General Football/Soccer Talk

Other video games, TV shows, movies, general chit-chat...this is an all-purpose off-topic board where you can talk about anything that doesn't have its own dedicated section.

Re: General Football/Soccer Talk

Postby Phil89 on Mon Jun 08, 2015 9:28 pm

The irony of alleging that a competition was rigged against Juventus is hilarious, considering that they got relegated and stripped of league titles only nine years ago for rigging matches in Italy.

Implying that Barcelona are carried on the shoulders of Messi is very ignorant. Suarez missed the first four months of the season and still managed to contribute 25 goals and 21 assists. Neymar became the first player ever to score in both quarter final games, both semi final games and the final of a CL season. He contributed 39 goals this season. No doubt Messi is the main guy, but he isn't doing it all by himself.

And yeah, what a scumbag Suarez is. What kind of asshole surprises a young cancer patient with a skype call. Or donates prize money from an award he won to a children's charity. Or gives up his free time to take part in a charity match at Anfield earlier this year.

What an awful human being he is.

In actual news, Liverpool just announced the signing of Danny Ings on a free transfer from Burnley. I guess that's next season's league title wrapped up then :lol:
My Stories
LIVE 10 - Thunder I, Thunder II
2K13 - Wizards / 2K15 - Sixers / 2K16 - Sixers / 2K17 - Suns / 2K19 - Thunder
Phil89

Postby bigh0rt on Mon Jun 08, 2015 9:57 pm

Phil89 wrote:The irony of alleging that a competition was rigged against Juventus is hilarious, considering that they got relegated and stripped of league titles only nine years ago for rigging matches in Italy.
Again, certainly not rigged, but if you don't think the match was largely officiated Barcelona's way, I'm not sure we were watching the same broadcast. It was pretty blatant.

Implying that Barcelona are carried on the shoulders of Messi is very ignorant. Suarez missed the first four months of the season and still managed to contribute 25 goals and 21 assists. Neymar became the first player ever to score in both quarter final games, both semi final games and the final of a CL season. He contributed 39 goals this season. No doubt Messi is the main guy, but he isn't doing it all by himself.
Oh, he's certainly not doing it all by himself, but he's much more integral to their success, offensively, than the other two, in my opinion. Regardless of the goals that Neymar and Suarez score (which I also gave them full credit for; that offensive arsenal is overwhelming and unbelievably impressive as a trio), Messi is the engine that fuels the offense, and the other two should thank him for their goals as much as they credit themselves. Almost all of Barcelona's threats against Juventus went through Messi, who was essentially responsible for the deciding goal in the match, as had Suarez not been there to knock in a sitter from six yards out, Rakitic was right there to do the same exact thing. Neymar scored a goal when Juve had committed their entire team forward to try for an equalizer, but no need to be nit picky, as a goal is a goal. My point in general was that, as tremendous goal scorers and players as Neymar and Suarez are (and Lord knows they are), they should be a lot more grateful for having Messi on their squad than he should be having them.

And yeah, what a scumbag Suarez is. What kind of asshole surprises a young cancer patient with a skype call. Or donates prize money from an award he won to a children's charity. Or gives up his free time to take part in a charity match at Anfield earlier this year.

What an awful human being he is.
Pointing to two charitable things he's done does not take away from the fact that he is, in fact, a shithead. He's bitten opponents on the field. He's been banned and suspended for racial abuse of another player, which is far more reprehensible than the former act. He's also generally a dirty player on the pitch, largely regarded as one of the dirtiest players who has ever played. You don't get that moniker by accident, or because you're a boy scout. Almost all professional athletes make calls to fans and do other charitable things, which are great. It should be applauded. Some of them are still assholes. I could visit cancer patients and donate my entire 2015 salary to charity, and if I go home and beat my wife, I'm still a scumbag. A few good acts don't just cancel out and negate the bad.
bigh0rt
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby shadowgrin on Thu Jun 11, 2015 11:16 am

Suarez didn't give up his 'free time'. It was international break and he was supposed to play for his national team but since he was still serving part of his match ban he played for Stevie G's testimonial/charity match instead.

Liverpool still has to part with £8m for Danny Ings, some English FA rule about big clubs paying small clubs restitution for developing a player if the player spent most of his career with 'small clubs'.

Messi is indeed great and IS the team but in the first half of the season Barca was a mess, Enrique being doubted because of Messi skipping practice, and Suarez even labeled as a flop that early.
It's no coincidence that despite their shit defense and now aged midfield Barca started dominating again once Suarez got settled playing with Messi and Neymar, or because Enrique finally had the epiphany of playing his £65m striker in the middle instead of the wing and stopped imitating the Guardiola model of Messi in the middle, a tactic which has run its course.
HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
JaoSming2KTV wrote:its fun on a bun
shadowgrin
Doesn't negotiate with terrorists. NLSC's Jefferson Davis. The Questioneer

Postby [Q] on Thu Jun 11, 2015 12:01 pm

Any love for women's world cup? I watched us beat you aussies the other night
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Phil89 on Thu Jun 11, 2015 11:20 pm

bigh0rt wrote:Oh, he's certainly not doing it all by himself, but he's much more integral to their success, offensively, than the other two, in my opinion.Regardless of the goals that Neymar and Suarez score (which I also gave them full credit for; that offensive arsenal is overwhelming and unbelievably impressive as a trio), Messi is the engine that fuels the offense, and the other two should thank him for their goals as much as they credit themselves. Almost all of Barcelona's threats against Juventus went through Messi, who was essentially responsible for the deciding goal in the match, as had Suarez not been there to knock in a sitter from six yards out, Rakitic was right there to do the same exact thing. Neymar scored a goal when Juve had committed their entire team forward to try for an equalizer, but no need to be nit picky, as a goal is a goal. My point in general was that, as tremendous goal scorers and players as Neymar and Suarez are (and Lord knows they are), they should be a lot more grateful for having Messi on their squad than he should be having them.

In my opinion, Messi is the best player who has ever played the game, so it goes without saying that he is the most integral part of his team. Suarez and Neymar are quite capable of creating their own goals though.

It's not as if they would struggle to score if Messi wasn't in the team though (Like Raheem Sterling did without Suarez at Liverpool this season).

Pointing to two charitable things he's done does not take away from the fact that he is, in fact, a shithead. He's bitten opponents on the field. He's been banned and suspended for racial abuse of another player, which is far more reprehensible than the former act. He's also generally a dirty player on the pitch, largely regarded as one of the dirtiest players who has ever played. You don't get that moniker by accident, or because you're a boy scout. Almost all professional athletes make calls to fans and do other charitable things, which are great. It should be applauded. Some of them are still assholes. I could visit cancer patients and donate my entire 2015 salary to charity, and if I go home and beat my wife, I'm still a scumbag. A few good acts don't just cancel out and negate the bad.

I'm not gonna bother arguing about this because you clearly don't like Suarez. And that's fine, you don't have to.

Ur Boi Bangs Chol wrote:Suarez didn't give up his 'free time'. It was international break and he was supposed to play for his national team but since he was still serving part of his match ban he played for Stevie G's testimonial/charity match instead.

Exactly. It was an international break and he was ineligible to play for Uruguay - thus he had free time. He didn't have to play in the charity match, but he chose to.

Liverpool still has to part with £8m for Danny Ings, some English FA rule about big clubs paying small clubs restitution for developing a player if the player spent most of his career with 'small clubs'.

Last I heard Liverpool were bidding about £4m to get the deal done faster and avoid the tribunal. Apparently the fee will somewhere in the middle of those two figures. It's not really a true free transfer.

Messi is indeed great and IS the team but in the first half of the season Barca was a mess, Enrique being doubted because of Messi skipping practice, and Suarez even labeled as a flop that early.
It's no coincidence that despite their shit defense and now aged midfield Barca started dominating again once Suarez got settled playing with Messi and Neymar, or because Enrique finally had the epiphany of playing his £65m striker in the middle instead of the wing and stopped imitating the Guardiola model of Messi in the middle, a tactic which has run its course.

Enrique did a decent job winning three trophies in his first year. I'm sure he got himself a nice payrise with his contract extension as well.

Qballer wrote:Any love for women's world cup? I watched us beat you aussies the other night

I saw the highlights of that match. 1-1 at half time but we ran out of steam in the second half it seemed.

Are the US the favourites to win it? Or are Germany/Brazil/Sweden still the best teams? I haven't really followed the sport closely for a while.
My Stories
Phil89

Postby Phil89 on Mon Jun 22, 2015 6:28 pm

[Q] wrote:Any love for women's world cup? I watched us beat you aussies the other night

We beat Brazil yesterday Image Now we play either Japan or Netherlands in the Quarter Final.
My Stories
Phil89

Postby [Q] on Tue Jun 23, 2015 1:00 pm

Yeah I think we are the favorites to win. Ugly win against Colombia today. 1/2 on PKs and a fortunate Alex Morgan goal

2 starters out next game because of the stupid card accumulation rule, but we're pretty deep so we should be okay vs China
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby bigh0rt on Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:00 pm

I can't see the USWNT beating Germany, if we even make it to them.
bigh0rt
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby [Q] on Wed Jun 24, 2015 7:02 am

Oh man I hope we beat them. I had to watch the Nazis win last year, can't do it again this year
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Phil89 on Wed Jun 24, 2015 11:05 am

Liverpool agree £29 million fee for Roberto Firmino. This is the guy I wanted us to sign to replace Suarez last season. I'm excited (Y)

phpBB [video]

Petr Cech joining Arsenal is an interesting move. Is he an upgrade over Szczęsny at 33 years old though?
My Stories
Phil89

Postby [Q] on Thu Jul 02, 2015 1:48 pm

Japan wins with an England own goal in the last minute of the match :lol:
serves them right after the ref gives them an NBA-style makeup call for a penalty kick.

I really enjoy watching Japan play. They seem to play "the right way", very unselfishly.
I am obviously rooting for the US but I like Japan too.
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Phil89 on Fri Jul 03, 2015 3:59 pm

Yeah, Japan are very good technically too. Brazilian football has had a huge influence on their domestic league and national teams. They also have a great youth setup.

In the most random transfer news of the week - Stoke agree £12 million fee for Xherdan Shaqiri. Weird move if he decides to go there, only a couple of years after winning the CL with Bayern.
My Stories
Phil89

Postby [Q] on Mon Jul 06, 2015 12:13 pm

We win! Looked like the shadows and the sun were a big factor. Winning the coin toss seemed to be what got us the win. It seems fitting after 4 years ago Japan won on penalties which are essentially coin flips as well
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby bigh0rt on Mon Jul 06, 2015 8:28 pm

'Merica beating Germany and Japan is old hat for us. :cool:
bigh0rt
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby Phil89 on Sun Jul 12, 2015 9:28 pm

Looks like the Raheem Sterling to Man City transfer is finally happening. They are supposedly paying £45 million upfront, with £5 million in add-ons.

Now Liverpool can go and waste £30 million of that on Christian Benteke :oops: :lol:
My Stories
Phil89

Postby shadowgrin on Tue Jul 14, 2015 9:41 am

Phil89 wrote:Petr Cech joining Arsenal is an interesting move. Is he an upgrade over Szczęsny at 33 years old though?

Goalkeepers don't really get old until they reach 35 and can still play until 40.
van der Sar joined United at 34 iirc, same with Lehmann joining Arsenal, both did pretty well.
Buffon is 37 and other than athleticism he's still better than Szczesny.

Xherdan Shaqiri doing a DeAndre Jordan and not returning the calls made by Stoke. :lol:
Man's apparently a jerk that's why Inter is selling him already as to even agree a fee with Stoke.
Liverpool dodged a bullet almost getting him last season, thank Bayern for declining.

No wonder Liverpool held out for a huge transfer fee, since QPR is entitled to receive (least) about £10m (max 25%, 12m) from that deal for 'developing' Sterling. £35m it is then.
HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
shadowgrin

Postby Phil89 on Tue Jul 14, 2015 4:39 pm

I actually respect the ambition that Stoke showed by trying to sign someone like Shaqiri though, instead of the usual boring British players.

Actually some mid-table teams have signed some quality players already.

Newcastle - Wijnaldum
West Ham - Payet, Ogbonna, Obiang
Palace - Cabaye
Swansea - Ayew, Tabanou
Everton - Deulofeu

The big boys have been spending as well. Man Utd have now spent over £230m since Van Gaal took over. Lot's of pressure on him to win trophies now.

Chelsea - Begovic (£8m)
Man City - Sterling (£49m)
Arsenal - Cech (£10m)
Man Utd - Schneiderlin (£25m), Depay (£19m), Schweinsteiger (£12m), Darmian (£12m)
Liverpool - Firmino (£29m), Clyne (£12m), Milner (£0m)
Spurs - Alderweireld (£11m)

It makes me laugh that Man City fans are trying to defend the Sterling fee by mentioning that QPR get £9-10m of it. It doesn't change the fact that they paid £49m for him. They act like the sell on fee makes it a better deal for them or something :lol:

QPR did really well in this deal. They basically equal their outgoing transfer record for a player that never even played for them.

Liverpool fans on twitter going crazy hoping that we'll spend the Sterling money on Reus or Lacazette. Would be awesome, but I fully expect Benteke instead.
My Stories
Phil89

Postby [Q] on Tue Jul 14, 2015 4:53 pm

Does Chelsea still have Diego Costa or did he leave? I think them getting Falcao puts them way ahead for the title already
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby stereoxide on Wed Jul 15, 2015 7:31 am

All that money for Sterling. I hope Liverpool spends it wisely unlike the Fernando Torres money which they used 70% to buy Andy Carroll.
stereoxide

Postby shadowgrin on Wed Jul 15, 2015 10:05 am

[Q] wrote:Does Chelsea still have Diego Costa or did he leave? I think them getting Falcao puts them way ahead for the title already

lol like a 3rd choice striker who's past his prime will make Chelsea better than they already are.
He's their new Fernando Torres. It's not just him being terrible at Man Utd even when he was healthy, he was also terrible with the Colombian team going to the recently finished Copa America.

Costa still with the team. Remy (2nd choice) might be sold and replaced with Pedro (Barcelona) for £20m. Griezmann move also rumoured for Chelsea.

With the signings they made West Ham really looks serious in wanting to win Europa League, since winning it now guarantees a Champions League spot for next season.
HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
shadowgrin

Postby Phil89 on Fri Jul 17, 2015 10:09 pm

Falcao was a beast at Porto and Atletico Madrid. Shame injuries ruined him like Torres. I guess Chelsea can afford the risk of having him as back-up behind Costa.

stereoxide wrote:All that money for Sterling. I hope Liverpool spends it wisely unlike the Fernando Torres money which they used 70% to buy Andy Carroll.

Lots of media reporting that Liverpool have met Christian Benteke's £32.5m release clause and he'll be signing soon.

Personally I think he is a good player, just a little overpriced. Most Liverpool fans seem to think he will be another Carroll. He seems to be decent with his feet though (to go along with his obvious power in the air).

I hope he can score 20+ goals next season. Sturridge is too injury-prone to be relied on, sadly.

Ur Boi Bangs Chol wrote:With the signings they made West Ham really looks serious in wanting to win Europa League, since winning it now guarantees a Champions League spot for next season.

They could lift themselves into a top 6-8 team in the next decade with their new stadium. I think consistent Europa League + New Stadium + being located in London would make them a pretty attractive destination for players.
My Stories
Phil89

Postby Phil89 on Thu Jul 23, 2015 2:30 pm

Hopefully these two can link up well for the next few seasons (Y)

I saw yesterday that aussie goalkeeper Mat Ryan signed with Valencia. That's a huge move for him. He's been the best keeper in Belgium for the last two seasons.

Valencia's first choice keeper Diego Alves is out injured atm, so Ryan should get a couple of months of playing time before he returns.
My Stories
Phil89

Postby mp3 on Thu Jul 23, 2015 8:43 pm

Sterling was a little punk here in Liverpool I am so glad we sold him.

He had a bad attitude and was pictured twice using the legal high laughing gas, just because it legal for the time being doesn't mean it's right nor is good for a role model to be seen doing.
Youtube - mp3 Basketball Gaming
mp3

Postby Phil89 on Sun Aug 02, 2015 4:03 pm

I don't think Sterling will be missed too much. Jordon Ibe seems to be ready to take his place immediately, judging by the way is playing this pre-season.

You'd hope that Markovic will develop further this season as well to cover the loss (Y)

Only a week until the premier league starts again. Chelsea strong favourites again?
My Stories
Phil89

Postby [Q] on Sun Aug 02, 2015 6:04 pm

Phil89 wrote:Only a week until the premier league starts again. Chelsea strong favourites again?

I agree.

Plus I don't think the other contenders have done enough to catch up to them.
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic