Request for feedback regarding micro-stuttering

Talk about NBA 2K15 here.

Re: Request for feedback regarding micro-stuttering

Postby Jonny2k on Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:15 pm

I have yet to try this but when I connect my laptop to charge everything works fine. I've noticed that for some reason my video card doesn't go all out when I play 2k15 while my laptop is unplugged. It's easy to tell when stuttering will occur since I won't heard the fans cooling down my laptop at full blast.
Jonny2k

Postby BLaZiNgSPEED on Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:01 pm

PainB wrote:Can someone help me with that trick? I don't get it, if I disable all cores I can't press OK
I have fx-6300(6 core cpu)

I went into task manager and set my priority for NBA 2k15 to "Above Normal". Also, I set the affinity by unchecking a core, clicking OK, and then resetting it to use all cores again. Used to be a trick to solve micro-stuttering in NBA 2k13 and 2k14 and it seems to work for me on NBA 2k15 as well. Can anyone else confirm this works for them as well?

Yes, this mechanism does work. It also works for the FIFA 15 Demo where I had stuttering with rain but when setting priority to High then no more stutter.
In NBA 2K15 this works. But the problem is that the pre-game show Shaq and Ernie's sound crackles. Also occassionally the commentary sound crackles. When you modify the priority. This is not a permanent solution. We cannot keep minimizing our game and changing the priority every time, this is a hassle.

Also I noticed one other interesting thing is that when you set the game to Windowed Full Screen then the game has no more freezes and better frame rate performance than with Full Screen only. Also the loading is faster. So there is definitely some optimization problem.

Also I noticed that although setting Priority to Real Time does fix the stuttering. After a few minutes to half an hour the stuttering starts to occur again, at least for me...
BLaZiNgSPEED

Postby Patr1ck on Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:10 pm

I get sound distortion and crackling every now and then. There is also this weird volume limiting issue. If the crowd gets loud, the commentators get muffled or turned down and vice versa. I am not experiencing stutters though.
Patr1ck
Administrator
Administrator

Postby ThePointForward on Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:38 pm

So today I experienced some stuttering for the first time, when I used 2K camera in MyCareer mode. When I switched back to skybox, it was smooth as usual.
ThePointForward
Formerly Dommy73

Postby Patr1ck on Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:21 pm

I also experienced stuttering for the first time. I checked my temperatures, cpu is only in the 50s with 60 utilization on average, and gpu is at 77 with 97 utilization. I'll try running the fan on 100.

I noticed in the task manager that my cpu utilization goes down in to the 40s and the system idle timer jumps up into the 50s when the stutter occurs. I'll try the priority setting and see if it helps.
Patr1ck
Administrator
Administrator

Postby jay-r on Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:48 am

I also noticed a minor micro-stutter while in-bounding the ball, but there is none when I apply the affinity and priority solution. First I disable one of the cores, click OK, then I re-enter affinity settings and set all cores ON and then set priority above normal and no stuttering after that.

MOBO: ASUS MAXIMUS GENE V (bios v.0903)
CPU: i5-3570K @4,6ghz (1,18 vcore) (cooled by Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme)
RAM: Samsung (10M378B5273DH0-CK0/CH9) 4gb x 4 @2400mhz (10-11-11-28)
SSD: Samsung 850 PRO 256GB
VGA: Zotac GTX 980
PSU: Corsair AX850
jay-r

Postby PainB on Sun Oct 26, 2014 12:04 am

I'm still having stuttering after patch. It's little bit better but still not enjoyable. I was waiting so much for that game and now can't play it normal :(
PainB

Postby worldbefreeeee on Mon Oct 27, 2014 4:46 am

I'm still having stuttering after patch too. It often appears while inboundng the ball, passing the half court, and camera zooming with default quick game camera, the situation is less pronounced with mc default camera. I've tried several solutions (set affinity, priority, modify video setting, verify steam cache, and force vsync, tripple buffer or fps limit via control panel or nv inspector) but all to no avail...other games runs perfect with my GTX 970.
worldbefreeeee

Postby PainB on Mon Oct 27, 2014 6:49 am

You too? Man, I can't believe, I tried everything and I have solid pc. Fifa 15 doesn't have any problems, can't believe this.
PainB

Postby TBM on Mon Oct 27, 2014 7:29 am

Pdub wrote:I also experienced stuttering for the first time. I checked my temperatures, cpu is only in the 50s with 60 utilization on average, and gpu is at 77 with 97 utilization. I'll try running the fan on 100.

I noticed in the task manager that my cpu utilization goes down in to the 40s and the system idle timer jumps up into the 50s when the stutter occurs. I'll try the priority setting and see if it helps.

77 is pretty high, and probably at least part of your issue. Your GPU is gonna be throttling at that temperature, probably.
TBM
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Patr1ck on Mon Oct 27, 2014 8:34 am

Your probably right. I just set the option in radeon pro to keep the clocks from throttling. It's helped a lot, but because it also enables ambient occlusion, I get fps drops during close ups and cut scenes that weren't noticeable before.
Patr1ck
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Werauskas on Sun Mar 08, 2015 1:31 am

I can confirm it's audio issue. Literally i tried everything possible already. For days/weeks i'm trying to find a solution, but nothing. ONLY when i disable my sound card i getting smooth gameplay. I pray for the day that someone will show up with a good solution how to fix this audio stutter thing. :(
Werauskas

Postby Patr1ck on Sun Mar 08, 2015 2:18 am

Werauskas, did you try changing your default audio format in Playback Devices>(Audio playback device) Properties>Advanced Tab?
Patr1ck
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Werauskas on Fri Mar 13, 2015 1:00 pm

Pdub wrote:Werauskas, did you try changing your default audio format in Playback Devices>(Audio playback device) Properties>Advanced Tab?

Of course i tried. Still the same.
Werauskas

Postby jmmontoro on Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:38 am

Never had the issue but have a friend who recently bought a new GFX and the issue started for him. He disabled ShadowPlay from nVidia and the problem appears to have been solved. I suggest people with this issue to try that if you haven't already.
jmmontoro

Postby ChrisCP3Paul on Tue Apr 21, 2015 3:14 am

I've never been able to fix my crossfire micro stutter, and it's definitely not a problem with my PC.. if anything it's probably the AMD drivers or 2K not optimizing for AMD cards properly, or both.

I havent touched the game for months, just reinstalled a new OS, and steam and few games... but same issue again.
I mean I can run the game perfectly fine stutter free with single card maxed out, but still I use crossfire system wide would be nice if I didn't get a stutter hitch every 5 seconds while v-synced to 60fps..

I never had this issue on any other 2K game prior.
ChrisCP3Paul

Postby ThePointForward on Wed Apr 29, 2015 12:08 am

Well crossfire/SLI systems are known for these issues, which are usually fixed by specific drivers.
ThePointForward
Formerly Dommy73

Postby Jonny2k on Wed Aug 05, 2015 5:04 pm

I've noticed that the micro-stuttering seems to go away when I'm not connected to online. Anyone else experienced this?
Jonny2k

Previous

Return to NBA 2K15