CIV VI

Other video games, TV shows, movies, general chit-chat...this is an all-purpose off-topic board where you can talk about anything that doesn't have its own dedicated section.

CIV VI

Postby [Q] on Thu May 12, 2016 4:41 pm

Holy shit
phpBB [video]

I stopped playing 5 because I valued my free time and didn't feel like getting into the expansion packs... But I might give this one a look. I've been playing since Civ II so I love the series, but damn it takes up so much time
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Re: CIV VI

Postby benji on Fri May 13, 2016 5:03 pm

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/ ... eplay.aspx
“We want players to adjust and think on their feet in Civ VI. We didn’t want there to be a standard playbook or recipe on how to get through it, from tech tree to policy,” Beach adds. “We always saw discussions about dominant strategies, like, 'Get the Great Library and go into these policy trees and build this way.' We built a game with so many options, but so much of the community is playing it this same way with the same pattern, and we want to shake that up and adjust to the map and leaders they are faced with to come up with other solutions, to rethink their strategic approaches every time they play the game.”

The team laid out the plan for three key core mechanics changes that will drive more dynamic gameplay in Civilization VI.

The first is “unstacking the cities. With cities getting filled with all kinds of buildings, wonders, and other things over time, the gameplay is changing by moving some of these buildings out onto the map. This concept is called districts, and these are pieces of your city that would traditionally be nested inside your city being pushed out up to three tiles away.

“For instance, let’s take the science district,” Beach says. “This is a prerequisite to building science buildings. What’s going to happen is that the exact tile you choose to place that district will be an important decision, as scientists will work better in different tiles. So tiles with more lifeforms like rain forests or something on a mountain to observe the stars would be more valuable. We have 12 different kinds of districts you can place around your city. They require a certain amount of population, so you are going to have to make choices about what kind of districts to build based on what resources you have available.”

The second is the active research system. This will change up the way players approach the tech tree by offering massive bonuses toward specific research based on other variables in the game, pushing players away from going into a game with a set path of tech that they always progress down for the optimal game build. Players can still research whatever they like, but a new boost system will likely change your progression path from game to game.

“Let’s take masonry. In order to do masonry well you need the type of materials to put together for walls or pyramids or whatever,” Beach says. “So if you’re in the middle of a grassland and there’s no stone around, it’s going to be tough for you to be really good at masonry. So if you can find a resource like that, like a quarry, as soon as it’s up and operational, we unlock a boost toward masonry, which will give you 50 percent of the cost for that technology. Similarly, this will work for say maritime technology for setting up on the coast. If you’re on the coast putting in the time on those areas, you’re now getting bonuses for those technologies. That part of the tech tree will naturally unlock for you as a result of the boost.”

“A lot of it is based on the map and what’s around you,” Darney says. “So it changes each game.”

Third is diplomacy, a constant hot topic in the Civilization series. A big focus here is how the A.I. will react and relate to the player. The leaders in Civilization VI will play differently based on their own personalities and not just based on how the player interacts with them – they have their own specific agendas.

“Every leader is assigned one historical agenda based on something they did while ruling their nation in actual history,” Beach explains. “Let’s take a leader who built a whole bunch of wonders. In our universe, that leader is going to feel like he’s better than anyone else in world history at building wonders, and that should be reflected every time they are in a Civilization game. Wonder obsessed. So that civilization will get a bonus toward building wonders, but they also get an obsessive personality where he will get angry if anyone else is building more wonders than they are. So you might have a strategy where you always go for Stonehenge and Hanging Gardens so you grab those right away. If this guy is next to you and he sees you doing this, he’s going to be up in arms and invading your borders."

Leaders will also have a hidden agenda that will be assigned to them that will change from game to game, so even if you know the opposing leader's core personality, you have to discover additional, dynamic traits if you want your political agendas to progress smoothly.

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2016/0 ... i-details/
benji

Postby shadowgrin on Fri May 13, 2016 10:26 pm

Gandhi slept naked with his underages nieces. Dynamic trait right there.

You're welcome.
HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
JaoSming2KTV wrote:its fun on a bun
shadowgrin
Doesn't negotiate with terrorists. NLSC's Jefferson Davis. The Questioneer

Postby NovU on Mon May 16, 2016 2:26 pm

Sounds like the series is becoming realistic and more complex. I wouldn't have minded simplicity as always but still looks like it'll be a very interesting game. Last civ game had me occupied for several weeks, I will probably give this one a look.
THX TO DOPE-JAO FOR THE SPECIAL SIG! <3
Enjoy! <3 Jao
NovU
Crap, what am I going to brag about now?

Postby Andrew on Mon May 16, 2016 4:43 pm

I still feel the Pirates! series is Sid Meier's greatest creation.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby NovU on Tue May 17, 2016 11:28 pm

I disagree though I thoroughly enjoyed that game. Im all nostalgic so I will say the first civ deserves the crown.

Didnt pirates have that time constraint where game ends prematurely if you dont finish the main plot line within time frame. Also having the crew retired after a few trips then having to recruit them all again, kinda limited the freedom imo. Nonetheless it was the best pirate theme game I have played.
THX TO DOPE-JAO FOR THE SPECIAL SIG! <3
Enjoy! <3 Jao
NovU
Crap, what am I going to brag about now?

Postby Andrew on Wed May 18, 2016 8:47 am

The original games didn't have a plot per se, but the older you became, the closer you were to being forced to retire. Taking the Medicine skill did prolong your career, however. You'd have to recruit a new crew for every new voyage, not unlike real pirates and privateers in those days. If you achieved a high level of fame though, you'd build up a big crew again very quickly.

The 2004 remake is kind of the same - there's a bit more of a plot, while still being very open world sandbox, with a side quest related to your backstory - but it's a bit more forgiving about when you have to divide the plunder, which ends a voyage and risks having to retire (if you're getting to that age). In fact, if you handle your crew's happiness and keep prolonging the voyage in the 2004 version, you can actually keep playing until your character is several hundred years old.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby benji on Tue Nov 29, 2016 8:15 pm

lots of awesome, lots of weird, lots of unfinished here

so standard Civ cycle

should be amazing by the final expansion
benji

Postby [Q] on Wed Nov 30, 2016 3:59 pm

I like the way the game is set up. Really digging the cities getting spread out over multiple tiles. Adds an extra layer of strategy and city planning.

Victories (especially cultural & religious) were not explained well at all. After my first play through as Russia, I feel like I had a lot of fun winning via space race (the way I have always won in previous games), and felt like there was still something missing. I don't know what it is, but it definitely feels like a Civ game, but not sure what else it needs as of yet.
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby diamenz on Thu Dec 01, 2016 3:03 pm

civ 6 blew me away. it could be the newness of it, or the fact that i was stoned throughout the 6 hour marathon and still brely managed to scratch the surface of the game. it's so deep, and so cerebral. if long, drawn out turn based strategy is you, then this is the perfect game.
diamenz

Postby [Q] on Sat Dec 03, 2016 1:37 pm

I was definitely in awe of the newness of it like you said but after I figured it out and learned how to play, it feels complete and incomplete at the same time.
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Return to Off-Topic