Official NLSC Wishlist for NBA 2K17

Talk about NBA 2K17 here.

Postby Andrew on Thu Feb 11, 2016 7:42 pm

Alright everyone, it's definitely time that we start compiling our Wishlist for NBA 2K17, so here is our official NBA 2K17 Wishlist thread. This is the place to post constructive feedback that will be submitted to the NBA 2K Development Team; that means anything from bugs that need fixing, to features that you want to see added or improved upon, to anything else you feel would make the next iteration of NBA 2K better.

A couple of notes and important suggestions on how to give the most comprehensive and useful feedback (based on previous conversations with developers):

Important Notes & Suggestions

Please keep this stuff in mind as you're posting your ideas!

• One suggested format is to post your top 15-20 wishes/suggestions for the game, ie. the 15-20 most important things that NBA 2K17 needs to do/add/improve upon. If you have a couple of extra points, that's fine, but try to prioritise. If you don't have that many suggestions, that's fine too; just post the feedback you have and want to share with the developers.

• Alternatively, post your top ten or so suggestions you have for different aspects of the game, such as gameplay, game modes, presentation, features, and so on. Again, if you have less than ten, no problem. That's a strongly suggested maximum for the lists, not a minimum.

• Make sure that you elaborate and post further details where necessary. There's no need to write an essay - there's nothing wrong with being brief, direct, and to the point - but saying things like "better gameplay" doesn't give enough feedback. Explain how you want gameplay to get better, what changes are required to see an improvement. Mention specific issues, along with relevant improvements and fixes you want to see. A few sentences or subpoints are fine, and will add clarification.

• Be constructive! No insults, flaming or bashing in this thread. If you're not interested in providing actual feedback and discussing ways to improve the game, please move along. If you want to vent about NBA 2K16, please feel free to make use of other threads in the Forum, but this is a thread for constructive feedback only. You don't need to sugarcoat things, or hold back on talking about stuff that needs to be fixed, just don't be abusive or needlessly snarky. Explaining what you think is broken or unsatisfactory, and what you want to see changed, is useful feedback. Telling the developers they're stupid, suck, and you hate them, on the other hand, is not.

• Lists of bugs that haven't been resolved in the NBA 2K16 title updates are also most welcome.

That's about it. Feel free to start posting your ideas and if you have any further questions, just ask. We'll be passing along all feedback, and will likely look at compiling a "Top Wishes" section as the Wishlist takes shape.
This topic was moved from NBA 2K16 by Andrew on Wed Jul 20, 2016 8:51 am.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: Official NLSC Wishlist for NBA 2K17

Postby Kenny on Thu Feb 11, 2016 11:45 pm

I have five that come to mind so far. I'm sure there are more, but here's what I have:

Scrap online challenges in MyTEAM: It's almost impossible to find a matchup for these... in fact, I'm never been able to find one (yet I have a loss credited to me in one of them). I think Road to the Playoffs and the Gauntlet is all the online content you need for MyTEAM.

Scrap the mascot costumes in MyPARK: They're incredibly annoying. If you're 6'6 or under, the mascot basically obscure your player entirely if you happen to be behind them, which adds another level of unfairness that isn't really needed.

No Rolling Inbounds Pass in MyPARK: It's just not needed in a game that has no time limit.

Lower the limit of players needed to get a walk-on game started in PRO-AM: Needing the full ten players to start the game can completely kill 2K PRO-AM as a mode... particularly since you only need 3 to form a team when you're not walking on. A system similar to Live would be preferable (i.e: one player hosts and starts the game at their discretion).

More consistent teammate grading: There's one thing that drives me nuts in teammate grading; when I lose the ball as a result of a reach-in foul. Losing the ball completely drains your teammate grading, yet drawing a foul only brings back about half of what you lost. So you lose progress on your teammate grade because you lost the ball after getting hacked? That needs to be fixed.
Kenny
Thon Maker's Biggest Fan.
NLSC Team Member

Postby MrVinceCarter15 on Fri Feb 12, 2016 1:11 am

MyCareer/Myplayer: 1)a chance to have body(skin) like (lebron,kobe,vince,shaq,iverson etc.) with his real animations, physics,movements not the generic that 2k created.
2) Nicknames, bring some variety for example half man half amazing, king james, black mamba, the answer, TMAC, VC, MJ
3)Arena sounds/commentary, definitely missing authentic of the arena and commentary, if your player plays and scores you don't get such sound like Kobee Bryant Lebron James VC for threee, instead you hear Freak.

MyPark: in order to stop cheating/hacking attributes , reputation, sliders definitely needs an admin to be in a park with ability to review every players attributes/stats which would be less expensive to implement then a anti-cheat.

Most important the game needs better optimization
MrVinceCarter15

Postby randallb21 on Fri Feb 12, 2016 4:06 am

Here's what I want to see (so far):

1. Remove the roster restriction or move it from 12 to 8. The NBA rules state that a team must have at least 8 active players on their roster for games. For a person like me who likes to create rosters, having a restriction like 12 can make it tougher. Bringing that number down to 8 can really help in roster builds.

2. FIBA integration. Having the Euroleague is one step closer but I want national teams. I know this has to do with licencing and I am not sure if EA still has that locked up but here's what I want to see with FIBA. Integrate the FIBA World Cup into the franchise mode of choice. Every 2-4 years in the offseason (I am thinking Olympics/World Cup but the Olympics is a whole other licencing ordeal) you get a chance to play in the the FIBA World Cup. If you are playing MyPlayer then you have to get chosen to the national team from whatever country of origin your player is from. If you are playing MyLeague/MyGM you can choose to play the FIBA World Cup. If your user team's coach is chosen to coach a national team then you get to shape the roster of the national team. With some players accepting or declining the offer. You get to choose the national team you want to play for but only have control over the roster of your coach's team. For example: I use Chicago exclusively. Let's say in the offseason Fred Hoiberg (or my user created coach) is chosen to lead France's national team. I can either A) choose to play as France and have control over who makes the team or B) Pick another national team but not have control over the roster or C) not play the FIBA World Cup and just advance to the NBA offseason.

3. To go along with MyLeague have some sort of TeamBuilder website. NCAA Football got this right back in the day and I am surprised no one has used it since. The level of customization could increase greatly.

4. Crowd effects on games. Look at the big advantage Golden State and San Antonio have at home. College Hoops 2k8 had a system like this in place. "RoarOcle" should be represented in the game.

5. Throwback options as part of relocation/rebranding. What if I want to bring back the Seattle Supersonics, Syracuse Nationals, Indianapolis Jets, or the Waterloo Hawks with real logos and uniforms from the past? Give me some hardwood classics options as my rebranding or relocation choices and let me change the color schemes while I am at it.

6. Coaching Carousel a la NCAA Football. As we have seen with this year, coaching leashes are much shorter.

7. Editable and Created Coaches tied to the roster file.

8. Divisional editing and realignment. What I mean by this is the number and names of the divisions. So I could have 5 divisions per conference or have zero divisions and just have two conferences. The 5 and the 0 are arbitrary numbers.

9. League expansion/retraction. Lets say I want a league with 40 teams and spread out the competition. Or 20 teams and make the league smaller but stronger. I would like that option.

10, Create/Update uniforms/logos. Teams are changing uniforms, adding uniforms, altering uniforms every year. Give us the option. If I am going to play 20 years with a team, I think the uniforms are going to change somewhat over those years. The Lakers uniforms have changed over the years. Yes they have the same overall feel, but they have been tweaked slightly to reflect changing times. Magic's uniforms are not the same as Kobe's.

11. Full All Star Weekend with better controls for dunk contest. The old style was better than the new Rock Band style.

Well that's all I have so far. If I think of anything else I will edit this post.
Last edited by randallb21 on Fri Feb 19, 2016 1:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
Currently Playing:
NBA 2K14 (PC)
FIBA 2K14 (PC)
Madden 16 (PS4)
NBA 2K16 (PS4)
NHL 16 (PS4)
The Golf Club (PS4)
randallb21

Postby Book_Gazette on Fri Feb 12, 2016 4:24 am

Here's my list:

1. Fix the MyCareer game mode cutscenes. They are just HORRIBLE. I have to skip them when I play this game mode. The are also unnecessary too. I really did enjoy 2K14's next gen cutscenes as they were very well scripted.
2. Improve the PC version. My computer was horrible and can't even run NBA 2K16. It could only barely run 2K15 at extreme low settings. I read a lot about the lag and stuttering and it was fixed in Patch 2. They happened to barely pay attention to this game unlike 2K15. I hope they really do. The servers are always empty and it is lonely. The only way to play online is to play the "Play Now Online" mode. They should advertise this console more, and use a normal webcam for the facescans.
3. Use the 2K16 MyTeam style. This is the reason why I got this game for. The system is very good and has barely anything bad to talk about.
4. International Teams, like in NBA Live 08-10
5. The game should not be bias to the PS4, balance it out with the other consoles too :twisted:
6. Better team building game modes.
7. Greatly improve the graphics, not like the jump from 15 to 16.
That is all I can think of
Book_Gazette

Postby eirik on Fri Feb 12, 2016 1:32 pm

List of mine is here:
1. Fix the tip off; Most player use their right hands to tip the ball.

2. Euphoria physics; Euphoria would be pretty cool with posterizers, blocks, taking charge etc. I don't expect them to add this to 2k until next gen though.

3. Better stadium lighting; Self explanatory, I think that NBA 2K15 had pretty good lighting. But 2K16's lighting is inaccurate with some teams eg. Lakers Staples Center.

4. Flopping Attribute; Pretty sure NBA wouldn't allow this but it would be nice to have a flopping attribute and realistic animations for flops.

5. Flagrant fouls; Starting some banter by pushing over a player from the opposite team would make the game better (offline only) by being able to injure star players. Once again pretty sure NBA ain't allowing this.

6. Better Presentation; TNT or MSG Presentation would make the game more immersive.

7. All Star Weekend and Blacktop games; Honestly think that they should bring back 21 and add in All Star Weekend. Dunk contest's were really fun in 2K10 (excluding the annoying commentator)

8. Shooting Form and Releases in MC; Why isn't this in NBA 2K16 in the first place? I will be pretty disappointed if they don't have this.

9. International players in MyLeague/MyGM; I want to be able to sign players from different leagues. Again not sure why this isn't in 2K16 even though teams irl sign players from different leagues.

Alright guys, that's all I can think for now. I'll edit this post if I have more ideas.

EDIT:

10. Better commentators; When I made a three with Dwight Howard the commentator said how helpful it is to a team to have a bigman that can shoot. Pretty regarding how in MyLeague he is .128 percent from the three point line.

11. Halftime Minigames; For example when you promote a half court shot to win. I want to be able to get the crowd to cheer louder or put distractions so he doesn't make it. Managing money in MyGM is difficult.
Last edited by eirik on Thu May 19, 2016 7:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
eirik

Postby jmmontoro on Fri Feb 12, 2016 2:51 pm

I think the park is a great idea in concept but one of the worst in practice. They have to figure something out other than the wait to play, you can't expect players to wait 10-15 minutes to play online, some if not most customers are likely to be very casual players and just want to log in and have some quick fun in the short time they have available.

I know there are other game modes, but the park immediately strikes as the most-fun/less-curve of them all. They need to add an area in the park that's something like a "Play now" thing, you walk into that zone and immediately adds you to the queue of players looking to play, like Pro-Am, match 4 guys and send them to a court with a stock background instead of a live feed. You can have a 2v2 play now zone, a 3v3 play now zone, etc.

You certainly can't expect casual gamers to spend 50-100 hours playing career in order to get mildly competitive in the park, nevermind the cheaters, the walkouts, the alienators, your basketball avatar needs to log a huge amount of time in order to improve it's attributes, it's irrelevant what you accomplish on the court. And this leads to my second biggest issue, the game is fun the first month or two the most, then it dies, because the reward ladder is designed to overpower addicts and it's also extremely exponential, the higher you get the more overpowered your player gets.

This year they introduced accolades which I think are a great substitute for the park, your park avatar needs to be separated from the career and his attributes need to be templates with rewards according to the accolades unlocked playing. If you grab 10 boards you get a +1 in rebounding, but these accolades need to be capped, depending on the template of your player how much you can improve on each area, all-round beasts need to go away. They seriously need to look at FIFA Pro Clubs for this.
jmmontoro

Postby TBM on Fri Feb 12, 2016 4:01 pm

My big thing would be created player customization. The face morphing for created players in WWE 2K16 is fantastic. If something like that was brought in for the NBA series, it would be great. in NBA 2K15/16, the created faces all look the same. The ability to morph as much as you can in WWE 2K16, along with the face texture importing, would be a game changer for created players and MyCareer.

Along with face morphing would be the heavily requested body types. What if I want to be skinny like Steph Curry or KD? What if I want to be more bulky like CP3 or LeBron James? I think an easy solution (although I can't comment on how difficult it would be to code) would be to let us choose real player body types. The most noticeable reason for this aside for players wanting more choices is that in some cases, created bigs look completely ridiculous. If you make a 7'2'' center with a long wingspan, he looks like Gumby. Chances are, if someone is making a 7'2'' center, they're going to want him to look like Shaq, not a point guard on stilts.

Created players in next gen have taken a back seat to MyPlayers. There are no tattoo options to be found for standard created players. My favorite gametype is MyLeague, not MyCareer, so I never get to take advantage of the tattoos, because created players don't have them.

This one is minor, but can mouth guard animations be added for created players for 2K17? I know gum chewing animations were added as a choice, but mouth guard would be nice as well.

And lastly, more beards. At least add a James Harden type beard. There is a bushy beard in the game, but it's too straight, so it doesn't look right on black players.

Oh yeah, created teams.
TBM
Contributor
Contributor

Postby voidjointx on Mon Feb 15, 2016 1:08 am

like TBM said the face morphing for cp's is a must and body types
Donations Are Appreciated

https://www.patreon.com/voidjoint
voidjointx

Postby Corymach7 on Mon Feb 15, 2016 9:37 am

Demands (which means expectations to which are required in order for me to purchase):

1. Allow us to assign players to be NBA/college coaches AND import college coaches to be NBA coaches (MyLeague)

2. When you offer a staff position to any player in MyGM, make sure that offer is doable.

3. Connected Franchise for MyLeague with up to 30 characters in combination of players, coaches (Head or Assistant), GMs (Head or Assistant) and owners (Hint: there are 30 teams)

Wishlist items (which means things that would be nice for 2K to add, but not required in order for me to purchase):

1. D-League must return from NBA 2K12 (MyLeague and MyGM)

2. Protected Draft Picks (MyLeague and MyGM)

3. Outside of MyLeague that I want is Historic team challenges
Corymach7

Postby Hiteshom on Tue Feb 16, 2016 9:01 am

Yay! I love making wishlists!

1. Make it so you can sim to now in MyLeague/MyGM so if you start a new MyLeague at All Star Break, you can just press sim to now, and it has all the current standings/stats for players/scores etc., it would be fun at the end of the season if your team is trying to push for the playoffs, if you could just go from where they are now.

2. Make All Star Break available outside of MyLeague

3. Add the skills challenge into the All Star Break.

4. Make Create-A-Team. If you make a team, you can upload the jerseys/court to the servers, or upload them onto whatever you have. It's a pain to make the same Jerseys/court for your ProAm/MyTeam/MyGM teams over and over again.

5. Make trade deadline fun.

6. Make Alternate Jerseys available in Create a team/MyTEAM/ProAm etc

7. If High School is still available in MyCareer, let us use a created team as our own.

8. This is a long shot, but it would be cool to see hairstyles change over time in MyLeague

9. Make Face Scanning easier, better (I know, it's hard :/)

10. Improve defensive aspects of the gameplay. It's hard to play with a team like the Jazz, but it would be a lot more fun if team defenses worked better.

11. Get TNT coverage! Just do it!

12. Bring back playoffs mode

13. Allow more or less than 30 teams in MyLeague.

14. Allow more than 3 teams to be rebranded in each new MyLeague if you can. I think it would be fun to rebrand the whole league
Last edited by Hiteshom on Sun Feb 21, 2016 7:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hiteshom

Postby Ric on Wed Feb 17, 2016 2:42 pm

1.Each new Jersey in SYNC can be available in the used roster.
2.More shoes could be scanned and more brands like Lining could be edited
3.In MC simulating the game would not lose the resting days
4.Buy FIBA form EA sports which can enable olympic games and make NCAAB more realistic
5.Add street basketball in MC which can just play games with teammates or other players
6.Scan some promising player from the Euro League
7.Create a special GS for all-star game like no deffence and cannot stp shooting 3s
8.all the players' jersey number can changed by self in MC
9.learn something on the colorways of shoes from EA
10.Make haedband,glasses,mask,teeth-protect available in Roster Editing
11.What's wrong with the coach of controlling team?why always him?
12.in MC,if mc score is high enough,make changing coaches and asking trading teammates can always annouce.
13.In MC,socks do need to buy anymore.Stance works with all the teammates.
14.the colour choice of casts does not depend on individuals but on teams which will never happen that some teammates wear white pads while others wear black
15.Add more patterns and fonts(Maybe from NFL)to creating Jerseys
16.Make having rests by turns(like Spurs and before playoffs)and hack-a-shaq take place in games
17.Mc could also injury.
18.Let Injuried players in suits sit in the bench
Et jette dans mes yeux pleins de confusion Des vêtements souillés, des blessures ouvertes, Et l'appareil sanglant de la Destruction !
Ric

Postby st0jke on Sat Feb 20, 2016 7:57 am

Release the game that actually works and doesn't need 5 major patches to make a game playable ?
Cheat engine blockade ?
That's all that i care of, sorry for not being into MG and mycareer socks stuff.
st0jke

Postby TBM on Sat Feb 20, 2016 10:00 am

st0jke wrote:Release the game that actually works and doesn't need 5 major patches to make a game playable ?
Cheat engine blockade ?
That's all that i care of, sorry for not being into MG and mycareer socks stuff.

:facepalm2:
TBM
Contributor
Contributor

Postby basketballmind321 on Sat Feb 20, 2016 11:19 am

My List is specific because I am all about gameplay never really cared about Graphics.

1[size=85]. Please Update game speed for nba 2k17 because nba 2k16 game speed seems way to slow would be great if you could guys please use nba 2k14 game speed system with dribbling that you had in past because it feels way realistic compared to nba 2k16 speed and dribbling system it feels way to stiff and slow ..nba 2k14 speed seems more realistic for real life speed...do some gameplay test to check if you doubt that... When I play nba 2k16 sometimes players who guard don't even react on dribble moves you do....I found it annoying when I am guard and I can't even blow by Centre even my player is quicker and speed is more in real life it's mismatch I haven't seen anyone who can stop westbrook when he splits two defenders or he is running in full steam....cpu have to force player in different directions or play sort of zone like in real life that's the only way how to stop speedy players like westbrook or john wall would be great if you guys could spend some time to improve in those things for nba 2k17 game.
2. Abillity to Load costume rosters and settings for all modes, my career included, game sliders as well please
3.Implement in game very important thing in settings intensity....for example regular season intensity ( normal) for playoffs High ...people could change this game log if they want.
4.Implement player DNA For more specific tendencies....you did great job implementing new player dribble packages and layup animations but every player in nba attacks and plays different
5. I would love to see new attribute physicality how physically player is able to play it will affect actions on court, body language because its part of game in real life ...more for big guys...and PF....other attribute would be work ethics...instead of potential ...not all the players life to their potential...so in game you can add log work ethics but max cap is 85....because some players have potential but not all they have a will to work hard...83 is allstar, 85 star work ethics that will affect boost or decrease slightly better.
6. Improve simming system and Cpu Logic.....I would love idea if you could implement team grading system like in real life when Nba does season grading for teams every year.....so in game it would look maybe like this when you choose teams Cavs (offense A-, Defense B+, Bench B, Coach C+ ...Warriors , Offense A Defense A- Bench B+, Coach A I think this system would help CPU Recognise better potential playoff teams and talent in each team because ..each player is either boosting grade or decreasing depending on players overall and skills let's say some players are great offensive but raw in defense so it will affect team grading if team gets player who is offensive gifted but will give away player or players with better defensive rating then new player will boost grade in offense but decrease grade in defense in teams overall....example my team looses two solid defensive minded guys average offensive type of player and team grades were offense C+ defense C+...I GET PLAYER WITH OVERALL 85+ VERY explosive offensive gifted but not so strong defender his overall in defense are like 68 ;) so my Team overall grade in offense will jump till B It can change to B+ if team is succesfull, chemistry is great, coaching chemistry as well...if team success are small boost then grade stays at B ...but since team lost two solid defenders type players and new player is raw...defense grade from C+ go down till C OR D+ depends how team does in defense which reflects on stats in season comparing every year. That's all please 2ksports Devs read this ;) I know you can pull it off
basketballmind321

Postby YoungMamba24 on Thu Feb 25, 2016 10:29 am

I got few customization ideas, I think those are essential for making your MyPlayer:
1. Body types;
2. Accessories - we can select between lowered and highered sleeve, wrist position etc.
3. Loose & tight jersey option;

Those are from my stand point. I was writting about this game a lot on few more forums but I think we should let 2K developers to come up with new story. I can help them just with two words: MORE DECISIONS. I would like to play HS and college more, though.

My biggest wish about NBA2K17 - Kobe Bryant cover athlete. From that point, they can build perfect MyCareer story.
YoungMamba24

Postby EMan on Thu Feb 25, 2016 4:51 pm

Coach mode. Give me and the other armchair coaches our mode back. It's been gone far too long.

10 day contracts, d-league (already requested, seconding that request, get the team licenses 2K), yadda yadda, the same stuff I wished for for 2K16 (and 2K15, 2K14, etc...).

Oh, and please, please, please, no more celeb collabs. If they want to pick the music, fine, I generally turn off all the music in the options anyway, but keep them away from any and all story based modes.
EMan

Postby dwayne12345 on Tue Mar 01, 2016 10:17 am

Create Player style templates for attributes and tendencies. Then have a randomizer that adjusts each attribute 5 points +/-. Then keep the generated rookies to these templates to prevent any unrealistic generated draft classes where a 5'11 PG is slow and can't shoot but is getting drafted in Round 1.

That would be nice. :)
dwayne12345

Postby menten on Wed Mar 02, 2016 12:23 pm

- DON'T REMOVE PLAYERS PICTURES WHEN THEY'RE TRADED!

- let us add headbands to players through the ingame editor

- let us choose how many games one season in MyGM should have, dont force us to play the full 82

- make teams use the hack-a-shaq strategy on bad FT shooters during games

- 10-day-contracts in MyGm mode

thats all
menten

Postby basketballmind321 on Wed Mar 02, 2016 12:53 pm

This message is for Mike Wang someone can pass it tell that guy to cut that 2k cheese in nba 2k17 ...how this year game is realistic if cpu makes high difficulty shots....while people missing wide open layups shots.....I'm sick and tired of overpowered cpu defense...while my team players don't pay attention to sharp shooters from three point line....what type of defense and experience is this I think I know the answer secret is this year nba 2k16 is upgraded nba 2k9 with upgraded graphics so Asian guy you not so smart ..I perfectly see why this game is so crappy...so please use at least game build which was more realistic then this crap nba 2k14 was amazing only upsetting thing was my career....that's all...and bring back ability start my career with custom rosters and settings and sliders that's all I want because you 2k guys don't give a shit about nothing ...bringing all stuff from all versions everyyear...time to do some work maybe!
basketballmind321

Postby Andrew on Wed Mar 02, 2016 2:25 pm

Just a reminder, let's keep it constructive.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Nick on Wed Mar 09, 2016 8:50 pm

My wish/suggestions are all related to MyGM / MyLEAGUE modes...

1. MISC (i'll get the quick ones out the way first)

• Create a staff member (coaches, GM's, scouts, etc)
  • EVERYTHING to do with the NBA landscape should be editable before starting a MyGM or MyLEAGUE mode. It'd be awesome to be able to edit staff members' skill grades (A,B,C,etc) and their style preferences myself. I'd like to be able to edit the owner attributes aswell (i.e. the 5 star things). And i'd like to be able to edit what freelance offense a team uses outside of a game, in the roster edit menus. It should merge into the roster file / be saveable. I wanna be able to customize the NBA landscape before i go into MyGM mode, then i can fully trust it.
  • Coach preferred styles should be viewable in MyGM mode. They currently aren't. They should also be editable in roster edit mode.
  • Keep working on dat generated rookie A.I. Maybe come up with a few hundred "player types" and generated rookies are given ratings + tendencies based on the template that got randomly assigned to them.
  • Please allow more than 10 save slots for draft classes and rosters. I like to download many draft classes and edit them myself and *then* use them in my MyGM or MyLEAGUE mode. Surely we have the technology to allow for more than 10 save slots. How about 50? Also, can we have more than 150 create-a-player slots?
  • Please allow us to edit body type and tattoos in create-a-player.
  • Create a coaching philosophy mode? Where you create your own playbooks, coaching tendencies, freelance offenses, etc. And you can save it to your system, share it, and attach it to any team (and the player's "play types" will sort out who does what for the team) in either exhibition modes or MyLEAGUE modes?

2) IMPROVE PLAYER TENDENCY PROGRESSION A.I.

Currently, players can improve their ratings but it wont necessarily improve their PPG stats if their tendencies are too low. We need to change the way tendencies interact with attributes progression MyLeague mode. Or something.

Perhaps: Can we make the Shot and Touches tendencies "glue" to a player's collective scoring attributes a bit more? So that when a player progresses, he naturally gets more offensive responsibility, because he deserves it, rather than Touches tendencies becoming outdated a few seasons simmed into the future.
No more players who can't average more than 10ppg their whole career (despite having the ability to) because they were given a low Touches tendency by whoever edited the roster, please. (or how they were generated)

Or maybe make the CPU coach gameplans ignore the tendencies a bit more, and make smarter decisions based on cpu calculations to do with player abilities/attributes instead.

Either one.

3) MORE REALISTIC DEVELOPMENTAL CURVES

Also, some tuning of player progression and regression is needed:
Progression/regression is too gradual/incremental, so the overall landscape of the NBA is too static from season to season. Not enough change like in the NBA. Change happens, but it is too gradual. In particular, vets don't regress sharply enough; stay relevant too long.

There should be a sharper jump up or down within 1 or 2 offseasons at some point before/after their peak. Young players have breakout seasons. They make striding leaps. Old players have sudden drop offs. I'd love to see that reflected in 2k, so that the NBA landscape breathes in and out like the real NBA does.

E.g. in 2k at the moment a 20 year old who's rated 70 overall with an 82 potential will go something like 70 - 73 - 76 - 79 - 82 up until their peak age. I.e. small steps that take too long break out. It should be something like 70 - 75 - 79 - 81 - 82 instead. See what i mean? The growth happens early and fast, then steady from there until they reach their peak/cap.

Same with old regressing players. At the moment a player who is rated say 82 overall passes their peak and then each year just gradually regress 2 pts, then 2 pts, then 2 pts. He stays relevant for too long, and then the young players never get the opportunities to have the baton passed down to them timely enough.
Old players get to a certain point and then it's like BANG - they're completely ineffective all of a sudden. After their peak year, a better example would be something like 82 ovrl at 32 yrs old, 80 at 33, 75 at 34, 69 at 35. See what i mean?

:idea:

AN IDEA JUST CAME TO ME: Add the ability to set the player's developmental curve.
We already have peak start & peak end. How about we attach a new value to either side of the peak?
For each side of the peak (start & end) you can have a different gradient:
1. Sharp early
2. Gradual
3. Sharp late

(maybe sharp is the wrong word, but you get the idea)

It should be editable in a player edit screen.

^ If you can imagine what i'm about to say in terms of plot graphs then this will be easy to explain. (note: graph is just an example)

So for e.g. DeAndre Jordan might have a "gradual" or a "sharp late" curve before his peak start, because the center position takes a while to learn, and his skills are raw initially. And then he might have a "sharp early" after his peak end, because once he loses his athleticism he wont be anywhere near as effective.

Whereas maybe a skilled scoring star like Curry will have a "sharp early" curve before his peak, because he already had an established skillset, and just needed to get his feet wet in the pros. And then he might have a "gradual" or a "sharp late" curve after his peak, because his game isn't based on athleticism so much. Skill-based players age better.

So in summary...
BEFORE THE PEAK:
1. Sharp early = basketball prodigies who boom (or plateau) quickly (Durant, LeBron, Tyreke, etc)
2. Gradual = small incremental steps towards their peak (most players?)
3. Sharp late = Late bloomers who breakout closer to their peak start (Korver, Dragic, Lowry, most centers, etc)

AFTER THE PEAK:
1. Sharp early = Players who drop off quickly and suddenly after their peak (usually players who rely on athleticism)
2. Gradual = incremental steps towards fathertime
3. Sharp late = They extract every last little bit of basketball from themselves, have longer lasting career, then drop off suddenly at the end (PG's, all-timers, guys who don't rely on athleticism)

There doesn't have to be massive differences between the 3 (or 6?) options, but just enough for there to be a distinct affect.

With the ability to set the "overall cap" (i.e. potential), when the cap starts, ends, and the shape of the curve towards the start and end, that would allow the ability to COMPLETELY shape a player's progression/regression curve!

4. SMARTER CPU TRAINING DEVELOPMENT

Smart CPU training schedule A.I. for the aspect of player progression that's based on training. (right now player progression of cpu players is too rounded. players get +2pts in all of the attributes, sort of thing). Training regimes should be based on player position + STAFF PREFERRED STYLES! (i.e. a SG playing for a coach who prefers "skill" over "defense" is obviously gonna get bumps in the shooting and handling and passing categories)

5. GENERATED ROOKIE A.I.

One of its flaws currently is that the tendencies lack connection to the attributes which lack connection to the badges etc. It's better than in years past, for sure, but it's still sorta random. Players lack a specific identity.

The whole reason why people spend so much time creating fictional draft classes is because it means we can create players with a specific identities. Their values connect with their own values.

I'm not sure how exactly you should tweak the generated rookie A.I, BUT i think it'd be good to think in terms of SYNERGY. Generate players whose attributes and tendencies etc are synergistic with each other. Guards shouldn't be performing dropsteps on people. Athletic defensive players shouldn't be attempting step back dribbles.

The generated heights are fine, the generated positions are fine, the generated overall ratings are fine, the amount of badges generated is fine, the balance of good and bad players is fine, the way they look isn't perfect but it's fine (compared to years past), lots of things are fine. It's mostly good, but i'm so hungry for generated players to have specific identities that make sense. I don't wanna see that the 7 foot center i just drafted has a 78 rating for speed but a low rating for dunking but a nice 3pt but shot blocking badge shot etc etc. Some things just don't make sense together. Think about which kind of player abilities are synergistic with each other and tune the generated stuff a bit?

E.g.
I'm not sure how rookies are currently generated, but what you could do is have a "player DNA" set before he is "born" into the draft, so to speak.
So, ok, this draft is gonna have an "aggressive scorer", and "faceup four", a "craft offensive guard", and an "interior defender", etc. And then after that, certain ranges should be in place for what attributes or tendencies make sense for that player. (the ranges can be loose, but their must be ranges) I'm not sure which should come first - the attributes or the tendencies - but the next step would be to generate one of the two within specific ranges, and then based the NEXT thing (whichever remains left after choosing one of attributes or tendencies to come first). Then, we have either tendencies that are based on attributes, or attributes that are based on tendencies (whichever creates better results). THEN, only certain signature animations should be avail for the type of body type, athletic ratings, and play style. Not tooooo limiting, but at least ignore big man animations for guards in the generation process.

^ I don't know if that helps at all. But at the end of the day, some sort of genius automation process must be come up with so that our generated players feel like actual unique and believable NBA prospects.

But like i said, it is better in 2k16 than it ever has been. But i still feel it is necessary to edit generated players to death, which is really time consuming. And unless i create the class beforehand, i can't even edit players in MyGM mode.

There will have to be a lot of "if" codes for generated prospects.

Examples...

- If a player has a 60 for vertical, then his range for speed is 40-75.
(then lets imagine the computer generated a number of 70)
- If a player has a 70 for speed, then his range for acceleration is 50-85-ish.
- If a player has a weight of 211 lbs, then his range for strength is 48 - 65.
- If a player has a height of 6'10", then his range for vertical is 25 - 90. And the cap goes up +2 with every inch of height he loses.
Or maybe that's too strict.

But you get the point.

There needs to be more synergistic identity within the individuals of a generated class
Last edited by Nick on Wed Mar 09, 2016 9:50 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Nick
Barnsketball
Contributor

Postby Nick on Wed Mar 09, 2016 9:17 pm

More...

6. SMART PLAYER PROGRESSION A.I. (this is my favourite / most important suggestion/wish. If you only read 1 of mine, read this one)

Player progression is better this year, but it still hasn't taken the leap that i've been hoping for for about 4 years now, and that is: player progression is too rounded / too spread out / not specialized enough. By that i mean, you mostly see +2 upgrades on most attributes (with the occasional +4 or +1 here and there). Certain ratings should grow at different rates, for different reasons, for different players, and this is not reflected in 2k yet.

Think of things this way: When NBA prospects first come into the league, they usually have an edge in 1 of 3 aspects: Skill, Will (mental), or Physical gifts (athleticism/height). I am generalizing things a lot here, but you get the point. If you think about it, each of those categories have very different growth realities. Not only that, but improvements of those categories come from different places. For example...

• Skill-based abilities are mostly developed in training/practice.
  • Mental-based abilities are mostly developed from game experience.
  • And Physical-gifts are mostly something that comes naturally. Even though athleticism can be developed (just look at Steph Curry), for the most part you are what you are. Incremental improvements only.

I would like certain skills to develop based on the player type that they are, their position, their age, and the coaching style of their training staff. I.e. you might see a "skilled shooter" SG who has a trainer who values "skills" more so than "defense", then he could improve his shooting and ball handling and passing accuracy by +5, but his rebounding and blocking should get neglected more than other things.
Did this guy get playing time as a rookie? If he was a starter, then his offensive and defensive consistency ratings should be the thing that grows the most. Say +10. If he didn't get any playing time, then it doesn't grow much at all. Say maybe +2. The main difference between young players and vets in 2k should be offensive and defensive consistency. That's the mark of experience. And it comes from game experience. This is where giving inexperienced rookies playing time should have an advantage.

If the guy is over the age of say 23, i don't want to see his athleticism ratings increase at all for the rest of his career. Once a player hits 23 yrs old and onwards then he hits his athletic prime (in terms of speed and vert), until 29 or 30 or so, athletically speaking. Though Strength can still be developed up until his late 20's.

So, here's how i would lay it out...

1) TRAINING: Attributes that are developed mostly from practice (Main age window of improvement: 18 - 28ish (depending on their "development curve" attribute, as described in idea #3))
- all of the standing shooting ratings
- all of the moving shooting ratings
- FT
- ball control
- passing accuracy
- strength! (note: not in the physical/natural section, as it is something you can build yourself)
- stamina
- post hook, post fade.
- standing layup.
- hands

^ note: these are things that can all be improved with repetition.

2) EXPERIENCE: Attributes that are developed mostly from NBA game experience (Main age window of improvement 18 - 26ish)
- offensive consistency! (wide growth margins*)
- defensive consistency! (wide growth margins*)
- shot IQ
- pass perception

* - generated rookies should come into the league with low consistency ratings. On the flip side, big gains can be made from game experience. I.e. consistency might improve +15 for a young rookie who was given starter minutes.

^ note: playoff games should have more affect on gains from game experience than regular season games.

3) NATURAL: Physical Attributes that come naturally and are tougher to develop (Main age window of improvement 18 - 22 or 23ish)
- speed
- acceleration
- lateral quickness
- vertical
- driving dunk
- standing dunk
- hustle
- (it goes without saying that height and length fall into this category too)

^ note: you will find that players either come into the NBA with these abilities or they don't, for the most part.

4) Combo of Training and Game experience
- passing IQ
- pick and roll defense
- help defense
- fouling less tendency
- low post defense
- on-ball defense

^ note: coaches can teach/train this stuff but improvements can come from game experience just as much.

5) Combo of Game Experience and Natural
- passing vision
- stealing
- reaction time
- contact dunk

^ note: these things are largely innate abilities, but can improved from playing the game too.

6) Combo of Natural and Training
- driving layup (partly natural because layups are half about body balance/control/coordination)
- defensive and offensive rebounding (ever noticed how most players come into the league as rebounders or they don't? You can train some of it though)
- post control (natural because of the body coordination required, but it can also be improved via training)
- blocking

7) Combo of all three
- shot contest
- draw foul
- box out

^ All of this should vary slightly depending on the player type, position, coaches, peaks, and whatever else. And some things should have narrower/wider growth margins than others. But this is great start imo.

Tendencies should also be put into these categories also, AS THEY ARE JUST AS IMPORTANT AS ATTRIBUTES IN THIS GAME, let's face it.

And as for regression, there should be a simple rule of thumb: THE ATTRIBUTES IN THE NATURAL/PHYSICAL SECTION ARE THE FIRST TO GO DOWN. And they should have a sharper decline than the other ratings. This is really the only reason why vets decline, the physical attributes. The last to regress is the atrributes in the EXPERIENCE/MENTAL section. And it shouldn't actually go down very much at all, if at all! Player's don't lose their mental traits, they lose their body ability, and then the skills that stem from their body's capacities.

*deep inhale*
Last edited by Nick on Wed Mar 09, 2016 10:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Nick
Barnsketball
Contributor

Postby Nick on Wed Mar 09, 2016 9:31 pm

7. I'd also like to see player comparisons brought back for scouting draft prospects.

Maybe use a different formula than last time. I.e. split comparisons into 3 or 4 tiers.
-For players with potential above say 85+ (stars), only certain player comparisons will be available: guys who had an 85 overall or higher at the peak of their career. Say, your John Walls, your James Hardens, your Kevin Durants, your Boogie Cousins, etc etc. Base the comparison on skillsets from players that have been above 85 in the past.
- Tier 2 should have players who peaked at say 78 - 84 (starters). Your David Wests, your Gerald Wallaces, your Marcin Gortats, your Reggie Jacksons, your Wes Matthews, etc.
- Tier 3 should be guys from say 71 - 77 (rotation/bench guys). Your Aaron Brooks, your Udonis Haslems, your Omer Asiks, your Corey Brewers, your Cody Zellers, etc.
- And then Tier 4 is guys 70 or below (journeymen/scrubs). Your Kyle Singlers, your Cameron Bairstows, your Joel Anthonys, your Toney Douglas's, etc.

Don't be afraid to dip into retired players either, as they have a more defined "peak overall". I.e. people will know exactly what tier you mean when you compare someone to say Bob Sura, as opposed to a player who is still developing like John Henson.
But maybe make the cut off date for retired players at 2005 or something to appease our younger generation. Players that played at least 1 season after 2005 might be the best plan of attack, for players that aren't well known. This would make players available that offer a clear comparison. I'm talking about players like Michael Finley, Chauncey Billups, Andrei Kirilenko, Lamar Odom, Mike Bibby, Al Harrington, Raja Bell, Erick Dampier, Peja Stojakovic, Tyronn Lue, Eddy Curry, Ben Wallace, Marcus Camby, DeSagana Diop, Bruce Bowen, Richard Hamilton, Yao Ming, Tmac, Brevin Knight, Chris Wilcox, Jeff Foster, Ricky Davis, Antawn Jamison, etc etc.

Could even use some well-known players from the 80's and 90's (i.e. Patrick Ewing didn't play after 2005 but everybody knows him).

The more comparison options the better, as it allows more depth and accuracy with scouting.

By the way, comparisons should be based off what your scout THINKS the prospects skills are, not what they actually are. I.e. so comparisons should be dynamic and change as scouts gather more information.

8) Increase the ALL Time leaders listing in the various stats category.

Making history is half of the appeal of MyLeague and MyGM mode. It'd be so much fun to see the progression of current players up the all-time leaders lists. Top 25 in each category would be good. Right now it just lists the leader.

9) Fix the "dish to open man" tendency bug in generated draft classes.

Currently all non-point guard players in generated classes are given very low "dish to open man" tendencies (anywhere between 0 and 10), which results in all non-PG players averaging like 0.4 assists over their career. It completely skews the stats and makes things unrealistic, ruining MyGM and MyLEAGUE modes in 2k16 once they get beyond the 5th-10th year. (unless you make custom draft classes, which is very time consuming and 2k only allows 10 save slots for everything.
Please increase save slots also.
Nick
Barnsketball
Contributor

Postby I Hate Mondays on Wed Mar 09, 2016 10:33 pm

Some kind of training before the actual game. Like two or three drills which can be skipped.
I Hate Mondays

Next

Return to NBA 2K17