Monday Tip-Off: Giving NCAA Games The Old College Try

Talk about the NLSC Podcast, Monday Tip-Off, Wayback Wednesday, The Friday Five, Top 10 Plays of the Week, and our Parsec Tournaments! This is also a section for NLSC and community announcements, and other site-related topics.

Re: Monday Tip-Off: How Danilo Gallinari Became My Least Favourite Teammate

Postby [Q] on Tue Nov 08, 2016 6:44 pm

Ha I felt that way about DAngelo Russell in my career in 2k16. I eventually started at SG next to him despite us both being PGs, sometimes in place of him but seems like he'd freeze me out even when I'm open. He did help us win a lot of games when my player's rating sucked but after a while I didn't really need him to score anymore
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Re: Monday Tip-Off: Fixing NBA 2K's Grading Logic

Postby Andrew on Mon Nov 14, 2016 9:26 pm

November 14th, 2016: Fixing NBA 2K's Grading Logic

Something that I've complained about on the Podcast, as well as in previous columns and most recently in this Forum thread, is the problematic nature of the grading logic in NBA 2K. Although there have been some subtle improvements in recent years, it's extremely rare that I play a game of MyCAREER or 2K Pro-Am where I'm not hit with a deduction that leaves me grumbling, and wondering how the grading logic figures that I should be penalised. Even in situations where my grade should take a hit, there are deductions that seem needlessly harsh.

Of course, at a certain point you need to channel those complaints into something more constructive, namely suggestions and solutions. Since we've tipped off the NBA 2K18 Wishlist, it's come time to start talking about some of the improvements and additions we want to see, and how we believe certain problems should be addressed. Since I've been playing a lot of 2K Pro-Am and MyCAREER in NBA 2K17, my issues with the grading logic sprang immediately when I was considering what I wanted to talk about this week. Without any further ado, here is an outline of how I feel the grading logic can be fixed in future NBA 2K releases.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: Monday Tip-Off: Decorating MyCOURT & Mulling MyCAREER

Postby Andrew on Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:10 pm

November 21st, 2016: Decorating MyCOURT & Mulling MyCAREER

My NBA 2K17 MyPLAYER is currently sitting at 92 Overall, which means I'm getting close to hitting all the level caps and maxing out my ratings (at least without levelling up MyPARK rep, anyway). This also means that it takes several sessions of Doin' Work to unlock the next upgrade. With only one Playmaker Badge left to unlock and upgrade through the MyPLAYER Store, and new ratings upgrades only becoming available every other in-game week or so, I'm currently earning more VC than I can spend on improving my abilities.

As such, I can spare more VC to spend on frivolities such as MyPLAYER clothing, and decorating MyCOURT. Having purchased a few of my favourite jerseys and outfitted MyPLAYER with Michael Jordan's shoes and uniform, I decided that MyCOURT could use some rebranding. I definitely like the changes I've made and I'm enjoying MyCAREER a lot, though I have to admit that I've been thinking about my future. Normally, I'd prefer to stay put with the team that drafted me, but as of late, I can't help thinking that I should keep my options open.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: Monday Tip-Off: Crafting NBA Live's Comeback

Postby Andrew on Mon Nov 28, 2016 10:26 pm

November 28th, 2016: Crafting NBA Live's Comeback

Last week, we received a very small snippet of news about NBA Live 17, courtesy of a brief interview with Senior Producer Mike Mahar. While we still don't know a lot about what's happening with NBA Live, we do know that the development team is still working on a console version of the game, and that a release is slated for the first quarter of 2017. We also know that there's a different team working on NBA Live Mobile (thus its development does not affect the console version), and thanks to Mike's interview, we've discovered that gameplay, animations, and new ways to play certain game modes have been a focus.

Of course, when it comes to future NBA Live releases, the proof will be in the pudding. After all, we've heard those promises before, and while the series has made progress since its rocky return with NBA Live 14, there's still plenty of untapped potential and room for improvement. I would really like to see NBA Live get back to where it once was, and I hope that whatever EA Sports is working on right now will be a big step in the right direction. What do I consider the "right direction"? Well, here's how I would craft NBA Live's comeback.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: Monday Tip-Off: Fixing NBA 2K's MyPLAYER Archetypes

Postby Andrew on Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:33 pm

December 5th, 2016: Fixing NBA 2K's MyPLAYER Archetypes

When the concept of MyPLAYER Archetypes was first announced for NBA 2K17, it struck me as being a very good idea. It seemed like a great solution to the issue of gamers creating maxed out 7'3" players, a practice that frequently upset the competitive balance in modes such as MyPARK and 2K Pro-Am. On top of injecting a little more realism into MyCAREER, MyPLAYER Archetypes seemed to be a logical answer to egregious min-maxing and gaming of the upgrade system in order to create overpowered players.

I maintain that it was a very good idea in theory, and something that should remain in future NBA 2K games. However, MyPLAYER Archetypes haven't been quite as effective in preserving competitive balance as I would have hoped, as some gamers are still creating cheesy players. Conversely, in other ways they're too restrictive, allowing for little variation between certain playing styles. Since we're in the thick of Wishlist season, I thought that I'd throw out a few ideas that could possibly improve MyPLAYER Archetypes in NBA 2K18 and beyond.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: Monday Tip-Off: Nothing's Coming Up THRILLHO

Postby Andrew on Mon Dec 12, 2016 4:41 pm

December 12th, 2016: Nothing's Coming Up THRILLHO

Yes, I'm going to talk about 2K Pro-Am again, and the ongoing attempts of NLSC THRILLHO to unlock logo importing. As I've mentioned in previous articles and on the NLSC Podcast, we've been enjoying the mode enough to get online for several sessions per week, but we've also had our fair share of frustrating moments. While we have to take responsibility for some of them - we've definitely made our fair share of mistakes, after all - there have been times when it's felt like the game is out to get us. Maybe it's the "NBA Live Series Center" text on our court; perhaps we should change that, if we want fairer treatment?

In all seriousness, I've made a point of saving clips of many of those moments, usually for the purposes of bug reports and Wishlist feedback. However, it's gotten to the point where I can put together a "Shaqtin' a Fool" type of reel, showcasing the times where NBA 2K17 made our jaws drop for all the wrong reasons. Since THRILLHO is a blatant reference to The Simpsons, it only made sense to title it after another memorable Milhouse quote. Without any further ado, please enjoy a highlight reel of the best of our worst, from bloopers to bugs, and several other frustrating and bizarre moments in between!

phpBB [video]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njW6E6CALB8
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: Monday Tip-Off: Enjoy Basketball Games the Way You Want

Postby Andrew on Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:10 pm

December 19th, 2016: Enjoy Basketball Games the Way You Want

Well, the holiday season is well and truly upon us! We’re just six days away from Christmas, and for many of us, the season brings us a chance to kick back and relax with friends and family. Being gamers, I’d suggest that many of us will also be spending a bit of time in front of a PC or console, enjoying some new releases and old favourites alike. In this community, that probably means playing a basketball title or two. I’ll be spending a few days away with friends over New Year’s, but when I do have some time to myself, you can be bet that I’ll be playing some virtual hoops.

As we gear up to play basketball video games during this holiday season, and in the year ahead, I want to put something out there for the community to consider. It may seem like I’m stating the obvious here, but considering how passionate we gamers can get about the hobby, I feel it’s worth mentioning from time to time. No matter what your skill level, preferred style of gameplay, or game mode of choice, please keep this in mind: you should enjoy basketball games the way that you want.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: Monday Tip-Off: 30 Shots from Mid-Court in NBA 2K17

Postby Andrew on Mon Dec 26, 2016 7:22 pm

December 26th, 2016: 30 Shots from Mid-Court in NBA 2K17

I hope that everyone is enjoying the holiday season, and managed to catch a couple of the Christmas Day games! As we wrap up the year here at the NLSC, I thought that I'd have some fun with this week's Monday Tip-Off, and set myself a challenge in NBA 2K17. While shooting around in MyCOURT, I attempted three sets of thirty three-pointers from mid-court: thirty using the Shoot Button, thirty with the Shot Stick down, and thirty with the Shot Stick up. With the relatively low three-point ratings of a Playmaker point guard, and no Limitless Range Badge to help me out, would I be able to knock down some really long bombs with any kind of consistency?

Let's take a look and find out just how many threes I was able to make from mid-court, and which method seemed to work best for me. Watch below, or tune in here over on our YouTube channel if you can't see the embedded video.

phpBB [video]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hp2PLGOOf50
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: Monday Tip-Off: Rethinking Basketball Game Reviews

Postby Andrew on Mon Jan 02, 2017 10:35 pm

January 2nd, 2017: Rethinking Basketball Game Reviews

Welcome to a new year of columns and other original content here at the NLSC! There should be plenty to talk about when it comes to basketball video games in 2017 as we continue to play NBA 2K17, await the release of NBA Live 17, and dust off old favourites from time to time. Whether it's sharing advice or tales of our basketball gaming experiences, discussing ideas for upcoming releases, or critiquing certain aspects of the games, there should be no shortage of topics of conversation in our community and elsewhere.

I'd like to tip things off this year by talking a little about one of those topics: critiquing basketball video games. As consumers who want to get value for our money and the most enjoyment possible out of basketball games, we do need to be able to look at them with a critical eye to identify issues that we want to see fixed, and aspects that we'd like to see improvement in. However, I also think that we should always try to improve the way that we critique basketball games, so that we can make the most of the contact we have with the developers at EA Sports and Visual Concepts. Of course, I'd like to see professional reviews improve as well.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: Monday Tip-Off: Do We Still Have Fun with Basketball Games?

Postby Andrew on Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:00 pm

January 9th, 2017: Do We Still Have Fun with Basketball Games?

If you're reading this, chances are you're a fan of basketball video games. It's what we cover here at the NLSC, so unless you're a Forum veteran who's mostly sticking around for the chatter in the off-topic sections, basketball gaming is probably why you're (hopefully!) visiting us on a regular basis. And if content related to basketball video games is what you're after, then it's quite likely that you're very much into the hobby. In short, it's probably safe to say that most of us around these parts are having fun with basketball games, in one way or another.

Or are we? Discussions about a game's problems seem to have more steam than topics talking about how much fun we're having. There are times when it seems that most of the conversations that aren't related to modding are concerned with troubleshooting and complaints. Those are obviously valid and important issues to talk about, of course, but I do wonder why we're not as eager to talk about our more positive experiences with hoops titles. As such, there are times when I think it's fair to ask: do we still have fun with basketball games?
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Dee4Three on Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:51 am

Andrew wrote:January 9th, 2017: Do We Still Have Fun with Basketball Games?

If you're reading this, chances are you're a fan of basketball video games. It's what we cover here at the NLSC, so unless you're a Forum veteran who's mostly sticking around for the chatter in the off-topic sections, basketball gaming is probably why you're (hopefully!) visiting us on a regular basis. And if content related to basketball video games is what you're after, then it's quite likely that you're very much into the hobby. In short, it's probably safe to say that most of us around these parts are having fun with basketball games, in one way or another.

Or are we? Discussions about a game's problems seem to have more steam than topics talking about how much fun we're having. There are times when it seems that most of the conversations that aren't related to modding are concerned with troubleshooting and complaints. Those are obviously valid and important issues to talk about, of course, but I do wonder why we're not as eager to talk about our more positive experiences with hoops titles. As such, there are times when I think it's fair to ask: do we still have fun with basketball games?

I agree, and this is my biggest problem on the forums. I will complain from time to time, and talk about issues that could be considered game breaking. But the constant barrage of complaints about petty things, it gets old. But, PC users are also spoiled with the ability to modify the games, and a lot of the complaints that take place only happen because PC users know that most cosmetic issues can be solved with modding. Whether it be body types, jersey accuracy, face accuracy, lighting, etc. If the ability to mod didn't exist, more people would accept the game for what it is.

I hope they always release a PC version of the game, because I will never go back to console if that's the case. But I do wish that more people (including myself, mind you) could just sit down and jump right into playing, instead of always complaining or trying to improve.
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Check out my YouTube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvHJXrqit8Dc6HBY5P6EmAA

Follow me on Twitter

https://twitter.com/Dee4Three84
Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:34 am

Our expectations are much higher these days, so it's only natural to some extent. I'd definitely like to see some more conversations centred around our enjoyment of the game, in addition to critique (which as I said, we shouldn't stifle or anything).
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby [Q] on Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:29 pm

I'll admit I don't enjoy the games as much as I used to. I used to buy basketball games every year, but I took a break between Live 10 and Live 15. After Live 15, which was actually a pretty fun game, I was a bit disappointed with the Live 16 demo and wound up playing 2k16 when it was given to us for free. It was pretty cool playing my first 2K game since 2K7 to see how far they've come with basketball video games, but I had no desire to play regular games online. I got roped into improving my player by grinding in the career mode and played online occasionally in the park and with the guys here for pro-am which was the most fun I had playing the game. It's funny to see what I love about basketball games change from modding and playing alone to playing online cooperatively with others.
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:42 pm

Agreed. Even though I do want to get into a MyLEAGUE game, it's interesting how I've gravitated towards MyCAREER in recent years, and certainly 2K Pro-Am, seeing as how I'm traditionally not a big online gamer.

The grinding aspects of modern basketball games definitely isn't as fun, and the alternative of microtransactions isn't something I'm a fan of either (even though I've done it to avoid the grind).
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: Monday Tip-Off: Would I Nintendo Switch?

Postby Andrew on Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:13 pm

January 16th, 2017: Would I Nintendo Switch?

Last week, the gaming community learned more about the Nintendo Switch, which is scheduled for release worldwide on March 3rd, 2017. Of particular interest to those of us in the basketball gaming community, we learned that Visual Concepts will be releasing NBA 2K18 for the console in September this year. The announcement reflects the general increase in third party support that has been pledged for the Switch, after several developers abandoned the Wii U very quickly. As you may recall, NBA 2K13 was the first and only basketball game Visual Concepts released for the Wii U, and the last NBA 2K title released on the original Wii.

With the Nintendo Switch being a hybrid portable and home console, and gaining the support of third party developers, it's certainly generating a lot of interest and discussion ahead of its launch. With the confirmation that NBA 2K18 will be released for the Switch, it might be a viable option for basketball gamers who haven't yet invested in a PlayStation 4 or Xbox One, and don't have a suitable gaming PC. With that in mind, is the Nintendo Switch something that I'm personally interested in, either instead of or in addition to the gaming platforms that I currently own?
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: Monday Tip-Off: The Lure of Roster Modding

Postby Andrew on Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:56 pm

January 23rd, 2017: The Lure of Roster Modding

It's been almost four years since I released my last current roster updates for NBA Live 2005 through 08. Although I've dabbled with beta versions of a fictional league roster and an Ultimate Jordan roster - and I would like to return to those projects at some point - it would seem that my days of working on the rosters and other big modding projects are getting further and further behind me. That's not to say that I won't continue to release work here and there, or that I'm completely done with modding, but right now, I'd have to say that I think I'm done with regular current season roster updates.

I'm phrasing it that way because I wouldn't want to say that I'm definitely, unquestionably done, at least until I get to a point in my life where being involved in modding simply isn't feasible. While I don't want to give the impression that any announcements or releases are imminent, doing some more work with rosters is something that I wouldn't want to rule out completely. As tiresome as the process can be, as much as it can become a chore, I can't deny that as someone who has worked on such projects for many years, the lure of roster modding is often strong.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: Monday Tip-Off: All-Star Disappointment in NBA 2K17's MyCAREER

Postby Andrew on Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:37 pm

January 30th, 2017: All-Star Disappointment in NBA 2K17's MyCAREER

As I briefly described here in the Forum, I had a rather unfortunate experience in my NBA 2K17 MyCAREER game last week. The All-Star Weekend didn't exactly finish with a bang, thanks to a rather nasty glitch that I feared might have messed up my MyCAREER save in more ways than I originally anticipated. Combined with some disappointment in the Slam Dunk Contest, it's fair to say that the All-Star Weekend didn't turn out to be one of the highlights of my NBA 2K17 MyCAREER thus far. As such, I thought that I'd talk a little bit more about it in this week's Monday Tip-Off.

Spoiler alert: I will be talking about a development in the story that happens a considerable way into MyCAREER. It's not exactly a plot point on the level of Tyler Durden, Dr. Malcolm Crowe, or even Luke Skywalker's parentage - though I guess those twists are actually all common knowledge now, anyway - but out of respect to those who'd like to let the story reveal itself, I figure it's only appropriate to offer a heads up. It's also something else that kind of bugged me, so I definitely wanted to touch upon it. With that said, here's how the 2017 All-Star Weekend went down for me in MyCAREER.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: Monday Tip-Off: Is the Future of Modding In-Game?

Postby Andrew on Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:33 pm

February 6th, 2017: Is the Future of Modding In-Game?

TGsoGood offered up an interesting question in the Forum a couple of weeks ago, concerning the current state of modding. He noted that while modding has always had its ups and downs, the hobby is not quite what it used to be, at least for the most recent releases. While modders have been a little more active so far this year, and the tools and resources at their disposal are the best they've been since the PC started receiving the same version of NBA 2K as the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One, as TGsoGood alluded to, we're not finding ourselves in a new golden era of modding.

With that being said, there are plenty of users who are customising NBA 2K17. As TGsoGood also pointed out, gamers are making great use of the team rebranding and roster customisation options to create a variety of modifications that are distributed through the in-game sharing facilities. Therefore, the question before us is this: is the future of modding in-game? Since Arcane and Kenny aren't involved with the modding scene, I decided that I'd tackle the issue in this week's Monday Tip-Off, rather than on the NLSC Podcast.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: Monday Tip-Off: Pro Stick vs. Shoot Button in NBA 2K (Part 2)

Postby Andrew on Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:53 pm

February 13th, 2017: Pro Stick vs. Shoot Button in NBA 2K (Part 2)

A few months back, I discussed the pros and cons of the Pro Stick and Shoot Button in NBA 2K, and my preference for using the button. Since the changes to the shooting mechanics in NBA 2K17 had just been announced, I noted that I'd be open to changing my approach, depending on the precision that was required when using the Pro Stick, and whether or not it offered a noticeable advantage. I also mentioned that I was more inclined to use the Pro Stick for shots in the paint, because of the ability to perform floaters and other elusive shots on cue, as well as have more control over dunk and layup animations.

NBA 2K17 has been out for about five months now, and has received eleven official patches, as well as several tuning updates. With all the gameplay tweaks, and having tried out more than a couple of different jumpshot animations for my MyPLAYER, there have been plenty of variables as I've experimented with both methods of shooting the basketball. I expect to be playing NBA 2K17 for several months yet, so the experiment is ongoing. As I look ahead to future NBA 2K releases, I must admit that my mind isn't completely made up about which method I favour, and the direction that the controls and shooting mechanics should take.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: Monday Tip-Off: MyCAREER's Funniest Text Message

Postby Andrew on Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:48 pm

February 20th, 2017: MyCAREER's Funniest Text Message

I realise that not everyone is fan of the virtual Twitter and text messaging in NBA 2K17's MyCAREER. For some people, it's a pointless annoyance, an unnecessary addition that has nothing to do with gameplay or replicating the experience of being an NBA player. I can certainly understand that point of view, but I have to admit, I kind of like it. For me, it contributes to the immersive nature and world building aspects of MyCAREER, making the mode seem more alive with something that's very prominent in the real world. Beyond that, of course, some of the messages and Tweets are actually pretty funny...though not always for the right reasons.

There's unquestionably a lot of intentional humour in MyCAREER's text messages and Tweets. Certain Tweets represent (with painful accuracy) some of the less intelligent things that we basketball fans are prone to putting out there on social media. There's in-jokes, banter with other players, and texts that add minor plot points to the background storyline. There are supportive Tweets from Leftos, which I always enjoy. And then, there are the text messages that are just plain weird, and most likely glitched. That's the type of message I'm sharing with you today.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: Monday Tip-Off: The Mixed Bag of CPU Teammates in 2K Pro-Am

Postby Andrew on Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:55 pm

February 27th, 2017: The Mixed Bag of CPU Teammates in 2K Pro-Am

As the artificial intelligence in basketball video games has become more sophisticated, CPU-controlled teammates have thankfully become much more reliable. That's not to say that there aren't any frustrating moments where they seemingly forget how to play basketball, but compared to early hoops titles, there's less of a need to frantically switch control of players and take charge of everything yourself. Needless to say, if you're locked to controlling a single player - as is the basis of modes such as MyCAREER and 2K Pro-Am - it's even more important that CPU-controlled teammates are competent.

Barring a connection problem, you'll never start a game of 2K Pro-Am with more than two AI players. If you consistently run with a full squad of five players, they'll seldom be an issue at all unless someone fouls out, or is booted due to a low teammate grade. However, if you frequently jump online to play 2K Pro-Am, chances are you'll deal with a CPU-controlled teammate at some point. It's at that point you'll discover that although AI in basketball games has come a long way, the quality of your CPU teammates is still very much a mixed bag.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: Monday Tip-Off: Got Next Gotta Go in MyPARK

Postby Andrew on Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:29 pm

March 6th, 2017: Got Next Gotta Go in MyPARK

Along with the other members of NLSC THRILLHO, I've been finding 2K Pro-Am a little more frustrating than usual lately. The most recent patch opened up matchmaking across different tiers, which results in more games, but also frequently matches us up against Elite level teams who are more serious about online gaming, or have achieved that status through cheesy builds. We've still had some enjoyable games, but a few tough nights, combined with rising frustration with some of NBA 2K17's issues, have encouraged us to head to MyPARK instead. After an enjoyable experience with Park After Dark #3, it's something we'll probably do more often.

Even though I generally prefer five-on-five gameplay with NBA rules, the streetball approach of MyPARK is a fun change of pace. I like the more casual atmosphere, and when there's only three of us online, a three-on-three game without AI players of questionable skill level feels like a more streamlined experience. I find that I'm less frustrated, perhaps because even though I do want to win and we do compete, losses don't seem to sting as much in shorter games. However, there is one frustrating element of MyPARK, and it's something that's always bothered me about the mode: Got Next. For me, Got Next gotta go.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: Monday Tip-Off: Pro Stick vs. Shoot Button in NBA 2K (Part 3)

Postby Andrew on Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:51 pm

March 13th, 2017: Pro Stick vs. Shoot Button in NBA 2K (Part 3)

It's only been a few weeks since I revisited this topic, but there's been a change in my approach, and a noticeable difference in the results. As you may recall from my previous articles, I've tended to stick to using the Shoot Button for jumpshots, while using the Pro Stick for dunks and layups, as well as free throw shooting and moves such as floaters. Given my long history with the NBA Live series, I've always felt more comfortable using the right stick for dribbling moves, and sliding my thumb across to the face buttons when it comes time to attempt a shot.

As I said though, my habits have changed over the course of the past month. After spending more time using the Pro Stick, I've found that I'm using it almost exclusively. Apart from the odd moment where old habits will break through, or when I trust the game to pick a contextually appropriate dunk or layup animation, I'm using the Pro Stick for almost all of my shot attempts. And you know something? Jumpshots in particular have never felt easier.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: Monday Tip-Off: Year One Done in NBA 2K17's MyCAREER

Postby Andrew on Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:57 am

March 20th, 2017: Year One Done in NBA 2K17's MyCAREER

Over the weekend, I finally wrapped up my first season of MyCAREER in NBA 2K17. As much as I've been enjoying it, I was ready for it to be over and done with, mostly because I was really looking forward to my plans for the second season and beyond. Playing through every game on twelve minute quarters, only occasionally simulating to the end as the regular season reached its final weeks, turned out to be quite a grind. The postseason freshened up the experience a bit, but I was still eager to start the next chapter.

Playing through the Western Conference Finals and NBA Finals over the course of Saturday evening and afternoon, I was able to bring my rookie campaign to a fitting conclusion, and start looking ahead to new challenges. All in all, it's been the most positive experience I've had in MyCAREER since NBA 2K13, so as I begin my sophomore campaign, I thought that I'd reflect on my rookie season and first foray into virtual free agency in this year's game.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: Monday Tip-Off: The Basketball Gaming Grind

Postby Andrew on Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:40 pm

March 27th, 2017: The Basketball Gaming Grind

As much as we enjoy basketball gaming around these parts, I don't think many of us would argue that it isn't a grind at times. Whether it's playing through a full NBA season, building a collection of quality cards in the team building modes, or turning our avatars into superstars, it's a lengthy process. This is especially true if you're playing with full length quarters. The obvious solution is to set shorter quarter lengths, and make use of the simulation function in modes where it's available, but for various reasons, those options aren't always desirable. Even if you do streamline the experience, the chances of burnout are high.

That's because we pack so much basketball gaming into a single year, in order to get the most out of a title before the next one is released. With other genres of video games, you can generally take your time, and discover the replay value at your leisure. Most games can easily be finished in a much shorter time than it takes to complete one full season playing on twelve minute quarters. Even if you do feel as though you've had a full and satisfactory experience with a basketball game, within a year you'll be starting from scratch and having to do it all over again. The question is: what changes could be made so that basketball games feel like less of a grind?
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

PreviousNext

Return to Featured Content & Community Noticeboard