Not sure where this should go but, what NBA Live game do you guys prefer?

Talk about any and all other basketball video games including NBA Jam, NBA Street, college basketball games, and more. General basketball video game discussion and comparison topics are also welcome here.

Not sure where this should go but, what NBA Live game do you guys prefer?

Postby Rodzilla91 on Sat Aug 27, 2016 4:59 am

I'm not certain which forum to put this in but what do you guys prefer of the NBA Live games on pc? I've played 99, 2003, 2004, and 2008 awhile back with a updated roster i think. but which do you guys prefer out of all the nba live pc games?
Rodzilla91

Re: Not sure where this should go but, what NBA Live game do you guys prefer?

Postby [Q] on Sat Aug 27, 2016 5:20 am

I like 98, 2000, 2005, and 06
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Rodzilla91 on Sat Aug 27, 2016 7:04 am

[Q] wrote:I like 98, 2000, 2005, and 06

Any you prefer? I'm looking for a pretty good dynasty mode. I have played 98 before and liked it. Just wondering if 2005 or 2006 would have a good dynasty mode
Rodzilla91

Postby Andrew on Sat Aug 27, 2016 10:39 am

For PC, I'd go with NBA Live 2005 or NBA Live 06.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby [Q] on Sat Aug 27, 2016 11:41 am

2005 and 06 are pretty similar. Good dynasty mode, but I think 2005 had that annoying pda (this was before smartphones were a thing)
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Rodzilla91 on Sat Aug 27, 2016 12:03 pm

I had NBA live 06 installed deep in my pc i guess. i think i installed it once and never played it. ive been playing it though. its nice. and the PDA is on nba live 06's dynasty (idk about 05 though)

Any reason why 06 is overlooked when it comes to mods? It seems like everyone updates 08 even though I think that's inferior to 06.
Rodzilla91

Postby Andrew on Sat Aug 27, 2016 12:16 pm

NBA Live 2005 also has the PDA in Dynasty Mode. I prefer NBA Live 06's approach to staff, however.

NBA Live 06 had a lot of great updates back in the day. I guess more people have stuck with doing things with NBA Live 08 because it's the (slightly) newer game, but I've always preferred 06 to 08 (and 07 for that matter). 2005 and 06 on PC were great releases in their time.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Rodzilla91 on Mon Aug 29, 2016 11:04 pm

Andrew wrote:NBA Live 2005 also has the PDA in Dynasty Mode. I prefer NBA Live 06's approach to staff, however.

NBA Live 06 had a lot of great updates back in the day. I guess more people have stuck with doing things with NBA Live 08 because it's the (slightly) newer game, but I've always preferred 06 to 08 (and 07 for that matter). 2005 and 06 on PC were great releases in their time.

There IS a way to mute the PDA correct? At least I think you might have been the one to say that in an old topic? I forget how, but I know it doesn't really disable it because it's a vital part of the dynasty mode, and I think you get fired if your performance is poor? (Off my memory)

I've always liked 98 for some reason. Way before I was anywhere near basketball video games so when I played it it's not really a nostalgic kind of thing, I just liked how it played and I look back on the NBA in the 90's as a good time even though I didn't experience it happen

Also, NBA live's defense seems to be like glue, I can't ever seem to make it to the basket
Rodzilla91

Postby Andrew on Mon Aug 29, 2016 11:35 pm

You'll miss out on trade offers and so forth if you ignore the PDA, so it's just something you have to put up with it. It's not a completely bad idea, but I don't like it in terms of working out trades, since you have to wait a day or two to find out if a team is interested. There's no "real time" negotiation with it.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Rodzilla91 on Tue Aug 30, 2016 12:27 am

Andrew wrote:You'll miss out on trade offers and so forth if you ignore the PDA, so it's just something you have to put up with it. It's not a completely bad idea, but I don't like it in terms of working out trades, since you have to wait a day or two to find out if a team is interested. There's no "real time" negotiation with it.

Yep that's what I figured out, you have to wait for trades. The PDA is just unneeded really. It was a good take on trying to make the mode more complex (albeit for a good reason) it didn't pan out well.
Rodzilla91

Postby Andrew on Tue Aug 30, 2016 9:29 am

Exactly. Also, some of the interactions with the team owner were more unnecessary nags than anything else. It was also a bit ridiculous that you could get all the way to the Finals, lose in seven games, and the owner would send a message scolding you about how disappointed he was in the team's performance. I suppose it's not completely unrealistic that an owner would act like that, and they'd obviously be disappointed in the loss, but you'd think there'd be a slightly more optimistic/grateful reaction ("I'm disappointed, but it was still a great season. Let's get back there and win it all next year") if you'd come that close to a championship.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Rodzilla91 on Thu Sep 01, 2016 8:08 am

Andrew wrote:Exactly. Also, some of the interactions with the team owner were more unnecessary nags than anything else. It was also a bit ridiculous that you could get all the way to the Finals, lose in seven games, and the owner would send a message scolding you about how disappointed he was in the team's performance. I suppose it's not completely unrealistic that an owner would act like that, and they'd obviously be disappointed in the loss, but you'd think there'd be a slightly more optimistic/grateful reaction ("I'm disappointed, but it was still a great season. Let's get back there and win it all next year") if you'd come that close to a championship.

You made it to the finals! Not accomplishing at all.. Better luck next time

I installed LIVE 2001 to see how it is and it's cool and all but the graphics are weeeird, like its all good until you see 3d portraits and the left sides team has flickering, and then u get into the game and all the textures are off and stuff. I've heard you should install it on a VM but I don't get why that's the only option if 2000 and 99 and 98 work fine without a vm
Rodzilla91

Postby Andrew on Thu Sep 01, 2016 9:20 am

It's not the only option. There's a slightly different method for getting it to run properly on modern systems, but it is possible. As for why, it's just the way it is, with its hardware requirements and the way it was programmed.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Rodzilla91 on Thu Sep 01, 2016 9:51 am

Andrew wrote:It's not the only option. There's a slightly different method for getting it to run properly on modern systems, but it is possible. As for why, it's just the way it is, with its hardware requirements and the way it was programmed.

It runs fine and everything it's just the ingame graphics. Same for the demo too. But I haven't done anything I haven't done for 2000 and so on, but then again those didn't have the same problem this does
Rodzilla91

Postby Andrew on Thu Sep 01, 2016 10:07 am

As I said, you do need to do a few things differently to get the graphics to show up properly. matt1994 found a way to get it working properly, graphics and all: viewtopic.php?p=1843916#p1843916
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Rodzilla91 on Thu Sep 01, 2016 11:04 am

Andrew wrote:As I said, you do need to do a few things differently to get the graphics to show up properly. matt1994 found a way to get it working properly, graphics and all: viewtopic.php?p=1843916#p1843916

Oh nice,

Thanks Andrew (Y)
Rodzilla91

Postby Rodzilla91 on Fri Sep 02, 2016 2:10 am

Anyways, at first I just did what he said and it didn't work - it crashed the game on startup - however I got it to work by tinkering with the settings. It's not too bad of a game, but I can see why 2000 would be favored (Y) the soundtrack is good tho

Laptop works but when I did it for my desktop it showed 4 controllers and none of them worked, hmmm
Rodzilla91

Postby Andrew on Fri Sep 02, 2016 10:36 am

The exact same thing happened with me. I can get a gamepad to work on my laptop, but not my desktop.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Rodzilla91 on Fri Sep 02, 2016 10:44 am

Andrew wrote:The exact same thing happened with me. I can get a gamepad to work on my laptop, but not my desktop.

Yeah I saw it by your comments on the thread, I have NO clue what's the issue really
Rodzilla91

Postby Andrew on Fri Sep 02, 2016 10:51 am

Me either. matt1994 made some good suggestions, but I didn't have any luck with them, unfortunately.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Return to Other Basketball Games