The Knicks Thread....

Like real basketball, as well as basketball video games? Talk about the NBA, NCAA, and other professional and amateur basketball leagues here.

Re: The Knicks Thread....

Postby Jeffx on Mon Oct 10, 2016 10:49 pm

Surprise, surprise......Knick players don't like the triangle offense;

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baske ... -1.2824060
Jeffx

Postby mp3 on Tue Oct 11, 2016 6:55 pm

We haven't really being running it much in the preseason, I like the offensive tempo we have shown so far and I like high pick and rolls that we are finally using.

I really don't know why we brought back Lou and Sasha tho.
Youtube - mp3 Basketball Gaming
mp3

Postby Jackal on Tue Oct 11, 2016 7:53 pm

Phil Jackson wrote:The triangle of course is a different matter. How do you teach a system that requires so many fundamental skills to players that really haven't been taught some of that basic stuff (footwork, passing, and all those rudiment type of skills that are learned) that have been changed over the years. It's a different game so I solicited Jeff because Jeff came from a system, Utah had a nice system, and yet he wanted to accelerate the game and play at a pace that present ballplayers like to play at. And yet find a way to try and incorporate it. It's got to be done in a way that doesn't slow the game down but tries to accentuate the things they are trying to do.

Source.

New Knicks head coach Jeff Hornacek said that team president Phil Jackson has been "hands off" and "helpful" during the preseason as Hornacek installs a new offense in New York. Hornacek's new approach employs less of the triangle offense, which Jackson used to win 11 NBA titles as a head coach.

"Phil's been great. He's not trying to take over and make us do anything. He's given us the leeway," Hornacek said after practice Sunday. "There are some things that we do that aren't the triangle stuff [such as] our early [offense]. Quite honestly, we thought he would say, 'Let's not do that.' Or, 'Let's not do that option.' But he hasn't said that at all."

Source.
Jackal

Postby mp3 on Fri Oct 14, 2016 7:13 pm

So it looks like Noah has picked up his second injury of the preseason (ankle) and isn't practicing again, may miss sat game vs Boston.

That's two new signings (Rose & Noah) who can't get on court and that's also two key starters. I have a feeling that both players are going to miss way more time than I optimistically thought.
mp3

Postby Jeffx on Sun Oct 16, 2016 12:05 am

mp3 wrote:So it looks like Noah has picked up his second injury of the preseason (ankle) and isn't practicing again, may miss sat game vs Boston.

That's two new signings (Rose & Noah) who can't get on court and that's also two key starters. I have a feeling that both players are going to miss way more time than I optimistically thought.

Phil invested in two cats who I guarantee will miss portions of the season. I'd laugh if I wasn't a Knicks fan.

I always felt these signings were desperation moves by Phil. He's gone after the season, and he doesn't want his Knick tenure defined by no playoff appearances.
Jeffx

Postby air gordon on Sun Oct 16, 2016 1:51 am

too early for buyer's remorse haha. as long as it's not a shoulder injury, i would not be overly concerned with Noah. it always seemed like he picked up some kind of nagging injury.

as long as Rose isn't facing jail time i think he sucks it up for most of the season. dude want to get paid in the offseason
Jump.
Scott Skiles answer to the question on how Eddy Curry can become a better rebounder
air gordon

Postby mp3 on Sun Oct 16, 2016 4:01 am

Regarding Noah, he hasn't played in nba in months (16?) and can't seem to make it through a training session without getting hurt, I know he's always had nagging injuries but theses nagging injures are stopping him from even getting on court now let alone play through them.

As for Rose, I haven't really followed the court case but what if he's found guilty of rape? There is sure to be prison a head of him.
mp3

Postby air gordon on Sun Oct 16, 2016 4:16 am

At least Noah is expected to play tonite says Rotoworld

The latest blurb I read on rose said the judge expects to wrap up the case tuesday. The civil case that is. The criminal charges seems to have lost its wheels so no jail time for now
Jump.
Scott Skiles answer to the question on how Eddy Curry can become a better rebounder
air gordon

Postby mp3 on Sun Oct 16, 2016 5:05 am

Yeah I read on a knicks board that Noah said he was playing regardless but at what level? If he wasn't a 70 million dollar signing I would be to bothered by this. I also think we gave up RoLo in the Rose trade knowing that the knicks and Noah had mutual interest.
mp3

Postby Andrew on Sun Oct 16, 2016 8:38 am

As always, it has to be a comforting thought that if nothing else, Isiah Thomas isn't pulling the strings these days. One can only imagine who he'd sign to a ridiculous contract with the new, enormous salary cap.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby air gordon on Mon Oct 17, 2016 4:29 am

mp3 wrote:Yeah I read on a knicks board that Noah said he was playing regardless but at what level? If he wasn't a 70 million dollar signing I would be to bothered by this. I also think we gave up RoLo in the Rose trade knowing that the knicks and Noah had mutual interest.

i agree. the Noah signing was finalized early.

i was always thought Noah is a rhythm type of player. he needs to get out there. Hernangomez looking good
Jump.
air gordon

Postby Jeffx on Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:17 am

With Rose away, Brandon Jennings is already a favorite with the MSG crowd. Sh*t, us Knick fans were killing Donnie Walsh for not drafting him years ago (I believe Walsh took Jordan Hill).
Jeffx

Postby Jeffx on Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:55 pm

With a new coach and so many new faces, I'm not surprised at last night's outcome....Knicks looked out of sync.
Jeffx

Postby mp3 on Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:10 pm

Plus playing the champs in there house on ring night.
mp3

Postby Andrew on Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:13 pm

They didn't look too bad in the first half, with a couple of spirited runs. Second half, it kind of fell apart, and was less competitive.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Jeffx on Thu Oct 27, 2016 4:00 am

Porzingis should be more of a focus on offense.
Jeffx

Postby air gordon on Thu Oct 27, 2016 8:49 am

so we got a bet on, knicks fans?

maybe go record for the month starting november, head 2 head, and overall record. loser puts a sig or avatar of the winners choice?
Jump.
air gordon

Postby mp3 on Thu Oct 27, 2016 3:22 pm

Yeah iam up for that.
mp3

Postby Jeffx on Fri Oct 28, 2016 8:06 am

Derrick Rose is already bitchin' about the triangle, and he's right......when will Phil wake the f--- up????????? I'm fed up with his stubborness with this stupid triangle. That's why Pat Riley sh*ts on him when it comes to coaching. Pat adjusted his system to the talent he had, but not Phil. He's going to fit square pegs into round holes just to prove to everyone how smart he is.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baske ... -1.2846261
Jeffx

Postby Andrew on Fri Oct 28, 2016 9:43 am

There's only so many times Jax can fall back on "I won 11 titles with it", especially when the last one was six years ago, and given the players he had on the roster. Put it aside, or find a way to update it so that it can still be effective. If it's not playing to the strengths and style of the players, then surely it can't be considered the best option.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Jeffx on Fri Oct 28, 2016 11:00 pm

It drives me nuts, Andrew, because the Knicks can get EASY pick-&-pop looks for Porzingis. That should be our primary or secondary option.
Jeffx

Postby Valor on Sat Oct 29, 2016 12:56 am

Jeffx wrote:Derrick Rose is already bitchin' about the triangle, and he's right......when will Phil wake the f--- up????????? I'm fed up with his stubborness with this stupid triangle. That's why Pat Riley sh*ts on him when it comes to coaching. Pat adjusted his system to the talent he had, but not Phil. He's going to fit square pegs into round holes just to prove to everyone how smart he is.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baske ... -1.2846261
Andrew wrote:There's only so many times Jax can fall back on "I won 11 titles with it", especially when the last one was six years ago, and given the players he had on the roster. Put it aside, or find a way to update it so that it can still be effective. If it's not playing to the strengths and style of the players, then surely it can't be considered the best option.

I dunno about this guys, I think it's more to do with the players coming in with doubts in their minds about it not being a good fit for them and thus doesn't buy in completely. The triangle is perfectly suitable for plays into pick and roll (Plenty of Kobe Gasol pick and rolls in those 2008-2011 Laker runs) and point guards aren't stuck as catch and shoot options 'cause roles interchange so easily in the system.

In fact, if you have a good pick and roll ball handler it only makes it that much easier because there's so many actions that allows for a pick and roll drive off a dribble pitch hand-off, with the defense already having to shift around quite a bit thanks to the initial triangle set up action, so the ball handler will be initiating the pnr going full speed right at the off balanced defense. They can also set up the pnr action on the weakside, which the Lakers did quite a bit.

phpBB [video]

Imagine this with Porzingis at Gasol's spot

phpBB [video]

This with Melo as the pick man will draw the defense away so much the other side of the floor will be completely empty

It really isn't complicated, just takes all 5 guys on the floor to buy in and play smart basketball.
Valor
Fire GarPax

Postby air gordon on Sat Oct 29, 2016 4:35 am

then surely it can't be considered the best option.

don't call me shirley haha

as the cliche goes- hard to teach an old dog new tricks. DRose throughout his career has been used to having the ball in his hands. i agree the triangle can help... in doses. Rose has to learn to move without the ball.
Jump.
air gordon

Postby Andrew on Sat Oct 29, 2016 9:58 am

Even as I was typing it, I was wondering if I'd be setting someone up for that reference. :lol:

Good points, Valor.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Jeffx on Sat Oct 29, 2016 9:44 pm

The bottom line is, the front office should not be dictating what offense the coach should run. That's ridiculous......where do you see that in the NBA or any other other league? Phil, either get out of the way and let Hornacek run things his way, or coach the f-ing team yourself. This is what, Jackon's fourth year, and he's still trying to coach from the front office. Enough!
Jeffx

PreviousNext

Return to NBA & Basketball