Lakers Thread

Like real basketball, as well as basketball video games? Talk about the NBA, NCAA, and other professional and amateur basketball leagues here.

Re: Lakers Thread

Postby Bruce on Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:53 pm

air gordon wrote:So would it be wiser to keep both contracts of the prized vets as is vs stretch provision one? Longer payout but that would open up more $ to throw at a big name fa (Paul George )

I don't think any truly good FA will be coming to LA in the off-season. If Deng continues to underperform and Mozzy plays as he always has. I think the best decision is to keep the two for 2 extra seasons and use the stretch on the final season of their contracts to create room for FA and pay the young ones that do perform. Of course that is if there really is no opportunity coming to trade them for the venerable "cap space". While we are at it, I think Brewer might attract some suitors. Maybe the Lakers can squeeze something out of that.
YEAH BOY!
Bruce

Postby Jackal on Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:03 pm

air gordon wrote:So would it be wiser to keep both contracts of the prized vets as is vs stretch provision one? Longer payout but that would open up more $ to throw at a big name fa (Paul George )

George isn't available this off season, right? If he comes this off season it will be in a trade for the lottery pick and others. Hopefully anyone but Ingram and Russell. With that in mind, just eat their contracts. Let Zu have the russian to go up against in practice and let Luol, Luol. He seems to be a good veteran, does what's asked and doesn't create a fuss. Then again for that amount, I would hope he doesn't fuss.

I don't think anyone is going to give LA anything for Brew. Like having him on the team but it was basically about the draft pick in that trade. Whatever he adds is a bonus.

I don't think any big name FA's are coming to LA this off season, in terms of development it doesn't make much sense either. Would welcome George in a trade though, but it all depends on the lottery.

Zu/Black - Nance - Ingram - George - Russell doesn't sound too bad on paper. (Assuming Don Julio & Clarkson need to be added in that trade scenario.)
Jackal

Postby air gordon on Sun Mar 12, 2017 2:09 am

Ah yes pg13 is a FA next year. My mistake

Interesting development with the lakers tank job battle. From outsiders POV it seems lala is content stinking it up for more lottery balls (and to keep the pick). Suns oddly enough are playing themselves out of bottom 3 while philly and Orlando are joining the fray
Jump.
Scott Skiles answer to the question on how Eddy Curry can become a better rebounder
air gordon

Postby [Q] on Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:38 pm

Does anybody get the sinking feeling that D'Angelo's max potential is to be a one-dimensional player like Carmelo Anthony that never takes his team anywhere? After seeing Lonzo Ball's performance today, if the Lakers get the #1 pick, they should trade Russell for Paul george

Sure, Russell dropped 40, but it doesn't matter if you let the other guy score 46, it doesn't mean shit
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:37 pm

Do you think Lonzo Ball will be a lockdown defender at the NBA level?
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Jackal on Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:22 pm

I'm not quitting on Russell yet, he's young still and the PG position isn't a cakewalk. He's got the smarts and I really hope he pans out.

Would you rather have D-Lo or Don Julio, Q?
Jackal

Postby [Q] on Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:21 am

Andrew wrote:Do you think Lonzo Ball will be a lockdown defender at the NBA level?

I don't expect him to be great defensively, but he seems to be more of a team player than Russell. With Russell, you'll get nights like this where he scores 40 but you'll also get plenty of nights where he shoots you out of the game and wind up like 2 for 15. Ball is a much more willing passer

Russell could be a great scorer in the league, but I can't see him as a traditional pg setting anyone else up. I'd rather see them trade Russell and keep randle and Clarkson
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby dare on Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:53 am

[Q] wrote:Russell could be a great scorer in the league, but I can't see him as a traditional pg setting anyone else up. I'd rather see them trade Russell and keep randle and Clarkson

The thing with Russell is he is a scoring guard who is learning how to play point guard, he even said that it's his first time playing point guard last year. He is still learning but you can see glimpse that he can play point guard in the NBA.
dare
True kings have rings

Postby air gordon on Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:54 am

[Q] wrote:Does anybody get the sinking feeling that D'Angelo's max potential is to be a one-dimensional player like Carmelo Anthony that never takes his team anywhere? After seeing Lonzo Ball's performance today, if the Lakers get the #1 pick, they should trade Russell for Paul george

Sure, Russell dropped 40, but it doesn't matter if you let the other guy score 46, it doesn't mean shit

A bit premature. Give the guy a chance. This is his redshirt freshman year. Not too many pure pg's nowadays anyway. Though I will say his perceived value is lower than what it was was for him heading into the draft

Poor Carmelo Anthony being used in these type of comparisons.
Jump.
Scott Skiles answer to the question on how Eddy Curry can become a better rebounder
air gordon

Postby Andrew on Thu May 04, 2017 12:19 pm

Lakers Reportedly 'Enamored' with Lonzo Ball

We know LaVar Ball wants his son to play for the Los Angeles Lakers. We know Lonzo Ball wants it too—even if he's more diplomatic than his bombastic father.

It appears the Lakers are all-in on the UCLA prospect as well.

ESPN's Chad Ford reported the Lakers are "enamored" with Ball and believe he would "add star power to a team desperately in search of it."
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby [Q] on Thu May 04, 2017 3:17 pm

I would prefer him over d'angelo. Ball is an unselfish player. Obviously it would be duplicating a position, so they'd trade him for a guy like Paul George
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Jackal on Sat May 06, 2017 12:13 am

Why? Russ isn't a selfish player? I'm just not sure he's a traditional PG. For longevity's sake you draft best available talent if you keep the pick and work with what you've got for another year. Sign George next off season. Why even give up assets when the guy is a year away from FA?

Ball's dad really puts me off. Add that cheesy BBB shoe advertisement they released. His shooting stroke looks incredibly unorthodox as well and I'm sure some opposing teams will target him solely based on his dad.

If LA keeps their pick I'd want Fultz - Jackson - Ball in that order.

I think a back court of Russell & Ball would work if it comes down to it.

Still the highest on Ingram though, I really like that kid. He's so emotionless I want him to be Kawhi-lite so bad. Favorite players currently are Ingram - Russell - Nance - Randle & Clarkson in that order. Love T-Rob & Black too. Zubac is a project so wouldn't want to lose him yet either.

Bless this team draft lottery gods.
Jackal

Postby [Q] on Sat May 06, 2017 2:04 am

Lol I'm the opposite, randle and Clarkson are my favorites. I like the energy that Nance brings. Ingram's got a lot of potential to be a great all-around player
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Jackal on Tue May 09, 2017 7:25 pm

lakerfilmroom.com/2016-2017-in-review-a-tale-of-two-teams/

That's a good read. Supports my notion that Clarkson is expendable and Randle is a question mark at this point.
Jackal

Postby air gordon on Thu May 11, 2017 5:16 am

Interesting deng is used for most of the anti clarkson portion

Isn't everyone on this roster not untouchable? Ugh double negatives
Jump.
air gordon

Postby Jackal on Sat May 13, 2017 11:28 pm

air gordon wrote:Isn't everyone on this roster not untouchable? Ugh double negatives

Ingram and to a lesser extent Russell for me.
Jackal

Postby air gordon on Sun May 14, 2017 12:33 am

Would rights to fultz for Russell or Ingram + 1st pick interest you??
Jump.
air gordon

Postby Jackal on Mon May 15, 2017 8:06 am

I don't know much about Fultz, given I don't I'll stick with what I know and I know Ingram turned it up end of the season. Kid is just 19, I'll stick with Ingram/Russell over Fultz (unknown to me) and a first round pick (which is also unknown to me).
Jackal

Postby air gordon on Tue May 16, 2017 2:51 am

You could say the same thing about the lakers guys

Fair enough anyway. A lot of pundits are claiming fultz is a for sure franchise player
Jump.
air gordon

Postby Murat on Tue May 16, 2017 4:09 am

So Lonzo Ball is the new Kobe. Lakers acquires a superstar

in a few years Clarkson and Russell (Van Exel and Jones) leaves and veterans replace them.

Lakers champs in 2020
Murat
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Jackal on Tue May 16, 2017 9:06 am

air gordon wrote:You could say the same thing about the lakers guys

Fair enough anyway. A lot of pundits are claiming fultz is a for sure franchise player

True, but I've been burned being all hyped with the Okafor thing a few years back. I'll wait it out and see them play first. I'm sure Fultz or whoever goes 1-2-3 will be good or have the potential to be, but I think Ingram and to a lesser extent Russell have something pretty special in them.

Hopefully all the young guys come in to next season showing some improvements, they've all got areas they can work on.
Jackal

Postby air gordon on Wed May 17, 2017 3:18 am

Believe the hype as it gets bigger the closer to the draft lol

Top Prospects don't even attend/participate in the combine anymore. For shame
Jump.
air gordon

Postby Jackal on Wed May 17, 2017 11:11 am

Fuck. Yes.

Celtics you guys have IT at the point, draft Josh Jackson.

https://streamable.com/08ujo
Jackal

Postby Andrew on Wed May 17, 2017 11:29 am

Enjoy LaVar!
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Sauru on Wed May 17, 2017 11:30 am

we better take fultz. if i had my way we would trade IT while his value was high as i have no faith in his longevity as an "elite" player.

good news for you guys though as papa ball wanted baby ball to play for LA anyway.

edit: see this "report" that ball might only work out for the lakers? man i hope thats true then the celtics can fuck the lakers and work a deal before hand where both teams get who they want but the lakers have to send shit bostons way also
Sauru

PreviousNext

Return to NBA & Basketball