NBA Live 17 Update: Coming in 2017

Talk about NBA Live 18 here.

NBA Live 17 Update: Coming in 2017

Postby Andrew on Wed May 11, 2016 7:52 am

Via an announcement on the official website:

Hey LIVE fans:

I want to share some important updates on what’s next for NBA LIVE and give you an overview of where we’re going with the franchise over the course of this year.

It’s important that you know that we are committed to NBA LIVE in the console space. While we won’t be shipping a product this Fall, we will be back on the courts with something new and exciting for you to experience in early 2017.

Our focus this year is to deliver an amazing, high-quality basketball game to a global audience. The best way to do that is through the fastest growing, largest, and most accessible gaming platform…mobile. As a team, we’re really excited about taking the franchise to new places with the worldwide release of our mobile game later this year.

More details to follow in the coming months!

Sean O’Brien
Executive Producer, NBA LIVE

Certainly not the news I was hoping for, but I'd also like to remain optimistic that it's going to benefit the series in the long run. If the game is up to scratch, then the timing may actually be beneficial, with the game coming at a time when people are looking for something new to play, and in some cases, growing weary of NBA 2K17.

If this year's version of NBA Live mobile is anything to go by, I'm probably not going to be able to play it, because my device isn't compatible. That's a shame, but as long as the series isn't going completely mobile, as I said, I remain optimistic. Hey, maybe that extra time could open up the possibility of a PC release, too. Probably not, but that's always going to be something we'll throw out there.
This topic was moved from NBA Live 16 by Andrew on Thu May 25, 2017 2:21 am.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: NBA Live 17 Update: Coming in 2017

Postby [Q] on Wed May 11, 2016 8:17 am

LOL what? So they're giving up?? It was a pretty tall mountain to climb, but we'll see how "new and exciting" it is when it comes out. We've had promises of "new and exciting" before and have been let down, but I'm still curious

Mobile is an interesting relatively untapped space to try to gain market share. It is a shame though. Can we get an NBA street vol 2 remaster??
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Wed May 11, 2016 8:31 am

Giving up? They haven't cancelled the console version, only delayed it until early 2017. I imagine releasing a new version of NBA Live Mobile worldwide will be a way of keeping up brand awareness in the meantime.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby TBM on Wed May 11, 2016 8:59 am

It sounds like they're testing the waters with mobile to maybe ease out of the console version if 17 doesn't work out sales/review wise, though.
TBM
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Izzy Snow on Wed May 11, 2016 9:15 am

TBM wrote:It sounds like they're testing the waters with mobile to maybe ease out of the console version if 17 doesn't work out sales/review wise, though.

This was exactly my same thought. They might completely abandon 17 if mobile does well enough. I can't remain as optimistic as Andrew seems to be. I get being positive but to me, this is the worse move. If they truly needed time to "polish" the game, why not just skip 17 all together and release 18 instead. Who knows. Maybe they'll release it digital only and for $29.99 or even $19.99 as I've suggested in the past?
Izzy Snow

Postby Andrew on Wed May 11, 2016 9:32 am

If they skipped NBA Live 17, would it inspire any more confidence than releasing it later, or releasing it at the usual time and it not living up to our expectations, or theirs?

Don't get me wrong. I totally understand the scepticism, and I'd be lying if I said I didn't have my concerns as well. At the same time though, consider that a lot of people have said that the game would benefit from having some extra development time, and not focusing on going head to head with NBA 2K until it has more polish. Then when they do decide to take that extra time, it's seen as a bad thing (which it could be, but not necessarily). Whichever way they go, it's still going to be seen as wrong, even if it's doing something that people suggested they do.

I'm hoping that we can find out more soon.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby ThaLiveKing on Wed May 11, 2016 9:47 am

As I said on twitter, I hope they're using this time to add customization options to the game. Focusing on Mobile and putting the console on the 'back burner' is bad news. But until I see cancelled anywhere, I'm going to be optimistic, but its definitely not a good look.

I really, really hope they're not playing with my emotions, because I love this series, and stuck by it even when people said I should give up on it. Man I really hope they blow us away with whatever they're doing.
ThaLiveKing

Postby Izzy Snow on Wed May 11, 2016 10:21 am

ThaLiveKing wrote:As I said on twitter, I hope they're using this time to add customization options to the game. Focusing on Mobile and putting the console on the 'back burner' is bad news. But until I see cancelled anywhere, I'm going to be optimistic, but its definitely not a good look.

I really, really hope they're not playing with my emotions, because I love this series, and stuck by it even when people said I should give up on it. Man I really hope they blow us away with whatever they're doing.

Bruh we're all fans of the series and we all want it to do well but how can you possibly remain optimistic when history shows EA disappoints? C'mon man open up your eyes. Like TBM said, they're testing the waters with mobile and if it does well, say goodbye to console Live.
Izzy Snow

Postby Patr1ck on Wed May 11, 2016 10:51 am

Before the game is even announced we get more disappointment from EA on the basketball gaming front.

So what's new guys?
Patr1ck
Administrator
Administrator

Postby [Q] on Wed May 11, 2016 10:57 am

Better to be disappointed now when we're not really thinking about it as opposed to in September when we're anticipating a new game

With the mobile game, I could see them doing an Ultimate Team style game, especially with the popularity of Blizzard's Hearthstone
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Ermolli on Wed May 11, 2016 11:28 am

I understand some people's optimism about the news, how the extra time gives more time for the dev team to deliver a better product, however, how can they be so sure that they'll release a great game because of it? It feels like 2010 again with the delay to early next year, to then a cancellation and then who know's what's going to happen.

This isn't great news for EA nor the basketball gaming community. Live's brand and perception is at an all-time low, people don't trust EA, don't care about Live and don't think they could ever recover since their downfall with Elite 11.

I believe that at best they'll release a PSN/Xbox Live game with little to no modes (LUT and Pro-Am basically), some improvements in gameplay, and at a reduced price, kinda like Live 13 was going to be (since it makes little sense to release a fully-fledged game with not so much time until the next release). They could release the game along the All-Star Weekend or close to the beginning of the playoffs when the interest of the season starts to peak.
Ermolli

Postby Patr1ck on Wed May 11, 2016 11:48 am

[Q] wrote:Better to be disappointed now when we're not really thinking about it as opposed to in September when we're anticipating a new game

With the mobile game, I could see them doing an Ultimate Team style game, especially with the popularity of Blizzard's Hearthstone

Have you played Live 16 mobile? That's what it is, ultimate team.

My theory is that there is more interest in the mobile game due to it being free and easy to play. Also, I would bet that the post releass interaction of Live 16 disappeared because they were working in the mobile game, and that continued work on it is reason for the delay of the console version. I wouldn't put it past them to not use a separate team considering the console sales and interest doesn't exactly warrant a budget increase.

Hell, they should port it to pc and console like other mobile games have done in the past.
Patr1ck
Administrator
Administrator

Postby zzcoolj21 on Wed May 11, 2016 11:56 am

This sucks. It sounds like '13 all over again. I'm burnt out of mobile. I'm burnt out of Live 16.

I'm done.
zzcoolj21
20% on Good release machine, The NLSC's Jr Smith

Postby [Q] on Wed May 11, 2016 2:59 pm

Ermolli wrote:I understand some people's optimism about the news, how the extra time gives more time for the dev team to deliver a better product, however, how can they be so sure that they'll release a great game because of it? It feels like 2010 again with the delay to early next year, to then a cancellation and then who know's what's going to happen.

Yeah at this point, I'm a bit skeptical about "extra time" being a positive. Live 15 was a good comeback, and Live 15 was actually kinda fun to play. The lack of improvement from 15 to 16 was a bit disappointing but I think it also shows that a few months of "extra time" to develop Live 17 won't really help unless Jesus himself came back to help out with the game.
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby mp3 on Wed May 11, 2016 4:30 pm

All I can say is it doesn't look good that they have to delay for at least 3 months, I could understand if they gave themselves an extra month but to take roughly 3-4 months you have to expect even month from nba live 17 so they kind of put more pressure on themselves there.

But in hindsight I was really hyped for Live 16 till they went back on customization and we heard Sean say that dynasty mode was the same as it was the year before put me off getting the game on the release date, that and all the missing rookies/players etc so if they all this isn't sorted by the 2017 release I don't know what to think anymore there is only so much support you can give.
Youtube - mp3 Basketball Gaming
mp3

Postby StyxTx on Wed May 11, 2016 9:21 pm

I don't play mobile. I've tried but it really is not interesting to me.

First of all, every game I've ever seen for mobile is a watered down version of the main game, not full featured. So Live wants to take a game that has quite a few problems and take to a platform with a watered down version? Sounds to me like that is easier than having to add a bunch of new features.

In the meantime, they are pushing aside the people that did buy it on console? Come on. How does it make any business sense ignoring people who are already customers? Waiting 3 months to release the console version, which I now doubt will happen, will not help sales. I won't be getting 2k but in Jan or Feb I'll be thinking about baseball, not looking to buy basketball.

Secondly, how do people play any games with a small screen? I just never found any mobile games to be any fun.

I figure they may have a market in mobile but, seriously, it sounds like what I've figured all along. Live 17, in whatever form, is going to be the last one, at least for console, IF they ever release a console version. The are going to just finish the NBA contract and that's it. Then, without a NBA deal they can use the mobile version as an arcady type of basketball game rather than using real players or whatever. That would probably be successful only on mobile.

It honestly sounds like they are intentionally keeping sales down so they can bow out after the next version. They sound like they are either desperate or have given up. Either way, it's not good.
StyxTx

Postby CEOHaize on Wed May 11, 2016 11:24 pm

I don't like this news at all. Maybe they surprise me and make great improvements in the product. But right now this seems like they are giving up on making Sim console games
CEOHaize

Postby ThaLiveKing on Thu May 12, 2016 12:26 am

Izzy Snow wrote:
ThaLiveKing wrote:As I said on twitter, I hope they're using this time to add customization options to the game. Focusing on Mobile and putting the console on the 'back burner' is bad news. But until I see cancelled anywhere, I'm going to be optimistic, but its definitely not a good look.

Bruh we're all fans of the series and we all want it to do well but how can you possibly remain optimistic when history shows EA disappoints? C'mon man open up your eyes. Like TBM said, they're testing the waters with mobile and if it does well, say goodbye to console Live.

Maybe it's the Gotham City in me lol. I just don't want this game to come out half-assed, and to think that 2K could be the only console basketball game we're getting, I don't want to believe in those thoughts. My eyes are open, there are folks out there hyping up this news like it's something positive, I'm not too high or too low. Just show me something positive when you release the news
ThaLiveKing

Postby Ermolli on Mon May 16, 2016 1:23 pm

I found this quote from the EA's Earnings Call

We don't spend a lot of time worrying about it because we feel like our ability to develop for whatever new technology comes, the risk of that's been minimized, because we've moved towards one single engine, Frostbite, and we're able to port that to whatever platform, or point that to
whatever platform is evolving or is upgraded.

Maybe I misread the quote or I'm missing something, but does this mean Live ditched whichever engine they had in 16 and went on to use Frostbite? Maybe it's one of the reasons for its delay? I'm not sure about it but I felt it was worth considering.

In case someone wants to read the file where I found that, here is the link: http://files.shareholder.com/downloads/ ... T21_00.pdf.
Ermolli

Postby Patr1ck on Mon May 16, 2016 1:46 pm

I thumbed through everything about Frostbite in that pdf, and I didn't get that impression.
Patr1ck
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Ermolli on Mon May 16, 2016 7:22 pm

Pdub wrote:I thumbed through everything about Frostbite in that pdf, and I didn't get that impression.

You're probably right. I thought it was worth mentioning it since I've read people taking it for sure, I'm still not convinced though.
Ermolli

Postby Patr1ck on Mon May 16, 2016 11:43 pm

However, it did say there was going to be a new and engaging way to bring players to the NBA live franchise on consoles. My guess is that it will have something to do with the mobile app.
Patr1ck
Administrator
Administrator

Postby [Q] on Tue May 17, 2016 6:46 am

Would be cool to have a companion app to make subs, call timeouts, run plays but I guess you could do that on the controller
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby ThaLiveKing on Tue May 17, 2016 8:20 am

I would love to see Frostbite with NBA Live. Those graphical details in an intimate setting will blow everything away
ThaLiveKing

Postby Andrew on Tue May 17, 2016 10:10 am

[Q] wrote:Would be cool to have a companion app to make subs, call timeouts, run plays but I guess you could do that on the controller

I like the idea of it, but much like the Pip-Boy app for Fallout 4, I'd probably end up using the in-game controls rather than the second screen functionality. That's not to say I don't think they should do it, I just think I'd personally end up neglecting it.

We discussed a few NBA Live developer Tweets in last week's episode of the NLSC Podcast, in which the NBA Live 17 announcement was one of the main topics. Here's one:

Tim Robertson wrote:Wouldnt a game have to have a release date first in order to be "delayed?" Big difference in a delay and just not launching when traditional

Of course, as noted in the Podcast, that does kind of come down to semantics. At the end of the day, EA aren't releasing a console version of NBA Live at the time they usually do, and there are concerns and risks there as a result. If nothing else, "delayed" is a more appropriate term than "cancelled", which is the word I saw popping up in the title of a lot of YouTube videos commenting on the announcement. Obviously, we have seen NBA Live games get cancelled in the past, but it's a bit irresponsible and click-baity to use that word before such time as that's actually the case.

Another Tweet of interest:

JC Delannoy wrote:Delays can be frustrating at times, but I can't wait for players to get their hands on this!

And another:

Joey Rodriguez wrote:Gotta keep putting in the work to get this thing back to where it belongs #live

Now, I couldn't fault anyone for being sceptical, but to me, taken at face value, that certainly sounds like they're working on a traditional, console version of NBA Live 17 right now, with an aim to getting the series back to where it needs to be. Circumstances can change and plans can fall through, but it doesn't sound like they're abandoning development of the console version at this time. It's possible that they've looked at the feedback they've been given from some of the prominent EA Gamechangers (and possibly myself, too; I've sent a fair bit of stuff their way), and decided they need some extra time to cover all the bases as far as the really important stuff. Going by those Tweets, that would be my speculation, at this point. I hope it pans out, but in the meantime, we just have to sit tight and wait for more details.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Next

Return to NBA Live 18