Professional Wrestling (WWE, TNA, ROH, etc)

Other video games, TV shows, movies, general chit-chat...this is an all-purpose off-topic board where you can talk about anything that doesn't have its own dedicated section.

Re: Professional Wrestling (WWE, TNA, ROH, etc)

Postby Lean on Mon Jan 30, 2017 2:54 pm

I've read somewhere that Bray's gonna win the title at Elimination Chamber and face Orton at Mania, a feud that doesn't need the title anyways But if that's where they want to go, why not have AJ retain and have Bray win it from AJ inside the chamber?
Lean
The Artist Formerly Known as Crappystuff
NLSC Team Member

Postby Lean on Mon Jan 30, 2017 5:10 pm

So some of the bigger guys were shown coming in from the stage and then the camera cuts to the ring long before it cuts back to the guy that entered. Apparently, they were carried down the ring.

ImageImageImageImage
Lean
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:25 pm

Cena/Styles was a great match. I think it's really past time to put the "Cena can't wrestle" stuff to bed. Is he the best worker in the history of the business? Compared to the best of the best that have come along, no, he's not. Is he terrible, or incapable of having an entertaining match? No. When he's paired up with great workers, he's carried his share of the load. I don't mind that Cena went over, making history in the process. From all accounts, Vince is high up on Styles, he's had a great first year in the company, and I expect he'll continue to be in the main event. He wasn't buried here.

The Rumble match had some fun moments, but I was underwhelmed by the ending. The best that I can say is that they didn't have Reigns win it, but the fact it was teased was bad enough. If it ultimately helps elevate Bray Wyatt and finally give his character more meaning, motivation, and high profile angles - I assume that's what's going to happen now, a match with Randy Orton - then I guess it's worth it. It's a little puzzling, though.

Lesnar being taken out by Goldberg so easily was a surprise, but it does add further intrigue to their rivalry. A shame Lesnar made a few people look absolutely useless before his elimination, though.

Unfortunately, much as I'm a fan of his, The Undertaker isn't in good shape. Even as he's slowed down in recent years, he's still been in relatively decent shape, but his physique wasn't looking too good. This is apparently a farewell tour for him however, and I do think he's earned that. I'd like to see him have a couple more moments and then bow it, and it does sound like that's what's going to happen. I'm not a fan of the idea of him doing the job to Reigns at Wrestlemania, though. I don't think Reigns will ever get over as a face if that happens. The reaction when he eliminated Taker was not positive at all, and as much as they keep trying to push him as the face of the company, crowds keep rejecting him. They're making the same mistake with Reigns as they did with Cena in terms of booking and character. He should be a heel at this point, he's a complete flop as a babyface.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Lean on Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:40 pm

Andrew wrote:Cena/Styles was a great match. I think it's really past time to put the "Cena can't wrestle" stuff to bed. Is he the best worker in the history of the business? Compared to the best of the best that have come along, no, he's not. Is he terrible, or incapable of having an entertaining match? No. When he's paired up with great workers, he's carried his share of the load. I don't mind that Cena went over, making history in the process. From all accounts, Vince is high up on Styles, he's had a great first year in the company, and I expect he'll continue to be in the main event. He wasn't buried here.

I agree here. I just think having AJ lose the title here then have Cena lose it to Bray on the next Smackdown PPV so that Orton can go for it at Mania, just made Cena a transitional champion, they could just have Bray win the title from AJ on the next PPV. But that match is fantastic. The false finishes and the transitions from submission hold to another submission hold are great. There's a spot where Styles prepped for a Styles Clash, and Cena's head was mushed on the mat for a moment.

Meanwhile, I hope those gnarly stares Reigns gave Undertaker is a hint of a heel turn. Because his run as a face is just completely rejected. When the #30 buzzer came in, I was hoping for Samoa Joe to come out. Instead, we got a Samoan named "Joe".
Lean
NLSC Team Member

Postby bigh0rt on Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:05 pm

The Rumble has generally been one of my favorite events every year, despite what feels like frequent let downs on several occasions. Last night was the first WWE show I've watched I think since Survivor Series, PPV or otherwise, and I came away at least entertained. While the Main Event could have been better, I actually enjoyed some of the mini-stories that were told during it. From the early going where I was convinced Jericho was going to win so that he could face Owens at Mania (though his ultimate exit from the match was underwhelming, and seemed rushed, after having him stay in for so long), to what felt like Vince trolling us having Reigns enter 30th to give us the "Jesus not again" feeling that I have to imagine he was going for. While the "WWE doesn't elevate and push new talent" committee will be out in full force with Orton's victory, I don't mind it at all. He's a guy I really enjoy watching work, and as long as the angle is good, and ultimately ends up in a match vs Bray, which it ought to, I'm content.

Is there anybody better than AJ Styles right now? Completely rhetorical; nobody is close. It's nice to see him, in his first year, fulfill all of the anticipation that he garnered with the rumors of coming to WWE, wondering if he could maintain the same level that he had in other promotions, etc. The guy is by far the best talent they have currently, and the sky is the limit. His match with Cena (who I've said over the last year or so and continue to say, has worked some damn good matches and been incredibly impressive and deserves recognition of) was A+, and he didn't have to carry it. They have great in ring chemistry.

Having not watched a show in some time, I'm assuming at this point that SmackDown is a superior show to RAW in every facet. Interesting, because I'm sure that was not the original intent when the brand split.
bigh0rt
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:30 pm

bigh0rt wrote:to what felt like Vince trolling us having Reigns enter 30th to give us the "Jesus not again" feeling that I have to imagine he was going for.

Agreed, that's definitely what it felt like. On one hand I kind of admire that as it sets up an unexpected swerve, but at the same time, it somehow feels like a wasted opportunity to have someone else in there at the end. At least he didn't end up winning.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby bigh0rt on Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:52 am

Do we see Brock v. Goldberg III at Mania? Bray vs Orton? Triple H vs Seth Rollins? Reigns vs Undertaker? Cena vs Styles X (feels like)? Owens vs Jericho? Enzo/Cass vs New Day? Gallows/Anderson vs American Alpha? I don't hate any of those possibilities, I don't think. Need to find where Ambrose, Braun, Cesaro, Seamus, Ziggler, Miz, Corbin, and others could possibly fit in, but I imagine there will be some sort of 6-way Ladder Match or something for the IC Title, which seems to have been the case lately. Also, do we see Champion vs Champion for the Women? Is Balor expected to be healthy by then? Do we see Joe and/or Nakamura? Are they doing that stupid Andre the Giant Battle Royal?
bigh0rt
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:26 am

That's what the card's shaping up to be, or so it seems. Interesting to see how they'll book Goldberg/Lesnar. Presumably another short match, but another squash either way, and it really trivialises the end of Taker's streak, and everyone else who has put Lesnar over.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby zzcoolj21 on Tue Jan 31, 2017 7:27 am

phpBB [video]
zzcoolj21
20% on Good release machine, The NLSC's Jr Smith

Postby Lean on Tue Jan 31, 2017 2:22 pm

Samoa Joe debuted and attacked Seth Rollins on Raw.
Lean
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Tue Jan 31, 2017 6:48 pm

Should be a good stopgap angle, leading to Rollins/HHH at Wrestlemania.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Lean on Thu Feb 02, 2017 12:06 pm

...aaaaaand Rollins reportedly re-injured his knee when Joe put him in the Coquina Clutch on Raw.
Lean
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Thu Feb 02, 2017 12:19 pm

Unclear whether it's a work or a shoot, but it's looking like it might be a shoot, unfortunately.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby [Q] on Fri Feb 03, 2017 4:54 am

Karma for all the injuries that Seth has caused. Funny how the company doesn't blackball him despite his injury history like they do to other good workers. I actually enjoyed the product when be was gone last time so hopefully he'll take some time to rest up and not rush back

Joe appeared to ask him if he's alright, Seth tells him I hope so
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby zzcoolj21 on Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:17 am

[Q] wrote:Joe appeared to ask him if he's alright, Seth tells him I hope so

zzcoolj21
20% on Good release machine, The NLSC's Jr Smith

Postby Lean on Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:57 pm

Owens vs Goldberg at Fastlane? That's just... meh. I haven't been a fan of Owens' title run.

Meanwhile, NXT sounded a whole lot different without Corey Graves. And Percy Watson sucks.
Lean
NLSC Team Member

Postby [Q] on Sat Feb 11, 2017 5:51 am

Lean wrote:Owens vs Goldberg at Fastlane? That's just... meh. I haven't been a fan of Owens' title run.

Meanwhile, NXT sounded a whole lot different without Corey Graves. And Percy Watson sucks.

Owens and Jericho's banter has been the only entertaining part about raw for me for quite some time

And I don't like graves. He's very annoying. Glad he's gone. He's a mini jbl where he can't decide if he's a heel or face
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Sat Feb 11, 2017 9:03 am

Agreed on Graves, I'm not a fan. Aside from going back and forth between heel and face on a dime, the biggest problem with the heel commentators these days is that they make faces look bad, if not flat out bury them. Traditionally, the heel commentators were more entertaining with their antagonistic announcing, because while they made fun of the faces, they did it in a way that drew them sympathy, not made them look stupid or worthless. When Cole had his heel run that lasted way too long, he was a big offender, and it was even worse because he was the play-by-play guy.

Here's Jim Cornette talking about that. He's talking about wrestlers and managers cutting promos, but the same logic applies to commentary as well.

phpBB [video]
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby bigh0rt on Mon Feb 13, 2017 2:10 pm

(Y) (Y) (Y)
bigh0rt
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby Lean on Mon Feb 13, 2017 2:15 pm

COMBO BREAKER

Elimination Chamber results:
Becky Lynch def. Mickie James
Apollo Crews & Kalisto def. Dolph Ziggler
American Alpha retains vs. The Ascension/The Usos/The Vaudevillains/Breezango/Rhyno & Heath Slater
Natalya vs. Nikki Bella ended in a No Contest
Naomi def. Alexa Bliss (new Smackdown Women's Champion, I still love you Alexa :( )
Bray Wyatt def. AJ Styles, John Cena, The Miz, Dean Ambrose and Baron Corbin (NEW WWE WORLD HEAVYWEIGHT FUCKING CHAMPION)

This PPV is a good show.
Lean
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Mon Feb 13, 2017 2:21 pm

Great ending, great way to give Wyatt a big win. Seems like the push is really on, though it remains to be seen what they'll do with the belt at Wrestlemania.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby [Q] on Tue Feb 14, 2017 4:42 pm

Very deserving win for Naomi. She's put in the time and worked hard
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Tue Feb 14, 2017 7:08 pm

JeriKO is no more. It'll be interesting to see who the heel is moving forward. Owens was kind of getting a face pop when he attacked Jericho, but he's better as a heel than a face, and I don't seem him dropping those elements of his character. In any case, I expect he'll go over at Wrestlemania, perhaps capturing the US title in the process.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Lean on Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:37 am

I think Owens would go on as a heel as Jericho's catchphrases turned out to get face pops, I'm just not okay with Owens dropping the title to Goldberg at Fastlane.

Then their WrestleMania match would be for US title.

Also, Bayley winning the Women's Title would probably mean she'll lose it back to Charlotte on Fastlane, because of Charlotte's PPV winning streak EDIT: Calling a Sasha heel turn on the way to WrestleMania.

I'm also stoked for Wyatt to receive "YOU-DE-SERVE-IT" chants on Smackdown later today.
Lean
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:20 am

Charlotte losing on TV and winning on PPV is getting quite predictable. As good a worker as she and the rest of the women's division on both brands are, there are too many title switches happening.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic