Potential Changes to Buyout Rules

Like real basketball, as well as basketball video games? Talk about the NBA, NCAA, and other professional and amateur basketball leagues here.

Potential Changes to Buyout Rules

Postby Andrew on Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:28 pm

NBA teams reportedly want to change the rule that allowed the Cavs to bolster their team without giving up anything

The Cleveland Cavaliers were one of the winners of the NBA trade deadline, in part, because they didn’t do anything.

While some teams gave up assets to acquire players, the Cavaliers waited patiently until after the deadline, when teams waived the players they couldn’t trade.

As a result, the Cavs were able to add Deron Williams and Andrew Bogut, two veteran players, who, while dubious as starters, can make meaningful contributions off the bench for a now-stacked Cleveland team.

The Golden State Warriors had a similar, albeit less fruitful experience — they added Jose Calderon, only to waive him after two hours to sign Matt Barnes instead. Either player would have been useful off the bench for the Warriors.

According to ESPN’s Zach Lowe, some NBA teams would like to make a change to this Cavs-Warriors-centric buffet. Executives have reportedly proposed changing the rules after a player goes unclaimed on the waiver wire.

Currently, when teams waive players, those players go on a 48-hour waiver wire, where teams under the salary cap can claim them. However, as Lowe notes, teams have little incentive to spend money on players (usually with higher salaries) when they have been cut for under-performing. Those players, if they go unclaimed, become free agents, and often times sign with the best teams. As of late, it’s turned into a rich-get-richer situation.

As Lowe notes, some of the proposed scenarios limit the player’s freedom to choose a team, which seems unfair. However, perhaps with a tweak of the rules, the NBA could make it more financially beneficial for a player to go to a team that isn’t one of the top championship contenders, like Cleveland and Golden State. And if those teams want to bolster their roster with bought-out veterans, then they will have to clear up the cap space to get them or spend more.

Thoughts?

Personally, I feel it's at least worth looking into it. They've definitely got to be careful about infringing on the rights and freedoms of teams and players, but it is getting to the point where top teams can blatantly thumb their nose at the salary cap. Also, I don't think the league has ever been this much of a two team race - at least in the shot clock era - and seeing all these players signing on with either Golden State or Cleveland doesn't give me much hope for things to become more competitive in the near future.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: Potential Changes to Buyout Rules

Postby Jackal on Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:34 pm

Dan Gilbert can go fuck himself. Hypocrite.
Jackal

Postby I Hate Mondays on Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:36 pm

It would be a great decision to do something about it. "Cavs-Warriors-centric buffet" is the best figure of speech to describe the situation. Chances of winning a championship should be equally divided every season between at least 4-6 teams. Nowadays, we kinda have two locked teams to make the Finals. You can bet a hundred bucks on those teams making the finals from day 1 of the regular season. Add some veteran players via buyouts and the only thing that could stop them are some injuries (see the Warriors). If you can't stop veteran players signing minimum wage deals for contenders, at least do something about those buyouts.

P.S. Andrew, I've noticed what you wrote after I've posted my opinion. Glad to see more and more people are noticing this is a two team race, as you've said it.
I Hate Mondays

Postby Jackal on Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:39 pm

I Hate Mondays wrote:You can bet a hundred bucks on those teams making the finals from day 1 of the regular season.

Maybe casual fans. Look at what could've happened to the Warriors/Thunder match up last year. What could happen to them this year is also up in the air. Do I like the way things are going? Of course not, but to say it's a lock isn't really true.
Jackal

Postby Bruce on Mon Mar 06, 2017 4:49 am

I think rule changes like this can only be made after the current CBA expires in 2022. And oh look here, who is conveniently seated as player union VP. So... LeBron will 38 before any amendments can be made to the CBA, any changes to the CBA by then won't really be affecting LeBron.

http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2016/12/14/ ... es-lockout

The “over-36” rule is becoming “over-38”
Under the last CBA, teams couldn’t offer five-year maximum contracts to players who would turn 36 years old during any point of the contract. That rule has been modified from over 36 to over 38.

That would benefit players like Chris Paul, who is the current union president, and LeBron James, who serves as vice president.
YEAH BOY!
Bruce

Postby [Q] on Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:46 am

Jackal wrote:
I Hate Mondays wrote:You can bet a hundred bucks on those teams making the finals from day 1 of the regular season.

Maybe casual fans. Look at what could've happened to the Warriors/Thunder match up last year. What could happen to them this year is also up in the air. Do I like the way things are going? Of course not, but to say it's a lock isn't really true.

Word. This is sports, anything can happen especially in a long season. Bet on the cavs before the season? LeBron tears an acl game 1 of the season. Up 3-1 in the finals? Anything can happen

Cleveland and golden state are over the cap, right? That's how they're signing these guys, for the minimum right? At least Houston did their die diligence in actually clearing cap Space to do it the right way
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:12 am

Indeed, anything can happen, but some things are certainly more likely than others. With the Cavs and Warriors stocking up on players, it seems one of two outcomes are quite likely, barring misfortune.

Even if it was four or five top teams doing this, it's becoming a bit ridiculous.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby I Hate Mondays on Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:10 pm

From an analytic perspective, the Warriors and Cavs were locked in for the finals at the start of the season. No guy on TV, internet, whatever tackles "what if season ending injury happens?" scenarios. They all talk like any external factor is out of the question. I take those scenarios into consideration everytime, I was just saying what media people were saying in October: Warriors vs Cavs for the third year in a row.
I Hate Mondays

Postby air gordon on Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:17 am

I think the solution is get rid of these buyouts. Sorry for the players but they are bound to the contracts they signed. They shouldn't have the ability to ask out in the middle of a contract because they "want to go to a contender"
Jump.
Scott Skiles answer to the question on how Eddy Curry can become a better rebounder
air gordon

Postby Andrew on Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:28 am

That's a possibility, but I do think that teams and players need the flexibility to part ways and mutually agree to void their working agreement. Restricting the number of bought-out players a team can sign, moving up the postseason eligibility date, or restricting buyouts to the offseason might be a fairer compromise.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby air gordon on Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:40 am

Im not for it. There isn't much benefit for the owner side as they still have to pay the salary and the player earns an additional salary from the team that picks him up

The players are coddled way too much
Jump.
Scott Skiles answer to the question on how Eddy Curry can become a better rebounder
air gordon

Postby Andrew on Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:47 am

From the owners perspective, the player comes off the books earlier, and they don't have to take on worse assets (or give up anything, like other players or draft picks) in a trade to get rid of the player they want to part ways with sooner rather than later. But fair point, the players do tend to benefit more from it, at least immediately.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby [Q] on Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:42 am

Traditionally, it's the teams that are over the cap that are the best teams so why not limit bought out pkayers to teams under the cap? or at least to non tax payers
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:47 am

Good thinking. (Y)
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby air gordon on Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:06 am

Interesting point there. It's unlikely someone will want to be bought out if that's the case
Jump.
air gordon

Postby Jackal on Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:10 pm

[Q] wrote:Traditionally, it's the teams that are over the cap that are the best teams so why not limit bought out pkayers to teams under the cap? or at least to non tax payers

This makes the most sense. The players are having their cake now and eating it too. The owners benefit in a way since the buyout (usually?) is lower than the total amount still owed to the players.

Now Larry Sanders is working out for the Cavs. Don't know how effective he'll be but damn, a team like Boston sure could use a rim protector. At least, they could've used Larry back when he was playing.

I can't believe I advocated for the Celtics over the Cavs. It just ruffles my jimmies when Lebron has all these guys around him and still goes on a bullshit spewing spree about not having a play maker and can't get the help he needs. Bitch, the dude is already paying out of his ass. How bout ya'll just play better?

Kevin Durant over there talking about taking the hardest road. Motherfucker Bestbrook is averaging a damn triple double and you choked away a 3-1 lead to the team you're on. Hardest road...

Soft ass league. Charmin' soft.

Sorry, rant over.
Jackal

Postby Sauru on Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:06 am

the problem with waivers is if the players dont want to play for you then they wont play for you. you can sign them and you can pay them but they are going to coast til season end. then you have to deal with that players agent again who now has a sour taste in his mouth. i much rather see a hard cap (wont ever happen) over changes to how buyouts work. so long as you have super teams that are handed a free ticket to the finals you will continue to have ring chasers.
Sauru

Postby Andrew on Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:45 am

But since a hard cap isn't feasible, shouldn't the league be looking to change problematic rules and close loopholes?
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Sauru on Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:16 pm

Andrew wrote:But since a hard cap isn't feasible, shouldn't the league be looking to change problematic rules and close loopholes?

i think so. there is several things the league should look into and should never stop investigating. teams will constantly try to game the system so the league should try and stay a head of the curve a bit and stop waiting for things to get totally out of control to think about fixing stuff
Sauru

Postby Andrew on Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:10 pm

That's what they're trying to do here with the buyout rules. They can't be flat out unfair to the players, who may be receiving a lot of money to play basketball, but the trade off for that is they also get treated like commodities and have a lot less control over their employment than most vocations. However, it's getting out of hand as far as teams over both the salary cap and luxury tax threshold being able to beef up their rosters, as long as they don't mind footing the bill.

That's why I like Q's suggestion. A soft cap combined with a luxury tax means that teams can spend an inordinate amount to build their rosters by way of certain exceptions, but restrictions apply and there are penalties for doing so. Being barred from snapping up players who've been bought out, for a fraction of their former salary no less, is within the spirit of penalising and restricting luxury tax payers, and strikes me as a fair and logical solution to close the loophole.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Alejandrov011 on Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:17 am

[Q] wrote:Traditionally, it's the teams that are over the cap that are the best teams so why not limit bought out pkayers to teams under the cap? or at least to non tax payers

That's a good point dude!
Alejandrov011
Leading the NBA in assists since NBA Live 2001

Postby NovU on Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:49 pm

I am not fond of this idea to change things now. It's not like neither the Warriors and Cavs picked up anything meaningful. Deron's been a shitty player for a loong time now. Bogut's an aussie. Calderon's done long time ago.
THX TO DOPE-JAO FOR THE SPECIAL SIG! <3
Enjoy! <3 Jao
NovU
Crap, what am I going to brag about now?

Return to NBA & Basketball