NBA Live 18

Talk about NBA Live 18 here.

Re: NBA Live 18

Postby mp3 on Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:09 pm

zzcoolj21 wrote:You can't make a bad NBA Live if you don't release one
[ Image ]

Surprisingly EA has managed to do that before.
Youtube - mp3 Basketball Gaming
mp3

Postby zzcoolj21 on Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:36 am

I'm pretty sure they are bringing back Westbrook for the cover. They've changed the app picture a couple times, all being Westbrook. Usually when they do this for their other mobile games it's different players from the cover of each years game.

Not a bad player to stick with given the year he's having.
zzcoolj21
20% on Good release machine, The NLSC's Jr Smith

Postby Andrew on Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:38 am

For sure. That'd also be a first for the series, as they're yet to double up on a cover player.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Dee4Three on Sat Feb 25, 2017 12:48 am

This really is the year Live could step in and make some noise. And, it may be the last chance from the loyal fans.

I wish other companies would get back in the fray and make basketball games. We used to have games from 989 Sports, Konami, etc. Did 2K really get so big that the other companies were like "Screw it, I'm outta here"?
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Check out my YouTube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvHJXrqit8Dc6HBY5P6EmAA

Follow me on Twitter

https://twitter.com/Dee4Three84
Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby Patr1ck on Sat Feb 25, 2017 6:16 am

EA missed a huge opportunity. If it was just a preview game with a couple of modes, they could have gained some interest and got some feedback before 18's release later this year. It could have been sold at a lower price, and they could give a discount to the Live release later this year to people who bought the game/preview.

So yeah, what they had was "really good" so they say, but they decide to continue failing with delays and cancellations. No trust in their community. No innovation. No identity. No confidence in their product.
Patr1ck
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Andrew on Sat Feb 25, 2017 9:54 am

I think the interest will still be there. 2K has had the opportunity to slam the door shut, but they haven't done so.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Dee4Three on Wed Mar 01, 2017 1:19 am

Andrew, I also think the interest will be there.

One thing I would like to see, is more pump up for the new game. Remember when NBA Live had commercials? When it seemed it was all over the place? I havn't seen it in years. Yes, they put out a demo, but EA needs to spend the money to get people really hyped for NBA Lives return. Maybe even just make a HUGE deal about "this being the year", and use that hype in commercial spots/online etc.
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby ThePointForward on Wed Mar 01, 2017 1:42 am

They should take notes from Ubisoft in this. Ubisoft literally paid ton of streamers on Twitch to play the shit out of For Honor. And it worked well for them.

I really hope Live 18 will be good because at this point I'm really getting frustrated every single time I play NBA 2K17.
ThePointForward
Formerly Dommy73

Postby Dee4Three on Wed Mar 01, 2017 1:48 am

Dommy73 wrote:They should take notes from Ubisoft in this. Ubisoft literally paid ton of streamers on Twitch to play the shit out of For Honor. And it worked well for them.

I really hope Live 18 will be good because at this point I'm really getting frustrated every single time I play NBA 2K17.

Exactly. Pay people to really hype the game, get it in front of everybody.

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby ThaLiveKing on Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:26 am

Part of me believes they're using Live 16 as a guinea pig, cause I keep seeing new animations. Could be cause I moved sliders around also, but the game seems to be playing a lot better. I don't think they're allowed to tell us that they're doing it, but it sure feels like it.
ThaLiveKing

Postby Dee4Three on Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:40 am

ThaLiveKing wrote:Part of me believes they're using Live 16 as a guinea pig, cause I keep seeing new animations. Could be cause I moved sliders around also, but the game seems to be playing a lot better. I don't think they're allowed to tell us that they're doing it, but it sure feels like it.

This is interesting. I might have to play it for XB1 and see how it feels.

Can you explain what seems better?

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby ThePointForward on Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:43 am

Speaking of Live 16... Does anyone have a good guide on how to play defence? hat was one thing I really had issues with.
ThePointForward
Formerly Dommy73

Postby Andrew on Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:44 am

As far as I'm aware, they aren't pushing through new animations (or any other updates) for NBA Live 16 at this time, so it might be a by-product of slider adjustments.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby ThaLiveKing on Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:15 pm

Maybe

ThaLiveKing

Postby Dee4Three on Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:59 am

I went back and played NBA Live 16 last night for AWHILE. And here are my biggest gripes:

1. Button reactiveness: There is quite a bit of delay when I push and button and it happens in the game, this is not my TV (monitor), as it only seems to do it with this game. I also read some complaints from others who were having this same issue. Its not online LAG either, I was playing offline.

2. Dribbling moves: I like the combinations that can be completed, however, the moves are just not pronounced enough. Crossovers and behind the backs in real life are faster and the players dribble the ball out wider (Hold out wider for release, and catch out wider). The dribbling moves feel small (with lack of a better term) in scope, it doesn't really feel like you are beating anybody off the dribble, it looks like they are just there for show.

3. Animations: Wow, they are so herky jerky. Going into a jump shot on the move feels like NBA Live 2000, and actually Live 2000 may have felt better. It looks so unnatural. The post moves (hooks etc) look completely unnatural. Nothing I made felt good, it looked pretty damn bad. Also, the signature shots are WAY off for so many players. I like the dribbling up court animations for the most part, but otherwise I cringe.

4. Mode Depth: Horrible... can't even play a 2 player dynasty (franchise).

What I DO like:

1. Atmosphere: Great NBA arena atmosphere, more alive than 2k.

2. Lighting: Love the lighting on the players/court/crowd. It feels alive.

3. Presentation: No, Breen and Van Gundy are not perfect, but it feels like a legit ESPN broadcast. And I love the pre-game/post game and halftime. 2k could learn something here. I feel the presentation in live is much stronger.

For Live 18 to flourish, they HAVE to make the players move around better on the court, more realistic, and HAVE to give us an immersive multiplayer franchise mode. With gameplay like 16, it will just do horribly once again.

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:31 am

From the people who playtested The Drive to NBA Live/NBA Live 17/whatever, there are whispers that the dribbling and animations were really, really good, so that's promising. Roster editing and deeper modes are a must on top of that, though, especially now that they've foregone the Q1 release in favour of the fully-featured release in the Fall.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby ThaLiveKing on Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:53 am

Dee4Three wrote:I went back and played NBA Live 16 last night for AWHILE. And here are my biggest gripes:

1. Button reactiveness: There is quite a bit of delay when I push and button and it happens in the game, this is not my TV (monitor), as it only seems to do it with this game. I also read some complaints from others who were having this same issue. Its not online LAG either, I was playing offline.

2. Dribbling moves: I like the combinations that can be completed, however, the moves are just not pronounced enough. Crossovers and behind the backs in real life are faster and the players dribble the ball out wider (Hold out wider for release, and catch out wider). The dribbling moves feel small (with lack of a better term) in scope, it doesn't really feel like you are beating anybody off the dribble, it looks like they are just there for show.

3. Animations: Wow, they are so herky jerky. Going into a jump shot on the move feels like NBA Live 2000, and actually Live 2000 may have felt better. It looks so unnatural. The post moves (hooks etc) look completely unnatural. Nothing I made felt good, it looked pretty damn bad. Also, the signature shots are WAY off for so many players. I like the dribbling up court animations for the most part, but otherwise I cringe.

4. Mode Depth: Horrible... can't even play a 2 player dynasty (franchise).

What I DO like:

1. Atmosphere: Great NBA arena atmosphere, more alive than 2k.

2. Lighting: Love the lighting on the players/court/crowd. It feels alive.

3. Presentation: No, Breen and Van Gundy are not perfect, but it feels like a legit ESPN broadcast. And I love the pre-game/post game and halftime. 2k could learn something here. I feel the presentation in live is much stronger.

For Live 18 to flourish, they HAVE to make the players move around better on the court, more realistic, and HAVE to give us an immersive multiplayer franchise mode. With gameplay like 16, it will just do horribly once again.

the button reaction in the paint is way too slow, I hope the paint game is much more responsive in Live 18
ThaLiveKing

Postby Andrew on Thu Mar 02, 2017 2:20 pm

Interior defense also needs to be a lot better. Layups should be high percentage, but they're basically guaranteed buckets in NBA Live 16.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Patr1ck on Thu Mar 02, 2017 3:17 pm

Andrew wrote:Interior defense also needs to be a lot better. Layups should be high percentage, but they're basically guaranteed buckets in NBA Live 16.

Agreed. I think one of the issues that causes that is defense. The reaction time for adjusting defensively both on ball and through help defenders plays a part in contesting drives and layups. Nerfing percentage will just cause outrage over layups that should be gimmes. Deterring the ball handler on the drive to force a pass or attempt a tough shot should be the goal. It can lead to more of a flowing offense with kick outs as the ball handler starts to recognize where the help comes from.
Patr1ck
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Andrew on Thu Mar 02, 2017 3:37 pm

Physicality has to count. There are some decent physics in NBA Live 16, and hopefully they're even better with the Frostbite engine, but collisions simply don't impede offensive players as much as they should. Even though NBA 2K17 sometimes feels like it has too many missed layups, it's closer to reality than NBA Live 16, since the defense can adequately crowd the lane, forcing tough layup attempts and making it harder for players to waltz into the paint and dunk at will. Layups and dunks should be high percentage, but there should also be altered and deterred attempts, and more shots should be altered than blocked.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby ThePointForward on Thu Mar 02, 2017 7:46 pm

Wait, they switched from Ignite to Frostbite?
ThePointForward
Formerly Dommy73

Postby Andrew on Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:21 pm

That's the rumour. All other titles are switching, and it would make sense with the initial delay.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby StyxTx on Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:42 am

Andrew wrote:Interior defense also needs to be a lot better. Layups should be high percentage, but they're basically guaranteed buckets in NBA Live 16.

So true. As a SG I had a 73% shooting pct, and it was that low only cuz I would attempt a lot of 3-pointers when I wasn't going for layups. I rarely missed a layup. Inside shot % is ridiculous.
StyxTx

Postby StyxTx on Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:44 am

Andrew wrote:Physicality has to count. There are some decent physics in NBA Live 16, and hopefully they're even better with the Frostbite engine, but collisions simply don't impede offensive players as much as they should. Even though NBA 2K17 sometimes feels like it has too many missed layups, it's closer to reality than NBA Live 16, since the defense can adequately crowd the lane, forcing tough layup attempts and making it harder for players to waltz into the paint and dunk at will. Layups and dunks should be high percentage, but there should also be altered and deterred attempts, and more shots should be altered than blocked.

In 2k17 career, only the opposing defense does that. My teammates will stand there and watch someone go right to the basket without moving as much as an eyelash. But what can I expect from players who stand there and let rebounds from missed free throws hit them in the face.:roll:
StyxTx

Postby Andrew on Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:02 am

Oh yeah, that leaves something to be desired in NBA 2K17. But as it stands, it is possible to alter shots in the lane, even if it's rare to get adequate help from AI teammates.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

PreviousNext

Return to NBA Live 18