Lakers Thread

Like real basketball, as well as basketball video games? Talk about the NBA, NCAA, and other professional and amateur basketball leagues here.

Re: Lakers Thread

Postby Bruce on Mon Nov 14, 2016 2:41 pm

Right now when I look at Ingram, this is what I see. I hope that body fills out soon.

NovU wrote: Post Kobe era is off to a fast start it seems if Lakers can maintain 500 for the season.

This is a pleasant and welcome surprise for me. I was thinking the Lakers would be sluggish at the start and end up with 25 wins this season. But If they can end it at close to the .500 mark then that 1st pick owed for the Nash trade won't seem like such a waste.
YEAH BOY!
Bruce

Postby Jackal on Tue Nov 15, 2016 11:28 pm

Tough loss against the Wolves, that team is quite exciting as well. Stellar game by Wiggins.

Ingram should fill out with the way they are handling him. He's just 19, he's got loads of time still. His instincts on defense are quite impressive and I like the way he goes up for rebounds.

Best case scenario would be .500 team at the end of the year and the ping pong balls falling the Lakers' way. Top three protected I believe, but that's wishful thinking.
Jackal

Postby [Q] on Wed Nov 16, 2016 4:51 am

I'd say Julius is the best player right now. His versatility and consistency is what makes him the best. Russell is great but has some off nights

Yeah I like Ingram's instincts on defense. His long ass arms are tipping a lot of passes and getting occasional blocks

Iirc the Nash pick is unprotected this year so the process is still working for the sixers
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby NovU on Wed Nov 16, 2016 10:19 am

Jackal wrote:Tough loss against the Wolves, that team is quite exciting as well. Stellar game by Wiggins.

Indeed, it was a battle between KAT, Wiggins, Dunn vs. Randle, Russell, Ingram. Really interesting which trio will be the better in a few years.
THX TO DOPE-JAO FOR THE SPECIAL SIG! <3
Enjoy! <3 Jao
NovU
Crap, what am I going to brag about now?

Postby Jackal on Thu Nov 17, 2016 9:28 am

[Q] wrote:Iirc the Nash pick is unprotected this year so the process is still working for the sixers

L.A. Lakers' 1st round pick to Philadelphia (via Phoenix) protected for selections 1-3 in 2017

http://basketball.realgm.com/nba/draft/ ... s/detailed

So this year if they get 1-3 it's still the Lakers', next year however it's unprotected.

Great triple double by Randle and a good scoring game by Russell too. They had some bad defensive possessions in the fourth quarter though, shouldn't have been as close as it ended up being. Ingram also had some good plays defensively down the stretch.

I think the coaching staff also realizes they need to help Deng out some how, I saw him play the 4 in the first half with a Nance-Deng-Ingram-Clarkson-Williams line up and once with Randle-Deng-Ingram-Clarkson & Russell. Moz has been playing his balls off (still a bad contract, but still..) but Deng's been looking pretty bad on the court. I'm sure he's doing a good job as a vet (see him talking to the young guys on the sidelines quite a bit) but every time he shoots I sort of cringe.

On to San Antonio. Weird to think Timmy's not there anymore. :|
Jackal

Postby Jackal on Sun Nov 20, 2016 12:26 am

Tough loss against the Spurs, Russell sat out with a sore knee, hope he's better and back for the next game.

Not a bad effort by the team though, they hung around with the Spurs and even fought back from a 19 point deficit.
Ingram is being aggressive and trying to make things happen by driving but you can see the lack of body strength really throws his shots off and he has a difficult time finishing. He's really working hard on the defensive end and I love the way he goes for rebounds so that's a positive. Does a lot of the ball handling with the second unit too. I'm encouraged by what I see so far from him, hope he only gets better and better. Randle should slowly start trusting that 17-18 footer of his, it looks way better than it did last year. He's been a delight to watch so far.

Next up: Bulls in LA.
Jackal

Postby Jackal on Tue Jan 03, 2017 1:04 am

The duo of T-Rob & T-Black is so fun to watch, I'm really glad management was able to cut Yi in favor of Robinson.

As for the rest of the Lakers: nice job by Young, Williams and Deng who has picked it up as of late.

The young guys need to show some more effort though, Randle takes plays off on both sides sometimes, Russell plays too lackadaisical and Clarkson seems to have digressed since last year, he's got that tunnel vision Randle had last year. I feel he played much more of a facilitators role last year. Perhaps that's what's being asked of him by Luke though, who knows.

Ingram has the instincts, I really hope he fills out and his shots fall. I think he's got the highest ceiling of them all.

Sometimes I miss the Mamba mentality in the young guys though, the team is so...laid back. They lose leads, little fight on the defensive end and you don't really see anyone say okay; enough of this shit. I guess that's not the teams identity any more but yeah, Kobe spoiled us. Some passion/fire a la Bestbrook in one of the young guys would be really nice.
Jackal

Postby air gordon on Tue Jan 03, 2017 4:22 am

Maybe they miss nance jr. he is their best front court defender

Clarkson maybe is destined as a combo guard 6th man... at least with this roster makeup

Lakers need to pair with a Russell another guard who can defend and shoot
Jump.
Scott Skiles answer to the question on how Eddy Curry can become a better rebounder
air gordon

Postby Jackal on Tue Jan 03, 2017 5:10 am

They do miss him, I agree completely with him being their best front court defender. Moz I think is the worst at the moment.

Lakers need to pair with a Russell another guard who can defend and shoot

Anyone off the top of your head? Young has been playing well on both sides but he's no defensive star himself.

What are the thoughts about trading Clarkson/a big/Young or Williams for Noel? Clarkson is on an extremely team-friendly contract but Noel's defense would really benefit the team. Would the Sixers want that though, not like LA has any picks to offer to sweeten the deal.
Jackal

Postby air gordon on Tue Jan 03, 2017 6:42 am

Lol idk. KCP. I imagine the competition will be stiff for him

Philly may be interested in him too so not sure if they would want a clarkson type for Noel. Just an outsiders opinion lol

Does Russell shoot layups other then in warmups? I swear that guy is just allergic to the lane in the games I've watched
Jump.
Scott Skiles answer to the question on how Eddy Curry can become a better rebounder
air gordon

Postby Jackal on Tue Jan 03, 2017 7:58 am

air gordon wrote:Does Russell shoot layups other then in warmups? I swear that guy is just allergic to the lane in the games I've watched

Since he's been back from that knee injury he seems to settle a lot more for the three. Before he had a move where he kept the defender on his hip and took a sort of floater type shot, haven't seen that one consistently since he's been back.

The defenders are going under the screen often since he's been back though, fits with Luke's shoot it if you're open philosophy. Wish he'd be a bit more aggressive, he's got good size compared to the guards that usually guard him.
Jackal

Postby Jackal on Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:21 am

Back to back 17 point games for Ingram, he's got such good instincts for a guy his age. I really think he's going to be really good down the line.

Also good to see Russell actually attack more, he got to the line on the first play that way I think.
Awesome effort by all the young guys, another game of balanced scoring and they tried on defense in the second half.

Congrats to T-Rob for getting his contract guaranteed, he's a workhorse and I'm glad he's on the team.
Jackal

Postby [Q] on Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:01 am

With the team almost back to full strength and the emergence of Deng, they've been fun to watch again after a rough stretch with injuries. Still loving randles odom-esque game and Robinson has been a good insurance policy for Nance
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Jackal on Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:37 am

[Q] wrote:With the team almost back to full strength and the emergence of Deng, they've been fun to watch again after a rough stretch with injuries. Still loving randles odom-esque game and Robinson has been a good insurance policy for Nance

Agreed, they sort of are back to the way they were playing back when the season started.

Artest, Huertas & Calderon would be players I'd have rather seen cut before T-Rob, even if he does play similar to T-Black.
Jackal

Postby Jackal on Sun Jan 15, 2017 7:37 am

Damn, no fight in these young Lakers. Decimated by the Spurs and the Clips are pretty much doing the same.

Some fire/passion/hustle wouldn't be a crime fellas.
Jackal

Postby [Q] on Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:10 am

TBH, i'm not surprised as these two teams are at the top of the West and are simply better than the Lakers.
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Jackal on Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:27 am

I didn't expect them to win, I expected them to compete. Their body language from the get-go was terrible.
Jackal

Postby Jackal on Sun Jan 22, 2017 5:16 am

Awesome win over the Pacers.

Good stuff:

Ingram is finally getting his shot to drop/being more aggressive on the offensive end of the floor. His instincts (and length) defensively are already pretty damn good (especially for a 19 year old). I have really high hopes of him, if he can become anything like Kawhi I'll be so happy. (Good both defensively & offensively to a point where he can dictate the game.)

The effort from Black/Clarkson/Young/Williams. Once they were on the floor you saw the Lakers not only take the lead but extend it.

Bad stuff:

Julius Randle is atrocious defensively. Like "get mad at the TV" type bad. He's got no defensive instincts at all, he's so lazy on that side of the court and I would hope Walton makes some kind of adjustment when Nance comes back to really make Randle realize he's just got to make some kind of effort on that side of the floor. Players waltz by him & he has a tendency to ball-watch as well. So frustrating.

What the fuck are wrong with Mozzie's hands? That dude can't catch a pass in the paint, damn.

Russell's injury. Hopefully it doesn't keep him out too long and he's able to come back soon enough and play effectively.
Jackal

Postby Jackal on Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:08 am

Jackal

Postby Bruce on Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:40 pm

^^ Randle and Russell are supposed to be the top 2 guys on the team, it is sad that they have been underperforming. The old Deng is no where to be found either. The team might still be raw, but maybe it is time for Walton to mix up the lineup again.
YEAH BOY!
Bruce

Postby air gordon on Tue Jan 24, 2017 2:23 pm

i understand it's fun to dream and have high hopes but.....what's the acceptable "floor" for these young guys? specifically ingram, randle, russell.
Jump.
air gordon

Postby [Q] on Tue Jan 24, 2017 5:38 pm

Jackal wrote:Damn, no fight in these young Lakers. Decimated by the Spurs and the Clips are pretty much doing the same.

Some fire/passion/hustle wouldn't be a crime fellas.

ok yeah this makes more sense now after that Dallas loss
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Jackal on Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:57 am

air gordon wrote:i understand it's fun to dream and have high hopes but.....what's the acceptable "floor" for these young guys? specifically ingram, randle, russell.

It's hard to say, you don't really want to compare them to players but hope for the best, I guess? I think(hope?) worst case scenario they could be like the following players:

Ingram - Otto Porter?
Randle - Antoine Walker? Julius' BBIQ is really lacking imo.
Russell - Kevin Martin with better handling?

Obviously I really hope they're better than those guys and all develop in to superstars but I think Ingram has the most potential to be a real star, Russell is tip-toe'ing that line and Randle is going to be a really good role player with perhaps a few all star appearances.
Jackal

Postby air gordon on Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:03 pm

Those are pretty fair worst case scenarios. If those are your acceptable "floors" for those guys that's not so bad

I am curious as to why you or anyone for that matter thinks Russell has superstar potential
Jump.
air gordon

Postby Jackal on Fri Jan 27, 2017 3:47 am

What a frustrating loss. I'm glad Luke yanked Julius at the 2.30 mark while not showing effort on the defensive end guarding CJ McCollum and getting burned.

Russell won't be a super star I think, I think he can be a multiple all star though. I think Ingram is the only one that can really be a superstar. Russell has good court vision and has a nice shot/decent handles. I'm not sure he's best suited at being the PG in an offense and would like to see him play more of a SG role. Or at least run some more pick & roll, he's really playing within the offense which involves a lot of handoffs/playing off screens.
Jackal

PreviousNext

Return to NBA & Basketball