Dear Devs... (General Feedback)

Talk about NBA 2K17 here.

Dear Devs... (General Feedback)

Postby justinpot on Wed Sep 21, 2016 5:01 pm

Again, just like last year i would like to open a thread just for gathering Overall General Feedback from the game, from MyCareer to MyGM/MyLeague you can post it right here, again hoping that 2k game developers would take time to read this, overall i think a thread like this could help them in terms of focusing on what they need to add and improve through the patches whilst giving us (the gaming community) a chance to voice out our concerns, please avoid using foul/explicit words and just voice out what you think they need to do to give us a more pleasant gaming experience
justinpot

Re: Dear Devs... (General Feedback)

Postby Andrew on Wed Sep 21, 2016 5:32 pm

Definitely a good idea. Let's make sure that not all gameplay discussion takes place here, but a central thread for additional Wishlist feedback should be handy.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby atszabo on Wed Sep 21, 2016 6:42 pm

The gameplay is really good, there are just a couple weird things irritating me. The main things that bother me about the game revolve around the macro-design choices made:

1. For the love of god split Park mode out of MyCareer. I'm so tired of this corny little kid stuff. I don't want to go to pretend basketball practice, check my pretend cell phone for messages from mommy, and "do work." On top of that, it is the most boring mode to play since you are locked in on one player the whole time, every single game. Honestly, IMO 2K Park should be a standalone game that is totally separate from the NBA stuff.

2. Fix the servers or the netcode or whatever causes the 1-2 minute delay for starting a Park game, and the 250 ms delays when you are playing. Basketball is a game of anticipation and reaction, the delay is the difference between an assist and a turnover, or an open layup or getting cut off.

3. Add a better matchmaking system for Park. The worst part of playing pickup basketball is the "Got Next" system where you have to sit around waiting just to play. This is a computer game so how about we distance ourselves from that and just queue up for a game like ANY other multiplayer game made in the last 10 years.

4. The game is infested with microtransactions. This results in a less than satisfactory experience despite the excellent gameplay. 2000 for this animation, 2000 for this pair of shorts, 3500 for this upgrade, etc. it drives me nuts. 2000 VC is like 2 hours of gameplay. 2 hours of gameplay to buy a pair of shorts or half an upgrade?!?! The microtransaction prices are made intentionally high so a high percentage of the players just say "Fuck this" and dump another $50 into VC so they can avoid the tedium required to have a single decent character for park. Now the people who haven't spent the extra $50 are a mile behind in progression because of the pay-to-win shortcut that is available, so they feel compelled to do the same.

5. No progression carryover from year-to-year is stupid. The code for the game is 99% the same but I need to reset my progress 100% every year? Why? I'll pay the full $60 if I must, but the added content is barely passable for an expansion pack in other genres. The progression reset is grueling.
atszabo

Postby fjccommish on Thu Sep 22, 2016 8:48 am

You've added quarter by quarter break down for individual stats during a game. So now I can see how many points, rebs, etc. each player had in each quarter.

But the team stats page shows total score even on the quarter by quarter views. So to see what each team scored in a quarter, I have to add up points from their 2 and 3 pointers. Please, in the first quarter show the points the team scored in the first quarter, rather than the total points scored.
fjccommish

Postby Dee4Three on Fri Sep 23, 2016 4:31 am

Dear Devs,

Best gameplay (Maybe ever). Everything is more reactive, shooting/getting a first step feels great, defensive AI is FAR superior than last year. The graphics (lighting) is fantastic, no complaints from me. Thank you for all the hard work. Please don't take the speed boost (first step) out of the game, that hurt 2K16 when it was taken out, it made it more unrealistic. Players like Iverson/Irving/Jordan/Bryant/Westbrook etc absolutely should have a great first step, its far more realistic.

Also, please keep the spin/gather with the ball the way it is. It's very realistic now (players don't spin and bump into the air stopping the animation). The game feels AMAZING as it is, I would even be fine with no patches. Great job fixing the protected shot so it's more realistic and not annoying. You also fixed the Pick N Roll, its much more realistic running it.

If you are to patch, I think that the fouls could be turned down a bit (Even when you turn the sliders down to like 20/20 its pretty bad). Injuries happen far more often than in real life as well. Also, players like Steph Curry staying in front of Westbrook as easy as he does is a bit bothersome, the defense is sometimes TOO good. But I would much rather have it this way, this game plays great. The layup system is interesting, it still feels more accurate just using the shoot button around the basket.

Great job overall, I have never enjoyed a 2K this much!
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Check out my YouTube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvHJXrqit8Dc6HBY5P6EmAA

Follow me on Twitter

https://twitter.com/Dee4Three84
Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby cayd33 on Fri Sep 23, 2016 7:09 am

My biggest complaint with the actual game this year is in MYGM. The rule changes during the off-season can't be overridden. Some of these rule changes are fine but some of just completely silly, would be nice to have an option to override or just turn this feature off.

Now that face scan is more widely accessible for users, PC included, I'd love an option to scan my face on the create a player tool for use in myleague and mygm.

Speaking of CAP, I'd love to see more options in the future such as more hairstyles, facial hairstyles, more facial hair coloring options (more tones per color, different eyebrow color to beard color) as well as possibly editing some facial bone structures as well. More skin tones would be great too of course . The ability to add glasses/goggles/masks/etc, and the option to pick a body type.

I'd like to mention the out of game menus really quick as well. Who designed them? This person needs a pay raise. I've played almost every NBA 2K game since Allen Iverson first graced the cover on some ancient machine called a Dreamcast and these are by far, the best out of game menus I"ve ever seen from a NBA 2K game. The in game menus, not so much.

Transition.

NBA 2K12 blew my mind with its NBA's greatest mode. I loved everything about it, especially the retro presentation on some of the games. I"m not sure create-a-legend would really work with the new MyPlayer system but it would be cool to see a return of. I 100% understand if its just not feasible to create a quality experience for such a mode.

I love the NBA. I love the current NBA, the past NBA and its history so of course I want to see more classic teams. The 2010 Lakers, an early 2000's Kings, some love a Reggie Miller driven Pacers team and so on and so on.

Side note: Some customization for MYGM would be great, I really like the ability to (queue Huey Lewis) back in time to the preseason. It was a wishlist item for for a long time. I'd also like to set things like the number of games to be played, player personality difficulty (lower and higher), opposing GM difficulty and well, just more options. I love MYGM but often find myself playing MYLeague instead b/c of the customization.

Something we had in the past was the ability to fantasy draft players for a 1 of quick game. That was always cool and saves a ton of time of having to roster edit between each game.

Great game none the less, keep up the good work.
cayd33

Postby miki_92 on Fri Sep 23, 2016 11:32 am

phpBB [video]
miki_92

Postby CT4 on Fri Sep 23, 2016 5:47 pm

miki_92 wrote:
phpBB [video]

The CPU gets so many points when this happens.

AND THIS,THIS MADE ME THINK............REALLLY?!?! (I was OKC)

Like cpu always shoots jumpshots on fastbreak,mostly 3pts
Celtics and Kristaps Porzingis fan from Latvia.
Not much else to know really.
CT4

Postby hedop on Sat Sep 24, 2016 12:38 am

miki_92 wrote:
phpBB [video]

Finally!!! Finally one of the big youtubers mentions it... jesus that was infuriating last year already. They fixed it via a Patch but the Patch actually didn't fix it as to remove any help defense at all so that basically everyone played man on man. That meant that if your perimeter defender got broken down it was an easy bucket but at least the post defense could still collapse on him... this kind of help defense though is, like Chris stated, absolute garbage and leads to FG% in the 60's and 50's
hedop

Postby miki_92 on Sat Sep 24, 2016 2:14 am

tbf Chris never had problem criticizing 2K unlike other youtubers who ride their d... all year long
miki_92

Postby Phreak50 on Sat Sep 24, 2016 4:04 pm

The 'almost lose the dribble' animation needs to be cutdown by 70-80%. It ruins the flow of the game. Sliders seem to have zero effect on this animation.
Phreak50

Postby Lamrock on Thu Sep 29, 2016 4:14 am

While I like arcade-style gameplay, I'm a simhead when it comes to franchise modes, and while myLEAGUE is amazing, there is one issue with it that is ruining it for me.

Mid-tier veteran players can be signed for practically nothing.

Coming off an offseason that saw plenty of role players earn eight figure salaries, it doesn't make sense being able to re-sign Patty Mills and Shaun Livingston for 2-3 million per year annually. It seems all veterans with overall ratings below 80 can be had for what would have been below market value 10 years ago. It's fine for young players and superstars - Oladipo and Millsap still demand deals north of 20 million annually, but it's way too easy to get several solid players for the price of one Solomon Hill.

I'm not sure if this is a fixable issue, but it's my biggest concern with the game, which I think is the best one in years.
Lamrock

Postby Andrew on Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:43 am

In all fairness, we've only just seen those salaries start to balloon in real life with the big new cap, so that's probably part of it. Hopefully it can be patched, though.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Andrew on Thu Sep 29, 2016 6:31 pm

Something has to be done about the ridiculous charging calls that happen at midcourt and on the perimeter, especially when they're exploited online. They're inconsistent, absolutely garbage calls when they happen, and they're completely ruining 2K Pro-Am. Between that and the body steals, there are way too many cheap turnovers. As I said in the patch thread, Pro-Am also feels a lot stiffer post-patch, as opposed to just a bit laggy.

Also, were VC rewards nerfed again in the latest patch? Cause I mean, they weren't low enough already or anything...
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Dee4Three on Fri Sep 30, 2016 12:32 am

Andrew wrote:Something has to be done about the ridiculous charging calls that happen at midcourt and on the perimeter, especially when they're exploited online. They're inconsistent, absolutely garbage calls when they happen, and they're completely ruining 2K Pro-Am. Between that and the body steals, there are way too many cheap turnovers. As I said in the patch thread, Pro-Am also feels a lot stiffer post-patch, as opposed to just a bit laggy.

Also, were VC rewards nerfed again in the latest patch? Cause I mean, they weren't low enough already or anything...

The charging calls and body steals are still an issue with myleague and general play. It's very unrealistic.

It's stuff like that that ruins the games flow. It's unnecessary. I still like this game better than 2k16, but certainly some things that need to be worked out.
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Check out my YouTube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvHJXrqit8Dc6HBY5P6EmAA

Follow me on Twitter

https://twitter.com/Dee4Three84
Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Fri Sep 30, 2016 1:14 am

I seem to encounter it more online, I guess because it's a human opponent who's actively trying to exploit it. But yeah, it needs to be resolved.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby joosegoose on Fri Sep 30, 2016 6:55 am

Andrew wrote:In all fairness, we've only just seen those salaries start to balloon in real life with the big new cap, so that's probably part of it. Hopefully it can be patched, though.

True, but even in 2k16 contracts were consistently too low (even after the patch addressing them). The new salary cap has only made it worse, and I suspect that adding in proper minimum contracts and adjusting the logic for them may have added a little more funkiness.
joosegoose

Postby Andrew on Fri Sep 30, 2016 9:23 am

Oh yeah, definitely something that needs to be fixed.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby miki_92 on Fri Sep 30, 2016 9:35 am

fix this double team BS in my career, being PG after scoring 25+ for a few games as starter is a nightmare

I have 2 points and I am still getting double teamed like crazy

I totally signed up for just bringing the ball up the court and getting rid of it as soon as I pass the half court, so much fun , thanks 2K
miki_92

Postby joosegoose on Fri Sep 30, 2016 3:25 pm

I have a huge dilemma. Should I get Leftos to put in an amazing new feature I want or keep him focused on fixing bugs?

(if you don't get it, check the selected tweet)
joosegoose

Postby miki_92 on Fri Sep 30, 2016 5:20 pm

phpBB [video]
miki_92

Postby Nick on Sun Oct 02, 2016 8:51 pm

Dear devs, can you please tell us what the "intangibles" rating does? The curiosity is driving me crazy. It has a large affect on the overall rating.
Nick
Barnsketball
Contributor

Postby skoadam on Mon Oct 03, 2016 7:39 am

miki_92 wrote:
phpBB [video]

2k never test their games, customers will test their product every year.... for free....damn hold on, they will pay to test 2k product.
Image Image Image

URB WHERE SIM HAPPENS [41 Complete Seasons Mods + Bonus Rosters]

2022/2023 2021/2022 2020/2021 2019/2020 2018/2019 2017/2018 2016/2017 2015/2016 2014/2015 2013/2014 2012/2013
2011/2012 2010/2011 2009/2010 2008/2009 2007/2008 2006/2007 2005/2006 2004/2005 2003/2004 2002/2003
2001/2002 2000/2001 1999/2000 1998/1999 1997/1998 1996/1997 1995/1996 1994/1995 1993/1994 1992/1993
1991/1992 1990/1991 1989/1990 1988/1989 1987/1988 1986/1987 1985/1986 1984/1985 1969/1970 1961/1962
skoadam
U R Basketball - Where Sim Happens
Contributor

Postby joosegoose on Mon Oct 03, 2016 11:57 am

Nick wrote:Dear devs, can you please tell us what the "intangibles" rating does? The curiosity is driving me crazy. It has a large affect on the overall rating.

For funsies, I created a player today and gave him 99 of every attribute, except a 25 in Intangibles. He topped out at 'only' 97 overall despite essentially being a glitch of a player. Quite the large impact on overall rating indeed.

Also, it doesn't seem to progress whatsoever in MyLeague. This is in addition to the zero sum effect it has on the simulation engine.
joosegoose

Postby devomatic on Thu Oct 06, 2016 1:54 pm

It was briefly stated before, but fouls... Specifially shooting fouls. I'm pretty disciplined on defense and don't leave my feet unless I'm sure the shot's going up and there's no other way to get a good shot contest, but now just contesting shots by holding L2 causes a ton of fouls. I'll be locking the other team down, but a lot of the time when they end up chucking one up at the last second of the shot clock, I foul them. It's like I'm being punished for playing good defense. I can understand it happening every once in a while for the sake of realism, but it happens waaay too often. To put it into perspective, no one should foul out in 5 minute quarters, let alone your point guard who's out at the perimeter 90% of the time. It's ridiculous.
devomatic

Next

Return to NBA 2K17