NBA2K17 PC Frame Rate Drops - found a fix for Nvidia GPU's - new finding!!!

Talk about NBA 2K17 here.

Re: NBA2K17 PC Frame Rate Drops - found a fix for Nvidia GPU's - new finding!!!

Postby BronBron06 on Sun Nov 20, 2016 9:17 pm

On my end, I dropped MSAA from 8 to 4
No more stutter, steady 60 fps, maybe 8 is just too much.

Also FAST_TEXTURE_FORMAT_CONVERSION = 1 crashed my game, changed it back to 0
BronBron06

Postby I Hate Mondays on Sun Nov 20, 2016 11:49 pm

BronBron06 wrote:On my end, I dropped MSAA from 8 to 4

MMSAA set to 4 gives me 60fps gameplay, but during cutscenes it drops to like 30 fps or lower. This is not a fix :(
I Hate Mondays

Postby dreamagain on Mon Nov 21, 2016 3:39 am

I hate Mondays wrote:

MMSAA set to 4 gives me 60fps gameplay, but during cutscenes it drops to like 30 fps or lower. This is not a fix :(

i assume u have dynamic refresh rate or whatever turned off?
dreamagain

Postby I Hate Mondays on Mon Nov 21, 2016 3:47 am

dreamagain wrote:
I hate Mondays wrote:

Yup. Should I turn it on?
I Hate Mondays

Postby dreamagain on Tue Nov 22, 2016 6:15 am

I hate Mondays wrote:
dreamagain wrote:
I hate Mondays wrote:

Yup. Should I turn it on?

No, turning it on makes it so all cut scenes go down to 30fps for whatever reason. For that cinematic experience I guess *console user logic*.
dreamagain

Postby I Hate Mondays on Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:12 pm

Jay-R, any improvements after the latest patch (1.06)? I've just tried MSAA x8 and there is still a lot of fps drops but IMO, it is better than last time. Could be placebo though. Back to 0 for me :(
I Hate Mondays

Postby jay-r on Tue Nov 22, 2016 11:27 pm

I hate Mondays wrote:Jay-R, any improvements after the latest patch (1.06)? I've just tried MSAA x8 and there is still a lot of fps drops but IMO, it is better than last time. Could be placebo though. Back to 0 for me :(

I hate Mondays,
I will check it out later this evening, but currently I am continuing to run the game with my first post settings and its been flawless ever since I found the MSAA setting issue. I have tried the suggested settings by others like the option to set FPS cap (awful performance) and "FAST_TEXTURE_FORMAT_CONVERSION", but none of those have given any improvement.

For instance, settings posted by Phreak50 are very different in their core. For example, Windomode is the culprit/the Main Setting at least in my book "How to achieve stutter-less game-play in NBA 2k17" . He has it @0, which if remember correctly is simple FullScreen mode (don't have the nba 2k17 video setting vocabulary file with me (i am at work)), which at least on my system was causing stuttering all over the place, especially during passing which makes the game unplayable. Moreover, at least on my system, Vsync set to ON in nvidia CP seems to cause more input lag, than the combination -> NVIDIA CP "Vsync - Use the 3D application setting"; in game video setting "Vsync - ON", therefore these settings are kind inapplicable to my combination of settings.
jay-r

Postby I Hate Mondays on Wed Nov 23, 2016 12:26 am

The game runs perfectly @ MSAA set to 0 for me, but I can really tell the edges are very ugly, just as you'd expect from a game with AA set to 0. This game has the potential to be very beautiful, but not with MSAA set to 0. I do have a GTX 970 FTW which in my oppinoin is arguably the best 970. I should be able to run the game maxed out but who knows. Maybe my video card is outdated. So a guy like you with a GTX 980 TI or 1080 should be the one deciding if the problem is on my end or 2k's end. If after the last update you can't switch to MSAA 8 yourself, it means that the fix is not here yet and there is still hope for my GTX 970
I Hate Mondays

Postby elsoulas on Wed Nov 23, 2016 3:31 am

Andrew have you contacted 2K about the stuttering issue? I am addressing you because you said that youintended to do so.
elsoulas

Postby xerion on Wed Nov 23, 2016 7:12 am

I've been running on in-game 8x MSAA since the start and haven't had any issue, 60 FPS pretty much everywhere. All on max, shaders on ultra. Nvidia CP settings on quality, AA 8x.

Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 + i7 6700k
xerion

Postby jay-r on Wed Nov 23, 2016 10:13 am

I hate Mondays wrote:Jay-R, any improvements after the latest patch (1.06)? I've just tried MSAA x8 and there is still a lot of fps drops but IMO, it is better than last time. Could be placebo though. Back to 0 for me :(

Yes, there are improvements. With every other setting intact I raised MSAA from 0 to 4 and in all scenarios in which stuttering was evident previously is not there (cutscenes after foul is made, during some replays, dunk show during half-time). Dunk show at halftime is actually the easiest way to spot/see how MSAA settings affects the game. Previously it stuttered even with MSAA @4. Now it longer stutters there or elsewhere. Did not have time to test out MSAA @8. Tommorow or after tomorrow. Settings have been updated in the first post.
jay-r

Postby I Hate Mondays on Wed Nov 23, 2016 7:08 pm

jay-r wrote:

Yes, there are improvements. With every other setting intact I raised MSAA from 0 to 4 and in all scenarios in which stuttering was evident previously is not there (cutscenes after foul is made, during some replays, dunk show during half-time). Dunk show at halftime is actually the easiest way to spot/see how MSAA settings affects the game. Previously it stuttered even with MSAA @4. Now it longer stutters there or elsewhere. Did not have time to test out MSAA @8. Tommorow or after tomorrow. Settings have been updated in the first post.

Great! have to try MSAA set to 4 then. Looking for your feedback on 8 MSAA
I Hate Mondays

Postby dyopopoy on Wed Nov 23, 2016 8:11 pm

Yes there was a LITTLE Improvement.
I have my Crowd now at High (it was Medium before) :D

Tried increasing my MSAA from 2 to 4 , nah, still stuttering.
At MSAA-2 i have constant 60fps. but at 4, it goes down to 54,55, 56,57,58 when someone takes a jumpshot. not acceptable. i want constant 60. :D

bottomline, there was VERY LITTLE Improvement.
Dyop Dyop Youtube Channel to download mods.
dyopopoy
Dyop Dyop Youtube Channel Creator

Postby Phreak50 on Wed Nov 23, 2016 9:26 pm

No change here. VSync off and Vsync on, same results. Could be my system was already maxing it at 60fps so hopefully anyone with lower specs will see improvements.
Phreak50

Postby elsoulas on Wed Nov 23, 2016 9:53 pm

OK msaa 4 works great now. Btw jayr we ve got pretty much the same specs. Will try 8x later tonight.
elsoulas

Postby jay-r on Wed Nov 23, 2016 11:10 pm

elsoulas wrote:OK msaa 4 works great now. Btw jayr we ve got pretty much the same specs. Will try 8x later tonight.

By the way, I am in between windows 10 and 7. The latest result -> MSAA@4 with no stuttering was achieved same hardware but on windows 7 x64 to which I will be sticking to unless some game specifically demands DX12. Now I am going back to Windows 7 x64 for some other reasons (mainly because of Aero Glass which I greatly miss on W10 and http://www.glass8.eu/ does not really give me the same effect). I would not say that performance is any better on w7, but I just wanted to clarify this ;). To me W7 in all areas seems lighter than w10 and I cannot cope with a OS that has nonsense like similar/repeating settings in 2 places (Settings + Control Panel..wtf ? stick to one) and other nonsense like those intrusive settings that you cannot change unless you really dig into it..
jay-r

Postby elsoulas on Thu Nov 24, 2016 12:25 am

I am on 10 jay r. I will be posting my 8X msaa findings soon.
UPDATE
Guys unfortunately 8X causes stuttering. 2K should do something about it now. It's at their hands.
elsoulas

Postby I Hate Mondays on Thu Nov 24, 2016 5:17 am

elsoulas wrote:I am on 10 jay r. I will be posting my 8X msaa findings soon.
UPDATE
Guys unfortunately 8X causes stuttering. 2K should do something about it now. It's at their hands.

It's not like it's the end of November, lol. They sure do like to take their time. Last year they started asking for PC specs from guys who had stuttering around the middle of OCTOBER. I just hope it gets solved by the end of 2016, in January they usually assign most of their people for the upcomming game (2K18 in our situation).
I Hate Mondays

Postby jay-r on Thu Nov 24, 2016 5:52 am

UPDATE

Yep, same here. x8 is not an option, yet. Stutters like crazy in the mentioned situations. Actually today I am also seeing a bit of stuttering @4x now, but its definitely better. I think I might even try MSAA @2 (in game) with forced Enhanced AA through Nvidia CP somewhat similar to what Phreak50 has done although my observation after tons of hours of nba 2k is that nvidia CP forced settings like for instance Enhanced AA has almost zero effect on 2k games and performance improves when selecting the option "Use the 3D application setting" / "Application controlled", basically game engine plays smoother when you don't mess with it/force an unknown video option on its engine.
jay-r

Postby I Hate Mondays on Thu Nov 24, 2016 6:27 am

jay-r wrote:
UPDATE

Yep, same here. x8 is not an option, yet. Stutters like crazy in the mentioned situations. Actually today I am also seeing a bit of stuttering @4x now, but its definitely better. I think I might even try MSAA @2 (in game) with forced Enhanced AA through Nvidia CP somewhat similar to what Phreak50 has done although my observation after tons of hours of nba 2k is that nvidia CP forced settings like for instance Enhanced AA has almost zero effect on 2k games and performance improves when selecting the option "Use the 3D application setting" / "Application controlled", basically game engine plays smoother when you don't mess with it/force an unknown video option on its engine.

Just do your thing and keep us updated, jay-r, we are all thankful. MSAA set to 4 is ok for me too, just tried it.
I Hate Mondays

Postby jay-r on Thu Nov 24, 2016 7:08 am

I hate Mondays wrote:Just do your thing and keep us updated, jay-r, we are all thankful. MSAA set to 4 is ok for me too, just tried it.

;)

You cant imagine how many times have I quit the game right after halftime (right after ultimate stutter test called "Dunk fest at the halftime") looking for that ideal combination :D at least for first months out i spend more time experimenting with settings/quitting early than actually playing the game :D

I hate settling for half ass performance if my rig is more than capable of running any game title maxed out.

#NeverSettle
jay-r

Postby elsoulas on Fri Nov 25, 2016 1:45 am

Btw jayr I don't think MFAA is any longer needed through nvidia cp. I am on 8X ingame aa with no to minor cutscene stuttering. Gameplay is smooth imho.
elsoulas

Postby elsoulas on Fri Nov 25, 2016 6:26 am

MAJOR BREAKTHROUGH
D3D_INTERNAL_THREADING_OPTIMIZATIONS = 0

With this set to 0 I can play everything maxed out, with some stuttering on cutscenes!!!
Moreover, no need for FULL SCREEN WINDOWED MODE
These are my config settings:
WIDTH = 2560
HEIGHT = 1440
REFRESHRATE = 60.0
BUFFERCOUNT = 3
VSYNC = 1
DYNAMIC_VSYNC = 0
LETTERBOX = 0
UI_ASPECT = 1
CURSOR_IDLE_TIME = 5
WINDOWMODE = 0
WINDOW_X = -2147483648
WINDOW_Y = -2147483648
MSAA = 8
MSAAQUALITY = 0
SSAA = 0
REFLECTIONS = 1
MONITOR = 0
MAXANISOTROPY = 16
ALLOW_BLURRY_UI = 0
TEXTURELOD = 0
PLAYERLOD = 0
MEDIAPEOPLELOD = 0
CROWDLOD = 0
SHADERLOD = 0
EFFECTLOD = 0
COLOR_CORRECTION = 1
DEPTH_OF_FIELD = 1
SSAO = 1
ENHANCEDAA = 1
BLOOM = 1
MOTION_BLUR = 1
VOLUMETRIC_EFFECTS = 1
ALLOW_COMPUTE_SHADERS = 1
VIBRATION = 0.0
ABOVE_NORMAL_PRIORITY = 1
FAST_TEXTURE_FORMAT_CONVERSION = 0
DYNAMIC_ENVIRONMENT_MAP = 1
JIT_SHADER_CREATE = 0
elsoulas

Postby jay-r on Sat Nov 26, 2016 12:31 am

elsoulas wrote:MAJOR BREAKTHROUGH
With this set to 0 I can play everything maxed out, with some stuttering on cutscenes!!!

Can't wait to try it out, especially seeing that you are rocking my settings all the way. GTX 1080?
jay-r

Postby elsoulas on Sat Nov 26, 2016 1:02 am

jay-r wrote:
elsoulas wrote:MAJOR BREAKTHROUGH

Can't wait to try it out, especially seeing that you are rocking my settings all the way. GTX 1080?

Actually, GTX 1070.
elsoulas

PreviousNext

Return to NBA 2K17