Official NLSC Wishlist for NBA Live 18

Talk about NBA Live 18 here.

Re: Official NLSC Wishlist for NBA Live 17

Postby Andrew on Fri Apr 22, 2016 2:48 am

No argument that it's disappointing, and disheartening to consider. Like I said, I hope we get a PC version at some point, along with the improvements that we desire.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby StyxTx on Fri Apr 22, 2016 5:43 am

Andrew wrote:Again, a majority of 2K's sales are on the console. That's the market that Live really wants to compete for. The numbers don't lie here: the PC market is not the primary audience, as it makes up a very, very small proportion of it. You keep mentioning 120 million Steam users, but the number of people who are interested in a basketball game on PC (or a basketball game on any platform) isn't anywhere near that. The sales figures and Steam stats bear that out; it's not even a quarter of a million right now. There is certainly value in offering up your game on as many platforms as possible, but again, the PC market is not a significant player when it comes to basketball gaming. The console versions are what sell, what makes money.

Also note that a digital only release of NBA Live is probably more likely to be available on Origin, rather than Steam.

Beyond that, you have the usual challenges of developing a PC port, and the need to focus on making improvements to NBA Live so that it's a better game that will sell more copies, on any platform. I would like to have a PC version, but it's a difficult sell.

And as I said, 2k's PC sales alone were 20 times EA's total sales. 160,000 PC sales. That is a pretty large audience. 2k isn't going to lose any of that crowd, for sure.

Releasing on Origin would even be an improvement. That's one place 2k has no foothold and never will. I have a few games from Origin.

EA doesn't have a particularly good reputation to begin with and ignoring users on a certain platform doesn't help that any.

Anyway, we'll see what happens after this year. They're losing money with the NBA license and no one in their right mind is going to continue doing something that results in them losing money every year. I still believe this year will be the last if their sales don't increase by a HUGE amount. That would be a shame cuz my opinion on 2k is well documented.
StyxTx

Postby Andrew on Fri Apr 22, 2016 10:22 am

StyxTx wrote:And as I said, 2k's PC sales alone were 20 times EA's total sales. 160,000 PC sales. That is a pretty large audience. 2k isn't going to lose any of that crowd, for sure.

No, they weren't. As per VGChartz, NBA Live 16 has sold 240,000 copies to date, which is definitely not 1/20th of 160,000. The figure you're referring to was the first week of release, not the total sales since last September.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby StyxTx on Fri Apr 22, 2016 11:23 am

Andrew wrote:
StyxTx wrote:And as I said, 2k's PC sales alone were 20 times EA's total sales. 160,000 PC sales. That is a pretty large audience. 2k isn't going to lose any of that crowd, for sure.

No, they weren't. As per VGChartz, NBA Live 16 has sold 240,000 copies to date, which is definitely not 1/20th of 160,000. The figure you're referring to was the first week of release, not the total sales since last September.

Those numbers are from Sept. Live has sold more since then but so has 2k. Also, your numbers are global numbers. 2k sold 4 times that in Sept in North America alone.

We can argue exact numbers but EA won't be able to win if they continue on with an NBA game. 2k owns it unfortunately. They should figure out another type of basketball game, college, street ball or something that 2k isn't doing.
StyxTx

Postby Andrew on Fri Apr 22, 2016 11:55 am

Even if Live has sold more copies than what VGChartz is currently reporting, we know that there are around 160,000 legitimate owners of NBA 2K16 PC - a figure that comes directly from Steam - which is less than 240,000 sales for NBA Live 16, or whatever the figure is actually at now. No matter how you slice it, Live's sales are not 1/20th of NBA 2K16 PC - it's either ~160,000 to 240,000 in favour of NBA Live 16, or ~160,000 to some figure higher than 240,000, still in favour of NBA Live 16. The up to date figure for NBA 2K16 PC is less than a possibly outdated figure for NBA Live 16 on PS4 and X1. So no, NBA 2K16 PC's sales alone were not "20 times EA's total sales".
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby StyxTx on Fri Apr 22, 2016 6:33 pm

Andrew wrote:Even if Live has sold more copies than what VGChartz is currently reporting, we know that there are around 160,000 legitimate owners of NBA 2K16 PC - a figure that comes directly from Steam - which is less than 240,000 sales for NBA Live 16, or whatever the figure is actually at now. No matter how you slice it, Live's sales are not 1/20th of NBA 2K16 PC - it's either ~160,000 to 240,000 in favour of NBA Live 16, or ~160,000 to some figure higher than 240,000, still in favour of NBA Live 16. The up to date figure for NBA 2K16 PC is less than a possibly outdated figure for NBA Live 16 on PS4 and X1. So no, NBA 2K16 PC's sales alone were not "20 times EA's total sales".

At this point in time it is obvious EA can not compete with 2k. I know 2k also shipped out 4 million games in September. I wonder how many of those have been sold to-date. 4 million to 250,000. What's that, 16 times more?

But it doesn't matter. 250,000 global sales is awful. EA needs to offer a basketball game in a niche that isn't NBA. They can't compete, especially if they are only going to try to compete in the console world where 2k dominates. Going to Origin, a platform that is strictly EA and 2k can't have access to, makes all the sense in the world but apparently their marketers really believe they will succeed on the current path they're taking. Good luck with that.

I'd buy the game if they were to get away from NBA. I despise 2k and won't buy ANY games from that clan ever again. But, as usual, with how my life goes, whenever I enjoy something it ends off disappearing. Hence, my feelings that Live is going to be coming to an end. I seem to be the kiss of death for anything I like. Restaurants, games, whatever. :roll: :lol:
StyxTx

Postby Andrew on Fri Apr 22, 2016 7:20 pm

Well, no one can make a college game, in the wake of all the lawsuits. The NBA is also still the most popular property with the biggest potential audience, and I think most people would want to have a choice when it comes to NBA titles, or at least be more interested in that. On the bright side, NBA Live 16 was better received than NBA Live 14 and NBA Live 15. They might expand their audience slightly with a PC release, and perhaps win back a loyal part of the fanbase at the same time. Bottom line, the game has to get better, but I think they have won a few people back this year, or at least have some more people willing to give them a try, and see what they can do.

At the end of the day, they need to continue to polish gameplay and animations, bring back staples such as roster editing, and expand on the game modes. I think we've been compiling some great feedback so far, which I've been sending along to the development team directly. Some of the prominent Gamechangers who have definitely not shied away from honest and constructive feedback have been doing the same, and together I think we're doing our best as a community to give quality suggestions. I remain optimistic, but NBA Live 17 will need to have a strong showing in some key areas, no doubt.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Dee4Three on Fri Apr 22, 2016 11:34 pm

Andrew wrote:Well, no one can make a college game, in the wake of all the lawsuits. The NBA is also still the most popular property with the biggest potential audience, and I think most people would want to have a choice when it comes to NBA titles, or at least be more interested in that. On the bright side, NBA Live 16 was better received than NBA Live 14 and NBA Live 15. They might expand their audience slightly with a PC release, and perhaps win back a loyal part of the fanbase at the same time. Bottom line, the game has to get better, but I think they have won a few people back this year, or at least have some more people willing to give them a try, and see what they can do.

At the end of the day, they need to continue to polish gameplay and animations, bring back staples such as roster editing, and expand on the game modes. I think we've been compiling some great feedback so far, which I've been sending along to the development team directly. Some of the prominent Gamechangers who have definitely not shied away from honest and constructive feedback have been doing the same, and together I think we're doing our best as a community to give quality suggestions. I remain optimistic, but NBA Live 17 will need to have a strong showing in some key areas, no doubt.

They need the bare essentials of a basketball game. Ive stated this before, local multiplayer dynasty is still important, especially for the younger crowd who has friends over etc. Its shocking that something as simple as allowing up to 4 players to do a dynasty isn't included. Blows my mind. Even if they go back to the features that they had in NBA Live 2003 (yes, 13 years ago), it would be a major improvement. Legends on the Free Agent list would actually be a feature NBA 2k does not have, they would have a leg up in that area. Especially if they included the players accessible in Ultimate Team. NBA 2k only has the legends available in the main game that can be gathered by taking them off the classic teams. NBA 2k is not a perfect game, far from it. I still play NBA 2k14 PC because the NBA 2k16 PC games gameplay is so frustrating and seems almost scripted. And whoever said that this game had the hardest computer AI, and the best defense, is absolutely 100% wrong. Getting by the computer on HOF is so easy, the post spin move is so overpowering, and I swear I shoot in the high 50% FG every game. "Body steals" happen so much, it completely ruins the flow of the game. PG's easily blocking big guys at the hoop, protected shots happening for no reason, I could go on and on. NBA 2k14 Next Gen, xbox one gameplay was superior to NBA 2k16 in my opinion. If it seems like I am pressing hard for changes, it's because I am really frustrated with 2k and want a more exciting basketball experience. Otherwise, Ill just keep playing modded NBA 2k14 forever.

Hopefully you pitched those bare essentials comments to them. Gameplay tweaked (smoother), with those other options would certainly make me buy the game. I would buy it right when it came out. Honestly, with the expanded game modes (the essentials), I would buy it even if the gameplay was what it was this year. They have a disconnect with their audience that is concerning.
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Check out my YouTube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvHJXrqit8Dc6HBY5P6EmAA

Follow me on Twitter

https://twitter.com/Dee4Three84
Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby StyxTx on Sat Apr 23, 2016 12:43 am

Dee4Three wrote:
They need the bare essentials of a basketball game. Ive stated this before, local multiplayer dynasty is still important, especially for the younger crowd who has friends over etc. Its shocking that something as simple as allowing up to 4 players to do a dynasty isn't included. Blows my mind. Even if they go back to the features that they had in NBA Live 2003 (yes, 13 years ago), it would be a major improvement. Legends on the Free Agent list would actually be a feature NBA 2k does not have, they would have a leg up in that area. Especially if they included the players accessible in Ultimate Team. NBA 2k only has the legends available in the main game that can be gathered by taking them off the classic teams. NBA 2k is not a perfect game, far from it. I still play NBA 2k14 PC because the NBA 2k16 PC games gameplay is so frustrating and seems almost scripted. And whoever said that this game had the hardest computer AI, and the best defense, is absolutely 100% wrong. Getting by the computer on HOF is so easy, the post spin move is so overpowering, and I swear I shoot in the high 50% FG every game. "Body steals" happen so much, it completely ruins the flow of the game. PG's easily blocking big guys at the hoop, protected shots happening for no reason, I could go on and on. NBA 2k14 Next Gen, xbox one gameplay was superior to NBA 2k16 in my opinion. If it seems like I am pressing hard for changes, it's because I am really frustrated with 2k and want a more exciting basketball experience. Otherwise, Ill just keep playing modded NBA 2k14 forever.

Hopefully you pitched those bare essentials comments to them. Gameplay tweaked (smoother), with those other options would certainly make me buy the game. I would buy it right when it came out. Honestly, with the expanded game modes (the essentials), I would buy it even if the gameplay was what it was this year. They have a disconnect with their audience that is concerning.

You're correct about 2k and that's why I'm hoping Live takes a big step forward this year. I've seen frustrated 2k players in years past, but not to the level I've seen it this year. I know increased sales of Live this year are coming from 2k players who are finally fed up. I'm included in that crowd.

2k's primary focus is microtransactions. Funny how there never seems to be any problems in aspects of the game that include those, unless it's taking someone's money then not giving them what they paid for, and when there is they get fixed PDQ.

It would be the ultimate if a game that doesn't go after microtransactions could succeed big time against a game that does. That would really give people a choice....spend more money after the sale or not? Seems like a no-brainer to me.
StyxTx

Postby Andrew on Sat Apr 23, 2016 1:04 am

Dee4Three wrote:They need the bare essentials of a basketball game. Ive stated this before, local multiplayer dynasty is still important, especially for the younger crowd who has friends over etc. Its shocking that something as simple as allowing up to 4 players to do a dynasty isn't included. Blows my mind. Even if they go back to the features that they had in NBA Live 2003 (yes, 13 years ago), it would be a major improvement. Legends on the Free Agent list would actually be a feature NBA 2k does not have, they would have a leg up in that area. Especially if they included the players accessible in Ultimate Team. NBA 2k only has the legends available in the main game that can be gathered by taking them off the classic teams. NBA 2k is not a perfect game, far from it. I still play NBA 2k14 PC because the NBA 2k16 PC games gameplay is so frustrating and seems almost scripted. And whoever said that this game had the hardest computer AI, and the best defense, is absolutely 100% wrong. Getting by the computer on HOF is so easy, the post spin move is so overpowering, and I swear I shoot in the high 50% FG every game. "Body steals" happen so much, it completely ruins the flow of the game. PG's easily blocking big guys at the hoop, protected shots happening for no reason, I could go on and on. NBA 2k14 Next Gen, xbox one gameplay was superior to NBA 2k16 in my opinion. If it seems like I am pressing hard for changes, it's because I am really frustrated with 2k and want a more exciting basketball experience. Otherwise, Ill just keep playing modded NBA 2k14 forever.

Yes, I've definitely stressed the essentials and the importance of some of the basic functionality that's missing, both in this thread and in the other materials I've submitted thus far.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby StyxTx on Sat Apr 23, 2016 6:15 am

Remove the "pass up good look" penalty. Even one of the game announcers mentions now and then to look for a great look when you have a good look. In my case, I am a horrible 3-point shooter and a great passer (I avg 13 assts/game), so if I see a player near the basket who has a good look I'll pass it to him cuz I am not going to make the 3-pointer. Even wide open, I miss them. Think the 22% 3-point pct kinda proves that. My dude is not an outside shooter.

So the open guy I pass to misses the shot because he got fouled (tho he wouldn't have gotten fouled if he hadn't hesitated so long to allow the defender to get to him) and I get hit with a "pass up good look" penalty.

No, it was not a good look for me. For Curry it would be a great look, but the one size fits all penalty needs to go.
StyxTx

Postby ThaLiveKing on Wed Apr 27, 2016 4:11 am

Hey Andrew, let's pray these dynasty features are in NBA Live 17 :bowdown:

phpBB [video]
ThaLiveKing

Postby Andrew on Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:36 am

ABSOLUTELY.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby mp3 on Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:16 pm

Didn't NHL 16 have roster management too Steven?

Roster editing and dynasty improvements are the key to being a contender again, that and brushing up on the animations and tweaking the gameplay but I think the gameplay is already pretty strong already.
Youtube - mp3 Basketball Gaming
mp3

Postby Andrew on Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:20 pm

When it comes to player movement, Xs and Os, controls, and the right players scoring and so forth, there is actually a lot of good stuff going on with gameplay. For me, it's mostly animations, control depth (without being contrived), and some AI quirks that need the most attention as far as gameplay is concerned.

Customisation and depth modes...as I've said before, that's the big thing for NBA Live 17, in my view.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby StyxTx on Thu Apr 28, 2016 6:07 am

Being able to control our player 100% of the time would be nice too. I have these times when I'm pushing the stick one way or another and my player just stands there, and stands there, and stands there. Wouldn't be so bad except the guy I'm defending is now wide open.

Another constant annoyance. I'm standing in the corner. I want my man to run straight up the sideline but for some reason he automatically takes about 2 steps toward the basket before he heads toward the top of the key.

Seems like players get sucked into animations sometimes at which time we have no control over them. The animation "magnet" really needs to be tightened up. They take effect way too far away from the opponent or action.
StyxTx

Postby Andrew on Thu Apr 28, 2016 6:27 am

Responsiveness can definitely stand to see some further improvement, I agree. I also feel there needs to be a little bit of tuning with pace, shooting percentages, and contact in the paint, but it does feel like the tech is there to be polished and utilised.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby ThaLiveKing on Fri Apr 29, 2016 2:41 am

mp3 wrote:Didn't NHL 16 have roster management too Steven?

Roster editing and dynasty improvements are the key to being a contender again, that and brushing up on the animations and tweaking the gameplay but I think the gameplay is already pretty strong already.

Yup, its has roster management, you can even name the captain of your team by switching the C onto any player. You can even save your own rosters as well
ThaLiveKing

Postby Andrew on Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:49 am

A little jealous of that, I'll admit. We desperately need it back.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby mp3 on Fri Apr 29, 2016 4:30 pm

It does amaze me that other EA Sports titles have management to have this feature but not nba live.

It's make or break for me on roster editing,

It wouldn't stop me buying the game but like last year I was more hyped for Live more so than 2k but EA let us down in that respect in the weeks leading upto the release.
mp3

Postby ThaLiveKing on Sat Apr 30, 2016 1:51 am

mp3 wrote:It does amaze me that other EA Sports titles have management to have this feature but not nba live.

It wouldn't stop me buying the game but like last year I was more hyped for Live more so than 2k but EA let us down in that respect in the weeks leading upto the release.

I think there's been stuff they've been working on since 14 that takes years to build, like the off ball stuff in Live 16 took two years to code, I think we'll see some new stuff in that regards with 17, hopefully within game play and with modes. Also I hope they add more with the crowd, similar to NHL when they score, the wave of celebration from the crowd (along with the audio) enhances the experience. Need little things like that in Live 17.
ThaLiveKing

Postby StyxTx on Sat Apr 30, 2016 6:15 am

ThaLiveKing wrote:
mp3 wrote:It does amaze me that other EA Sports titles have management to have this feature but not nba live.

I think there's been stuff they've been working on since 14 that takes years to build, like the off ball stuff in Live 16 took two years to code, I think we'll see some new stuff in that regards with 17, hopefully within game play and with modes. Also I hope they add more with the crowd, similar to NHL when they score, the wave of celebration from the crowd (along with the audio) enhances the experience. Need little things like that in Live 17.

That's something I think many people don't realize. Not everything can be programmed into sports games the first few years. The only way to get everything in is not to release it to begin with till it's complete.

Too many instant gratification people out there but that's all I'll say about them. I could go on for days on that topic. :roll:
StyxTx

Postby Andrew on Sat Apr 30, 2016 10:09 am

At the same time though, we are a few years into the reboot, and we've been hearing "next year" for a couple of years when it comes to certain staples and basic functionality, so the frustration is understandable.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby mp3 on Sat Apr 30, 2016 3:42 pm

That's the thing tho roster management isn't new to nba live we had it through the 90's-00's so why adding a basic feature that we had years ago shouldn't be that hard compared to programming a new thing like off ball movement as mentioned by Mr.King.
mp3

Postby Andrew on Sat Apr 30, 2016 3:46 pm

It does depend on how they've programmed things with the automatic updates and so forth, but yeah, it's a staple that needs to return. As I said, when it's been "next year" for a couple of years on some of these basic functions and features, gamers are naturally going to get a little frustrated and impatient.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

PreviousNext

Return to NBA Live 18