All-Star Weekend 2017

Like real basketball, as well as basketball video games? Talk about the NBA, NCAA, and other professional and amateur basketball leagues here.

Re: All-Star Weekend 2017

Postby zzcoolj21 on Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:48 pm

You guys can spend time not enjoying things, but enjoying something is a lot more fun.
zzcoolj21
20% on Good release machine, The NLSC's Jr Smith

Postby Andrew on Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:00 pm

zzcoolj21 wrote:You guys can spend time not enjoying things, but enjoying something is a lot more fun.

Wow, man. Your original post was pretty damn condescending, but...wow.

The reason we're disappointed is because we want to enjoy the All-Star Game, but for the reasons we've discussed, we didn't.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby Sauru on Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:11 pm

zzcoolj21 wrote:You guys can spend time not enjoying things, but enjoying something is a lot more fun.

maybe you have not followed the conversation? i have mentioned i would enjoy some defense so i enjoy most games all season long. i used to enjoy the all star game also when the players actually gave a damn. after all your posts i am starting to think you are just a kid and because of that we will probably not agree on most things
Sauru

Postby zzcoolj21 on Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:13 pm

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

If enjoying plays like this makes my comments condescending, I am perfectly fine with it. Enjoy these moments. We are in an era of these great athletes and this is their stage.
zzcoolj21

Postby Andrew on Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:55 pm

Of course enjoying those plays doesn't make your comments condescending, nor does expressing that view. On the other hand, essentially telling us that we should just shut up and enjoy them, and that our preferences are wrong and that we're stuffily trying not to enjoy anything...well, there's certainly some condescension in doing that.

Like I said, for you and anyone else who does enjoy the current style of All-Star Games, by all means enjoy it. I wouldn't condescend to insist that you don't, and I do understand your reasons for enjoying it. I honestly wish that I could enjoy it, because of how much I've loved All-Star Weekend in the past, and would like to be entertained by it in the future. However, there have been certain changes to the game, and personally, I'm not a fan of them. As such, I don't find myself enjoying the game as I did up until quite recently. It's disappointing and I wish it were otherwise, but ultimately it's OK that I feel that way. It's also OK that you don't share my opinion. It's something we'll ultimately have to agree to disagree upon. Sauru and I may be disappointed, but you and others certainly don't have to be if that's not how you feel. We're expressing our reactions and explaining why we feel that way, not telling people what they must think.

If people like Sauru and myself take the All-Star Game too seriously, it's because the league and the players used to take it more seriously, and that's what we've come to expect. It's the meaning it's always had for us, because that's how it was presented to us. Maybe that makes us out of touch dinosaurs, but that's the way it is. Once again, I draw comparisons to feeling that your favourite TV show has jumped the shark, or that the last few albums by your favourite band have been kind of lame compared to their first few. Just because you're a passionate fan doesn't mean you must enjoy everything without question or critical thought; when there's been some sort of noteworthy change, it may no longer have the same appeal, and you may find it difficult to get on board. That's OK...and again, it's OK if others don't feel the same way you do, and they still enjoy it just as much, or even more.

The thing is, if you do reach a point where something you used to enjoy isn't as enjoyable anymore, you have to decide whether you're going to try and accept it for what it's become and still try to find enjoyment in it, or just not partake of it anymore. After a few years of feeling this way about the All-Star game, I think I'm definitely at that crossroads now. Because I have been such a fan of the event, that does bum me out a little, but it's what I'll need to decide moving forward.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby zzcoolj21 on Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:45 pm

I apologize if it came of that way but that wasn't the intent. Ill try to word it better.

I realize it hasn't exactly been a defensive master class. It hasn't been very intense. It's probably not the easiest to sit through as its a longer version of all star weekend events. But calling it "shit" is a little bit disrespectful to these athletes who are doing these incredible things they wouldn't think of doing in a regular game. Watching Cavs games seeing LeBron yell at everyone and not really enjoy the moment isn't fun at all. In fact, I resent watching my favorite teams games because it looks like no one is enjoying getting paid millions of dollars to play a children's game.

Then the all-star game happens. Everyone's laughing, everyone's taking these crazy shots and throwing these crazy lobs. They actually seem like they realize it's all a game. It means nothing at the end of the day.

It's a nice break from the gloom and doom of the regular season and the extreme intensity of the playoffs. That's why I like it how its played currently.
zzcoolj21

Postby Andrew on Mon Feb 20, 2017 5:05 pm

I hear you, and totally understand how that's enjoyable. I don't entirely disagree, because that's long been a part of the All-Star Game, and it certainly made it fun. For me, it's just drifted a little too far from being competitive. Like I said, it used to be taken and treated more seriously. I found I enjoyed the highlights a little more when the defense was putting up a bit more of a fight; not Playoff levels or anything, just a few notches above matador.

It also seemed like they played more like a team of stars, where it's now a bunch of stars out there doing their individual thing, especially the quick trigger threes. Previous games used to show off some great basketball that was still very fancy, but did have some fun, lighthearted moments every now and again.

Anyway, things change, some people will like it, others won't. It may be that I'm better off checking out the highlight reels afterwards, rather than watching the game unfold in full. It's just disappointing that something I used to really enjoy doesn't resonate with me the way that it used to, but that's the way it goes sometimes. I do stand by the assertion that the scoring records aren't quite as impressive now that defense is really an afterthought, but I guess legacies are made in June, not February.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby debiler on Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:57 pm

Andrew and Sauru, you are not alone. I guess it's really got something to do with the NBA we grew up with and that we learned to love and idolize. I think if back then somebody would have eased up on defense too much or even took a really dumb three-pointer, Jordan, Bird or Isiah would have eaten that guy alive. They still had fun, though. I remember Michael and Magic joking and talking all the time, but when the game was on, they competed. And they didn't try to force a highlight out of every single play. Really, what's more exciting? When somebody makes a highly contested, artistic layup with two bodies on him or when a guy throws down with nobody near him for the 10th time in a row? In 2001, we had one of the greatest allstar game finishes of all time, with an unbelievable comeback led by Iverson and Marbury. That's when it turned into a contest, because those guys were trying to win. In 2002, T-Mac pulled off the amazing off the backboard self-alley-oop (in traffic, by the way) and everybody was stunned. In 2003, nobody could remain in their seat when MJ hit the heavily contested go-ahead over one of the greatest defenders of that time, Shawn Marion.

We don't get stuff like that anymore, nothing is as memorable, because it doesn't matter. Because anybody is allowed to score whenever the hell they want. I can't understand the players. Is this what they want? It seems totally disrespectful to the game and to the fans. And to the legends who made the game popular all over the world.

Here are some 'stats':
There were 8 (!!!) free-throw attempts in a game that approached 400 total points scored.
There were two (!!!) blocks total.
And it had 122 (!!!!!!!!!!) three-point attempts.

I'm sorry, but that's not basketball anymore. If I wanna watch a shootaround, I'll go and watch a shootaround.

One more thing: If I had actually watched the game (and not just the 'highlights' which actually almost put me to sleep), I'd be royally pissed. Paying good money and staying up until 4.30 am for a farce like this is just unacceptable.

I'm not saying that people shouldn't or are wrong to enjoy it, because there seem to be some who do. But I can't find one single reason why.
Confucius say: "Man go to bed with itchy butt wake up with smelly finger."
debiler

Postby big-shot-ROB on Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:31 pm

Another waste of a "stay awake until 4.30 am" night.
big-shot-ROB
Robert Horry is better than MJ, because everybody knows that 7>6.

Postby mp3 on Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:12 pm

Defence........... Defence........ Defence...........

I know the game doesn't mean anything but why for the love of god just play a little so we can Finally see who the better team is each year.
Youtube - mp3 Basketball Gaming
mp3

Postby I Hate Mondays on Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:58 am

My respects for the Greak Freak. He was the only one playing like this game is supposed to be played. Hustle and D all the way, while still making amazing offensive plays. That's what I want to see in an allstar game, the perfect combination of both.
I Hate Mondays

Postby Leander on Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:07 am

zzcoolj21 wrote:You all take this game way too serious. It's a showcase not a competition. Stop trying to make it game 7 and enjoy it.

A showcase of what? An all star event should represent a sport and show the best and most competitive players...and what's possible. Just imagine musicians of Queen, AC/DC, Rolling Stones...what would you love? A 2 hours concert with great songs...but not "let's watch them tune their instruments or every one plays a solo for 10 seconds, then stops and then they just chat and laugh".

Anthony Davis with 50 points, great. 39 shot attempts? Greeeeeat. All records of the past completely useless. No skill involved. Just let the home court player dunk all the time and nobody defends and there's your MVP.

Just have a soccer all stars match and the goalkeepers just relax on the sideline...then just shoot the ball from 50 meters and celebrate and the rest of the players just sits down and talks and laughs.

In the 90s basketball was not that popular in Europe...at least in some countries. The all star event was used to represent basketball and get new fans..."hey, let's watch the game" and people with no knowledge of basketball joined and started to like it...with the best of the best competing... but now the game is a joke and does not represent it the sport anymore.
Leander

Postby mp3 on Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:30 am

Totally agree.

The allstar games I watched in the 90's were far more competitive and I haven't really enjoyed watching one since A.I and Marbury lead the comeback victory.

I know Curry was mocking the "iam not getting dunked on again" but that to me pretty much sums up the allstar D
mp3

Postby air gordon on Tue Feb 21, 2017 5:49 am

Sadly this is the best of the all star games of the big professional sports... at least in America

This all star game has turned into a corporate event since how long ago

So... how to fix the event then??? The NBA season is already too long. How can you get the players to give more effort?? Go the baseball route and give home court advantage for the NBA finals to the winner? Pay more $ to the players? Change the date of the game??

Shorten the game? Pay $ to the team with the higher score at the end of each quarter!?
Jump.
Scott Skiles answer to the question on how Eddy Curry can become a better rebounder
air gordon

Postby Andrew on Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:22 am

Steve Kerr suggested donations to the charities of the individual players' choices, should they win. Financial incentive - either for the players or directly to a nominated charity - seems like the most logical option.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby air gordon on Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:50 am

perhaps logical but i don't think that this is going to make the players give more effort.

and with so much money invested in the star players, i can't see the owners or the player union reforming the all start game to make them play hard.

guess we're just stuck with voicing our displeasure through social media and message boards
Jump.
Scott Skiles answer to the question on how Eddy Curry can become a better rebounder
air gordon

Postby Sauru on Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:46 pm

its just the player mentality we have in todays game. pride was enough in the 90's.
Sauru

Postby Lean on Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:12 pm

Last All-Star Game that I thought was competitive enough is the one in 2003, Jordan's last All-Star Game. I didn't bother watching the game, and just watched some of the highlights. Giannis seem to take the game seriously, and from what I heard, Kawhi as well. Curry going face down the court as Giannis goes for another dunk on him was too much for me. I know it's now an exhibition, but COME ON, make it feel like there's at least a hint of defense in there. Wasn't a fan of the final score either. As Andrew said, all the current All-Star Game records being broken is cheapened by the fact they just jack up threes and not play defense.

As for the Saturday Night events, man that was awful. The dunk contest was a snoozefest, and the crowd wasn't into it (and understandably so).
Lean
The Artist Formerly Known as Crappystuff
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:28 pm

Scott Van Pelt's take was awesome, and very well put.

phpBB [video]

I know it's breaking it out twice in one week, but I have to do it. His summation was brilliant.

Extra points for The Simpsons reference, too.

Stephen A. Smith's take was actually pretty good too, and he echoed the charity suggestion.

phpBB [video]
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby Sauru on Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:20 pm

Lean wrote:Last All-Star Game that I thought was competitive enough is the one in 2003, Jordan's last All-Star Game. I didn't bother watching the game, and just watched some of the highlights. Giannis seem to take the game seriously, and from what I heard, Kawhi as well. Curry going face down the court as Giannis goes for another dunk on him was too much for me. I know it's now an exhibition, but COME ON, make it feel like there's at least a hint of defense in there. Wasn't a fan of the final score either. As Andrew said, all the current All-Star Game records being broken is cheapened by the fact they just jack up threes and not play defense.

As for the Saturday Night events, man that was awful. The dunk contest was a snoozefest, and the crowd wasn't into it (and understandably so).

you know the curry laying down thing i could have over looked if people played defense the rest of the game. i would have just laughed it off. however he played better D laying down than most people did all night standing up

honestly this all star weekend the celebrity game was the best part of it for me.................
Sauru

Postby ThePointForward on Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:41 pm

Yup, pretty much no defence at all. Antetokounmpo was actually the bright exception there.

Some of the plays, yeah why not, they were nice and/or funny and if they happened once or twice in the game... Like I said, why not. Like the LeBron shot from the logo - I thought it was nice, just something you actually don't see him do ever. Steph going down on the floor would be very funny moment if the players were actually playing defence in that game. To be fair to him, he had no business trying to stop him, because I'm pretty sure that Antetokounmpo would simply dunk over him, probably jumping over him completely.

But remember when LeBron actually tried to chase down Kobe? Now tell me that wasn't fun to watch - Kobe actually dunked even through block attempt from behind, but if LeBron managed to actually block the shot it would be at least as good.

BTW, both team had 1 block. There was a lot of steals, but that was pretty expected due to attempts for flashy passes etc.
ThePointForward
Formerly Dommy73

Postby Andrew on Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:50 pm

It goes back to what I said before. If everyone's standing back and letting highlights be manufactured, they feel less special and exciting. If no one's taking it seriously, the lighthearted moments don't really stand out as amusing, like they might normally do.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby mp3 on Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:12 pm

The allstar itself just looked like a bad game of 2k where both players are smashing the ally oop button.
mp3

Postby air gordon on Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:24 am

Have any of those editorial types been said to any of the all Star players in an interview?

Id like to see that interview
Jump.
air gordon

Postby Dee4Three on Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:05 am

I wish there was a way to put incentive on the all star game. Something that makes it important, something that makes the players compete. I don't even watch it anymore.

In regards to the dunk contest, I cringed through the whole thing. Nobody just does amazing dunks anymore, they use drones, mascots, cheerleaders, cupcake (G. Green), car (Blake Griffin), etc. It's a joke. Last year with Gordon and Lavine, there were some awesome dunks that didn't involve all that crap (and two of the dunks using the mascot were clean and still very good). They also made dunks on the first attempt. This one, two, three attempts before a dunk is made (and sometimes when it's made it BARELY rattles in) is horrible and not impressive.

We had some stupid stuff in the dunk contest YEARS back as well, like the blind fold dunk by Cedric Ceballos in 1992. I remember watching this, and even at my young age I thought it was really dumb.

I just want all star weekend to be entertaining. This year was horrible.

Also, somebody please give me a +1 for bringing back the Ceballos blindfold dunk. JK.

phpBB [video]
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Check out my YouTube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvHJXrqit8Dc6HBY5P6EmAA

Follow me on Twitter

https://twitter.com/Dee4Three84
Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

PreviousNext

Return to NBA & Basketball