PC Crash Reports

Talk about NBA 2K16 here.

Re: PC Crash Reports

Postby joosegoose on Thu Oct 15, 2015 8:15 am

xerion wrote:Thanks Leftos. I indeed have seen the videoconfig help file. The thing is, I get no FPS boost when I choose medium setting for textures. I knew this comment would come from you or your colleagues. I was able to run 2K15 even on higher quality settings and had smooth experience. Yes I know it's evolving, but I believe something is just wrong with the engine. My only problem now is not stable 60 FPS as it goes as low as 45 during gameplay, no matter the textures setting.

I don't have much to add to this, other than it mirrors my experiences with both 2k15 and 2k16 (and their textures) almost exactly. Never experienced a crash with either.
joosegoose

Postby MilanSt on Thu Oct 15, 2015 8:36 am

latest crash in RTTP, with the latest beta driver you recommended though... Maybe it can be of some use.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MilanSt

Postby Leftos on Thu Oct 15, 2015 11:19 am

UniversalNoob wrote:I have another one, hope this is the right thread for it, because it's not a crash to desktop.

Whenever me or my opponents changes their defensive settings or coach settings the game will show an error message soon after leaving the pause menu back into the gameplay. It says "a problem has been encountered that prevents gameplay from continuing. This game will not be counted."

I talked to some fellow engineers and we believe this should be fixed for the upcoming PC patch. Let me know if you're still encountering this after it's released.
Eleftherios "Leftos" Aslanoglou
NBA 2K AI Software Engineer
Visual Concepts Entertainment / 2K Sports

Used to be "That Tools Guy" around here during the good ol' days. Although you probably remember me as your favorite Podcast host.
Leftos
I'm The Pipeline, The Pipeline Is Me
NBA 2K Developer

Postby Apox on Thu Oct 15, 2015 8:21 pm

Ok I bought NBA2k15 ...game ran like a charm, for the whole first season.. after a few ( I assume) steam updates all of a sudden it crashed like crazy...I even went in and out of games during halftime to save the game just to preserve my performances as it was only doing this in the 4th quarter initially..but after a while it started to do so in Q1 as well..after going on like this for 2 months I thought the hell with it...NBA2k16 came out.. I was really hesitant about buying it..my wife and kids gave this to me as a SURPRISE..I thought let's hope the crashes were 2k15 related..downloaded the game and started playing..high school game 1 and 2 ran like a charm all of the sudden same ish as 2k15.

* First it crashed to my desktop which I didn't find that annoying, quick control tab and dunk on LJ
* Now it crashes and I get an "out of signal" sign and need to do a hard close shut down on my desktop as even a reset is a nono

This happens in-game on my career as that is the only mode I enjoy

it seems like when it's crashing somehow the videocard can't be activated. If I press reset on my pc, I can hear my pc re-boot but I can't see it on my screen. I really need to turn it off and than on again for me to see the re-boot on my monitor.

I run on:

Nvidia GeForce GTX 750 Ti
Intel® Core i7-4790, 3,6 GHz
C drive 978 GB free space
Memory 16GB Ram screen 4GB
Directx: version 11

I run on the latest nvidia driver update 358

So I am well within the system requirements....

Methods tried so far:

delete the videosetting.cfg file

I'm not at home so i can't post my videosetting file and I really didn't know it got a crash report.

I hope you can help me out leftos
Apox

Postby jk31 on Thu Oct 15, 2015 11:07 pm

Leftos wrote:
UniversalNoob wrote:I have another one, hope this is the right thread for it, because it's not a crash to desktop.

Whenever me or my opponents changes their defensive settings or coach settings the game will show an error message soon after leaving the pause menu back into the gameplay. It says "a problem has been encountered that prevents gameplay from continuing. This game will not be counted."

I talked to some fellow engineers and we believe this should be fixed for the upcoming PC patch. Let me know if you're still encountering this after it's released.

You're the best! Been having this problem since NBA 2k15. Really looking forward to it finally getting fixed!
jk31

Postby enzoli on Thu Oct 15, 2015 11:21 pm

So glad to see I'm not the only one who suffer crashes.
Bought the game September 25th, played 2 awesome weeks without any problem apart lagging. I saw on the internet that turning off v-sync and setting full-screen windowed helped and it did.
Until the update came out and now my game crashes systematically at the beginning. Sometimes, I get to play till 3rd quarter. I'm stuck at the same MyCareer match for days now without being able to play through it.
When crashes occur, games shut down and comes back to desktop without any message.

I spent hours on the internet looking for solutions.
I already tried many combinations for graphics settings.
My drivers are up to date
My specs are good enough to play the game
I checked that my hardware wasn't faulty
I'm out of ideas and it drives me crazy because the game was playing fine since that "patch" which was supposed to "improve" performances.
Now I'm only looking to go back to what I had... :(

If you can look at my files I'd be grateful.

Edit: my steam name is olivierste
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
enzoli

Postby Leftos on Fri Oct 16, 2015 3:58 am

Apox wrote:Ok I bought NBA2k15 ...game ran like a charm, for the whole first season.. after a few ( I assume) steam updates all of a sudden it crashed like crazy...I even went in and out of games during halftime to save the game just to preserve my performances as it was only doing this in the 4th quarter initially..but after a while it started to do so in Q1 as well..after going on like this for 2 months I thought the hell with it...NBA2k16 came out.. I was really hesitant about buying it..my wife and kids gave this to me as a SURPRISE..I thought let's hope the crashes were 2k15 related..downloaded the game and started playing..high school game 1 and 2 ran like a charm all of the sudden same ish as 2k15.

* First it crashed to my desktop which I didn't find that annoying, quick control tab and dunk on LJ
* Now it crashes and I get an "out of signal" sign and need to do a hard close shut down on my desktop as even a reset is a nono

This happens in-game on my career as that is the only mode I enjoy

it seems like when it's crashing somehow the videocard can't be activated. If I press reset on my pc, I can hear my pc re-boot but I can't see it on my screen. I really need to turn it off and than on again for me to see the re-boot on my monitor.

I run on:

Nvidia GeForce GTX 750 Ti
Intel® Core i7-4790, 3,6 GHz
C drive 978 GB free space
Memory 16GB Ram screen 4GB
Directx: version 11

I run on the latest nvidia driver update 358

So I am well within the system requirements....

Methods tried so far:

delete the videosetting.cfg file

I'm not at home so i can't post my videosetting file and I really didn't know it got a crash report.

I hope you can help me out leftos

This sounds like your hardware is being pushed way too hard and it's shutting down. Either your PSU doesn't have enough juice, or your GPU is climbing to very high temperatures. I would say turn V-Sync on if you haven't already, and make sure you don't overclock. Even after deleting your videosettings file, go into the video settings and try lowering some things. Try watching your GPU's temperature, see if it's climbing up way too high. I'll ask for more suggestions. If you have a crashreport you can give me, that might help too.

Used to be "That Tools Guy" around here during the good ol' days. Although you probably remember me as your favorite Podcast host.
Leftos
NBA 2K Developer

Postby Leftos on Fri Oct 16, 2015 4:02 am

enzoli wrote:So glad to see I'm not the only one who suffer crashes.
Bought the game September 25th, played 2 awesome weeks without any problem apart lagging. I saw on the internet that turning off v-sync and setting full-screen windowed helped and it did.
Until the update came out and now my game crashes systematically at the beginning. Sometimes, I get to play till 3rd quarter. I'm stuck at the same MyCareer match for days now without being able to play through it.
When crashes occur, games shut down and comes back to desktop without any message.

I spent hours on the internet looking for solutions.
I already tried many combinations for graphics settings.
My drivers are up to date
My specs are good enough to play the game
I checked that my hardware wasn't faulty
I'm out of ideas and it drives me crazy because the game was playing fine since that "patch" which was supposed to "improve" performances.
Now I'm only looking to go back to what I had... :(

If you can look at my files I'd be grateful.

Edit: my steam name is olivierste

- Are you playing the game connected to the internet?
- Does the game look like it's connected to the servers?
- Can you tell me which teams were playing when you encountered this crash?

Leftos
NBA 2K Developer

Postby enzoli on Fri Oct 16, 2015 4:41 am

Hi Leftos,

Thank you for your answer. My PSU is 500w and my hardware should consume around 400w.
I don't overclock any part of my hardware.
I've checked my gpu temp every minute when I got the chance to go to 3rd quarter. It went to 68°C, which is good I guess.
I thought about RAM malfunction but I did a memtest86+ with everything fine.

If it would be hardware, wouldn't have it crashed earlier? I mean I played like a whole month of my first pro season in MyCareer with no problem and now it suddenly crashes.

I'm playing connected to the internet yes and I guess I'm connected to the servers since I can watch 2kTV last episode with Shaq and my VC earned with the NBA2K app are up to date.
My game crash when playing Miami with my player playing for the Knicks. Can't go further than this.

I'll try deleting the videosettings file then and trying to play with much lower settings to see. And also using V-Sync.

I'll get back to you. Thank you so much for your help.
enzoli

Postby enzoli on Fri Oct 16, 2015 4:52 am

Well it just crashed again. :cry:

I've uploaded my new videosettings and crash report.

Thanks for your help

Edit : Crazy, but I just tried to play a MyCareer game from another MyPlayer and it works fine.
So I guess my savegame is corrupted or something.
I tried a local file check with steam but it found no problem...
enzoli

Postby Leftos on Fri Oct 16, 2015 6:00 am

enzoli, you confused my first answer to Apox with my answer to you. I never claimed hardware was the issue with your setup. The fact that you can play in other saves with other teams is good. I'm pretty confident your save isn't corrupted, your crash looks to be specific to one of those two teams in the AI side, so I'm talking with the AI team to figure out how we can fix this. This might be potentially something we can fix OTA without the need for a new patch, but I haven't gotten confirmation yet.

Leftos
NBA 2K Developer

Postby enzoli on Fri Oct 16, 2015 6:32 am

Yes I realized that too late.

As you mentioned it could be linked to a particular AI opponent, I tried simulating till the end so that I could try the next opponent.
I thought for a moment that my problem was fixed because I could reach the half-time.
Then at the half time show (after the cut-scene where players enter the locker room in tracksuit) the cheerleaders had their head all scrambled with weird green colors and moving everywhere. Also had other graphic in the background all messed up.
This last few seconds until my screen went black and my computer froze. I had to reboot it manually... :(

Sounds like hardware issue but I'm running other games fine and as I told you before, I tried all kind of test to detect a hardware failure and I found nothing.

In case it could help, here is my crash report attached.
enzoli

Postby Apox on Fri Oct 16, 2015 7:17 am

This sounds like your hardware is being pushed way too hard and it's shutting down. Either your PSU doesn't have enough juice, or your GPU is climbing to very high temperatures. I would say turn V-Sync on if you haven't already, and make sure you don't overclock. Even after deleting your videosettings file, go into the video settings and try lowering some things. Try watching your GPU's temperature, see if it's climbing up way too high. I'll ask for more suggestions. If you have a crashreport you can give me, that might help too.

Leftos seems like your right about my issue. I've downloaded speedfan to check my comps temp and yes i'm overclocking hard when 2kis running. Check the images.
So what can I do to get this fixed. Buy a new fan or new PSU?

Also went into eventviewer for crashreport and got this:
- System

- Provider

[ Name] Application Hang

- EventID 1002

[ Qualifiers] 0

Level 2

Task 101

Keywords 0x80000000000000

- TimeCreated

[ SystemTime] 2015-10-13T21:28:51.000000000Z

EventRecordID 105362

Channel Application

Computer WIN81H64

Security

- EventData

GFExperience.exe
01d105fcd433b43f
C:\Program Files (x86)\NVIDIA Corporation\NVIDIA GeForce Experience\GFExperience.exe
60c023f6-71f1-11e5-8316-bcee7be24ab6

55006E006B006E006F0077006E0000000000

It also says in custom view that the source is Kernel-power / eventID:41/ Task category (63)
This is what the details says:

- System

- Provider

[ Name] Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power
[ Guid] {331C3B3A-2005-44C2-AC5E-77220C37D6B4}

EventID 41

Version 3

Level 1

Task 63

Opcode 0

Keywords 0x8000000000000002

- TimeCreated

[ SystemTime] 2015-10-15T19:44:22.829341200Z

EventRecordID 123625

Correlation

- Execution

[ ProcessID] 4
[ ThreadID] 8

Channel System

Computer WIN81H64

- Security

[ UserID] S-1-5-18

- EventData

BugcheckCode 0
BugcheckParameter1 0x0
BugcheckParameter2 0x0
BugcheckParameter3 0x0
BugcheckParameter4 0x0
SleepInProgress 6
PowerButtonTimestamp 0
BootAppStatus 3221225684

Hope this is helpful
Apox

Postby Leftos on Fri Oct 16, 2015 7:41 am

Apox, I can't really make a recommendation either way. Your GPU temperatures look fine, but if the System and Auxiliary readings are accurate, there's systems in your tower where the temperature reaches above 100oC, which is crazy dangerous. As far as I know, 90oC is the max recommended operating temperature to avoid damage, however your CPU and GPU seem a safe amount below that.

Nor can I really know that your PSU is failing, but it does sound like it from the symptoms as you describe them. If there's a computer hardware store you trust around town, you might want to ask for their recommendations. Don't get ripped off and don't buy anything you don't need. Some better tower and CPU ventilation can't hurt. If that doesn't help, it might be that a new PSU is required. If there's a store that could try either on your rig free of charge or for cheap and to find out exactly what you need to upgrade/replace, I'd go with them.

Again, it's not my place to tell you to buy specific hardware. I don't want to make a recommendation and have you spend your money only for your issues not to be resolved. So the only thing I can recommend is to find someone or a shop you trust, and have them try a few parts while running the game as a benchmark. If you give them the steps that make your system hardlock and shut down, they might be able to try them to figure out if they fixed the issue or not.

Leftos
NBA 2K Developer

Postby Apox on Fri Oct 16, 2015 9:27 am

Thanks leftos I will have it checked this weekend. I will try to clean it first as maybe because maybe dust is the culprit. I have my desktop below my desk instead of on top and it might be pick a lot more dus that way. I will keep you posted. I never checked these things but I believe now that I will make it my priority now
Apox

Postby faizdtk on Fri Oct 16, 2015 8:18 pm

Apox wrote:

Leftos seems like your right about my issue. I've downloaded speedfan to check my comps temp and yes i'm overclocking hard when 2kis running. Check the images.
So what can I do to get this fixed. Buy a new fan or new PSU?

Hope this is helpful

Do you stress test your pc using prime95 when overclocking?
Have you try using different software to check the temp? Try using hwinfo.
faizdtk

Postby joosegoose on Sat Oct 17, 2015 7:55 am

First ever crash. I was designing away uniforms, and the game crashed when I tried switching to the home set.
joosegoose

Postby Leftos on Sun Oct 18, 2015 2:55 am

enzoli, I was told that your first issue regarding crashing with those particular teams in your MyCAREER save might be fixed with this morning's off-the-air data update. Can you try again?

Leftos
NBA 2K Developer

Postby enzoli on Sun Oct 18, 2015 4:51 am

Hey Leftos,

I couldn't play against the same team that crashed earlier as I simulated that game to see if the next one worked (which didn't at the time: see my last post).
But what I can say is that I managed to finish my first career game since a week today! :D
I don't know what you guys changed but my problem seems gone for now (finger crossed). :bowdown:
On the next one and see if it last.

Thank you so much for your help. I might be able to play my favourite game again (Y)

EDIT : Thanks a lot Leftos. My game now works fine. I've been playing 4 games with no problem. (Y)
enzoli

Postby Mike63 on Sun Oct 18, 2015 9:16 pm

Hi there, my game started to crash after i watched the 4th episode of 2ktv,so every time i try to enter my career,freestyle or any gameplay it crashes on the loading screen.
My steam ID: Flash
I am in Bosnia and Herzegovina, time zone: (UTC+01:00) Sarajevo, Skopje, Warsaw, Zagreb
Mike63

Postby Apox on Mon Oct 19, 2015 7:43 pm

Hey guys it's working for me now, One of my fans was covered in a think layer of dust therefor preventing the system to cool down. When I cleaned it it worked fine. Although leftos that doesn't mean my system is as it should be because from starting up my PC I get a high system reading so something most definitely is not right. I need to have it checked, because I don't know what is causing it.

I used speedfan and hwinfo like faizdtk recommended and both give me the same readings. With the stress test I need to find out how it worked but If I read it correct I think when my GPU and CPU are around 90-ish than it's shut down. If you have a more noobfriendly program please recommend it to me.

I would suggest for all that have these crashes to check the overheating first to rule that out.
Apox

Postby faizdtk on Mon Oct 19, 2015 10:31 pm

Apox wrote:Hey guys it's working for me now, One of my fans was covered in a think layer of dust therefor preventing the system to cool down. When I cleaned it it worked fine. Although leftos that doesn't mean my system is as it should be because from starting up my PC I get a high system reading so something most definitely is not right. I need to have it checked, because I don't know what is causing it.

I used speedfan and hwinfo like faizdtk recommended and both give me the same readings. With the stress test I need to find out how it worked but If I read it correct I think when my GPU and CPU are around 90-ish than it's shut down. If you have a more noobfriendly program please recommend it to me.

I would suggest for all that have these crashes to check the overheating first to rule that out.

Do you oc your cpu or gpu?
For gpu, stress test it with unigine heaven or valley. Make sure its stay below max temp(I think 95 celcius is the max).
Prime95 is for cpu. I don't have knowledge on how to oc intel because I use AMD cpu.

From your sppedfan screenshot, I think your gpu temp is good.
faizdtk

Postby TBM on Thu Oct 22, 2015 3:46 am

I think 2KTV is still causing crashes.
TBM
Contributor
Contributor

Postby MaxMBox on Thu Oct 22, 2015 5:48 pm

It definitely causing crashes. For me it crashes 3-4 out of 5 times when I try to watch it. And if not then I can't watch it because of constantly "Loading" screens. I can watch FullHD 1080p movies on-line but can't smoothly watch 2KTV in low quality that is really weird. As for now I saw only a half of 1st episode and 1/3 of 2nd.
MaxMBox

Postby Leftos on Fri Oct 23, 2015 2:52 am

MaxMBox, TBM, crash reports from %appdata%\NBA 2K16 would be really helpful.

Leftos
NBA 2K Developer

PreviousNext

Return to NBA 2K16