Newfound Joy Playing Live 16

Talk about NBA Live 16 here.

Newfound Joy Playing Live 16

Postby Izzy Snow on Tue Mar 22, 2016 6:07 am

It's fairly known in the Live community about my dislikes of Live 16 especially after my rant on Twitch during a Stream Team cast. Soon after that rant, my time spent with Live 16 dissipated week after week until it became a once in a blue moon type of gaming session with the game that usually would only last through one half of a game if that.

Well, over this past weekend, I found myself getting back into playing and actually enjoying the game. I played a few games of LUT and even without the standing dunks, I truly thoroughly enjoyed my time with it. I noticed a few improvements just in the general sense of the game playing more smoothly from fast breaks, plays run, a reverse 180 dunk by Iggy off a fast-break (which I recorded on Xbox), etc.

I've made it known that I always thought Live 16's graphics are actually well done and after this weekend's play time, I found myself coming out more optimistic for Live 17. If EA listens to some of the suggestions in the community wishlist, I believe Live 17's gameplay might actually rival 2K17. Yeah call me crazy but I put emphasis on gameplay because as well all suspect from the obvious, EA's dev team isn't as big as 2K's and quite honestly, most dev teams aren't as big as 2K's.

Anyway, I'm gonna continue to play Live 16 up until Live 17 comes out. I may even try and finish the master challenges. I will definitely jump back in to some Live Run as well. With that said, feel free to add me on Xbox! GT is Izzy Snow HD.

Happy gaming everyone : D

P.S. I'm editing my post because I meant to mention what factors into my newfound joy and I honestly think not playing this game while streaming on Twitch has also helped. Don't get me wrong, I loved the few faithful viewers of the channel but almost everyday, I (we) dealt with a troll asking if we thought Live was better than 2K and for someone that streamed the series for 2 years on Twitch, I gotta say it got so tiring talking to those trolls. It was like groundhog day with Live on Twitch. So yeah, I'll continue to play without streaming and maybe only post vids on YouTube here and there.
Izzy Snow

Re: Newfound Joy Playing Live 16

Postby Andrew on Tue Mar 22, 2016 8:28 am

Good to hear. I think the game has gotten better as the year has progressed - about time for me to post a "final word review", I think - and I'm still enjoying playing Ultimate Team. I want to get into my Dynasty with the Bulls a little more, but the depth of the mode (or lack thereof) makes that a little tougher. I agree there are encouraging elements and good concepts that the series can build upon moving forward, though I am hoping for some significant jumps in NBA Live 17.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Izzy Snow on Tue Mar 22, 2016 9:12 am

I was also thinking of doing a mid-season review since I was originally going to do a review at launch but held back because I was disappointed at launch. I'm not holding out for a significant jump for 17 as far as an overall product though. I can only be optimistic for gameplay. Modes, roster editing, manual passes, etc. Those things I can only hope for are added/improved. Still holding on to a slim chance of a PC version as well.
Izzy Snow

Postby Andrew on Tue Mar 22, 2016 10:51 am

I think there has to be some significant additions to the modes and customisation, because it's so overdue. Don't get me wrong, I think there'll still be plenty to add in NBA Live 18 and beyond, there's only so much that can be done in a year, but I think we can at least start getting some more depth to the modes this year. Frankly, it has to happen.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Izzy Snow on Tue Mar 22, 2016 11:21 am

Andrew wrote:I think there has to be some significant additions to the modes and customisation, because it's so overdue. Don't get me wrong, I think there'll still be plenty to add in NBA Live 18 and beyond, there's only so much that can be done in a year, but I think we can at least start getting some more depth to the modes this year. Frankly, it has to happen.

We'll see man. I guess I'm just lowering my expectations for modes so that I don't get disappointed. Sad but that's what its come to for me. At least give us roster editing in Dynasty. That's the very least.
Izzy Snow

Postby Andrew on Tue Mar 22, 2016 2:38 pm

Not a bad idea. I'm certainly not expecting anything to the level of MyLEAGUE, but simply bringing back some basic functionality (jersey number editing, transaction listings, things like that) kind of counts as a significant step in my book, because that stuff is really overdue. Same deal with roster editing.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby mp3 on Tue Mar 22, 2016 9:05 pm

I've being up and down with Live 16 all year myself guys but not as much as I have being with 2k16 surprisingly.

I just haven't being able to get the gameplay right so I can play of superstar or HOF this year, HOF has always being difficult to find that right balance but now superstar too and when I feel I have sliders I can use 2k patches something and it's off again. That and the loss of dribbling without losing the ball off a breeze from an open door has helped me play alot more nba live since they updated the Knicks KP face even tho I haven't used the knicks as much I have really enjoyed the gameplay in recent weeks and look forward to what Live 17 offers as Dynasty mode is my thing and what I crave yo be updated most along with roster management
Youtube - mp3 Basketball Gaming
mp3

Postby StyxTx on Tue Mar 22, 2016 10:36 pm

First of all, just about all the "disappointment" people get with anything is due to the fact they had their expectations set too high. Keep the expectations reasonable and there won't be so much disappointment.

Second, 2k may have a much bigger development team but most of that team is developing graphics and fluff and coming up with ways to get people to spend more money once they purchase the game. There has been little to no improvement in game play for quite a few years. People get so fired up over stuff like adding cheerleaders to presentation and the shoes in the game, and for so many that's all they care about, that they don't even realize the game play isn't all that great and isn't getting any better.

I have no doubt that if EA focuses on game play it won't be long before they surpass 2k, at least in that part. If EA sits on game play and starts adding all the fluffy stuff that has nothing to do with playing basketball I will drop Live just as I have 2k.
StyxTx

Postby Izzy Snow on Wed Mar 23, 2016 12:21 am

mp3 wrote:I've being up and down with Live 16 all year myself guys but not as much as I have being with 2k16 surprisingly.

I just haven't being able to get the gameplay right so I can play of superstar or HOF this year, HOF has always being difficult to find that right balance but now superstar too and when I feel I have sliders I can use 2k patches something and it's off again. That and the loss of dribbling without losing the ball off a breeze from an open door has helped me play alot more nba live since they updated the Knicks KP face even tho I haven't used the knicks as much I have really enjoyed the gameplay in recent weeks and look forward to what Live 17 offers as Dynasty mode is my thing and what I crave yo be updated most along with roster management

For me with 2K this year, it just took me a few games to bump up the level all the way to Superstar and I find it to be fairly balanced w/o any tweaks to sliders. I really see no reason to play on HOF other than trying to get more VC credits but I don't care for that.

I'm sure this was probably mentioned in the wishlist but I would love for Live to have online Dynasty. I know that's wishful thinking but a man can dream ; p
Izzy Snow

Postby Andrew on Wed Mar 23, 2016 12:24 am

Well, we've got to see offline Dynasty a bit more fleshed out a bit more first in my opinion, but in the long run, I think it needs to happen.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Izzy Snow on Wed Mar 23, 2016 12:25 am

StyxTx wrote:First of all, just about all the "disappointment" people get with anything is due to the fact they had their expectations set too high. Keep the expectations reasonable and there won't be so much disappointment.

Second, 2k may have a much bigger development team but most of that team is developing graphics and fluff and coming up with ways to get people to spend more money once they purchase the game. There has been little to no improvement in game play for quite a few years. People get so fired up over stuff like adding cheerleaders to presentation and the shoes in the game, and for so many that's all they care about, that they don't even realize the game play isn't all that great and isn't getting any better.

I have no doubt that if EA focuses on game play it won't be long before they surpass 2k, at least in that part. If EA sits on game play and starts adding all the fluffy stuff that has nothing to do with playing basketball I will drop Live just as I have 2k.

You may be right about other people but for me, my expectations were actually reasonable. My disappointment were for things that were present in Live 14 i.e. manual lob, bounce, and lead pass, standing dunks, and a fair way of earning coins in LUT so that you can build a decent team w/o spending real money. When they took away these things in 15, I brought it up to the devs...a lot. So to see them still not addressed in 16 was extremely disappointing. Yes adding Live Run was great. That was actually something I had suggested they bring back. But as usual with some games including Live, it's 1 step forward 2 steps back.

If they still don't fix at least these issues I mentioned in 17, I'm going to rip them on YouTube.
Izzy Snow

Postby StyxTx on Wed Mar 23, 2016 2:33 am

Izzy Snow wrote:
StyxTx wrote:First of all, just about all the "disappointment" people get with anything is due to the fact they had their expectations set too high. Keep the expectations reasonable and there won't be so much disappointment.

You may be right about other people but for me, my expectations were actually reasonable. My disappointment were for things that were present in Live 14 i.e. manual lob, bounce, and lead pass, standing dunks, and a fair way of earning coins in LUT so that you can build a decent team w/o spending real money. When they took away these things in 15, I brought it up to the devs...a lot. So to see them still not addressed in 16 was extremely disappointing. Yes adding Live Run was great. That was actually something I had suggested they bring back. But as usual with some games including Live, it's 1 step forward 2 steps back.

If they still don't fix at least these issues I mentioned in 17, I'm going to rip them on YouTube.

My comment on expectations was a general statement about everything. It wasn't targeting anyone.
StyxTx

Postby ThaLiveKing on Thu Mar 24, 2016 10:11 am

I actually find it better playing at night time. Sometimes when I play it during the day, I just turn it off after 1 quarter. If I make a video, I usually capture footage in the morning because I care less about winning the game. I find when you're talking and playing video games, the fun factor goes out the window and becomes a job. Glad you found fun in it again, the game is fun when you're really paying attention lol
ThaLiveKing

Postby Izzy Snow on Thu Mar 24, 2016 10:31 am

ThaLiveKing wrote:I actually find it better playing at night time. Sometimes when I play it during the day, I just turn it off after 1 quarter. If I make a video, I usually capture footage in the morning because I care less about winning the game. I find when you're talking and playing video games, the fun factor goes out the window and becomes a job. Glad you found fun in it again, the game is fun when you're really paying attention lol

Thanks man. Not sure if you've seen my Xbox feed but I got a bunch of recordings. I've been playing it usually while listening to my music/records.
Izzy Snow

Postby ThaLiveKing on Sat Mar 26, 2016 10:37 am

Izzy Snow wrote:
ThaLiveKing wrote:I actually find it better playing at night time. Sometimes when I play it during the day, I just turn it off after 1 quarter. If I make a video, I usually capture footage in the morning because I care less about winning the game. I find when you're talking and playing video games, the fun factor goes out the window and becomes a job. Glad you found fun in it again, the game is fun when you're really paying attention lol

Thanks man. Not sure if you've seen my Xbox feed but I got a bunch of recordings. I've been playing it usually while listening to my music/records.

Yeah I seen your Youtube video on that, I'll check ur xbox one feed when I load it up.
ThaLiveKing

Return to NBA Live 16