The Knicks Thread....

Like real basketball, as well as basketball video games? Talk about the NBA, NCAA, and other professional and amateur basketball leagues here.

Re: The Knicks Thread....

Postby Valor on Sun Oct 30, 2016 2:16 am

Jeffx wrote:The bottom line is, the front office should not be dictating what offense the coach should run. That's ridiculous......where do you see that in the NBA or any other other league?

Miami. Pat Riley pretty much controls everything.
Valor
Fire GarPax

Postby PeacemanNOT on Sun Oct 30, 2016 3:00 pm

That was a questionable game... great to get a win on the board I guess.
Donate if you'd like to:
Paypal - https://paypal.me/PeacemanNOT
PeacemanNOT
Useless Member
Contributor

Postby Jeffx on Sun Oct 30, 2016 11:23 pm

They looked much better last night. I hope Noah can stay healthy, because he's just what we need. Porzingis needs to call for the ball more - he can be a monster. Carmelo, quit with the jab-stepping and get the kid the f-ing ball. Like Clyde said, you can't be stagnant.

Great seeing the old Knicks at halftime.....of course only Clyde can get away wearing those outrageous suits.
Jeffx

Postby Jeffx on Thu Nov 03, 2016 11:27 pm

Quote from Courtney Lee:

"We run the triangle, we practice against it a lot. I think we need to practice against pick and rolls, practice against other looks and whatnot and get comfortable with that because that's what other teams are running."

That's a serious indictment of Phil Jackson. And what the hell is Jackson doing instructing players during practice? He's not the coach.

Typical Knicks circus. Another year of being a joke. This franchise is a f-n waste.
Jeffx

Postby Valor on Sat Nov 05, 2016 12:13 pm

Jeffx wrote:Quote from Courtney Lee:

"We run the triangle, we practice against it a lot. I think we need to practice against pick and rolls, practice against other looks and whatnot and get comfortable with that because that's what other teams are running."

That's a serious indictment of Phil Jackson. And what the hell is Jackson doing instructing players during practice? He's not the coach.

Typical Knicks circus. Another year of being a joke. This franchise is a f-n waste.

Watching the Knicks-Bulls game right now. They aren't even running triangle. Maybe a shade of it here and there with post entry and cut concepts but it's just a bloody mess mostly and they go back to pick and roll anyways. (And when they do run some of it and move the ball around properly they got wide open jumpshots) Maybe that's the problem? Players not knowing what they are doing because they don't understand it? No offense but if this is the case why can't Jackson come down from his office and giving tips? He IS the most knowledgeable man alive outside of Tex Winter when we are talking about the triangle offense...

Honestly, if he was so adamant about running a pure triangle, he wouldn't have hired Hornacek. Give the guy some slack mate, you are sounding like Stephen A Smith here. Just sayin
Valor
Fire GarPax

Postby air gordon on Sat Nov 05, 2016 11:46 pm

My sig awaits , MP3

Fine game by the visitors last nite
Jump.
Scott Skiles answer to the question on how Eddy Curry can become a better rebounder
air gordon

Postby Jeffx on Sun Nov 06, 2016 4:40 am

Valor wrote:

Watching the Knicks-Bulls game right now. They aren't even running triangle. Maybe a shade of it here and there with post entry and cut concepts but it's just a bloody mess mostly and they go back to pick and roll anyways. (And when they do run some of it and move the ball around properly they got wide open jumpshots) Maybe that's the problem? Players not knowing what they are doing because they don't understand it? No offense but if this is the case why can't Jackson come down from his office and giving tips? He IS the most knowledgeable man alive outside of Tex Winter when we are talking about the triangle offense...

Honestly, if he was so adamant about running a pure triangle, he wouldn't have hired Hornacek. Give the guy some slack mate, you are sounding like Stephen A Smith here. Just sayin

Phil is not the coach, he's the president/GM. He should do his job and let Jeff coach his way. But Big Chief Triangle wants to have his cake and eat it too, and show us all how smart he is. Trying to fit square pegs into round holes isn't smart IMO.

And hardcore fans like myself have every right to be ticked. I was 12 the last time this franchise won anything, and they're been an NBA joke for the past 15 years.
Jeffx

Postby mp3 on Sun Nov 06, 2016 4:56 am

air gordon wrote:My sig awaits , MP3

Fine game by the visitors last nite

I thought we were doing it for the season record?
Youtube - mp3 Basketball Gaming
mp3

Postby Valor on Sun Nov 06, 2016 6:06 am

Jeffx wrote:
Valor wrote:

Phil is not the coach, he's the president/GM. He should do his job and let Jeff coach his way. But Big Chief Triangle wants to have his cake and eat it too, and show us all how smart he is. Trying to fit square pegs into round holes isn't smart IMO.

And hardcore fans like myself have every right to be ticked. I was 12 the last time this franchise won anything, and they're been an NBA joke for the past 15 years.

Pat Riley does the same stuff in Miami with his hand picked protege, Jeff knew what he signed on for, and if he didn't respect that and bought into the philosophy I don't know why he signed. As for square pegs into round holes....thats the thing, the triangle works for everybody, as in, any combination of personnel, at any level of play. The only prerequisite skillset one needs to perfectly master the offense is the ability to read defenses and make good passes, pretty sure almost everyone not named JR Smith or Nick Young can do that. Again, PNR can be a heavy part of the offense, there's no set plays, the system adjusts itself according to the strengths of the players....

Yes you've got the right to complain, not questioning that at all, but I don't think all the blame can be on Phil. You might recall a lot of calls for him to be fired after he picked Porzingis? The man knows what he's doing.
Valor
Fire GarPax

Postby air gordon on Mon Nov 07, 2016 11:42 am

mp3 wrote:I thought we were doing it for the season record?

i did say head to head, monthly record, and season record. whatever floats your boat
Jump.
Scott Skiles answer to the question on how Eddy Curry can become a better rebounder
air gordon

Postby mp3 on Tue Nov 08, 2016 2:26 am

Let's go with season head to head (since we are leading 1-0 lol)

I can't figure out which knicks team will turn up each night, credit to the Jazz and Rudy Gobert last night they deserved to win that game!
mp3

Postby Jeffx on Tue Nov 08, 2016 11:28 pm

I'm with Frank Isola on this. Hornacek should say screw it, and do things his way. The fact that they're spending more time practicing against the triangle offense instead of pick & roll is ridiculous.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/2.122 ... -1.2863341
Jeffx

Postby mp3 on Wed Nov 09, 2016 3:22 am

Yeah we have carried on this nonsense for 3 years now, give it up already!

Knicks are clearly better moving away from it and from the defence standpoint why are we running against the triangle when no other team is running it against us?

We are last in defence so I think Lee's comments are spot on, practice against what other teams are running.
mp3

Postby Jeffx on Wed Nov 09, 2016 8:56 am

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/1799 ... le-offense

Hey Phil, if you're unhappy with Hornacek not running your outdated offense, then get off your f-ing a** and coach the f-ing team yourself!!!! Of course you won't do that because this team isn't championship-caliber.

In case you haven't noticed Phil, offense isn't this team's biggest problem. Maybe the defense would improve if they practiced against pick & rolls instead of the f-ing triangle.
Jeffx

Postby Andrew on Wed Nov 09, 2016 9:14 am

With all due respect to Phil and the triangle, it does seem like he wants to have his cake and eat it too. He wants the team coached a certain way, but also wants to maintain the distance of an executive so it doesn't seem like he's directly responsible for what happens out on the court, and he also doesn't have to put in the leg work of a head coach. "Hey, I got you some good players, and handed you an offense that won 11 championships. Not my fault!"
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby Jeffx on Thu Nov 10, 2016 6:56 am

Andrew wrote:With all due respect to Phil and the triangle, it does seem like he wants to have his cake and eat it too. He wants the team coached a certain way, but also wants to maintain the distance of an executive so it doesn't seem like he's directly responsible for what happens out on the court, and he also doesn't have to put in the leg work of a head coach. "Hey, I got you some good players, and handed you an offense that won 11 championships. Not my fault!"

More Knick follies, Andrew;

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baske ... -1.2864647
Jeffx

Postby Andrew on Thu Nov 10, 2016 8:06 am

Soon to be a two-time interim coach of the Knicks, maybe?
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby Jeffx on Thu Nov 10, 2016 8:53 am

Andrew wrote:Soon to be a two-time interim coach of the Knicks, maybe?

How much you want to bet Hornacek regrets signing up with this chicken outfit? He's already dead-man-walking.
Jeffx

Postby Andrew on Thu Nov 10, 2016 8:58 am

The irony is that Jackson's meddling and power plays are not completely unlike the way Jerry Krause treated him in Chicago all those years ago. He knows what it's like to be mistreated in some way by the front office.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby Andrew on Thu Nov 10, 2016 6:59 pm

As much as I like Noah, this is one of the things that long frustrated me about his game.

He's never been a stellar scorer in the NBA, but he's virtually a complete liability in that regard these days. It's a shame he's never been able to develop a reliable move or two so that he can pack a bit more of a scoring punch.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby mp3 on Thu Nov 10, 2016 9:07 pm

I've thought this too Andrew, he reminds me of Tyson Chandler on offence. Totally useless.
mp3

Postby Andrew on Thu Nov 10, 2016 9:12 pm

I'd argue that Chandler's touch around the rim is better though, and he's still athletic enough to finish easy looks and get garbage buckets. Noah is pretty good at putting the ball on the floor and he's a fine passer, but when it comes to shooting - even layups and little hooks from a few feet out - he looks like he's never played basketball in his life.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby mp3 on Fri Nov 11, 2016 5:03 am

He can pass and he can run the break off a rebound but the knicks (Jackson) want us to slow things down and set up the good old slow half court offence once used by Jedi Knights called the Triangle...

The knicks have looked so much better as a running team, there isn't a single player on the roster who can't get up the court.
mp3

Postby air gordon on Fri Nov 11, 2016 7:57 am

One of my favorite Noah games
phpBB [video]

Noah sure made a bunch of contested shots against the bulls
Jump.
air gordon

Postby Valor on Fri Nov 11, 2016 7:01 pm

mp3 wrote:He can pass and he can run the break off a rebound but the knicks (Jackson) want us to slow things down and set up the good old slow half court offence once used by Jedi Knights called the Triangle...

Noah's passing ability and on court mobility is exactly what makes him a perfect center for the triangle....See:
phpBB [video]
Valor
Fire GarPax

PreviousNext

Return to NBA & Basketball