Boston Celtics Thread

Like real basketball, as well as basketball video games? Talk about the NBA, NCAA, and other professional and amateur basketball leagues here.

Re: Boston Celtics Thread

Postby Dee4Three on Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:09 am

NovU wrote:LoL. Drummond after all these years still can't make 1/2 the free throws. Where is benji now?

How can you possibly judge a Center completely on his bad free throw shooting? I take his upsides (which are MANY) over his free throw shooting woes. Shaq/Wilt/Russell were also bad free throw shooters. Drummond is only 23, 5th year in the league, averaging 17PPG/16RPG/2.0 SPG and 1.5 BPG per 36 minutes while shooting almost 53% from the floor, and never being hurt.

His upsides are enormous. I make a move on Drummond if I am the Celtics.
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Check out my YouTube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvHJXrqit8Dc6HBY5P6EmAA

Follow me on Twitter

https://twitter.com/Dee4Three84
Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby air gordon on Fri Feb 24, 2017 5:39 am

Sauru wrote:i dont think its a matter of being scared of those two teams its a matter of reality. if KD would have signed with boston i would be here saying send every pick we got away and lets win it this season but since it didnt go that way i am saying i rather them be patient. we are still a head of schedule on the rebuild

So what's the "plan"? Assuming celts stand pat and they end up with ball or faulz or whichever freshman guard. That's at least 3yrs until they are ready to contribute.

Meanwhile what happens with Bradley & IT after next year when they are free agents?

Juat saying.... ainge has done a good job accumulating assets but it looks like it getting close to having to cash them in. Make use of Johnson and jerebko's expiring salary
Jump.
Scott Skiles answer to the question on how Eddy Curry can become a better rebounder
air gordon

Postby Dee4Three on Fri Feb 24, 2017 6:07 am

Heres whats funny, I am hearing some people who have said "Nobody can beat Cleveland or GSW this year" be the same people who are saying that the Raptors getting Ibaka and now PJ Tucker "Have a good chance to compete". Make up your mind people, those two teams can absolutely be competed with this year.
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:22 am

Dee4Three wrote:Heres whats funny, I am hearing some people who have said "Nobody can beat Cleveland or GSW this year" be the same people who are saying that the Raptors getting Ibaka and now PJ Tucker "Have a good chance to compete". Make up your mind people, those two teams can absolutely be competed with this year.

It seems to be a common thread these days, irreconcilable points of view. For example, some will assert that LeBron making six straight NBA Finals has pushed him past MJ and all others, but at the same time, they'll talk about how weak and irrelevant the East is; the latter kind of diminishes the impressiveness of the former, if true. The Draft Lottery is also rigged so that about five different teams are winning it, and if the team you like most doesn't win the Lottery, that's proof of the corruption right there.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Dee4Three on Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:26 am

Andrew wrote:
Dee4Three wrote:Heres whats funny, I am hearing some people who have said "Nobody can beat Cleveland or GSW this year" be the same people who are saying that the Raptors getting Ibaka and now PJ Tucker "Have a good chance to compete". Make up your mind people, those two teams can absolutely be competed with this year.

It seems to be a common thread these days, irreconcilable points of view. For example, some will assert that LeBron making six straight NBA Finals has pushed him past MJ and all others, but at the same time, they'll talk about how weak and irrelevant the East is; the latter kind of diminishes the impressiveness of the former, if true. The Draft Lottery is also rigged so that about five different teams are winning it, and if the team you like most doesn't win the Lottery, that's proof of the corruption right there.

Dun dun dunnnn...

phpBB [video]

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:04 am

If I don't like the result, or the result was in any way fortuitous, it's rigged. Wake up, sheeple!

Anyway, the Celtics stood pat at the deadline. Thoughts?
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby big-shot-ROB on Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:03 am

Quite disappointed with Ainge seeing what was the expense team paid for Cousins or Noel. I guess Ainge wanted to keep the picks away from any negotiation and any team was not going to begin trade talks if the picks were not in the conversation. I think either the assets the Celtics had were too good for teams not to demand them or Ainge is completly useless and might want thought about retiring.

Cousins for Hield?
Noel for Anderson and Bogut?
big-shot-ROB
Robert Horry is better than MJ, because everybody knows that 7>6.

Postby air gordon on Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:48 am

It makes more sense to make a deal involving the nets 2017 pick when they know the actual pick

I don't think you can fault ainge yet

Toronto definitely improved. The Tucker acquisition was a solid move
Jump.
Scott Skiles answer to the question on how Eddy Curry can become a better rebounder
air gordon

Postby JaoSming on Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:58 am

I'm happy
Opinions are my own.

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Postby Sauru on Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:06 pm

i can honestly say you will find no such comment anywhere from me. only way the cavs do not make the finals is through injuries

edit: i am very happy with how today went
Sauru

Postby NovU on Fri Feb 24, 2017 6:24 pm

air gordon wrote:
Sauru wrote:i dont think its a matter of being scared of those two teams its a matter of reality. if KD would have signed with boston i would be here saying send every pick we got away and lets win it this season but since it didnt go that way i am saying i rather them be patient. we are still a head of schedule on the rebuild

So what's the "plan"? Assuming celts stand pat and they end up with ball or faulz or whichever freshman guard. That's at least 3yrs until they are ready to contribute.

Meanwhile what happens with Bradley & IT after next year when they are free agents?

Juat saying.... ainge has done a good job accumulating assets but it looks like it getting close to having to cash them in. Make use of Johnson and jerebko's expiring salary

If the plan is to become a contender, it's gotta be noted it's much much easier to build a contender from a winning team than a total loser. People mistake lottery for years = eventually a contender by somehow hitting a LBJ but nothing could be further from the truth.
THX TO DOPE-JAO FOR THE SPECIAL SIG! <3
Enjoy! <3 Jao
NovU
Crap, what am I going to brag about now?

Postby air gordon on Sat Feb 25, 2017 1:18 am

NovU wrote:
air gordon wrote:

If the plan is to become a contender, it's gotta be noted it's much much easier to build a contender from a winning team than a total loser. People mistake lottery for years = eventually a contender by somehow hitting a LBJ but nothing could be further from the truth.

yeah its easier to do that but the question remains of what is the plan? i guess we'll just wait for a celtic fan to answer it/pass along what some beat writer wrote
Jump.
air gordon

Postby Dee4Three on Sat Feb 25, 2017 2:04 am

I don't think Fultz is the answer, or our future, same with Ball. I don't think this draft class is as loaded as people are saying. I also don't like the idea of getting another small guard if we are continuing to hang on to Thomas and continue to make him one of the focal points of the offense.

JaoSming says he is happy, I guess I could say I am content for now. I would have pushed for Drummond (Not sure what mr. Van Gundy was after for him, but I am guessing it was a high asking price). But it seems like those talks (If they were had) didn't go anywhere.

But to say that Cleveland and GSW are unbeatable, I can't get on board with that. I have seen both of those teams play some pretty bad basketball at points (First half last night the Warriors looked horrendous vs the Clippers). It's a failing mindset , also not realistic mindset, to say that the second best record in the Eastern Conference has no chance to win it. Nobody thought the Nuggets had a chance in hell against the Sonics in the early 90's, nobody thought the Warriors would upset the Jazz in the mid 2000's, this stuff happens in sports.

Also, what I do like about this trade deadline, is that the Celtics were the focal point. Teams are watching us, Execs are watching us, they recognize that not only do we have the draft picks, but we have a lot of young and capable assets, and a fantastic coach. Also, with all the rumblings about how crappy some of the ownerships are for small and big market teams, I will certainly take Ainge for what he is. I think he does a good job, and doesn't make any moves that would jeopardize our future.

The future is bright for us. I like what the C's are doing.

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby Sauru on Sat Feb 25, 2017 4:32 am

air gordon wrote:
NovU wrote:
air gordon wrote:

yeah its easier to do that but the question remains of what is the plan? i guess we'll just wait for a celtic fan to answer it/pass along what some beat writer wrote

i cant say exactly what the plan is since i dont work for the celtics but i would guess right now the plan is to not over pay for a player. me personally i still dont see thomas as a long term option so i want to see them build around someone else. i would love if we could some how get gordon hayward this off season and then figure out what to do. we can trade whoever we draft after we draft them. i want to select first and then see how free agency goes. if we can land a top free agent then trade the player who will have just as much value then as he does now. this also allows us to trade for a player who will fit the team after we land a free agent instead of having to find a free agent to fit in after the trade.

basically i see zero reason to rush anything right now
Sauru

Postby air gordon on Sat Feb 25, 2017 6:06 am

Sauru wrote:

i cant say exactly what the plan is since i dont work for the celtics but i would guess right now the plan is to not over pay for a player. me personally i still dont see thomas as a long term option so i want to see them build around someone else. i would love if we could some how get gordon hayward this off season and then figure out what to do. we can trade whoever we draft after we draft them. i want to select first and then see how free agency goes. if we can land a top free agent then trade the player who will have just as much value then as he does now. this also allows us to trade for a player who will fit the team after we land a free agent instead of having to find a free agent to fit in after the trade.

basically i see zero reason to rush anything right now

yeah but you post in a video game message board so your opinion counts more than the celts organization

hayward would be good. is it likely he would leave the jazz and take less to come to boston? other FA's- http://hoopshype.com/2017/01/25/nba-fre ... p-players/
Griffin? Noel? Derrick Favors? none of those guys will come cheap

going off the not overpay plan, so trade bradley and IT this offseason?

i'm on board with trading the pick.

i think the celts are in a good situation and are in no rush per say but as i have alluded to in the previous posts, they are going to make some big decisions very soon. and it's a peculiar situation since they don't have a legit #1 scoring option (if you're in the camp of IT not being a long term asset) to build around.
Jump.
air gordon

Postby Sauru on Sat Feb 25, 2017 9:45 am

i have no problem trading the player we receive from the pick, i just wanted to keep the pick as we have absolute zero chance of winning it all this season. the only way waiting back fires is if we land the 3rd pick. i prefer to see how free agency goes and then figure out what to do with whoever we draft. a lot like the cavs with wiggins and lebron.

not sure we can get hayward but it would be a best case scenario for me this off season. i look at the celtics and i cant help but think of how good they would have been for the next several years if KD joined us. also on top of that no one would have said KD took the cowards way out. when he gets his ring it wont mean shit to most people but if he had won with the celtics it would have because no one considered them as a real treat. oh well
Sauru

Postby air gordon on Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:56 am

Need to get over KD already!
Jump.
air gordon

Postby Dee4Three on Wed Mar 01, 2017 5:14 am

Yeah, the KD ship has sailed.

I'm nervous about Horfords lack of intensity on the Offensive end lately. Sometimes he goes a lengthy amount of time without even touching the ball, and when he does, he is really passive. I knew with him coming to us that he wasn't going to be a super aggressive offensive threat... but I also didn't expect him to completely disappear on the offensive end.

I also don't like that down the stretch we look lost trying to find shots. Sometimes we seem to play like we all have ADD (FRANTIC basketball). We need poise. One thing that separates the Raptors and us is poise. I feel like when I watch Toronto, they have a good idea of what they are going to do down the stretch, and the players seem to pace themselves in a more calm/confident tone.

We look frantic as hell sometimes.

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby Sauru on Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:18 am

i more brought up KD from his perspective. him winning with the warrios amounts to nothing. him winning with anyone else would have meant something.
Sauru

Postby Dee4Three on Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:42 am

Big win last night. Loved seeing Crowder/Bradley/Horford with clutch moments down the stretch.

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby Jeffx on Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:36 am

Sauru wrote:
JaoSming wrote:
Sauru wrote:i would be satisfied to say the least if the celtics could land a top 3 pick 2 years in a row

So, with the deadline this week, try to "win now" by giving up one or both picks, or wait it out and hope IT & friends are somewhat still together and playing well in 2-5 years.

there is no win it now situation for the celtics. we could add any player in the league and still dont win. i am also not sold on thomas being a long term superstar. the celtics entered rebuilding mode and are well ahead of the game. why throw it away just to maybe beat the cavs and earn the right to lose in the finals? thats a big maybe by the way. i think adding butler we still dont make the finals

Exactly....I love what Ainge is doing. He's thinking long-term and setting Boston up to take over the east once LeBron starts to decline.
Jeffx

Postby Dee4Three on Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:11 am

As much as I like Kelly Olynyks offensive prowess, his lack of boxing out really bugs me. For a guy like him who is limited athletically compared to others in the league, he needs to be boxing out every possession, because he isn't going to get rebounds just based off of his athleticism.

He killed us last night because he was getting outrebounded...

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby [Q] on Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:32 am

LOL at the ending to that suns game
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Dee4Three on Wed Mar 08, 2017 4:14 am

[Q] wrote:LOL at the ending to that suns game

Horrible. I don't like the defensive lineup Stevens had on the floor either at the end. He had Jae Crowder at center.. so as soon as Bledsoe turned the corner to the hoop (Getting passed his first defender, to tie the game) he only had to finish it on Rozier (Who didn't do anything but stand under the hoop), and Crowder. I would have liked to maybe see Zeller in down the stretch, SOMEBODY big enough to protect the hoop.

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby air gordon on Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:11 am

Some food for thought...

Is IT leading the league in 4th qtr scoring actually a bad thing for the celts?? They are in so many close games/ grind it out contests.

My guess is they are outside the top 10 in point differential
Jump.
air gordon

PreviousNext

Return to NBA & Basketball