NBA LIVE 15 Open Letter from Sean O’Brien

Talk about NBA Live 15 here.

Postby 22cedric on Fri Jun 06, 2014 4:32 am

http://www.easports.com/nba-live/news-u ... 1991818453

Sean O’Brien is the Executive Producer for NBA LIVE 15, available October 7 for Xbox One and PlayStation 4. Sean has spent more than a decade working on basketball titles at EA SPORTS.

Hey NBA LIVE fans…it’s been a while since you heard from us, so I felt it was time to give you a little insight into what our team’s been working on over the last few months. First and foremost, I’m proud to announce that NBA LIVE 15 will be available for Xbox One and PlayStation 4 on October 7. We’re looking forward to delivering a great game that we think you’ll really enjoy, all in time for the start of the next NBA season.

As I’ve said previously, we know we fell short in two major areas with NBA LIVE 14. 5-on-5 gameplay didn’t have the depth and polish of an EA SPORTS game and our visuals just weren’t up to expectations for a next-gen title. We’ve been laser-focused on making sure that this isn’t the case with NBA LIVE 15 and I’m really excited with our progress in those two areas.

If you’ve been following our website and social channels over the last several months, you’ve likely seen the behind-the-scenes photos of our head scans with several NBA players. We’ve scanned a majority of the league, and the new player heads, combined with refined player models and new lighting, makes our characters look really amazing. I’m looking forward to sharing more details in the next few weeks, I think you’ll be pleasantly surprised with everything we’ve done with our visuals this cycle.

We’ve also seen some great progress with gameplay that makes the experience more realistic and, most importantly, more fun with a much better overall flow. We want teams to play just like their real-world counterparts, and to that end we’ve spent a lot of time this season talking with NBA coaches to better understand their schemes and philosophies, which we can then implement in-game. Another equally important area of focus is improving flow and responsiveness in every area where you touch the ball, and we feel that shooting, passing and dribbling all feel much better this year.

We have very lofty goals for NBA LIVE 15, and we knew that the most important thing we could do to improve our chances for achieving these goals was to put our heads down and work as hard as possible with minimal distractions. With that in mind, let me give you some insight into our plans to release assets for the game.

We’ll start sharing gameplay details in July, and will continue to provide in-depth insight through August and September. During this time there will be plenty of content popping up here on the NBA LIVE website, as well as hands-on previews from your favorite sports and gaming outlets. We know we’ve got a lot to prove this year, and we’ve got a solid plan in place to provide you with all the details and take the first steps to making NBA LIVE 15 a game you’re excited to play.

Last but not least, I want to take a moment to thank all of our loyal fans who continue to believe in us. Your feedback, encouragement and positivity is genuinely appreciated and has helped further motivate our team to make really big strides this year. You all are the heartbeat of this franchise, and I can’t wait to share with you how far we’ve come. It’s going to be a great year, and we can’t wait to get back out on the floor.
This topic was moved from NBA Live 14 by Andrew on Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:23 am.
22cedric

Re: NBA LIVE 15 Open Letter from Sean O’Brien

Postby JaoSming on Fri Jun 06, 2014 10:48 am

So graphics and gameplay, with an emphasis on responsiveness and flow. :applaud: :applaud:
Opinions are my own.

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Postby Andrew on Fri Jun 06, 2014 12:29 pm

Sounds good to me. As I've said before, I appreciate the candidness that Sean and the rest of the team have shown in acknowledging their shortcomings, and their determination to make things better. The last thing we need is for everything to be scrapped and built from scratch again, so I'm glad to hear they're pressing ahead and their hard work will not go to waste. It sounds like they've listened to the feedback and are working on key areas of concern, though naturally I hope that game modes like Dynasty Mode will receive an ample amount of attention as well.

Also worth noting that we have confirmation of the platforms and the release date; October 7th, same as NBA 2K15. No big surprise there, although I guess there might have been some doubt given that NBA Live 14 came out a few days later last year. Probably a one time thing though, with EA deciding to split the difference between the release of the PS4 and X1 consoles.

Finally, nice to get a rough timetable on the preview content this year. Looks like our predictions on the Podcast weren't too wide of the mark.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Patr1ck on Fri Jun 06, 2014 4:10 pm

Planned dates and release dates aren't always the same. There are always inevitable delays, but I just hope there aren't any hype announcements of announcements.

Good to see the focus points, but "gameplay" is such a vague word nowadays. Context and purpose within the flow is important. Whether it is strategic or reactive.

I don't care how good the lighting and player model/faces are if they don't animate well. Can't wait to feel the improved responsiveness. Being able to swing the ball to the open shooter or cutter while defense is continually rotating should feel satisfying.
Patr1ck
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Andrew on Fri Jun 06, 2014 4:52 pm

It is, which is why we all need to avoid vague phrases like "better gameplay" when we compile our Wishlists. But I assume they'll be going into much more detail come July, and certainly August and September.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby benji on Fri Jun 06, 2014 6:51 pm

Guess I'll post it in here, FIFA PC is getting the Ignite Engine this year: https://twitter.com/EASPORTSFIFA/status ... 6180962305
benji

Postby Kevin on Fri Jun 06, 2014 6:57 pm

Anyone wants to tell me what's so special about the "Ignite Engine" ?
Rest In Peace Kobe
Kevin
Fuck the Celtics

Postby Patr1ck on Fri Jun 06, 2014 9:59 pm

Patr1ck
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Andrew on Fri Jun 06, 2014 10:58 pm

In short, it's the engine that EA's PS4/X1 sports games are running on. FIFA PC getting the Ignite Engine suggests a next gen port.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby ThaLiveKing on Sat Jun 07, 2014 9:17 pm

JaoSming wrote:So graphics and gameplay, with an emphasis on responsiveness and flow. :applaud: :applaud:

And a ton more animations to help the game look and feel more realistic lol!!! Responsiveness and flow is key!!!
ThaLiveKing

Postby Patr1ck on Sat Jun 07, 2014 10:09 pm

I don't like buzz words, even though I use them myself.
Patr1ck
Administrator
Administrator

Postby JBulls on Sat Jun 07, 2014 10:58 pm

ThaLiveKing wrote:
JaoSming wrote:So graphics and gameplay, with an emphasis on responsiveness and flow. :applaud: :applaud:

And a ton more animations to help the game look and feel more realistic lol!!! Responsiveness and flow is key!!!

Tons of animations are unnecessary imo. What they need is quality of animations rather than quantity.
JBulls

Postby Patr1ck on Sun Jun 08, 2014 12:29 am

Quality, yes. Quantity, yes. This is 2014 and they need both top survive this gen. Especially during those in air collision animations. Each player seems to be hitting a wall or completely running the other person over. Bodies don't react like that all the time. There needs to be grey area collisions where one player might win the collision but they still have their momentum impeded a bit.
Patr1ck
Administrator
Administrator

Postby JaoSming on Sun Jun 08, 2014 1:16 am

On top of that there is simply no excuse to have only 1 windmill dunk animation, or maybe a whole bakers dozen of dunk animations total
Opinions are my own.

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Postby Andrew on Sun Jun 08, 2014 2:51 pm

Pdub wrote:Quality, yes. Quantity, yes. This is 2014 and they need both top survive this gen.

Agreed. If the quality is top notch, you could probably get away with having slightly less in terms of the quantity, but ideally you want something that's visually appealing and has enough variation so as not to feel too repetitive. Obviously you can only have a finite amount of animations captured and included in the game, but if there's enough of a variety when it comes to layups, dunks and whatnot, there's more freshness play to play.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby ThaLiveKing on Sun Jun 08, 2014 7:25 pm

JBulls wrote:
ThaLiveKing wrote:

Tons of animations are unnecessary imo. What they need is quality of animations rather than quantity.

I should have said more necessary animations. I'm more concerned with the collision system in the paint, and off ball movement. Those areas need the most animations
ThaLiveKing

Postby Kevin on Sun Jun 08, 2014 7:41 pm

For all honesty, I think they should improve their player model/body. I think its been pretty much the same with all Live games with a little improvement of course. I hope they make it realistic this time.
Rest In Peace Kobe
Kevin
Fuck the Celtics

Postby ThaLiveKing on Sun Jun 08, 2014 8:35 pm

look at the croud!!! Damn. Safe to say we shouldn't worry about graphics for any 15 title
ThaLiveKing

Postby JBulls on Mon Jun 09, 2014 12:49 pm

You should take any pre-release visuals hype with a grain of salt.
JBulls

Return to NBA Live 15