Should Green/Perfect Releases Be Guaranteed, or Highest Percentage?

Talk about NBA 2K17 here.

Should Green/Perfect Releases Always Go In?

Yes
75%
No
25%

Total votes : 8

Should Green/Perfect Releases Be Guaranteed, or Highest Percentage?

Postby Andrew on Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:10 pm

Green Releases in NBA 2K17 are, in theory, guaranteed makes. I say in theory, because I do know that people have actually missed shots that were reportedly perfect releases (as per the shot feedback) and definitely not blocked, which may possibly be a glitch because as per Mike Wang, Green Releases are meant to go in all the time this year (unless they're blocked or hit the side/back of the backboard, of course).

There' are pros and cons to that approach. On the pro side, it removes ambiguity and gives skilled gamers precise control over their shots. With the correct timing, you can shoot a shot that isn't going to fall victim to a dice roll. The downside to that is that once you master the timing, things can get a little cheesy, especially online. Combine it with Badges that enhance shooting, and both realism and competitive balance can very quickly go out the window.

So, I was wondering what the general feeling on the matter is in our community. Should there be a perfect release point that always results in a basket (ie Green Releases always go in), or more of an ideal/best possible release point (ie Green Releases are high percentage and successful more often than not, but not guaranteed to go in)?
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Re: Should Green/Perfect Releases Be Guaranteed, or Highest Percentage?

Postby I Hate Mondays on Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:34 pm

It shouldn't be guaranteed. I know people playing myPark and all the other online modes want to be 100% sure their green release goes in and because of them they changed the green release policy this year, but I wouldn't mind 1 in 50/100 green shots not go in. See Swaggy P and whoever did that again this year, were they were 100% sure their ball would go in and celebrated before seeing the result.
Last edited by I Hate Mondays on Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I Hate Mondays

Postby Andrew on Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:06 am

I have to admit that I kind of like having a guaranteed bucket with a perfectly timed release, but considering the cheesiness it can bring, I wouldn't mind if the odds were simply very high instead. A 95-99% chance of success certainly wouldn't make a perfect release redundant, especially since you don't need to have one to make shots anyway. It'd still be more than effective enough at that rate.

At one point, I would've said I preferred NBA Live 16's percentages method, but I'm not totally sure about that now.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby TGsoGood on Sat Mar 25, 2017 2:02 pm

I like the idea of green releases being 95%-99%. On another note, I think having indicators such as Percentage value pop up on screen or green bar flashing take away the surprise factor of watching the shot.
I prefer to just try to time it myself and await the outcome without any indicator telling me I should score before the ball even goes through the net.
Follow me on PATREON https://www.patreon.com/TGsoGood
Consider donating: http://cash.me/$TheJohnsonFamily or http://paypal.me/4TheGoods
Follow me on twitter @TGsoGood
Check me out on youtube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPydhZ ... PeRSmEVynQ

NBA 2K21 TGsoGood Mods and releases - viewtopic.php?f=267&t=110608
NBA 2K17 TGsoGood Mods and releases - viewtopic.php?f=225&t=102251#p1860681
NBA 2K14 TGsoGood Mods and releases - viewtopic.php?f=153&t=96056
TGsoGood
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Andrew on Sat Mar 25, 2017 5:35 pm

That's fair. It's certainly more challenging to play without an indicator and it does take away the surprise, but I do like having a visual guide that gives me feedback about the quality of the attempt and accuracy of my timing on the release.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby deodorantthief1 on Sat Mar 25, 2017 6:19 pm

That would come off kinda robotic. Other factors affect how shots are made.

For immersion purposes, I think they should add an option of removing even the circle around the player. I think there was a mod like that for 2K13.
deodorantthief1

Postby Andrew on Sat Mar 25, 2017 7:28 pm

You can turn the Shot Meter off if desired. I prefer to have it because from a gameplay standpoint, I like having the feedback and knowing where I erred on my input. That always used to frustrate me when I played basketball video games; I'd feel like it was a good release, but I couldn't be sure, especially when the results didn't seem consistent.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby BronBron06 on Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:49 am

How about this.

No visual meter = 100% chance if perfect release, reward the player for mastering the shot.
with visual meter = undergoes probability correction factor probably 90-99%

I mean even some nobody from Phoenix Suns scored 70 points.
BronBron06

Postby I Hate Mondays on Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:33 pm

BronBron06 wrote:How about this.

No visual meter = 100% chance if perfect release, reward the player for mastering the shot.
with visual meter = undergoes probability correction factor probably 90-99%

I mean even some nobody from Phoenix Suns scored 70 points.

I wouldn't call that guy a "nobody". His potential is out of the ordinary. I like your idea though
I Hate Mondays

Postby Andrew on Sat Apr 01, 2017 10:29 pm

I'd have to disagree with that suggestion. I see where it's coming from, but that way you're still giving some players an artificial boost, while punishing players who use a perfectly valid gameplay mechanic.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Return to NBA 2K17