A Look at Basketball Video Game Story Threads (Monday Tip-Off)

Tell stories based on your franchise and career mode games here.

A Look at Basketball Video Game Story Threads (Monday Tip-Off)

Postby Andrew on Tue Jan 12, 2016 8:34 am

For those who may have missed it, in this week's Monday Tip-Off, I discussed our story threads, and considered how this section might recapture some of its former popularity. I figured new and long-time story thread enthusiasts alike might be interested, so here's the link!

Monday Tip-Off: A Look at Basketball Video Game Story Threads

If you’ve browsed the NLSC Forum, chances are you’ve noticed our Basketball Video Game Stories section. It’s a place where you can entertain your fellow basketball gamers with ongoing coverage of your exploits in NBA Live and NBA 2K, whether you’re playing through the franchise or single player career modes. Over the years, we’ve had some very creative and popular story threads, many of which are now enshrined in our two Story Hall of Fame subsections, so that we can easily go back and enjoy them all over again.

However, story threads have somewhat fallen out of fashion. While we still have gamers posting in the Basketball Video Game Stories section – and we certainly encourage everyone to make use of it, if they feel so inclined – it sadly seems that we’re past the heyday of the story thread. There are a few reasons for this, which I thought I’d explore in today’s Monday Tip-Off, in addition to shining a spotlight on the section and the practice of maintaining story threads in general.

So, what are story threads all about, what was so enthralling about them, and why are they kind of becoming a thing of the past?
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: A Look at Basketball Video Game Story Threads (Monday Tip-Off)

Postby Hg8Harrier on Tue Jan 12, 2016 3:00 pm

I know that this isn't good netiquette, as I don't have anything to add, but thanks for bringing attention to this forum. I miss seeing some of these long-lived dynasty runs. Hope to add my own, eventually.
Hg8Harrier

Postby Andrew on Tue Jan 12, 2016 6:00 pm

Nothing wrong with your post at all, I'm glad to hear that you read the article and that it resonated with you. :)
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Martti. on Thu Jan 14, 2016 2:48 am

I would love to read it, but I'm getting a "stop spammers" page instead. I've been away from this page for a while, so I'm not sure if this happens to anyone else.
Martti.
#HeatLifer

Postby Andrew on Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:06 am

I've added your IP/account to the whitelist over on the main page, so you should be able to see it now. Please let me know if you're still encountering any issues!
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Solaris Phase Two on Fri Jan 15, 2016 8:15 am

I think the popularity has fallen off due to lack of updates honestly. I know im not one to talk given my history in that section but sometimes stories aren't updated for months and people lose interest
Solaris Phase Two

Postby Andrew on Fri Jan 15, 2016 8:45 am

I think there's a vicious cycle, where people lose interest in maintaining stories, leading to lack of interest in them, leading to further disinterest and lack of motivation to maintain them, and on it goes. As to what started the cycle in the first place, I do still think that changing times and demographics played a role in that.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Kevin on Fri Jan 15, 2016 3:42 pm

I feel like a return of a well-known member in this section would probably make this more active again. Their stories were the best in my opinion and I shamelessly copy some of their styles to my stories.

Ex. Sit, Kenny, Andrew, Martti, Phil89, The X, etc.

I mean do you really want to read a story thread of a member that ALWAYS chooses the Lakers? Psh.
Rest In Peace Kobe
Kevin
Fuck the Celtics

Postby Andrew on Fri Jan 15, 2016 7:37 pm

It's flattering to hear you say it, but it's a similar situation to modding in that there comes a time when people do move on, even if they're still around the community. There has to be turnover, and new people stepping up; of course, as I said in the article, it could be that it's an activity whose era is drawing to a close. It remains to be seen.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Martti. on Tue Jan 19, 2016 8:28 am

Yes, working fine now. :)

It is sad this section has dropped off, I haven't updated myself in months either. Real life comes first and you just don't have the time.
I'll try to update my latest story some time in the near future.
Martti.
#HeatLifer

Return to Stories from the Virtual Hardwood