Lakers Thread

Like real basketball, as well as basketball video games? Talk about the NBA, NCAA, and other professional and amateur basketball leagues here.

Re: Lakers Thread

Postby air gordon on Fri Jan 27, 2017 4:10 am

Jackal wrote:
Russell won't be a super star I think, I think he can be a multiple all star though. I think Ingram is the only one that can really be a superstar. Russell has good court vision and has a nice shot/decent handles. I'm not sure he's best suited at being the PG in an offense and would like to see him play more of a SG role. Or at least run some more pick & roll, he's really playing within the offense which involves a lot of handoffs/playing off screens.

Fair enough. I thought Russell was playing very well before the knee injury. Even getting to the line. I don't see elite athleticism which sort of puts a cap on potential but his size is a plus at the pg position... even if he isn't a pure pg.

He's shown he was the right choice over okafor so far

Too early for Ingram. At least he's not redshirting his rookie year like Russell had to
Jump.
Scott Skiles answer to the question on how Eddy Curry can become a better rebounder
air gordon

Postby Jackal on Fri Jan 27, 2017 5:42 am

Yeah, definitely a better choice than Okafor. I've seen a couple of his games and he's basically Al Jefferson, I was expecting way too much from him based on draft reports.

I agree with that he (Russell) looked better/more aggressive pre-injury. He quit doing that "keep them on the hip then take the shot" move that was pretty effective for him too.

Russell has been a Ginobili/Harden-esque hybrid with his size/handles. Not exactly a PG but able to do it in spurts like them.

Ingram has a long ways to go, his shot mechanics are a bit whack. You see it on his free-throws too. He's got good vision and he plays smart. Especially for a 19 year old.

I'm most concerned about Randle's BBIQ. Didn't appreciate him actually arguing with Walton after being pulled. Man up man, you fucked up. Don't argue your coach over shit like that.
Jackal

Postby Jackal on Sun Feb 12, 2017 3:31 am

Where the heck did all the Laker fans go on this forum?

The way Zubac/Nance/Black have been playing this year the Mozgov signing keeps looking more and more terrible. Both the signings in fact look quite terrible at the moment.

Anyone expect any movement around the trade deadline? I'd be okay with them parting ways with Lou-Will, I'm sure he can help some playoff bound team in exchange for a pick. I'm sure no one in their right mind would want Mozgov/Deng.
Jackal

Postby dare on Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:15 am

I'm still lurking here. I don't expect any trade in the deadline , although if they can trade Lou and Mozgov for anything then I can already consider that a win.
dare
True kings have rings

Postby Bruce on Mon Feb 13, 2017 5:56 pm

Jackal wrote:Where the heck did all the Laker fans go on this forum?
/quote]

Either, waiting for the draft or crying in a dark corner somewhere.

dare wrote:I'm still lurking here. I don't expect any trade in the deadline , although if they can trade Lou and Mozgov for anything then I can already consider that a win.

I think Mozzy had a couple of OK games this season that would let the Lakers fool some contender that needs a big man in to absorbing his contract. Deng has been playing like he's past his prime, in fariness to him, I think he is not getting the same touches he is used to getting. This might make Deng's contract harder to sell off though.

Jackal wrote:
air gordon wrote:i understand it's fun to dream and have high hopes but.....what's the acceptable "floor" for these young guys? specifically ingram, randle, russell.

It's hard to say, you don't really want to compare them to players but hope for the best, I guess? I think(hope?) worst case scenario they could be like the following players:

Ingram - Otto Porter?
Randle - Antoine Walker? Julius' BBIQ is really lacking imo.
Russell - Kevin Martin with better handling?

worst case:
Ingram - austin daye
randle - ike diogu
russell - alvin williams, ricky davis (in terms of reputation)

best case:
ingram - KD, greek freak
randle - dray green, grandmama
russell - healthy brandon roy, derek anderson (I do not know if this is good or bad)
YEAH BOY!
Bruce

Postby Murat on Tue Feb 14, 2017 1:00 am

Bruce wrote:worst case:
Ingram - austin daye
randle - ike diogu

best case:
ingram - KD, greek freak
randle - dray green, grandmama
russell - healthy brandon roy, derek anderson (I do not know if this is good or bad)

worst case looks really worse, maybe we see Ingram in Euroleague? Lol Bennett plays right in euroleague. that randle comparison is scary

ingram and randle best cases look great. a healty and non jail-blazer derek anderson would do well
Murat
Contributor
Contributor

Postby [Q] on Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:30 am

Jackal wrote:Where the heck did all the Laker fans go on this forum?

The way Zubac/Nance/Black have been playing this year the Mozgov signing keeps looking more and more terrible. Both the signings in fact look quite terrible at the moment.

Anyone expect any movement around the trade deadline? I'd be okay with them parting ways with Lou-Will, I'm sure he can help some playoff bound team in exchange for a pick. I'm sure no one in their right mind would want Mozgov/Deng.

I think the signings were good especially for the start of the season because these youngins need veterans not named swaggy to teach them how to be professionals
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Bruce on Tue Feb 14, 2017 2:40 pm

Murat wrote: that randle comparison is scary

Diogu never played as much minutes as Randle has been getting, but check out the per 36 minutes.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/pla ... =dioguik01
YEAH BOY!
Bruce

Postby air gordon on Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:58 am

Bruce wrote:
worst case:
Ingram - austin daye
randle - ike diogu

the question was what's the acceptable "floor" for these guys. not worse case scenario.
Jump.
Scott Skiles answer to the question on how Eddy Curry can become a better rebounder
air gordon

Postby NovU on Wed Feb 15, 2017 2:39 pm

Seems to me Randle tries to be a point power forward little too often. I am thinking that's on Luke Walton's orders, because that's one area he really needs to develop as he really stinks at where he's naturally bad at. So far, result's been a mixed bag and I really dunno how far this experiment will last before the Lakers call it quits. A season? Maybe a couple? Honestly I think he's on a much shorter leash than other two Lakers projects.

What's really killing D'Angelo seems to be extremely poor shot selection (or perhaps lack of ability to create better shot opportunities). Thought playing under Kobe's guidance for a season would have helped him a bit in that department. His basketball IQ at the moment seems to be average at the best, therefore still remains a huge project.

Ingram's extremely dismal stats may be a big let down but I kinda like what I see from this kid. First, good and bad is that he is in a body of teenager, playing against best of the best in the world. He struggles to finish or create enough space to get a better look, hence poor %. Perhaps we can expect huge improvement if his body matures right. Good is that his passing instinct seems to be great and he has unselfish playing style like LBJ. And also he can get to the line at ease on penetration. Those are some quality assets to become a true star in this league. Now, the bad. He seems to be disengaged off the ball, walking around, stay frozen at one spot, doesn't try to make cut, meaning makes it tougher for teammates while making it easier for defense.

Overall, I might be stating the obvious but Ingram will most likely be the best player out of these 3 projects in 3 or 4 years.
THX TO DOPE-JAO FOR THE SPECIAL SIG! <3
Enjoy! <3 Jao
NovU
Crap, what am I going to brag about now?

Postby Jackal on Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:22 am

Q - They could've gotten veteran presence at a much cheaper rate, I think. The contracts look worse as the season progresses.

NovU - I agree with Ingram probably being the best of them all, you're right in regards to his body, he just needs to fill out I think to improve in a lot of areas. You also nailed it when saying he's a willing passer. Another plus of Ingram is that he's sound defensively, for a 19 year old kid to be one of the best defenders on the team already really makes me happy.

I think Walton makes Randle handle the ball as much as he does is to let him try and score in transition as much as possible, it's really toned down his bull in the china shop bullshit he did last year.

Randle, Russell and Clarkson are all terrible defensively though. Not even funny. Randle's weak ass picks piss me off too. Set a normal fucking screen. What's the point of setting a screen if you barely stand there long enough to absorb contact and it doesn't help your teammate at all?

So happy Junior is back, he is their best defensive player and he sets wicked screens. Wish he'd trust his shot more and consistently knock down the free throw line jumper they give him.

They have to be showcasing Lou-Will for a deadline trade. Then let Russell/Clarkson run wild, no reason Russell should be getting 23-25 minutes a game. He needs a fire lit under his ass too.

My complaints seem to come back to the same thing over and over again; effort. They are a young team and I don't understand why they seem so disengaged so often. There are nights where there is absolutely no fire in them, just going through the motions.
Jackal

Postby air gordon on Sat Feb 18, 2017 4:43 am

Hasn't Walton been playing the hot hand when it comes to the guards pt in the 4th? Makes sense to not have entitlement minutes
Jump.
air gordon

Postby Jackal on Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:58 am

air gordon wrote:Hasn't Walton been playing the hot hand when it comes to the guards pt in the 4th? Makes sense to not have entitlement minutes

100% agree with this. Still feels like Lou is being showcased though.

Stealth tank + Lou showcase is what my reaction was after the Kings game. They had 2 time outs left and a chance to set something up. No doubt Lou Will was hot all 4th but I think Walton was also fine not winning that game.
Jackal

Postby air gordon on Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:43 pm

so who's going to play when russell and or clark struggle? calderon?? that almost sounds like a byron scott move

i agree with the overpay for veteran experience. if not for noah's contract, those 2 contract the 2 vets signed would be up there as the worst
Jump.
air gordon

Postby Jackal on Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:27 pm

They play through their struggles. Scott would sit both Clarkson & Russell to play Ronnie fucking Price. Ensures the chances of them keeping the pick also this year.

Quite sad Kupchak was let go, I feel he was a good GM for the ball club. The last two contracts though - yeesh.

Rob Pelinka being named GM is something I have no opinion about yet, hear he's liked by other players and was Kobe's agent so let's see how that plays out.

Read some tidbits about Paul George wanting to play in LA, then again every big name agent has used LA as leverage the last few years. Glad Ingram wasn't traded for him though. Ingram & Russell (and Nance) are the only ones I wouldn't want LA to move yet.

Too bad Vivek didn't want Randle for Boogie. He's no Steph Curry/Klay Thompson hybrid alas.
Jackal

Postby Jackal on Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:56 pm

So...if we keep our pick this year, any of you have any direction/knowledge regarding the players? Fultz/Ball & Jackson seem to be the top 3 names floating around.
Jackal

Postby [Q] on Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:24 am

We don't really need another guard, but it would be cool to have the hometown kid Ball here

I've seen a video highlight on YouTube of Ball and his 2 brothers in high school nailing half court shots in game
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Jackal on Tue Feb 28, 2017 5:32 am

Another guard? We've basically got Russell and Clarkson? Clarkson is suited to be the 6th man long term imo.

Which other guard do you think LA will have moving forward?
Jackal

Postby [Q] on Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:55 am

I hate to see Clarkson pigeonholed into that 6th man role. I feel like he has the potential and desire for more.

Brandon Jennings was waived by new York. He would be a good pickup to see how he does with the youngsters

There's also no guarantee that Ball will leave. He might play it out and wait for his brothers to come to UCLA so they can all play together again

Is the pick top 3 protected again?
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Jackal on Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:34 am

They just traded Lou Will to get the youngins some playing time, no way Jennings is being brought on.

And why do you think that about Clarkson? I feel he's regressed since his rookie year. He's also atrocious on defense while being quite physically capable so I feel the 6th role is perfect for him. He's also 23-24 already, right. At least eldest of the bunch behind Jr.?

Yeah, have to get top 3, anything out of top 3 and the pick goes to Philly. :(
Jackal

Postby Sauru on Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:58 am

i mean. we dont need a point guard either but i will be pissed if we pass on Fultz
Sauru

Postby Bruce on Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:40 pm

exactly, it's like Portland passing on MJ because they had Clyde. Simple rule to take the best player when you are at the top of the draft. Then trade for pieces later.

Recently, near the trade deadline, Russel has been talking like, he is not untouchable blah blah blah. Man, he has not shown he can be a real star in the league. So by all means Lakers, draft another PG.
YEAH BOY!
Bruce

Postby Sauru on Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:11 pm

even if he was untouchable you draft the best player available and trade him as he would hold more value to other teams than the 3rd best player available. then again you can be like the magic and draft the best player available knowing you want the second best player and then trade with the 2 team so you get the player you actually want plus additional assets
Sauru

Postby [Q] on Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:57 pm

It's hard to judge Clarkson, but I feel that it was all really starting to click for him last year as a starter. he's now coming off the bench and getting less minutes, so I can't expect him to do better with less opportunities.

I forgot I first heard about the Ball brothers here
http://forums.nba-live.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=102883
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Sauru on Tue Feb 28, 2017 5:51 pm

the youngest has the worst fucking form. his shot looks so damn ugly. i mean it goes in so whatever but man is that shit ugly.
Sauru

PreviousNext

Return to NBA & Basketball