Beyond Frustrated with NBA 2k17 - Anybody??!

Talk about NBA 2K17 here.

Beyond Frustrated with NBA 2k17 - Anybody??!

Postby Dee4Three on Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:10 am

Does anybody else think that all these patches (I play on PC) has crippled the game? When it first came out, it felt mostly different than 2k16, but now it feels very much the same. I am really frustrated with all the body steals/body blocks, Unrealistic forced fouls, strange defensive animations where everybody seems to be losing their guy (Its horrible, the defense is absurd in this game), the unrealistic pace, the unrealistic bumping, protected shots when nobody is really in your space.

I'm pretty fed up, and it has interfered with my modding as well, just because I'm so frustrated with the game.

The gameplay patching elements DO NOT HELP, they are garbage. I am starting to wonder if the 2k dev team (who work on the animations/gameplay) understand the game of basketball fully. You can't possibly see the defense played on any possession and call it realistic, you can't possibly see these wild protected shots and think they are realistic, you can't possibly see all the excessive bumping (animation stopped for like 2 seconds) as realistic, you can't possibly think that after calling a play, it taking like 8-10 seconds for the players to start actually running it is realistic, you cant possibly think the ball yo-yoing in front of a player when his progress is impeded is realistic, you can't possibly think all these easy body steals and body blocks are realistic, you can't possibly think that the CPU double teams that leave people WIDE OPEN for layups all the time is realistic, you can't possibly think the running a 2 on 1 or 3 on 1 fastbreak in this game is realistic (your CPU player will fade out to the three almost every time instead of going in for the layup), you cant possibly think that these slow motion layups/dunks are realistic, you can't possibly think that the deathly slow spin moves and other moves are realistic (NOBODY moves even close to that slow in real life, in fact its impossible), you cant possibly think giving Nick Van Exel Shawn Marions free throw is realistic, You cant possibly think that copying all of Lebrons Signatures to Jr Rider is realistic, you can't possibly think that centers/PF's during a sim season get like 5 assists and 2 steals in 82 games is realistic, you can't possibly think that making the same mistake giving Charles Smiths portrait to Matt Bullard is realistic, you can't possibly think giving Walt Williams Adrian Griffins Portrait is realistic.

The MOST IMPORTANT aspect of any sports game, is the flow. That is flows like real life. The pace. Atleast when playing NBA 2k9, NBA 2k11, NBA 2k13 and NBA 2k14, we had the realistic pace of the NBA. The players looked and played like athletes. Overall, the defense was sound, overall, the players moved up and down the court at a realistic pace. Everything that I have said above ruins THE FLOW of the game. Players celebrating after a made hoop (can't get them out of the animation) for like 5-6 seconds while the player they are defending goes all the way up the court for an easy score (because nobody helps obviously). Ive had this happen to me MANY times, especially at the end of games when a big shot is made (Because the players celebrates after). You call that realistic 2k? If that happens ONCE it can completely ruin a game for the user. Now put that together with all of the other frustrations I mentioned above.

I am actually really hoping NBA LIVE puts out a realistic product for NBA LIVE 18. I am beyond frustrated.

Any 2k dev team (who makes decisions on the gameplay) want to come on here and tell us what the hell is going on? Every single thing I mention above (and some I left out), happen every single game to completely butcher the experience. I doubt someone from 2k DEV would come on the forums to address this. But all of those things about dramatically impact the flow (minus the simming stats issue). I don't want to hear that the system can only do certain things. You have proven in the past the system certainly can make a realistic flow, realistic basketball sim. This is NOT realistic by any means. I take a pull up with CJ McCollum, and my defender is a couple feet off me, and he goes into a protected shot that doesn't even hit rim. WHAT? NBA Players make those shots ALL THE TIME, nvm CJ McCollum being a very good shooter. This happens all the time during games.

I could go on and on. I am hoping others get upset like I am, maybe if enough of us talk about it and complain, a difference can be made. I want to point out, Is stood up for this game when it first came out. The game feels completely broken now.
Last edited by Dee4Three on Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Check out my YouTube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvHJXrqit8Dc6HBY5P6EmAA

Follow me on Twitter

https://twitter.com/Dee4Three84
Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Re: Beyond Frustrated with NBA 2k17 - Anybody??!

Postby Andrew on Wed Feb 15, 2017 7:29 am

I think the bigger problem is the tuning updates that come through (the "Update Required" ones) rather than the numbered patches, since the latter have addressed some important technical issues. Either way though, I agree. Some of those tuning updates and probably a couple of adjustments in the numbered title updates have made changes that aren't for the best, while leaving other issues unresolved.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Dee4Three on Wed Feb 15, 2017 7:36 am

Andrew wrote:I think the bigger problem is the tuning updates that come through (the "Update Required" ones) rather than the numbered patches, since the latter have addressed some important technical issues. Either way though, I agree. Some of those tuning updates and probably a couple of adjustments in the numbered title updates have made changes that aren't for the best, while leaving other issues unresolved.

I just don't understand how a team with a grip on how the NBA game flows can't get it even close. Again, all the complaints above happen every game. How can someone truly enjoy a full game with all of that interrupting the flow? I watch a ton of NBA (Have for 25+ years), and am so disappointed with how this game plays. It makes me wonder if they do have a grip at all.

I am not enjoying any games I play. I have attempted everything with the sliders, but the sliders cant fix those game breaking defense issues/celebration issues/ridiculously slow animation issues on dribbles and layups and dunks, etc etc etc.

We as a fan base deserve better.
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby PeacemanNOT on Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:43 am

Honestly, I don't even get the chance to play the game that much, so as far as the gameplay side I can't really say much. I'm only ever modding the game, which has allowed me see a lot of set backs from last year. For a game where graphics are supposed to be its biggest feature, it has be extremely ignored.

There's 5 less body types from last year, which explains the massive debate over terrible body types. Texture quality has been reduced, in particular with jerseys. A whole part of the jersey file was taken out for no reason. (It controlled the material of the jersey, basically what made the jersey have a cloth texture)

Probably the most annoying part for me atleast is the Classic aspect of the game. It's really bad, all the models/stadiums/faces are converted from 2K16, which was converted from 2K15, which was converted from 2K14 Next-Gen.... you get the point. This is why I've focused on classic teams this year. There is no atmosphere when playing games, it all feels bland. The further you go back the more really start to notice the lack of detail. Every stadium is pitch black, they have this blue filter which is a huge eye sore and makes everything look blurry. It's all because they're converted from the over exaggerated dark stadiums from 2K14's Next Gen.

Also, those stupid pop ups trying to inform me the latest know-how in MyTeam just says it all. 2K gotta make their money somehow... they sure as hell can find the time to update MyTeam all year round.
Donate if you'd like to:
Paypal - https://paypal.me/PeacemanNOT
PeacemanNOT
Useless Member
Contributor

Postby Uncle Drew on Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:45 am

The defense is broken. Too many players left wide open for uncontested shots. Big's like Dwight Howard, camping out at the 3 pt line, that aren't 3 pt shooters. Uncontested drives to the rim, and when you switch to help, it leaves you vulnerable to offensive rebounds, putbacks, and dunks. The gameplay has improved, but not nearly a finished product yet.
Uncle Drew

Postby StyxTx on Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:51 am

Dee4Three wrote:Does anybody else think that all these patches (I play on PC) has kind of crippled the game. When it first came out, it felt mostly different than 2k16, but now it feels very much the same. ...

I've been saying this about the game every year. To me, each version played pretty good on day 1, but with every following update and patch the game got worse and worse.

A few of my frustrations.....

I play only MyCareer.

Having certain moves adjusted, or removed completely, like they did with the spin move for a while in 2k16.

Losing the ball in the paint every time unless you put up a quick shot. You can't make any type of dribble move in or real close to the paint where it doesn't get stolen.

Behind the back dribbles that get stolen by the guy in front of you? I can't steal a behind the back dribble when I'm behind the dude, for pete's sake. The ball just dribbles through me. When I dribble, the ball will bounce off a defender but if I am the defender they just dribble through me as if I'm not there.

The passing by my teammates in this version is atrocious. The will not throw bounce or lob passes. Every pass is a chest high pass, and many times into the chest or back of a defender 1 or 2 steps in front of them. The way they will wait to pass when I call for it until a defender has a chance to get in front of me.

When I call for an alley-oop, defenders can jump WAY up there to intercept it. Isaiah Thomas, you know, the 10 foot tall Thomas :roll: , half way between me (at the rim receiving the alley-oop) and my teammate at the free throw line, jumps high enough to intercept the alley-oop. Really?

Our passes will hit defenders but the other team can throw a pass from the top of the key through 3 of my teammates at the basket to a player behind my teammates and the ball does not get deflected, stolen or anything, as if my teammates weren't even there.

The foul calling in this version is a joke. I get called for fouls for just running in front of someone who is trying to shoot a 3-pointer? Just run in front of him, not toward him, but right-to-left in front of him. Don't try to defend or steal. FOUL! Riiiiiiiiiiight. So many fouls being called where no contact was made. I don't know why they messed with the foul calling. Fouls worked fine in all the previous versions.
StyxTx

Postby Dee4Three on Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:06 pm

I feel you Styxtx. The game just feels completely broken.

I am not enjoying it at all.

And yes, Uncle Drew, the defense is most certainly broken. How can we have fun with a game at all with broken defense?

And PeacemanNOT, I didn't even mention all the retro blunders. Not only are all the classic stadiums unrealistically dark, there is really no authenticity with any of it. And, they really screwed the classic players with ratings/tendencies... I've had to do so much tweaking. Remember, I am just a regular dude from NH, how can I see and fix all this stuff but the game developers can't?

Its so frustrating.

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby Dee4Three on Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:55 am

I wish I had backed up my original EXE. I would go back to it in a second. It wasn't perfect, but it played better.

Honestly, if Live comes out with a good product, I may switch next year and not get NBA 2K18. I'm really frustrated with the 2k dev team.

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby I Hate Mondays on Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:02 am

Welcome to the club. What seemed to be only a random thought is now becomming a reality for me each day. I am honestly thinking about buying a console and switching to the NBA live series. The team seems more professional.
At least we had some 2k devs around these forums before, but now it seems the 2k team has decided to ditch the idea. No communication whatsoever. What is worse is whenever I get frustrated and I open my facebook/instagram page, I have to see that a****le, Ronnie2K, acting like an ignorant and thinking he is a VIP or something. I get 4 x frustrated and angry. I would prefer our money would go to a better development of the game, not to some social media clown. I won't list the numbers here, but you won't believe how much this guy earns/year.
I Hate Mondays

Postby Dee4Three on Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:09 am

The professionalism of the 2k dev team has gone downhill it seems. I feel like they are not listening to us, and just do whatever they want. But we are the consumers, we are the ones buying the product. The team, to me, seems egotistical, and the gameplay issues (ALL THE ONES IM MENTIONING ABOVE) are not being addressed.

To be honest, I would be willing to go back to the days of players not even having signature shots as long as the game had a realistic flow and pace.

When NBA 2K14 came out for next gen (XB1 and PS4), it held the same gameplay for the most part as NBA 2K14 PC (last gen). That game flowed, I truly enjoyed the gameplay. The problem with that game were the online connection issues, and limited modes (couldn't even play a two player franchise). However, THAT to me, is a realistic basketball flow. It has gone downhill starting with NBA 2K15. I would love to have NBA 2k18 have the graphics/gameplay of NBA 2k14 next gen honestly.

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby Dee4Three on Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:25 am

The players move at a more realistic pace. They move like athletes, and the game flows much better. The defense is also far more disciplined. Also, the graphics are more realistic to me (The lighting and everything). Example of fluid flow and motion, Westbrooks layup at 30:48.

How do we go BACKWARDS in 3 years?

phpBB [video]

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby Dee4Three on Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:47 am

Also, 2k Dev team, how in the world can you explain the logic behind ANY players with that skinny body type. Jason Terry and John Stockton look like ME when I was like 13 years old. Those body types were not in 2k14. How in the world do you work on the game, and see Jason Terry like that, and go "Yeah, that's realistic". Why is that body type even in the game? How on any camera view or close up can you think that body type is realistic. They resemble nothing close to a human being, nevermind an NBA athlete.

How can a normal guy like myself see this right off the bat and say "this is awful" but you guys use it in the final product?

What the hell?

Also, for the classic teams atmosphere. You have high school gym cheers during the games, it feels like a high school game. No atmosphere, it ruins the game. You literally are playing with a dark crowd that just sits there, and random high school cheers happen during the game. How did that make it to the final product?

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby alienlife on Thu Feb 16, 2017 3:24 am

I thought i was the only one who feel this way. I always thought that the series has gone downhill since 2K14. I played 2K14, and it's still the best NBA simulation game i've ever played. The presentation, the gameplay, the music, all of it is perfect.

For me anyways, 2K17 is pretty decent. Not really good. but not that bad either. One of the things that really annoy me is the three pointers. It's like the game is designed for guys like Stephen Curry, KD, or Kyrie. Every single damn player who at least have a 70 three pointer ratings seems to want to take a three point shots. You pass to a guy who's at mid-range area, and he's alwasy do a stepback to do a three pointer even though his moving three pointer rating is below 60. And of course, as you said, the transition too. No one, i mean, even the bigs who can's shoot sometimes fade to the three point line. Ridiculous.

The problem about defense leaving wide open man, i think the problem is in the head coach defensive settings. I played a lot of MyLeague, and every coach have a different defensive settings. For instance, Gregg Popovich have a 95 help defense slider, i think, while Thibs have a 30 or something defensive settings. The higher the number is, the more likely your player will rotate on defense. I usually like to leave it at somewhere around 40 or 50 (because above 90 will have your guys always switching in PnR). I suggest you try that. It works for me, i always hold my opponents FG below 45% in a Hall of Fame difficulty)

Other than that, i agree 100% about everything you said. It's about time someone speaks up. (Y)
alienlife

Postby Dee4Three on Thu Feb 16, 2017 3:29 am

alienlife wrote:I thought i was the only one who feel this way. I always thought that the series has gone downhill since 2K14. I played 2K14, and it's still the best NBA simulation game i've ever played. The presentation, the gameplay, the music, all of it is perfect.

For me anyways, 2K17 is pretty decent. Not really good. but not that bad either. One of the things that really annoy me is the three pointers. It's like the game is designed for guys like Stephen Curry, KD, or Kyrie. Every single damn player who at least have a 70 three pointer ratings seems to want to take a three point shots. You pass to a guy who's at mid-range area, and he's alwasy do a stepback to do a three pointer even though his moving three pointer rating is below 60. And of course, as you said, the transition too. No one, i mean, even the bigs who can's shoot sometimes fade to the three point line. Ridiculous.

The problem about defense leaving wide open man, i think the problem is in the head coach defensive settings. I played a lot of MyLeague, and every coach have a different defensive settings. For instance, Gregg Popovich have a 95 help defense slider, i think, while Thibs have a 30 or something defensive settings. The higher the number is, the more likely your player will rotate on defense. I usually like to leave it at somewhere around 40 or 50 (because above 90 will have your guys always switching in PnR). I suggest you try that. It works for me, i always hold my opponents FG below 45% in a Hall of Fame difficulty)

Other than that, i agree 100% about everything you said. It's about time someone speaks up. (Y)

Its not the defensive settings. You literally dribble up the floor and the SG moves out of the way (out of bounds) to give you a wide open shot or lane. It is not fixable with any of the defensive settings, its a broken system issue. No settings fix the double team/wide open fiasco that happens all the time leaving players completely wide open for layups, its a broken game issue. The fastbreak issue is also a broken game issue and cannot be fixed with the settings. I have put over 500 hours into this game, I know.

Thanks for the compliment, I'm glad I got this thread out there. I even tweeted (I never use Twitter) under the name "Dfexpress" about the issues with a link to this thread. I tweeted to the main NBA 2k account and Ronnie 2k.

We deserve better.

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby I Hate Mondays on Thu Feb 16, 2017 3:39 am

The second guy you tweeted to will, excuse my english, piss on your comment. He ignores comments with 10k of likes, that's his job. The nba 2k account team might take a look though.
I Hate Mondays

Postby Dee4Three on Thu Feb 16, 2017 3:52 am

I Hate Mondays wrote:The second guy you tweeted to will, excuse my english, piss on your comment. He ignores comments with 10k of likes, that's his job. The nba 2k account team might take a look though.

I'm aware. But, it's better to get the information out there in my opinion. I've watched him play the game pre-release the last few years, he has no idea what he is doing. He's a representative for the game, and he doesn't play well at all. He also compliments aspects of the game that are completely unrealistic, couldn't they find anybody better?

I don't have respect for him in regards to 2k.

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby Dee4Three on Thu Feb 16, 2017 4:26 am

I'm also tweeting at Mike Wang, and provided the link. Again, it's worth a shot.

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby I Hate Mondays on Thu Feb 16, 2017 4:32 am

It is worth a shot. So if anyone reads this, ffs, fix the stuttering problem on PC caused by MSAA. I am not spoiled or anything, but we shouldn't have ugly edges on a current gen game just because of bad optimisation.
I Hate Mondays

Postby StyxTx on Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:51 am

It is funny to me that in their effort to make it harder for players to cheat they make the game cheat more and more. :roll:
StyxTx

Postby StyxTx on Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:58 am

I Hate Mondays wrote:It is worth a shot. So if anyone reads this, ffs, fix the stuttering problem on PC caused by MSAA. I am not spoiled or anything, but we shouldn't have ugly edges on a current gen game just because of bad optimisation.

I bought a new graphics card and have all the settings on maximum settings and don't have the stuttering anymore. I didn't buy the card for 2k, but for a couple other games. The game looks darn good. Unfortunately, the game play doesn't match the looks.
StyxTx

Postby atlwarrior on Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:47 pm

A lot of the issues is not even the game itself. It's the roster. Prime example is how LeBron James play types are way off. This may seem like something minor but it is something that has a huge impact on the gameplay.

There are ways to make the gameplay better through roster editing. Sliders and Patches don't do much. Don't get me wrong 2k's roster isn't bad. They edit ratings throughout the season but they haven't updated the tendencies (besides the touch tendency), badges or play types at all. These things are important as well. This is why you see players like Isaiah Thomas settle for a lot of outside shots when he should be driving to the basket like he does in real-life.

There is this guy named Sonicmage who has a really good roster but he puts them on a google doc spreadsheet which is a pain in the ass to copy. I'm just waiting on a person to copy all of that stuff upload it on the PS4. Rashidi seems too busy to make rosters now. It sucks he doesn't do rosters anymore but this Sonicmage guy is pretty good.
atlwarrior

Postby Dee4Three on Thu Feb 16, 2017 4:16 pm

atlwarrior wrote:A lot of the issues is not even the game itself. It's the roster. Prime example is how LeBron James play types are way off. This may seem like something minor but it is something that has a huge impact on the gameplay.

There are ways to make the gameplay better through roster editing. Sliders and Patches don't do much. Don't get me wrong 2k's roster isn't bad. They edit ratings throughout the season but they haven't updated the tendencies (besides the touch tendency), badges or play types at all. These things are important as well. This is why you see players like Isaiah Thomas settle for a lot of outside shots when he should be driving to the basket like he does in real-life.

There is this guy named Sonicmage who has a really good roster but he puts them on a google doc spreadsheet which is a pain in the ass to copy. I'm just waiting on a person to copy all of that stuff upload it on the PS4. Rashidi seems too busy to make rosters now. It sucks he doesn't do rosters anymore but this Sonicmage guy is pretty good.

I know what you are saying. But most of the stuff I mentioned are part of a broken game engine. Like the defensive players moving out of the way when the ball is being brought up (example, guard moving out of bounds and giving a lane). The body steals/body blocks, the really alow layup and dunk animations, the really alow dribbling animations. Those are game engine issues. The clipping and forced animations (being forced into a defender, a defender being forced into the offensive player). The not being able to get out of a celebration animation, etc.

Those are all game engine issues that can't be fixed with sliders/attributes/ratings.

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby benji on Thu Feb 16, 2017 4:42 pm

There is something off with the contact between players, last year had a problem too but I don't know if it was worse. It's hard to explain because it's like on the edges of where animations collide, as long as the players are generally upright it's fine except for the ball popping loose randomly.

I'm going to pretend it's the reason it's borderline impossible to spin to the baseline this year. That can't entirely be my fault when the AI goes out of bounds near constantly trying to do it.

It's like the bump you get in the animation is impacting you four times too much. Though that's probably realistic considering the size of the upper bodies of everyone this year.
benji

Postby I Hate Mondays on Thu Feb 16, 2017 4:47 pm

StyxTx wrote:
I Hate Mondays wrote:It is worth a shot. So if anyone reads this, ffs, fix the stuttering problem on PC caused by MSAA. I am not spoiled or anything, but we shouldn't have ugly edges on a current gen game just because of bad optimisation.

I bought a new graphics card and have all the settings on maximum settings and don't have the stuttering anymore. I didn't buy the card for 2k, but for a couple other games. The game looks darn good. Unfortunately, the game play doesn't match the looks.

They have some recommended settings which should also do the trick and run the game with no stuttering. There are compability issues. The game pretty much looks the same as last year, so it should run like last year when we didn't have any stuttering. We shouldn't be forced to buy a GTX 1080 for a basketball video game.
I Hate Mondays

Postby alienlife on Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:32 pm

Seriously though, i already want to get my hands on the new NBA Live instad of 2K17. At least, EA Sports is trying to make their game beter.

Thousands already said this, but MyCareer pretty much unplayable unless you like to grind or buy some VC. Seriously though, you can't even up your freethrow rating at 68 unless you train your freethrow. And the archetype on MyCareer is unbelievable. You can't even upgrade badges that's outside of your archtype. Seriously 2K, NBA is more versatile this days. Playmaker CN shoot. Bigs who can shoot can also work in the post. Seriously? Don't even let me start on MyPark...

Seriously though, at this point we all should just wait for NBA Live 17. With their frosbite engine, hopefully they can turn things around. There must be a reason why they delay their Live 17 release.
alienlife

Next

Return to NBA 2K17