NBA Live Core Broken

Talk about NBA Live 16 here.

NBA Live Core Broken

Postby Dee4Three on Thu Oct 08, 2015 5:16 am

Hi all,

This is coming from a old fan of the Live games. I purchased NBA live games all the way up until 2005 (I bought Bulls vs Blazers when I was 7 with allowance money...). I cannot figure out for the life of me why they continue to keep the gameplay mechanics the same every year. The herky Jerky shots ruin the whole flow of the game, the post game has been broken for as long as I can remember, the dribbling moves for the most part are far to subtle to do any damage to a defender and get to the hoop. I will admit there were certainly a few improvements this year... I feel like dunks feel much more natural, the pace is better, the shooting feels SLIGHTLY better,and I actually enjoy the visuals. But they need to scrap this engine and start from scratch. I also wonder how they can release the game each year with such limitations. We used to get 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s and 00s teams from Live, or atleast classic players in the free agent pool. Now we are extremely limited on not only what we can do with current rosters, but what can be done with classic players. They are not available outside of Ultimate team, and we cant even really edit players anymore.

Also, PC still has a big market, 2k is smart for keeping that market alive. Live should go back into the PC market, they may even get more business that way considering the modding community will attack the game like crazy.

I am slightly dissapointed with 2k's gameplay this year (I hope it gets patched), so I was hoping for a better product from Live. Sadly again, I am really dissapointed...
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Check out my YouTube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvHJXrqit8Dc6HBY5P6EmAA

Follow me on Twitter

https://twitter.com/Dee4Three84
Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Re: NBA Live Core Broken

Postby Andrew on Thu Oct 08, 2015 8:35 am

Scrapping the engine and starting over from scratch is what set the series back in the first place. That's absolutely the last thing they should do at this point.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby Dee4Three on Thu Oct 08, 2015 10:37 pm

Hey Andrew,

I think my first post had a lot to do with frustration in the moment. I tend to agree with your comment after thinking about it a little more. If they were able to make a few improvements that myself and others liked from 15 to 16, they may be able to make a few more improvemtns for 17-18 that makes them competitive.

I just wish the options/modes for us were not so limitied. The fans deserve better.
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Fri Oct 09, 2015 11:50 am

Oh, there's definitely work to be done, no question. But the improvements are there, they have a foundation to build upon. Starting over would be back to square one, back to NBA Live 13/NBA Live 14.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby Phreak50 on Fri Oct 09, 2015 7:39 pm

Yeah definitely don't start from scratch.

I don't think we'd ever see another Live game in our lifetime if they scrapped the engine now.

The best way I can describe 16 is inconsistent.

There positives are really, really good (there's even some superb animations in the game). But the negatives (funky animations, post play, lack of editing) are really bad.

I said it in another forum but the scary thing is some of the negatives weren't there in 14 and 15 and although 16 is the better game of the current generation of Live, 14 and 15 actually had some good features which were (mind bogglingly so) removed. For all the positives strides the game has made, seeing things removed for no reason (and also seeing the game take such a nosedive with 'Elite') removes a lot of the confidence reassurance it will keep getting better.

I just hope EA continue to listen to player feedback.
Phreak50

Postby [Q] on Wed Oct 14, 2015 2:17 pm

Phreak50 wrote:seeing things removed for no reason.

If it's in the game, we're taking it out
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby JBulls on Thu Oct 22, 2015 1:21 am

The foundation itself is majorly flawed and obsolete. Mixing old and new technology hasn't worked out very well for them gameplay-wise imo. It reminds me of the liberals plan to mix copper and fibre tech for the nbn. grrr...
JBulls

Postby Andrew on Thu Oct 22, 2015 8:35 am

I think a lot of the gameplay mechanics are actually sound - you see player movement, more plays being run, dribbling controls work and are more responsive this year, there's more fluidity than NBA Live 14 and NBA Live 15 - but those old animations need to go, especially in the paint. When something is newer and looks good, it looks really good. But the outdated and awkward animations are still there, and when they pop up, it's not pretty.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby dwayne12345 on Fri Oct 30, 2015 3:04 am

I just downloaded the PS4 demo and it's better than I remember it being the last time I played it (which was nba 11 I think).

I was an NBA Live guy up from '95 until about '08. I gotta say this game surely lacks in customization which means I wont be buying it until they catch up from that aspect but the presentation is fun.

There's plenty of work to do but I think they made a fun single basketball game.

Again my issue is not even having basic customization makes this game not even a potential purchase for me.
dwayne12345

Postby ThaLiveKing on Fri Oct 30, 2015 4:48 am

Honestly, the core isn't broken, I think it just needs to be tweaked and fine tuned. I wish they would open the ratings so we can mess with them. We could give them so much more feedback that way!!!
ThaLiveKing

Postby Andrew on Fri Oct 30, 2015 8:25 am

Roster editing is a must, no question.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby mp3 on Fri Nov 06, 2015 5:17 pm

Absolutely, think them not having this in it this year was the biggest let down for me and reason why I didn't rush out and buy the game.

EA's roster management is terrible.
Youtube - mp3 Basketball Gaming
mp3

Postby Dee4Three on Sat Nov 07, 2015 12:29 am

The ability to Roster edit, the ability to use multiple teams in a franchise mode (like dynasty mode), and changing some of the animations could make this game compete. Its to limited and to glitchy right now.

Oh, and a PC version.... People would go nuts if they released for PC, modding on NBA Live back in the day was awesome... People are still modding games like Live 2000 for christ sake.

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby Beavis_5000 on Tue Jan 05, 2016 8:05 am

There are many things in this thread I can agree with such as classic players and all that but one thing I can not agree with is the limitations on dribbling and broken post. You can put moves all over people with both. I leave people in the dust with cross overs.

As far as post, I wont speak too much on that since I have been playing mostly Live Run but from the Head 2 Head I have played, I have abused people in the post as usual in NBA Live unless they actually know the appropriate way to defend against it.

If there is anything that needs sharpened up a bit it is icon passing imo. Passes with icon passing should be as sharp as passes with R1 and right stick. I dont think we should have to sacrifice the sharpness of our passes to gain control of where we pass. I would like to see more bounce passes, use of better passing lanes and sharper passes as it seems like my dude throws lazy passes even with a 90 passing ratings.
Beavis_5000

Postby [Q] on Tue Jan 05, 2016 3:55 pm

Yeah I was very disappointed with the delay/non-responsiveness with the stick passing. It doesn't even actually pass like half the time I use it

In NBA Live 10, I'd have that button pressed down for almost the whole offensive possession
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Return to NBA Live 16