Beyond Frustrated with NBA 2k17 - Anybody??!

Talk about NBA 2K17 here.

Re: Beyond Frustrated with NBA 2k17 - Anybody??!

Postby StyxTx on Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:48 am

Andrew wrote:As noted, a lot of the frustration boils down to lapses in AI, and canned moments. Perfect example happened to me in a MyCAREER game:

phpBB [video]

.........However, not only will the issues get to me at times - especially legacy ones - but it bugs me that these issues never show up in "professional" reviews of the game. These issues never seem to be mentioned by IGN or anyone else, and they're the things that consumers need to know. When it comes to legacy issues in particular, they should be big factors in how a new title is reviewed and rated. Instead, the reviews and all-important (within the industry, at any rate) Metacritic scores are being handled by people who don't seem to pay attention to important details, or have a handle on what gamers need to know, to say nothing of what makes a great basketball game.

Or get paid for their 'impartial' reviews.
StyxTx

Postby StyxTx on Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:51 am

Dee4Three wrote:I'm considering making a video and uploading it to youtube called "The REAL NBA 2K17 Review", that will show and talk about all the game breaking stuff, but also some of the good stuff. Like an ACTUAL review. The IGN's of the world are part of the money making machine that is video games. They can't talk about such things in a "professional review" because they are part of the selling process, I truly believe that. The best reviews are from users with nothing to gain.

Players do not seem to interact with eachother, or the on court action appropriately. Point and case, your video where Jokic just stands there while the ball goes by him. It's the same when you make a pass to a player 10-15 ft from you, and the ball goes out of bound while the recipient flails like crazy for no reason. What Jokic did there, is what happens on defense as well, where the defender is just caught standing there, or moving very slow not reacting to anything, and the offensive player just gets a wide open shot or layup/dunk.

I like it when a pass or rebound hits a player in the head or face without them ever reacting as if they see anything, even after getting hit.
StyxTx

Postby StyxTx on Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:55 am

bigh0rt wrote:My experience is certainly miles from everyone else's, having just gotten the game yesterday and played about 40 game minutes of actual action. I'm months behind the "first impressions" thread, but since game play is being discussed here, I thought I'd chime in, and maybe even get some feedback.

Fouls seem to be more prominent as well, which is another nice thing. Even though they can make an Arcade-like video game experience feel poor, they are a big part of the NBA and thus, should be a big part of any NBA game that looks to simulate reality in any way. There were more fouls called, especially on the CPU, and they seemed to come at appropriate times.

I'm seeing quite a few fouls being whistled BEFORE any foul, if there really is one, occurs. Seen quite a few where, watching the replay, no foul ever occurred. Seen charging calls when someone runs into a defender who is moving or in the air. I get called for a foul when I am set to draw a charge, planted and waiting. But the AI can draw charges without stopping their movement.

I believe the foul calling in this version is remarkably worse than the previous 2 or 3 versions. I think it's dreadful. I have no idea why they changed fouling. It wasn't broken.
StyxTx

Postby Andrew on Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:50 am

There's definitely a problem with cheap charges, which sadly a lot of 2K Pro-Am players exploit. Even when you're not trying to exploit it, there seems to be a lot more charging foul calls that should be blocking fouls, or non-calls. Sliders can help, but only in modes where they're adjustable. At the same time, there are also cheap blocking fouls, canned reach-in fouls, and other weird calls. I guess that's realistic in a way, but for all our complaints about officiating in the NBA, it's not as bad as that, play-to-play.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby nextnba on Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:11 pm

When the AI breaks, it's awful. You notice it when you bring the ball up the court and the CPU is not waiting for you at the 3 point line but instead is sitting under the basketball. But sometimes the AI doesn't break and the games plays fine. I just don't why the AI keeps breaking. I'm so frustrated too!
nextnba

Postby hedop on Sat Feb 25, 2017 12:12 am

Tbh there is a lot more that sucks in this game. I know that the main issue is the gameplay itself. However that's an aspect of the whole game and if you really want to make a point you have to take the whole game into account which shows how truely shoddy the whole game has been produced.

It starts with really miniscule stuff:

1. The menu design is truely rubbish. Burrying the roster editor under option/features is truely stupid. Putting MyGM/MyLeague on one tab and forcing everyone to go through like 5 menus to get where you want to go is just maddening especially when you are, like me, someone who starts a lot of MyLeagues and MyGM's to try out rosters or certain setups.

2. Yes I know I need to update the game but can I not acknowledge that, finish playing my current game and then go back to the main menu without having the warning continuously displayed during the game? Also why do I have to go back? Why can't I select: sync game with upgrade or why isn't it enough to just finish the game and get back to the main screen of MyGM and MyLeague? Why do I actually have to choose a menu and then back out of it to get the update when I'm already on the main menu page???

3. Why is there still no proper roster editor? Why do I need an external program for it? I can't change age or birthday of legends without it, so it makes the ones they added (if they are on the older side) utterly useless for a longer MyGM or MyLeague run. Why can't I change exisiting playbooks and remove stupid plays so that they have no chance of being called? Why can't I create coaches, GM's and what not and am stuck with the rubbish they provide? Why can't I edit existing staff's rating without employing them first? Why can't I give players with unique cyberfaces headgear even though I can do exactly that in WWE 2k16 and WWE 2k17? Why (unless they are scared of lawsuits) can't we have a database for downloading teams or single players? Why are only the teams that are already in the game availabe for editing and not adding some? Why are single player players locked out of having access to the hundreds of legends that are apparently in the game but only for MyTeam? Why are there absolutely no name and city combinations available that the announcers will actually pronounce? Yeah you can name your team whatever, but none of the anouncers will say the name. So what use is it? Why is there no in game possibility to add new jerseys after a certain time? And why is there no editor option to do the same?

4. MyGM still carries the legacy issues it has had for years. The chemistry system isn't working so even a guy at the 12th spot in your rotation who gets 5 minutes a game will claiming a starting spot even though his position is held down by Klay Thompson and KD who both average 35 points a game? Why am I still accused of breaking my word for promising a player something, then doing it and then being accused of breaking my word 10 days later? Why does the trade finder still only find rubbish trades and any decent trade is restricted to you actually picking out players yourself and checking if the team that has the player would trade with you for him? Why are teams still willing to trade absolute core peaces of their teams for absolute rubbish. The Jazz have been trying to get rid of Gobert for 2 years now, usually the even throw in Favors and/or Hayward even though there is no implication that the team would ever do so in real life? Why are the Celtics constantly trying to offload Jae Crowder and Marcus Smart even though those players are starters and or high in the rotation and are regarded as untouchable for Boston? Why does my Team play in front of an empty building when I raise the ticket prices even though the concensus among fans is that it is a fair price and I have a 100% fan interest (I raised the price from when it was green to 5 dollars more expensive than green... wow what a raise) and why does that not change even when I win the whole league??? Why do I have to waist 10: Mind trick pitches on a 69 rated player to sign with me??? All those issues have been in place for ages. Also the injury bug to my knowledge has persisted from day one until now even though it was reported for ages.

5. In game: why of why can't I skip those stupic cutscnes right away??? The game is loaded and it says: press A to start game yet I still need to click and click again to get past that annoying pre-game show. Same goes for Halftime. I click and they skip like one line and then I need to click again and again for them to finally disappear. Why can't I switch it off at all? Why can't I skip timeout sequences and instead have to wait until the animation of them going to the bench is done? Why does the game not skip when I skip the commentators showing some ridiculous stat instead waiting for them to finish their lines and then waiting some more before the refs give the ball back? Is that soooo hard? Let me play and not waste time like the real NBA. Why on earth do I get foul calls on stuff where my player was like a metre apart from his counterpart? Why on earth do I constantly get shots drained into my face even though I'm like glue on that guy and have a hand in his face when he gets it off. It just drops in. Why does my manual controlled player attempt a steal even when I have defensive assisstant off and did not press a single button? Why does he attempt a steal after switching players when the press for the steal clearly came before I switched players?

6. Why is everything VC? What is VC for in MyGM? Why do I have to sit through cutscenes in MyCareer instead of skipping them? Why does it all have to be behind a paywall and so fucking expensive? Why do we need Archetypes in a day and age when it is precisely the unicorn player type who is the most sought after in the NBA: oversized point guard with handles, shooting and athleticism, small power forward or center with handles, passing, stroke and athleticism, massively tall powerforward or center with handles, footwork, passing, stroke and rimprotection, athletic, tall and longarmed wing with stroke and passing prowess, undersized two guard who can also run the point by virtue of being an athletic freak with a Steph Curry stroke. It's like playing in the 60's, 70's and 80's with this game. So you can either be Jerry West or Bob Cousy or Pistol Pete or Oscar but god forbid you wanna be Jason Kidd or Gary Payton or even better CP3 or Magic, Elgin Baylor or Larry Bird or Chris Mullin but god forbid you wanna be BronBron or the Greek Freak, Moses or Russell or Wilt but god forbid you wanna be Bill Laimbeer or KAT but you can be the Mailman or the Worm or Sir Charles but god forbid you wanna be Kristaps, C-Webb or Draymond. It's just stupid.

Yes in there own way all those players were unicorn too but that was 30 or 40 years ago. In today's NBA unless you have some type of offensive game AND Defense you are basically dead meat at Center unless your point guard is CP3. How many straight up defense centers have a starting job in the NBA with no offensive tools? The same goes for post scorers. That is seriously an archetype? Those guys claim they know about basketball because Scott "OG" was such an "OG" that he actually played basketball before he became an "OG" yet none of them seem to ever have read a single article about basketball or listened to a podcast. The straight up no defense post game center is absolutely dead which is why Sam Hinkie lost his job over drafting Okafor and not getting rid of him and that is why Milwaukee is shopping Greg Monroe like crazy. What about glass cleaner? That used to be a thing when Moses Malone was a young man without goggles and when Charles Barkley still had a moustache. That archetype is dead and buried. If you want to stick around a decent team you are EXPECTED to clean the glass. Haven't they noticed that the rebounding numbers get gaudier every season? AD, Draymond, Boogie, Drummond, Kristaps, Noel, Embiid etc. all the good big man basically throw 15 or 20 rebound games at each others head every week and even guys like Russel Westbrook and Harden regulary grab 10 rebounds a night while an unathletic guy like Curry still grabs like 4 or 5. How on earth can that be an archetype then. What you gonna grab 80 rebounds a game? And again: nearly no offensive game to speak off. Unheard of in the NBA today. Either you have to be extremely skilled in the low post or you have to at least have good hands to pass the ball on. Also Dirk's time is over. No one with a right mind takes a big man who can just shoot and nothing else anymore because the other teams will simply play you small and crush that big and slow dude with no defensive skills. It's also very rare to have guys who can only shoot that size. Enes Kanter can shoot but he can also put the moves on you in the post and fuck you up from the midrange. Same goes for Milsap, Horford, Porzingis, Love (who loves post play and rebounding) and others. It simply isn't an archetype anymore. So this whole system stinks and you have to waste VC on it and you have to sit through hours of cut scenes and practice for hours to get your free throw shot rating up....

Like I said. There is so much rubbish in that game from the ground up design wise that it is hard to say: it's the gameplay that makes this game suck. Yeah bodytypes suck and so do still not updated cyberfaces (check Bill Laimbeer ;)) and a lot of ingame stuff sucks but the whole product is shoddy so it's no wonder that the core of the whole game is rubbish too.
hedop

Postby Dee4Three on Sat Feb 25, 2017 12:41 am

If the gameplay is right, everything you have stated otherwise I can handle. If the game plays great, we all have a solid experience.

Too many game breaking issues that interrupt the flow, and determine outcomes.
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Check out my YouTube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvHJXrqit8Dc6HBY5P6EmAA

Follow me on Twitter

https://twitter.com/Dee4Three84
Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby hedop on Sat Feb 25, 2017 2:19 am

Dee4Three wrote:If the gameplay is right, everything you have stated otherwise I can handle. If the game plays great, we all have a solid experience.

Too many game breaking issues that interrupt the flow, and determine outcomes.

Not in my opinion. This way I can simply put it down to the game being simply shoddy and badly designed and developed. If the gameplay was great and the other stuff still garbage I would be on the fence either thinking "damn, how can they make a great game but neglect everything else?" or " man if they can improve on that I'm going to buy the next installment." That's the problem here. Everybody is like: you if we fix defense this game will be alright, yo if we fix archetypes this game will be alright etc. This is the point were you have to say: yo this is all garbage and just a cash grab. It's blatantly obvious now as it's all shoddy. In years before you could always rescue yourself or at least your opinion of the game by saying: alright MyGM/Association is garbage in the management aspect but the gameplay itself is fun so I'm going to keep playing or you could say: Man MyCareer is a load of rubbish with a racist story but at least there is playnow and MyGM.

This is simply the point where I have to say: fuck it. It's simply a garbage game. It came out broken in loads of aspects but that was accepted by you and others on the premise that at least the gameplay was decent. Now even that has been absolutely gone to shit so now you start complaining. I have been saying all along that the game is garbage for the reasons I listed, so the gameplay sucking is just the last straw to me. That's the problem here, you and others on the OS forum basically ignore stuff we wouldn't ignore in any other game genre. We give them a pass for legacy issues that have plagued the series as far back as 2k12 and yet we pay 50 bucks every year for the same rubbish. That to me is getting really annoying and tiresome especially after being a mistreated PC gamer for ages. We never got the patch that fixed 2k12, we never got the patch that fixed 2k13, we got a old gen version of 2k14 with patches coming weeks and months after and the list goes on. I'm sick and tired of this rubbish. This is not a DLC but a full prized game. If they did it as a DLC I would accept certain legacy issues and other things. Not when it's as much as the Witcher 3 including the season pass. On top of that it's a fucking sports game. No need for quest design, no open world design, no dialogue needs to be written, no real choices have to be taken into account, nothing. All you need to do is improve the gameplay, make sure your players look like their real life counterpart and after years finally make sure that not every randomly created white guy looks like a caveman or looks the same, same as not every randomly created black guy looks the same.

Why do draft classes have to be randomly created anyway? Why can't 2k provide 10-20 designed draft classes with guys who actually look like real people, with proper names, tendencies and stats (not their college counterparts). Why are there no 2k provided legends draft classes where you get to have a Charles Barkley with 320 pounds, hair and a moustache and a rail thin Michael Jordan with hair? How hard can it be? Why do we have to have a stupid mobile app that takes ages to take a good picture to get our face in the game? Why not do what WWE 2k16 and 17 do and use a photo?

All that is small stuff but it piles up when it's all rubbish and, like I said earlier, can be ignored at your convenience when at least the gameplay is decent. That is the reason why everything is rubbish in the first place because we ignored and glossed over legacy issues and lazy developement for 5-6 years now. That is how long some legacy issues have been carried around. Funny enough they left the good ideas, like no VC and proper tendencies and animations for legends, in the old time, along with 2k11. That is just such a shame. Looking back now 2k11 is actually what we should expect from a company of 2k's size nowadays. You had a good soundtrack, unlike the last couple of years, you had a massive legends roster with the great added bonus of accurate animations for a lot of the players, for the time good cyberfaces and bodies and the presentation option of playing a grainy black and white game without the three point line, unlike the last couple of years. You could make your player what you wanted him to be. There was no attribute cap, there was a proper rookie showcase, there was summer training and summer league, every animation was available from the start, you could pick your own nickname and the only thing hindering you from making your player into a 7'5 michael Jordan was skill points. I think the only 2k that did Career Mode any better was 2k12, unfortunately bugged, which introduced the "badges" althought they were limited. Unlike the last couple of years. The production was sophisticated, nearly bugfree and it worked and still works on every system like a charm. No lags no stuttering audio, no naked player glitches, no nothing. So how is it that in 2017: yeah let's get the core aspect right, is good enough for 50 bucks? How is it that nearly everyone is happy to shell out 50 bucks for this game when the same game had more options, less emphasis on draining money from customers, less bugs, better gameplay, a better editor, better legends settings and was more open when it came to creating your player, nearly 7 years ago?

PS: By the way I agree 2k15 in my opinion was probably the best in terms of looks/gameplay. The players looked good and the bodies did fit but more importantly defense was working well and the teams ran the sets you chose or the coach chose really well. Yes of course, less bumping and all a bit too smooth sometimes, but less rubbish then what we have now. I can still remember using the Triangle in 2k15 and it was a blast to run that thing so smoothly with a Roster designed for it. Nowadays it runs like garbage and because it relies on players not getting stuck all the time and being bumped out of their position you can put it in the garbage because before you even set up it's all gone to hell.
hedop

Postby Dee4Three on Sat Feb 25, 2017 2:45 am

No, I accepted it because the interface to me was fine. I don't have an issue with the interface. The skinny body types are horrible, but the on court action flowed at a more realistic pace. Mode wise, the game is strong. I like the modes, I like the options within the modes, all of that. The tuning updates and patches hurt the gameplay in a big way, and in my opinion broke the game. Again, I don't see how the developers can make these changes and think they help the realism. The game feels clunky and crappy for the most part now.

One mode I think could use much improvement is MYTEAM. For one thing, MAKING everybody play on all star level is not right. People have different skill levels on the game, all star is REALLY easy. And combine it being easy, with the game glitches, I can literally dribble all the way up court on an inbounds and get an open dunk (because players just move out of the way). Also, I average like 15-20 steals per game (Last game I had 9 steals with Will Barton, and 5 with Mo Williams...) in 6 minutes quarters. How is that fun for anybody? We should be allowed to choose the level we play MyTeam on. Its far too easy.

Also, we should be allowed to play MyTeam with a second player. As in, If I want to complete the mode with someone else locally, they should be able to select my side on some form of a team select screen. That would make the mode much more enjoyable for those who don't want to just sit in the dark and play it by themselves.

In regards to MyLeague, I love the way they do it, I have no issues. The mode itself is great. But the on court gameplay ruins it for me.
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby hedop on Sat Feb 25, 2017 3:33 am

Well that's about half the stuff I adressed. But fine, if you don't play MyGM you don't mind VC or any of the problems with injuries or the chemistry system or other realism issues I adressed. Since you are a modder you don't care about a proper in game editor or an option to import one team or one player or predesigned and properly implemented 2k draft classes. Since you play MyTeam you prefer online gaming anyway, so any offline mode won't really matter to you and since you don't mention MyCareer it seems you don't play that either so it doesn't matter to you. However: Please don't give me the "mode's are fine and plenty" bs if you only play 2 of them really. It's fine if the modes you play are great however for a lot of other players MyGM and MyCareer matter and they suck because of the design decisions. VC, VC, VC, legacy issues, not preventing cheaters, locking people into archetypes, broken chemistry, stupid trades, limited editor, rubbish random player faces (have you checked the cyberface of Jacob Poeltl???).

Those things matter to me because I use those mods and I would enjoy being able to edit rosters properly myself without a second party tool and in depth modding knowledge. I'd like to play MyGM without some fake internet currency and with a properly working chemistry system and being able to trade properly. I would like to play MyCareer without grinding for hundreds of hours to have a decent player and without having to buy everything. I would like to play MyPark without cheaters. I could go on and on but please don't pretend like the game is so great if the gameplay was any better. The game is crap and the devs have gotten lazy. One of the reasons is that everybody is in awe of those devs and reveres them on OS and Twitter and obviously the other reason is lack of competition... I can only point to FIFA pre PES6.
hedop

Postby Dee4Three on Sat Feb 25, 2017 4:52 am

I'm trying guys. Over 100 likes in about an hour. Top comment on one of the most recent NBA 2k Facebook posts.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:25 am

Dee4Three wrote:Also, we should be allowed to play MyTeam with a second player. As in, If I want to complete the mode with someone else locally, they should be able to select my side on some form of a team select screen. That would make the mode much more enjoyable for those who don't want to just sit in the dark and play it by themselves.

I'd like that. I suppose it's mostly about online competition and co-op these days, but that'd be a nice throwback option to have in some of the modes, particularly MyTEAM.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Uncle Drew on Sun Feb 26, 2017 3:32 am

Dee4Three wrote:I'm trying guys. Over 100 likes in about an hour. Top comment on one of the most recent NBA 2k Facebook posts.

Appreciate the effort Dee4Three, but do you really think any of the Devs are listening? These problems have been on going since 2K15. They've had enough time to correct them. If they don't make any MAJOR improvements in 18, I'm going to have to put this series to bed.....
Uncle Drew

Postby StyxTx on Sun Feb 26, 2017 6:55 am

Uncle Drew wrote:
Dee4Three wrote:I'm trying guys. Over 100 likes in about an hour. Top comment on one of the most recent NBA 2k Facebook posts.

Appreciate the effort Dee4Three, but do you really think any of the Devs are listening? These problems have been on going since 2K15. They've had enough time to correct them. If they don't make any MAJOR improvements in 18, I'm going to have to put this series to bed.....

More than likely they don't know how to correct them.
StyxTx

Postby Dee4Three on Sun Feb 26, 2017 11:04 am

It's close to 300 likes now.

Giving up is the wrong attitude. We need to give this feedback.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby Uncle Drew on Mon Feb 27, 2017 4:52 am

Dee4Three wrote:It's close to 300 likes now.

Giving up is the wrong attitude. We need to give this feedback.

Nobody is giving up, but they're not listening either.
Uncle Drew

Postby diamenz on Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:27 am

been overly frustrated with it too, dee and haven't touched it in two months. my biggest gripes are the interior defense, non-existent perimeter rotations off of stupid doubles, and the fast break logic. 2k has gone downhill in all three of these aspects over the years, and i don't get why. i believe part of it is the direction that they're taking with the series with the online features and vc. it's obviously the main concern because it's what brings them the money (can't blame them i guess). i think the online tweaks and patches hurt the offline gameplay. players are clunky and weighted for a reason - to stop cheese. there's always going to be cheese and exploits, so they should just let it go. i'm not all negative though - the last couple of years have had some great strides but it's been overshadowed by it's legacy issues and fundamental problems.

what us sim players want is a solid working fundamental basketball game. one that rivals well made titles like counter strike, rocket league and assetto corsa just to give a few examples. assetto corsa is a great example because of what it strives for - strictly simulation for simulation players. the other two are just well developed and fine tuned games. i understand it's incredible complex to dev a basketball game, but the constant addition of new features that are half assed and not finished doesn't help. new defensive features without a solid base to work with? a layup meter that doesn't coincide with hand release? couple all of that with the legacy issues and you have a very frustrating game. and what hurts the most is the yearly release. it's especially a let down for people like you that not only want to play the game, but have spent so much time modding it.

unfortunately i doubt thing will change, although i do believe defense, and fast break logic will be addressed next year... the question is how well it will be done.
diamenz

Postby Dee4Three on Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:07 am

I agree.

It's not even that it needs to be a perfect simulation, it doesn't. What it does need to have is flow and pace that is not interrupted ALL THE TIME by glitches in the game (speed breaks, broken defense, etc). Everything I stated in the first post, and more, are all pace disturbances. Of course they are going to make decisions around the money maker (Online), but what about the integrity of offline play? What about the integrity of ANY 5 on 5 game played whether it be online or offline? What about ALL the other modes offline? All of these problems with the game drastically impact MyTeam, MyLeague, My Career, Play Now, Online play now, etc.

The reason NBA 2K14 Next Gen was so much better gameplay wise than the last 3 years of NBA 2k games is the pace and flow. Yes, the offensive rebounding was still a little overpowering, but overall the game played right. The players moved around the court like athletes, it didn't have any of the issues I mentioned in the first post. It wasn't perfect, but you can just tell by the user feedback on videos and forums that NBA 2K14 was legit a great game. In fact, the only complaints I ever really saw were the game modes and server complaints.

I feel like the whole online play thing has destroyed games, because the minute the developers hear of complaints about online "cheese" or play, they SLOW the game down dramatically in order to appease the money maker modes. The game becomes unrealistic, it because slow, players are clunky and move like they are in quicksand, the post game gets ruined (Spins and body contact are unrealistic and horrible), etc.

I really wish I could have NBA 2K14 next gen for PC, with the MYLEAGUE mode, I would die to have that. I would never have made the switch to the broken gameplay of the 3 games that followed.

It's also disheartening when a user like myself doesn't get responded to. (Going back to just 2k14 I've logged well over 8000 hours in these games, but if you go back to NBA Fastbreak 98... you wouldn't believe how many hours). I am as loyal as they come, and have helped sell these games the last 4 years (People PM me stating they bought the game for my mods and because of my excitement about games in the past). I posted something on Facebook (See above), that reached about 300 likes, around 70 comments on my post with people complaining about the same things, and silence.

I tweeted them, I did it on Facebook, nothing. I can't win.

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:44 am

Dee4Three wrote:I feel like the whole online play thing has destroyed games, because the minute the developers hear of complaints about online "cheese" or play, they SLOW the game down dramatically in order to appease the money maker modes. The game becomes unrealistic, it because slow, players are clunky and move like they are in quicksand, the post game gets ruined (Spins and body contact are unrealistic and horrible), etc.

Even more frustrating, said tweaks haven't really addressed and resolved the online cheese at all. So yeah, no one's benefiting from it.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Dee4Three on Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:47 am

Andrew wrote:
Dee4Three wrote:I feel like the whole online play thing has destroyed games, because the minute the developers hear of complaints about online "cheese" or play, they SLOW the game down dramatically in order to appease the money maker modes. The game becomes unrealistic, it because slow, players are clunky and move like they are in quicksand, the post game gets ruined (Spins and body contact are unrealistic and horrible), etc.

Even more frustrating, said tweaks haven't really addressed and resolved the online cheese at all. So yeah, no one's benefiting from it.

And I like your feedback Andrew, because I don't play online, so I get that feedback from you and others on here. I look back at the NBA 2K14 GAMEPLAY feedback, and it is so much better overall. Can you agree with that?

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:18 am

I have to admit that I didn't really like NBA 2K14 on PC or PS4, so I didn't end up playing too much of it. I might have to go back and reevaluate, though.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby StyxTx on Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:39 am

Has a recent "update" changed this?

Recently I was playing a game and had my man set a pick. I attempted to break for the basket but my player would only walk. I couldn't get him to run to save my life.

I've also seen a lot of times recently where I try to run but my player doesn't move at all for a couple seconds.

I don't recall these happening previously. I play on PC.

And what is it with my own teammates constantly knocking me off a play when I finally am playing good defense against someone? My teammates set much better picks against me than opponents do.

Of course it results in me getting blamed for a defensive breakdown.
StyxTx

Postby Andrew on Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:50 am

Haven't noticed any difference in movement/responsiveness in MyCAREER or 2K Pro-Am lately myself.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Dee4Three on Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:16 pm

I just don't know how they make the game WORSE and somehow it's acceptable....

Ugh

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:26 pm

To be fair, there have been improvements these past few years in certain areas. Unfortunately, other areas seem to have taken a step backwards, have gone in the wrong direction, or simply remain problematic. It's also worth noting that if making a flawless (or near enough) basketball video game and resolving every single issue was easy, it would have been accomplished by now. Expectations are high these days, getting everything to work as intended is easier said than done, and what they do manage to accomplish is done within a year of development time.

That being said...the issues are still frustrating, and it's also disheartening when you see some of the developers openly mocking gamers who are being critical. Granted, people who are being jerks about it do kind of deserve to have some of that thrown back in their face, but I've seen ultimately constructive feedback that's been expressed in a somewhat exasperated tone - mostly because of recurring issues, and a feeling that complaints aren't being listened to - met with LOLs and other dismissive responses.

Again, some of that may be due with having to deal with jerks on social media, and there's obviously only so much that developers are allowed to say at any given time. Still, it's not a good way to treat a loyal fanbase that has some legitimate complaints. At the end of the day, 2K's PR is kind of really shoddy.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

PreviousNext

Return to NBA 2K17