Lakers Thread

Like real basketball, as well as basketball video games? Talk about the NBA, NCAA, and other professional and amateur basketball leagues here.

Re: Lakers Thread

Postby Jackal on Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:24 pm

Bruce wrote:Recently, near the trade deadline, Russel has been talking like, he is not untouchable blah blah blah. Man, he has not shown he can be a real star in the league. So by all means Lakers, draft another PG.

Link/article/video? I must've missed this.

I think if they did get another guard they'd coexist fine. Russell is 6'5 which makes him capable of playing the "other" guard. Fultz is 6'4, Ball is 6'6 and Jackson is listed at 6'8. I''m sure drafting any of those three guys wouldn't mean Russell is on his way out.

For now, I just hope the Lakers keep the pick. Not getting myself worked up a la Okafor hype a few years back. Learned my lesson.
Jackal

Postby [Q] on Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:41 am

Ball seems like more of a facilitator so Russell can play more like a 2 guard. Nick young needs to go
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby air gordon on Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:32 am

I think you guys are getting George. Via trade.
Jump.
Scott Skiles answer to the question on how Eddy Curry can become a better rebounder
air gordon

Postby Jackal on Wed Mar 01, 2017 5:44 am

I'd be cool with trading the pick for PG. Only guys I wouldn't trade are Ingram and Russell.

It's nice a star player actually wants to play in LA again.

Nick Young is getting paid this summer. Dude is balling for his standards and he's on an extremely friendly contract.
Jackal

Postby Dee4Three on Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:22 am

Jackal wrote:I'd be cool with trading the pick for PG. Only guys I wouldn't trade are Ingram and Russell.

It's nice a star player actually wants to play in LA again.

Nick Young is getting paid this summer. Dude is balling for his standards and he's on an extremely friendly contract.

Nick Young is shooting the ball relatively well (from 3, over .400%). However, he brings basically nothing else to the table. He is playing close to 27 MPG and is averaging 1.0 APG. Hes not a great defender, and he's seldom on the boards (2.3 RPG). If one of my guards can't even conjur up 100 assists in a season with that many minutes and that many touches, I'd question giving him a decent payday.

Honestly, I watch Nick Young with a lot of frustration. I hope he doesn't get a good contract, because I don't think he brings anything to the table other than 3 point shooting. And his stats certainly backup that point.
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Check out my YouTube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvHJXrqit8Dc6HBY5P6EmAA

Follow me on Twitter

https://twitter.com/Dee4Three84
Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby Jackal on Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:29 am

Homeboy still getting paid. Especially in this 3-ball era of basketball.
Jackal

Postby Dee4Three on Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:31 am

Jackal wrote:Homeboy still getting paid. Especially in this 3-ball era of basketball.

That's frustrating to me as a fan of the game. One dimensional chuckers getting big pay days because they can shoot the three. But I am not saying you are wrong, some team will probably pay him.

Welcome to the new NBA.
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Check out my YouTube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvHJXrqit8Dc6HBY5P6EmAA

Follow me on Twitter

https://twitter.com/Dee4Three84
Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:49 am

With the rapidly ballooning contracts, it's still hard to tell what qualifies as "overpaid" these days. As I've said before, $10-15 million seems to be the new $5-8 million.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Jackal on Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:08 am

Andrew wrote:it's still hard to tell what qualifies as "overpaid" these days.

Exhibit 1.

Exhibit 2.
Jackal

Postby Andrew on Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:18 am

Touche. But relative to what the stars are getting, their salaries are comparable to the $5-8 million they would've been getting ten years ago.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby air gordon on Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:23 am

Andrew wrote:With the rapidly ballooning contracts, it's still hard to tell what qualifies as "overpaid" these days. As I've said before, $10-15 million seems to be the new $5-8 million.

Hey isn't the 1st amount albeit the lower end supposed to be the new MLE anyway?
Jump.
Scott Skiles answer to the question on how Eddy Curry can become a better rebounder
air gordon

Postby Andrew on Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:26 am

Pretty much. That's been climbing up as well.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby [Q] on Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:50 am

Sauru wrote:the youngest has the worst fucking form. his shot looks so damn ugly. i mean it goes in so whatever but man is that shit ugly.

I forgot you guys swindled the nets for their pick. Man, the luck you guys have had in the last decade...
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Bruce on Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:34 pm

[Q] wrote:
Sauru wrote:the youngest has the worst fucking form. his shot looks so damn ugly. i mean it goes in so whatever but man is that shit ugly.

I forgot you guys swindled the nets for their pick. Man, the luck you guys have had in the last decade...

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/1417 ... erce-trade

On July 12, 2013, the Brooklyn Nets officially announced they had acquired Kevin Garnett, Paul Pierce, Jason Terry and D.J. White from the Boston Celtics in exchange for Gerald Wallace, Kris Humphries, MarShon Brooks, Keith Bogans and their unprotected first-round draft picks in 2014, 2016 and 2018. The Celtics also received the right to swap first-rounders with the Nets in 2017.

I was looking up the current NBA if somehow there was a way to amnesty Deng and Mozgov. Then I thought maybe the Lakers can fool some other teams to take Deng and Mozgov. It's bad trades like these that give me hope. Lol
YEAH BOY!
Bruce

Postby Sauru on Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:06 pm

you guys are crazy. this was a fair and balanced trade
Sauru

Postby Bruce on Thu Mar 02, 2017 2:54 pm

A big maybe if Garnett, Pierce and Terry were still in their primes. So far the 2014 pick turned out to be James Young and the 2016 pick turned out to be Jaylen Brown. But let's see how the picks turn out in 2017 and 2018. Why can't NY have 1 good team? :D
YEAH BOY!
Bruce

Postby Sauru on Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:23 pm

Bruce wrote:A big maybe if Garnett, Pierce and Terry were still in their primes. So far the 2014 pick turned out to be James Young and the 2016 pick turned out to be Jaylen Brown. But let's see how the picks turn out in 2017 and 2018. Why can't NY have 1 good team? :D

well if they got them in their prime then these picks would be total junk right now. even still a prime KG and a prime pierce with a prime terry in tow would by worth 4 total top 3 picks easily imo. however thats not what happened so the nets look like fools
Sauru

Postby air gordon on Sat Mar 04, 2017 2:28 am

Can the lakers use the stretch provision on moz or deng?
Jump.
air gordon

Postby Andrew on Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:20 am

Buss brothers withdraw motion on Lakers meeting to oust Jeanie Buss

Lakers president and co-owner Jeanie Buss has thwarted a legal attempt by her older brothers, Johnny and Jim Buss, to strip her of her controlling ownership of the NBA team.

The Buss brothers had filed a motion to hold a meeting with the Lakers' minority owners next Tuesday to elect a new board of directors -- and to replace Jeanie Buss.

Lawyers for Jeanie Buss challenged the motion in Los Angeles Superior Court on Friday by filing a temporary restraining order, saying the Buss brothers' actions were continuing to "breach their duties" by challenging her controlling ownership.

The motion was subsequently withdrawn, and the meeting for next week has been canceled.

"I want to make sure that they don't try to do this thing again," Jeanie Buss' lawyer Adam Streisand told ESPN. "No one wants to go through this again. We just want the team and the fans to have the stability and the success.

Again, I bet family get-togethers are going to be a blast.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Jackal on Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:48 pm

air gordon wrote:Can the lakers use the stretch provision on moz or deng?

I believe they can, but that would just add more years to their payouts.

If the player is waived from September 1 to June 30, then the current season is paid per the normal payment schedule, and any remaining years are stretched over twice the number of years remaining plus one as described above. For example, if the player is waived on December 1 with two seasons remaining on his contract at $10.2 million and $10.5 million, respectively, then the current season (at $10.2 million) is paid normally, and the final season (at $10.5 million) is stretched over three years (one season times two, plus one) and paid in even amounts of $3.5 million per year.

Deng would be paid for like the coming 7 years I think. (Three remaining, doubled and add one.)

I'm not sure what the NBA salary floor is and if the Lakers would've met it without Deng/Mozgov.

Still those contracts are atrocious, even if it was about meeting the salary floor, I don't understand why they went with such lengthy contracts.
Jackal

Postby Stress Fracture on Sat Mar 04, 2017 11:39 pm

Isn't the provision already used on Artest back then?
benji wrote:LeBron is such a choker. And people were talking about him as an all-time great. As having possibly surpassed Kobe. What a joke.

velvet bliss wrote:Andrew, you the real MVP.

Andrew wrote:He who flops and flails to the Finals and a title, flops and flails best.
Stress Fracture

Postby Jackal on Sun Mar 05, 2017 12:07 am

That's the amnesty clause. That was when you could release a single player and not have his salary count against your cap. The stretch provision just "stretches" the money owed to a player and still counts against the cap I think.

So amnesty is one time use. Stretch not so much.
Jackal

Postby Stress Fracture on Sun Mar 05, 2017 1:33 am

Oh, that. Must have mistakenly identified as that.

You guys want them to be released now? A couple of veterans won't hurt.
benji wrote:LeBron is such a choker. And people were talking about him as an all-time great. As having possibly surpassed Kobe. What a joke.

velvet bliss wrote:Andrew, you the real MVP.

Andrew wrote:He who flops and flails to the Finals and a title, flops and flails best.
Stress Fracture

Postby Bruce on Mon Mar 06, 2017 4:42 am

Stress Fracture wrote:Oh, that. Must have mistakenly identified as that.

You guys want them to be released now? A couple of veterans won't hurt.

No, you misunderstand, We want a miracle, which is about the only thing that can take the Mozgov and Deng contracts out of the Lakers payroll.
YEAH BOY!
Bruce

Postby air gordon on Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:21 am

So would it be wiser to keep both contracts of the prized vets as is vs stretch provision one? Longer payout but that would open up more $ to throw at a big name fa (Paul George )
Jump.
air gordon

PreviousNext

Return to NBA & Basketball