: Personally, I think it's some internal stuff going on with them. Marcus Morris posted on Twitter after last night's game, that nobody on the team gives a _uck anymore, letting bad teams blow them out. I'm looking for some serious changes with them in the off season.
Uncle Drew

Postby Andrew on Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:50 am

They're definitely out of sorts having slipped further away from .500 and lost a couple of very winnable games by a large margin. Morale has no doubt taken a hit, and some dysfunction has obviously set in. They probably expected to be doing much better themselves, and set the bar high after a solid season last year. It's understandable, but they were probably setting themselves up for disappointment there.

That's the frustrating thing with rebuilding teams, though. If all goes well, there's a steady improvement as the team starts to take shape and all the pieces fit. However, sometimes a rebuilding team can get ahead of themselves, and overachieve. That leads everyone to think they're ahead of where they really are, and there's disappointment when they regress to the level they're actually at. Even for contending teams, some years go better than others, and there's no guarantee that a team will perform the same or better as they did the previous season, even if they appear to be in a position to do so.

It doesn't mean that the Pistons shouldn't (or won't) tinker with the roster this offseason, but it's early on in their rebuilding process, so there's bound to be setbacks and changing plans. They just happened to do better than expected last year, and that raised expectations prematurely.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby benji on Sun Mar 26, 2017 3:22 am

Jackson missing the start of the season messed up the entire offense and when he came back it's never worked like it had at the end of last year.

The real question regarding money isn't Drummond or even Jackson, it's why would SVG drop so much money on Leuer and Boban and then yank one from games the instant he's slightly off (while letting Marcus and Tobias fire away...and Ish Smith and Stanley Johnson) and then never play the other even though the team desperately needs his offense off the bench.

SVG seems to love Morris when he's the cog that doesn't fit. Especially since he pouts if he's not starting so he's useless playing the one role he's any good at.

I'm not convinced SVG wouldn't play two of his assistants (Malik Allen and Aaron Gray) over Boban if they weren't wearing slightly different clothes on the bench.
benji

Postby air gordon on Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:43 am

So do you think the pistons match the big offer KCP will get?
Jump.
Scott Skiles answer to the question on how Eddy Curry can become a better rebounder
air gordon

Postby Dee4Three on Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:53 am

I'm going to post some real talk here for a second... just being honest.

Do you guys think players tune out Stan Van Gundy a bit based on his appearance? This is not me being racist or even stereotypical on purpose, it's just looking at the situation realistically. Watching Andre Drummond standing in front of Stan Van Gundy, with Stan Van Gundy giving him pointers or even seemingly yelling at him, looks really odd. Stan Van Gundy not being a former NBA Player, and being very outspoken, and being a short/chubby white guy... do you think this plays into the players buying into his system/words?

BTW, I am not blaming Stan Van Gundy. I actually like him, and I think he has vast basketball knowledge, just trying to see if you guys see that this could possibly be a problem.
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Check out my YouTube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvHJXrqit8Dc6HBY5P6EmAA

Follow me on Twitter

https://twitter.com/Dee4Three84
Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby I Hate Mondays on Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:55 am

air gordon wrote:So do you think the pistons match the big offer KCP will get?

Bad teams are willing to offer max contract left and right for average players. I don't see van Gundy matching a max contract for KCP
I also think Jackson is on the move rather sooner than later. He went to Detroit to play a bigger role and now he gets benched.
I Hate Mondays

Postby Andrew on Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:57 am

Dee4Three wrote:I'm going to post some real talk here for a second... just being honest.

Do you guys think players tune out Stan Van Gundy a bit based on his appearance? This is not me being racist or even stereotypical on purpose, it's just looking at the situation realistically. Watching Andre Drummond standing in front of Stan Van Gundy, with Stan Van Gundy giving him pointers or even seemingly yelling at him, looks really odd. Stan Van Gundy not being a former NBA Player, and being very outspoken, and being a short/chubby white guy... do you think this plays into the players buying into his system/words?

BTW, I am not blaming Stan Van Gundy. I actually like him, and I think he has vast basketball knowledge, just trying to see if you guys see that this could possibly be a problem.

I suppose it's possible, but I'm not sure it's that. Even if he isn't the fittest guy on the NBA sidelines, he's been around the league for a long time, knows the game, and has been at the helm of a few teams that had a respectable amount of success. Most athletes are instilled with a respect for coaches, especially if the coaches are capable, and Stan Van Gundy certainly is that. It's not always the way of course, as brash and disrespectful players do clash with coaches, but I'd say most athletes respect coaches by default, given their role and position of authority.

If the Pistons players are tuning him out at this point, I'd say it's more likely due to being weary of losing, resulting in a feeling of indifference and a loss of trust in his gameplan in light of those losses piling up, rather than his appearance.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby air gordon on Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:04 am

I Hate Mondays wrote:

Bad teams are willing to offer max contract left and right for average players. I don't see van Gundy matching a max contract for KCP
I also think Jackson is on the move rather sooner than later. He went to Detroit to play a bigger role and now he gets benched.

So you think he's going to get a max contact?! Stanley Johnson is my hero but is SVG going unleash the beast??
Jump.
Scott Skiles answer to the question on how Eddy Curry can become a better rebounder
air gordon

Postby I Hate Mondays on Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:12 pm

air gordon wrote:
I Hate Mondays wrote:

So you think he's going to get a max contact?! Stanley Johnson is my hero but is SVG going unleash the beast??

I really do. Desperate teams make desperate decisions.
I Hate Mondays

Postby air gordon on Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:26 am

What team do you speculate this early to make that move?
Jump.
air gordon

Postby I Hate Mondays on Fri Mar 31, 2017 4:03 am

air gordon wrote:What team do you speculate this early to make that move?

Brooklyn.
I Hate Mondays

Postby benji on Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:18 am

Dee4Three wrote:I'm going to post some real talk here for a second... just being honest.

The only players I've heard actually negative about Van Gundy is Dwight because he'd ride him to be a better player. Even Shaq liked him.

Andre and other players often don't make eye contact with the coach but they're hearing it. Andre's been positive about SVG from the start because of what he did with Dwight and Orlando since they're similar players.

Guys like the Van Gundy's and Erik Spolestra earn their guys respect. The Knicks defense vaporized instantly when Jeff Van Gundy stepped down during a season, even though former players took over. Pop never played past college, and even then it wasn't like he starred on a good college team.

Scott Skiles played but he's burned out every team he's coached in like two years. Larry Brown increasingly did this with teams as he aged.

The spread of coaching disciples, especially from the Spurs, has lessened the amount of coaches who have played to the lowest point in league history. Even many of the current coaches who were players like Rick Carlisle, Mike D'Antoni, Billy Donovan, etc. are coaches more because of what they've done after they stopped playing. I doubt many of their players even know they played. Even a star like Kevin McHale (or Bird) had spent two decades in the front office of a team.
benji

Postby Andrew on Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:01 am

Didn't Shaq call Stan Van Gundy a "frontrunner" or something? Either way, i thought he wasn't the biggest fan of the guy.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby NovU on Fri Mar 31, 2017 4:56 pm

Real problem for the Pistons is Drummond's stunted development as a player.

You can say they're done, d o n e.
THX TO DOPE-JAO FOR THE SPECIAL SIG! <3
Enjoy! <3 Jao
NovU
Crap, what am I going to brag about now?

Return to NBA & Basketball