NBA Live here for the long haul

Talk about NBA Live 15 here.

Postby 22cedric on Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:49 am

http://fansided.com/2014/07/21/nba-live ... l/#!bjeTad

When it was announced over a year ago that the NBA Live franchise was going it’s triumphant return in the form of a next-gen launch title in November 2013, fans of basketball were excited about the return of competition to a genre that had been dominated by the NBA 2k juggernaut for the previous four years.

Unfortunately, NBA Live’s return to the fold was anything but triumphant.

It was met with mediocre to bad reviews from numerous outlets, and just didn’t play the part of a next-gen game very well.. The poor reaction led to many fans wondering if EA Sports would pull the plug on the franchise after just one entry onto the Xbox One and PlayStation.

“I think there is always the risk of a reactive decision any time you put something out that you’re not extremely happy with,” executive producer of the NBA Live franchise Sean O’Brien said. “I think what everyone externally doesn’t tend to know is the plan that we’ve had all along as far as what this journey looks like.”

O’Brien joined EA Sports to lead the production of the resurrected NBA Live series in the fall of 2012, and has knowledge of how the company did business with the previous installments of the game. This allowed O’Brien to completely wipe the field, create a game plan and pitch it to the higher ups at EA.

This gameplan, O’Brien says, is a multi-year process to bring the franchise back to prominence. And it’s an internal plan that the executives at the publishing company are buying into.

But I think that, from a corporate standpoint, we’re all invested in this.

As noted, the initial reaction to the relaunch of NBA Live with NBA Live 14 wasn’t overwhelmingly positive. With so many expectations placed on EA Sports when they decided to bring a series back as a launch title on the Generation 4 line of consoles, it lead to the public having extremely high hopes for year one.

O’Brien credits those high hopes as a reason for the disappointment last year.

“I think I understand why,” he said. “There’s a lot of expectation with the title being away for a couple years. I think the interest level was high, and I think a lot of people wanted to see what we could do in a couple of years.

“Our first installment wasn’t great. It didn’t meet expectations internally, or for ourselves as a team. But I think that, from a corporate standpoint, we’re all invested in this.”

An all-in investment is certainly the case. O’Brien stated that the company has a long-term plan in place that will see year over year improvement on all of the feedback that it’s players are offering. And he wants the building of the game to be as transparent as possible.

“We want to bring them in on the journey,” O’Brien said. “[We want to] continue to show that progress and that we’re building positive momentum behind this franchise and what we’re doing”
22cedric

Re: NBA Live here for the long haul

Postby Ermolli on Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:37 am

There isn't anything new or worth taking about Live 15, it just says what was said before that the franchise will continue, I'll still read their next articles to see if they'll mention anything about 15.
Ermolli

Postby Andrew on Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:06 pm

As always, I appreciate the frankness and like the attitude, but yeah, I'm ready for info on the game itself. Fortunately, August is right around the corner.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby 22cedric on Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:31 pm

Via Michael Straw Jr. @TheMikeStraw

Tomorrow's piece on @EASPORTSNBA looks at the plans for the game modes this year and what the main focal point was for #NBALive15.

Wed. will feature the decision to release on the same day as the #NBA2k juggernaut; Why @EASPORTSNBA feels its the right call #NBALive15

Thurs. will feature why the @EASPORTSNBA dev. team decided to update #NBALive14's visuals and gameplay in-cycle rather than wait until '15

Lastly, Fri. will feature why the team is more excited than ever for the future of the @EASPORTSNBA franchise w. #NBALive15 and beyond
22cedric

Postby Andrew on Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:57 pm

Just saw that in my feed, too. Looking forward to it.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby ThaLiveKing on Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:53 am

I wish they would stop trying to tell us this, when they can just put out a trailer and just wow the people. Stuff like this sounds like it's another set up for disappointment
ThaLiveKing

Postby benji on Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:42 am

By the long haul they mean they're going to delay for another two years then start development as if it was a regular cycle?
benji

Postby Andrew on Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:24 am

ThaLiveKing wrote:I wish they would stop trying to tell us this, when they can just put out a trailer and just wow the people. Stuff like this sounds like it's another set up for disappointment

Looks like we're getting some more substantial info in the follow up pieces, if nothing else. I expect more media will be coming in August.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby ThaLiveKing on Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:19 pm

Andrew wrote:
ThaLiveKing wrote:I wish they would stop trying to tell us this, when they can just put out a trailer and just wow the people. Stuff like this sounds like it's another set up for disappointment

Looks like we're getting some more substantial info in the follow up pieces, if nothing else. I expect more media will be coming in August.

I hope you're right, cause these two articles released already were a waste of time lol
ThaLiveKing

Postby Andrew on Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:30 pm

I actually thought the second one was informative in that it gave us more of an idea what to expect (or not to expect, as the case may be).
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Return to NBA Live 15