Aussies to be hit with GST on Steam purhcases

Other video games, TV shows, movies, general chit-chat...this is an all-purpose off-topic board where you can talk about anything that doesn't have its own dedicated section.

Aussies to be hit with GST on Steam purhcases

Postby Andrew on Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:17 am

Australians will be charged 10 percent GST on Steam games from July

It's been a very real possibility for years now, but it's finally happening: Australians will be required to pay 10 percent GST on every Steam purchase from July this year. The report comes via Kotaku, following an email reportedly sent to developers by Valve.

"The VAT tax amount will be included in the advertised price of your product, just like VAT is currently treated in the EU," part of the email seen by Kotaku reads. "This means the customer will pay the price displayed on the storefront, and the tax will be separated out afterwards."

It's hard to know whether this will effect a 10 percent increase across the board: some publishers and studios might choose to absorb the tax themselves – as unlikely as that seems. Whatever the case, despite promises in 2014 that it was imminent, Australia still doesn't have its own currency on Steam. If that isn't cleared up come July, the handwringing will be real.

If Steam implements AUD and there's no markup like the one there already is on top of prices being in USD, I guess it won't be so bad. I can't shake the feeling we're going to be screwed even worse, though.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: Aussies to be hit with GST on Steam purhcases

Postby mp3 on Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:11 pm

You see that a lot theses days with international purchases which you wouldn't think you would with the Internet being what it is today.

For example my $5 donation to this site carries a non USA charge and a small percentage charge to company for there part so $5 is in fact $8.26
Youtube - mp3 Basketball Gaming
mp3

Postby Andrew on Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:13 pm

Ouch. Certainly makes me appreciate the contribution even more. ;)
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby mp3 on Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:03 pm

Hey it's money well spent and I'd only waste it on beer anyway
mp3

Postby Andrew on Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:58 pm

Waste it on beer? I know those words, but I don't understand the sentence. :P
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby mp3 on Sun Mar 12, 2017 6:57 pm

Hey I didn't understand either till I hit my mid 30's to drink without paying for it the next day, nowadays it's nice to enjoy a beverage or two and then call it a night and of course still have money for donations is always a bonus.
mp3

Postby Andrew on Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:31 pm

I hear you. It certainly saves money, and makes for a more pleasant Saturday/Sunday morning.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby mp3 on Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:19 am

Speaking of didn't prices for games I think console version of games carries a different price around the globe too, most new titles in the UK will range from £50-60 but I've seen in other countries it's like £10-15 cheaper
mp3

Postby Andrew on Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:49 am

It used to be worse here. I remember when the Xbox 360 was relatively new, prices went as high as $120 AUS. Most PS4/X1 games are in the $75-100 AUS range, depending on where you buy from.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Return to Off-Topic