NBA DVD/Blu-Ray Collections

Like real basketball, as well as basketball video games? Talk about the NBA, NCAA, and other professional and amateur basketball leagues here.

NBA DVD/Blu-Ray Collections

Postby Andrew on Wed Sep 14, 2016 2:47 pm

Does anyone else have a library of NBA DVDs/Blu-Rays? I haven't got my full catalogue on hand, but I generally get the championship retrospective every year, as well as other highlight collections and documentaries. I probably won't surprise anyone by revealing that Ultimate Jordan is my favourite release.

However, on top of MJ being my all-time favourite player, it's probably the most comprehensive production that NBA Entertainment has released. While I've enjoyed a lot of NBA home videos over the years - going back to the VHS days - I've long felt that the NBA could do a better job with its video library. Comprehensive season in review documentaries, jam-packed with highlights. More sets of classic games and player profiles. Longer highlight reels, as it looked like they might do with the NBA Dunks and NBA Ankle Breakers series.

What they do is good and all, but it just feels like they could be doing more. It's the same situation with the video vault on NBA League Pass Broadband. Compared to something like the WWE Network, the on-demand historical content is much more limited. Whether it's through League Pass or the physical media, I'd like to see them produce some really in-depth productions and highlight compilations, really taking advantage of their extensive video library from the seven decades they've been in existence.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Re: NBA DVD/Blu-Ray Collections

Postby koberulz on Wed Sep 14, 2016 3:49 pm

League Pass has classic games? The NBL has just announced they're doing that this coming season: hundreds of games back to 1979 plus live coverage of the coming season, for just $5 a month (free for season ticket holders of a current NBL team, possibly free for Telstra mobile customers).

I don't really bother with the highlights stuff or season recap docos myself, so of the official releases:
Boston Celtics: The Essentials
Chicago Bulls: The Essentials
Indiana Pacers' Greatest Games, Volume I
Larry Bird: A Basketball Legend
Magic Johnson: Always Showtime
NBA Dynasty Series: Boston Celtics
NBA Dynasty Series: Chicago Bulls
NBA Dynasty Series: Los Angeles Lakers
NBA Dynasty Series: New York Knicks
NBA Dynasty Series: Philadelphia 76ers
NBA's Top Ten Greatest
New York Knicks: The Essentials
San Antonio Spurs: NBA Champions Special Edition
Ultimate Jordan

1984-85 NBA Champions: Return to Glory
1985-86 NBA Champions: Sweet Sixteen
1989-90 NBA Champions: Motor City Madness
1990-91 NBA Champions: Learning to Fly
2005-06 NBA Champions: 15 Strong
Los Angeles Lakers 2010 NBA Finals Series: Collector's Edition
Dallas Mavericks NBA Finals 2011
Miami Heat 2013 NBA Finals: Collector's Edition

Plus a lot of games I've just managed to find lying around, or recorded and kept. Dwarfed by my NBL collection though.
koberulz
Everything I say is false.

Postby Andrew on Wed Sep 14, 2016 3:52 pm

League Pass Broadband does have classic games and a couple of documentaries, though the entire library isn't on demand as with the WWE Network. It's basically whatever they've put up to view recently.

As far as game DVDs (and tapes), I've got quite a few from PonTel. That'd take me a while to catalogue.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby koberulz on Wed Sep 14, 2016 4:34 pm

So...content from the previous update disappears after the next update, or something?

The NBL TV setup seems more like WWE Network, they've apparently prioritised the best 'hundreds' of games and will be adding to the collection over time. Still light on details though, not even a launch date at this point.

I got caught on the switch from Warner to Bombo for NBA Blu-Rays - the former are region-free, the latter aren't. Ended up with the Lakers' 2010 set in Region A, so I've never watched it. Finally got a region-unlocked player a month or two ago, but haven't had the time to finally get to it.

The picture quality on the HD-filmed games in the Essentials sets and the Miami Heat 2013 set is absolutely shocking.
koberulz

Postby Andrew on Wed Sep 14, 2016 4:43 pm

koberulz wrote:So...content from the previous update disappears after the next update, or something?

Pretty much. I think it might remain available for a couple of updates, but it's a current selection of historical content (as picked by whoever), rather than a complete archive of on-demand historical content.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby koberulz on Wed Sep 14, 2016 4:56 pm

Who came up with that idea, and how are they still employed?

Not that I'd pay whatever obscene price League Pass is anyway, but if I were inclined to do after finding out about the video vault I'd have changed my mind upon finding out things constantly disappear.
koberulz

Postby Andrew on Wed Sep 14, 2016 5:07 pm

It's one of the reasons I've decided not to go with a premium subscription this season.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby mp3 on Wed Sep 14, 2016 7:15 pm

Andrew wrote:
As far as game DVDs (and tapes), I've got quite a few from PonTel. That'd take me a while to catalogue.

Ditto, roughly 160-180 VSH Pontels and maybe 80-100 Pontel DVDs in storage and my mum and dads somewhere.

I also have nba videos such as nba jam, the Bulls 3peat, Rockets Clutch, Larry Bird a legend in his own time, nba 2000, the Shaq one, nba bloopers and iam sure some iam forgetting.
Youtube - mp3 Basketball Gaming
mp3

Postby knicksfan89 on Sat Feb 25, 2017 4:53 am

mp3, can you send me a list of your pontel vhs/dvds please?
knicksfan89

Return to NBA & Basketball