The Friday Five: 5 Limitations With A Sensible Explanation

Talk about the NLSC Podcast, Monday Tip-Off, Wayback Wednesday, The Friday Five, Top 10 Plays of the Week, and our Parsec Tournaments! This is also a section for NLSC and community announcements, and other site-related topics.

Re: The Friday Five: 5 Ideas for MyCAREER Stories

Postby zzcoolj21 on Sat Feb 25, 2017 11:59 am

the last one is very similar to one of the stories in NBA 07
phpBB [video]

Ahead of its time in all facets except gameplay. The gameplay was really bad.
zzcoolj21
20% on Good release machine, The NLSC's Jr Smith

Postby Andrew on Sat Feb 25, 2017 12:04 pm

That's cool. I actually picked up NBA 08 on PS2 a while back, I've been meaning to check out its story and do a feature on it. Might have to see if I can track down a couple of the other games in the series for cheap, might be interesting to look back on.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby zzcoolj21 on Sat Feb 25, 2017 12:21 pm

I might grind through them and record the cutscenes one of these days. The stories are really the only saving grace of the series. Still don't know if "Big W" 's son ever wakes up from the coma.
zzcoolj21
20% on Good release machine, The NLSC's Jr Smith

Re: The Friday Five: 5 Tips to Endure a Long MyCAREER Season

Postby Andrew on Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:04 pm

March 3rd: 5 Tips to Endure a Long MyCAREER Season

I'm almost at the end of the regular season in my rookie campaign in NBA 2K17's MyCAREER. As much fun as I've had so far, it's definitely been a grind, especially since I prefer to play twelve minute quarters. Even with shorter quarter lengths, 82 games is quite a marathon, and it's difficult not to get impatient once you're past the All-Star break, and the postseason is looming on the horizon. Of course, if you're battling to qualify for the Playoffs, each game is going to have more meaning, and that should hold your interest. However, if you've already clinched a Playoff berth, a little bit of boredom might start to set in.

Fortunately, there are a few ideas that can make tedious stretches in MyCAREER a bit more fun. Some of these suggestions arguably apply to MyLEAGUE and MyGM as well, but I personally find that boredom during the regular season is more of a problem in MyCAREER, since you're locked to a single player, and you obviously don't have all the team management functions to change things up. With that being said, here are five ideas that have helped break up the boredom for me, and will hopefully help some of you make it through the regular season grind, whether you're playing MyCAREER or another mode.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: The Friday Five: 5 Crazy Ideas for Basketball Games

Postby Andrew on Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:57 pm

March 10th: 5 Crazy Ideas for Basketball Games

I'm almost at the end of the regular season in my rookie campaign in NBA 2K17's MyCAREER. As much fun as I've had so far, it's definitely been a grind, especially since I prefer to play twelve minute quarters. Even with shorter quarter lengths, 82 games is quite a marathon, and it's difficult not to get impatient once you're past the All-Star break, and the postseason is looming on the horizon. Of course, if you're battling to qualify for the Playoffs, each game is going to have more meaning, and that should hold your interest. However, if you've already clinched a Playoff berth, a little bit of boredom might start to set in.

Fortunately, there are a few ideas that can make tedious stretches in MyCAREER a bit more fun. Some of these suggestions arguably apply to MyLEAGUE and MyGM as well, but I personally find that boredom during the regular season is more of a problem in MyCAREER, since you're locked to a single player, and you obviously don't have all the team management functions to change things up. With that being said, here are five ideas that have helped break up the boredom for me, and will hopefully help some of you make it through the regular season grind, whether you're playing MyCAREER or another mode.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: The Friday Five: 5 Roster Oddities in Basketball Games

Postby Andrew on Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:54 pm

March 17th: 5 Roster Oddities in Basketball Games

Whether you're updating a basketball video game or simply playing it, the accuracy of the roster is probably going to be of great importance to you. Sometimes, that authenticity is limited or compromised by factors such as the roster cut-off date, lockouts, and a lack of licensing rights for specific players. Official roster updates have ultimately counteracted those first two issues, and unofficial updates can provide workarounds for the third. Furthermore, through consistent official updates and user customisation, questionable ratings don't have to remain a problem for long, either.

Of course, even if certain issues can be easily resolved by official or unofficial means, basketball games have presented some unusual oddities in their default rosters over the years. Sometimes, unusual real life circumstances lead to inaccuracies, or create other interesting situations. In other cases, the game's roster management functionality itself is cumbersome, or otherwise strange. Whatever the case may be, there have been a number of roster oddities in basketball video games over the years, and today I'm talking about what I feel are five of the most interesting and noteworthy examples.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: The Friday Five: 5 Players Who Appeared in More Video Games than NBA Games

Postby Andrew on Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:33 pm

March 24th: 5 Players Who Appeared in More Video Games than NBA Games

Simply getting drafted by an NBA team, or making it onto a Summer League or training camp roster, is an achievement in and of itself. It's further than a lot of players will make it in their basketball careers, and for those who do get that far, it's the first step towards realising their dream of playing in the NBA. Of course, there aren't enough roster spots available for everyone, and a lot of players will end up getting cut before the regular season begins. Some may find their way back onto an NBA roster and finally debut at a later date, while many others will not.

However, while some players never get the opportunity to suit up and play in a real NBA game, they may still see themselves make it to the big time on the virtual hardwood. The default rosters in NBA videos game must be locked at a certain cut-off date, which often results in missing players out of the box, but can also ensure that players on the bubble actually end up being included. Should such a player never make it back to the league, they'll end up appearing in more NBA video games than real life NBA games. Here are five players who did just that, whom you may or may not remember.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Tha2KProphet on Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:50 pm

I think Isaiah Austin was added to a Roster update as a "Free Agent" in NBA 2K17.
Try MY 2016/17 Roster For NBA 2K14

Here >>>: 2KShiftLeader's (Tha2KProphet) 2017 Roster | BHM

My Thread: viewtopic.php?f=153&t=98403
I'm dEaD :twisted:
Tha2KProphet
Everyone at NLSC thought I was joking when I said "LeBron is gonna come back from a 3-1 lead"

Postby JaoSming on Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:51 pm

Awesome idea (Y)
Opinions are my own.

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Postby Andrew on Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:21 am

Tha2KProphet wrote:I think Isaiah Austin was added to a Roster update as a "Free Agent" in NBA 2K17.

Yeah he was added at one point. There's definitely been more than five, but there's always the possibility I'll do another article with another five.

JaoSming wrote:Awesome idea (Y)

Thanks! :)
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: The Friday Five: 5 Times Basketball Games Predicted The Future

Postby Andrew on Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:46 pm

March 31st: 5 Times Basketball Games Predicted The Future

With a bit of creative thinking and hindsight, it's not too difficult to find "correct predictions" everywhere. Take Michael Jordan's "Total D" basketball trading card from 1995, for example. Noting that the one-time Defensive Player of the Year is still generally known more for his dunks and scoring outbursts than lockdown D, the back of the card refers to him as an "Aerial Wizard". A reference to his high flying exploits, or a prediction of his second comeback with Washington, as well as the team's name change a year before it was even announced? I'll let you be the judge.

If you're thinking rationally, you'll have correctly written off the above suggestion as nothing more than a couple of fun coincidences. As I said though, it isn't too difficult to take those coincidences and spin a story about them eerily predicting the future. To that end, this week's Five is all about basketball video games that predicted one thing or another...or so it would seem. And no, the inclusion of the Charlotte Bobcats in NBA Live 2004 doesn't count; they'd already been unveiled, and we all knew they would be making their debut the following season.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: The Friday Five: 5 Strange Occurrences in My NBA 2K17 MyCAREER

Postby Andrew on Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:47 pm

April 7th: 5 Strange Occurrences in My NBA 2K17 MyCAREER

Having played through the first season in NBA 2K17's MyCAREER and started on my second, it's fair to say that I've greatly enjoyed the mode, really for the first time since NBA 2K13 if I'm to be completely honest. The story was unintrusive, I found myself back on the Denver Nuggets, and it was a lot of fun dominating the league and setting some records on route to the NBA championship. Jumping to the Chicago Bulls and turning up the difficulty level has freshened things up in my sophomore season, and although I'm not playing the mode as frequently as I was a few weeks ago, I know that I'll eagerly pick it up again whenever the mood strikes.

The experience has been fun, and I do feel that it's the best incarnation of MyCAREER since the implementation of the story-driven approach, but there's definitely been some weirdness. Now, there's an element of fantasy to all of the modes in a basketball video game, and since strange and unexpected things do happen in the real NBA, it can be tough to say what's realistic and what isn't. At the same time, certain events are highly unlikely, and only seem to occur in video games in the name of shaking things up. When it comes to strange occurrences in my NBA 2K17 MyCAREER, here are five that come to mind.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: The Friday Five: Top 5 PR Disasters in Basketball Gaming

Postby Andrew on Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:16 pm

April 14th: Top 5 PR Disasters in Basketball Gaming

Video games are serious business...well, just about as serious as a hobby can get, anyway. It's a multi-billion dollar industry with passionate consumers who naturally want value for money, and to be valued by the companies making the products they're buying. The relationship between gamers and developers can be contentious at times, and while our behaviour admittedly hasn't always been exemplary, there are certainly times when EA Sports and Visual Concepts have made disappointing decisions, or acted in a way that left a lot of basketball gamers feeling unappreciated or ripped off.

There have been several unfortunate incidents over the years, so as with any Top 5, I can't account for all of them, and even if you do agree with my picks, you may not agree with the ranking. I've tried to base my selections on a combination of the severity of the incident, the long-term impact it's had, and the general level of outrage that I've observed within the community. Finally, as always, these lists are intended to offer up my take on a subject while beginning the conversation, not ending it. With that being said, let's tip off the countdown with number five.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Dee4Three on Sat Apr 15, 2017 2:23 am

Andrew wrote:April 14th: Top 5 PR Disasters in Basketball Gaming

Video games are serious business...well, just about as serious as a hobby can get, anyway. It's a multi-billion dollar industry with passionate consumers who naturally want value for money, and to be valued by the companies making the products they're buying. The relationship between gamers and developers can be contentious at times, and while our behaviour admittedly hasn't always been exemplary, there are certainly times when EA Sports and Visual Concepts have made disappointing decisions, or acted in a way that left a lot of basketball gamers feeling unappreciated or ripped off.

There have been several unfortunate incidents over the years, so as with any Top 5, I can't account for all of them, and even if you do agree with my picks, you may not agree with the ranking. I've tried to base my selections on a combination of the severity of the incident, the long-term impact it's had, and the general level of outrage that I've observed within the community. Finally, as always, these lists are intended to offer up my take on a subject while beginning the conversation, not ending it. With that being said, let's tip off the countdown with number five.

One thing that should have made this list: The college basketball video game fiasco.

A player (Ed O'Bannon) sued because likenesses were used without permission, effectively abolishing the NCAA basketball video game genre. We are left with mods. And this is a big deal to a lot of people, because people truly enjoyed the college basketball games that were released.
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Check out my YouTube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvHJXrqit8Dc6HBY5P6EmAA

Follow me on Twitter

https://twitter.com/Dee4Three84
Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby Dee4Three on Sat Apr 15, 2017 2:28 am

Or would that technically not represent a PR disaster?
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Check out my YouTube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvHJXrqit8Dc6HBY5P6EmAA

Follow me on Twitter

https://twitter.com/Dee4Three84
Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Sat Apr 15, 2017 2:37 am

Yeah, I'd say that's something different, as it's not quite in the same vein as the stuff I'm talking about.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: The Friday Five: 5 NBA 2K Features I Want To See Return

Postby Andrew on Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:06 am

April 21st: 5 NBA 2K Features I Want To See Return

While many of us do have our gripes with recent NBA 2K games, for the most part the series has been very solid for a long time now. Unlike NBA Live, it hasn't been set back by frequent changes in direction. Instead, it's continued to build upon its established foundation, and the quality of the experience has been fairly consistent as a result. The depth of the modes and the assortment of features and options have gone a long way in making NBA 2K successful. From robust single player experiences to different modes for online play, to roster editing and customisation, there's a lot for basketball gamers to sink their teeth into.

Unfortunately, some features have fallen by the wayside over the years. There are various reasons for their absence in recent titles, from technical issues to design choices. Thankfully, we have seen some really great features make their way back into the game, such as the "Start Today" option in MyLEAGUE and MyGM. However, there are still some other features from past NBA 2K titles that would make a deep and well-rounded product even better, if they were to return. These are the five features that spring immediately to mind for me.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: The Friday Five: 5 Preferable Pre-Order Bonuses

Postby Andrew on Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:41 pm

April 28th: 5 Preferable Pre-Order Bonuses

Yes, I know. The whole concept of pre-ordering is one of the biggest problems with video games these days, right up there with always online connectivity, and the need for day one patches. Ideally, we'd all band together and refuse to pre-order, in an effort to curb the practice. However, that's not going to happen. Developers obviously want to move their product, which means providing gamers with an incentive to put their money down as soon as possible. That incentive comes in the form of a variety of pre-order bonuses, which in theory reward gamers for having faith in a title.

In practice, pre-order bonuses can be a little underwhelming. If you're not into "ultimate collector's editions", the physical extras such as hats and posters aren't going to offer much incentive, but even if we just focus on the in-game items, certain pre-order bonuses can leave something to be desired. The "Early Tip-Off Weekend" bonus for pre-ordering the last couple of NBA 2K games is a great idea that should be retained, but there are a few other things that both Visual Concepts and EA Sports could be doing to reward loyal customers who pre-order. In some cases, that simply involves a slightly different approach to what they're already doing.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: The Friday Five: 5 Best 2K Pro-Am Team Names

Postby Andrew on Fri May 05, 2017 10:15 pm

May 5th: 5 Best 2K Pro-Am Team Names

I'll be honest with you, fellow basketball gamers. A couple of things made me grumble today, and I was all ready to scathingly vent about them in this week's Friday Five, since I didn't already have a column prepared. However, I decided that I didn't want to do that. It's not because I'm afraid to share my opinions, or reluctant to stand by them. No, I simply decided that I'd grumbled enough over matters that are very trivial compared to other things that are going on in the world right now, and felt it would be better to write something more positive. Venting can be cathartic and I like covering more serious topics, but there's a time and place for lighter discussion, too.

So, I read through my list of topic ideas, and came across one that I'd previously done a little preparation for: the five best 2K Pro-Am team names that I've encountered in NBA 2K17. As you may know, the official NLSC squad's name is THRILLHO, which is a reference to a classic episode of The Simpsons. We've often wondered if our opponents get a kick out of seeing the name, especially given some of the dornas Arcane has created for our arena. There have definitely been a couple of team names that made us chuckle; some are quite creative, some are witty references, and a few have found a way around the profanity filter. However, these five are my favourites.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: The Friday Five: 5 Misguided Things Basketball Gamers Say

Postby Andrew on Fri May 12, 2017 8:56 pm

May 12th: 5 Misguided Things Basketball Gamers Say

It's a rare fanbase indeed that isn't outspoken in some regard, and basketball gamers are no exception. That certainly isn't a bad thing, of course. Whether it's positive or negative, constructive or snarky, there's satisfaction and catharsis in expressing yourself and sharing experiences with your fellow basketball gamers. With open lines of communication to the people creating the games, we also have an opportunity to influence their development for the better. Bottom line, a passionate and enthusiastic fanbase is always going to have something to talk about, and an assortment of strong opinions.

As a community, we have a lot of insight into basketball games, and some great ideas about the experiences that we'd like to get out of them. However, that doesn't mean that our opinions are above the influence of bias, cynicism, or occasionally even selfishness. Logic and reason gives way to passion and emotion, and we make declarations that are definitely wide of the mark. Whether we're criticising a game, defending a game, advocating a particular gaming style, or making sweeping declarations about the hobby, we basketball gamers are prone to making some misguided statements from time to time. Statements such as...
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: The Friday Five: 5 Tips for Creating Basketball Game Content

Postby Andrew on Fri May 19, 2017 7:12 pm

May 19th: 5 Tips for Creating Basketball Game Content

So, you love basketball video games, and you want to create some content for or based on them. That's great! The ratio of creators vs. consumers in any community rarely favours the creators, so any time that somebody new wants to create entertaining and informative content for basketball games, it's most welcome. From our original content and talented modding community, to popular YouTubers and the EA Sports Game Changers, people are talking about basketball games, finding ways to help their fellow gamers enhance their experience, aiding the developers, and providing something interesting and entertaining to read or watch.

Although there are some well established platforms on which to create basketball gaming content, it can be difficult to know where to begin. To that end, I thought that I'd put together a shortlist of tips for anyone who wants to get involved in creating mods, videos, articles, and so on. Having observed what makes other people's content successful (and in my opinion enjoyable), as well as having tried my hand at more than a couple of creative endeavours related to basketball games over the years, these are some traits and techniques that I like to keep in mind. Hopefully, some of them will be useful to aspiring content creators within the basketball gaming community.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: The Friday Five: 5 Biggest Developments in Modding

Postby Andrew on Fri May 26, 2017 8:25 pm

May 26th: 5 Biggest Developments in Modding

I've said it many, many times before, but our modding community has done some great things over the years. Of course, creating all those amazing mods hasn't always been easy, and in the case of some games, it's taken a while after their release to develop all the necessary tools. Even today, there are obstacles that make modding difficult at times, and there are some things that we used to be able to do that we presently cannot. Obviously, the goal here is to do the best we can with the tools at our disposal, and keep trying to develop new methods and resources that will help us to tinker with basketball video games as desired.

With that in mind, we only need to look back at the major developments in modding to find inspiration. As a community, we've been able to overcome a lot of obstacles in being able to modify NBA Live and NBA 2K, and in one or two instances, the developers themselves have helped us along the way. In the spirit of recognising all the advancements in modding, and hopefully providing some inspiration to keep doing what we're doing, I'd like to discuss five major milestones that I believe have marked some of the most important developments in the hobby. Without them, modding would certainly be far more limited, if not impossible.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: The Friday Five: 5 Things NLSC THRILLHO Learned in 2K Pro-Am

Postby Andrew on Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:48 pm

June 2nd: 5 Things NLSC THRILLHO Learned in 2K Pro-Am

Even though we've cut back on our 2K Pro-Am sessions in NBA 2K17, the members of NLSC THRILLHO still get together once a week, or at least once a fortnight, to play a few games. As Arcane and I have mentioned in recent episodes of the NLSC Podcast, we've had a couple of really fun sessions recently including one where we finished the night on a five game winning streak, but also a couple of very frustrating ones. Last week's session was an example of the latter, leading us to call it a night after only two games.

At this point, we've played over 470 games, which is the equivalent of about five and three quarter seasons (or a little under two and a half seasons, adjusting the twenty minute games for regulation length). NLSC THRILLHO certainly isn't one of the top-ranked squads, but with all those games, we do at least have a lot of experience under our belts. To that end, we've undoubtedly learned a thing or two about the mode, which has given us a new perspective as we look ahead to NBA 2K18. If I may speak on behalf of NLSC THRILLHO for a moment, these are probably the five most important lessons we've learned in NBA 2K17's 2K Pro-Am.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: The Friday Five: 5 Failed Ideas Newer Basketball Games Salvaged

Postby Andrew on Fri Jun 09, 2017 6:31 pm

June 9th: 5 Failed Ideas Newer Basketball Games Salvaged

Sometimes, disappointing basketball video games still bring surprisingly good ideas to the table. Likewise, even the best basketball video games can have features that seem kind of weak compared to the rest of the product. And of course, ideas that were good in theory can be executed poorly, regardless of the game's overall quality. In the best case scenario, great ideas that didn't pan out the first time around or were overshadowed by their game's shortcomings can be dusted off, polished up, and put to use in much better releases. If an idea has merit, it's worth revisiting.

While it may be harsh to call some of the ideas I'm discussing here "failures", their first incarnation was at the very least problematic, and their basic concepts ended up being shelved for at least a few years. Upon making their way back into more recent basketball video games, they've benefitted from advancements in technology and fine-tuning of the original concept, ultimately working out a lot better as a result. Some credit therefore has to be given to those original ideas, which obviously weren't all bad. Not every one of these ideas is universally liked by basketball gamers, but at the very least, they've been salvaged and done better since their debut.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: The Friday Five: 5 Failed Ideas Newer Basketball Games Salvaged

Postby [Q] on Sat Jun 10, 2017 12:36 am

I really liked Elite 11's shooting method for free throws. I wish they'd bring that back
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

PreviousNext

Return to Featured Content & Community Noticeboard