Update is out on PS4/X1

Talk about NBA Live 14 here. Archived discussion on NBA Live 13 and NBA Elite 11 can also be found in this section.

Re: Update is out on PS4/X1

Postby JBulls on Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:03 am

I think it was a producer that said that it was rebuilt from the ground up
JBulls

Postby ChrisCP3Paul on Sun Feb 16, 2014 4:40 pm

yea thats right Jao thanks for clearing it up....

I went in for game testing and I looked at menus, I looked at features, it all looked sooooooooo friggin good....... then prior to release we see all the talk about NEXT GEN ONLY, new engine IGNITE.... BOUNCETEK... LOCOMOTION......... none of it was true except bouncetek..... I don't see Ignite, no loco motion, and definitely not next gen....

anyway, so this last update they just did is the last one pretty much eh ? I was hoping they would at least fix the slingshot player physics, if they did that I would have been a lot easier on the game...
have they even been updating rosters on a nightly basis like they said they would ? Synergy Sports stuff like they talked about as well ??
ChrisCP3Paul

Postby JaoSming on Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:23 am

I dont think anyone is checking ratings to make sure EA is updating hourly as promised, but I know player transactions aren't, we all know that.

What do you think bouncetek is?
Opinions are my own.

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Postby ChrisCP3Paul on Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:37 pm

Bouncetek was the dribbling system where the ball is supposed to be on it's own... meaning it's not attached to the player and his animations, it's supposed to rely on it's own physics... and I don't know actually the first time I popped in Live I thought I felt it, but now that I think about it, I think it's just because I been playing 2K for so long, Live just felt different so I thought that bouncetek shit was real for a bit.... I take that back, I don't think it's legit now really...

I still love the way players feel in Live 10 that shoot around practice facility dribbling around with one player, not the actual 5 on 5 gameplay, that's the best responding player physics and animations I've ever had in ball game
ChrisCP3Paul

Postby JaoSming on Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:53 pm

I get at least 1 instance once a quarter of terrible ball warping. It is much better than 2K, especially when the ball is loose, but definitely not what was expected. I have been seeing people call the entire dribble system bouncetek, like freestyle years back, didnt know if you were talking about it as a whole, or something specific like I was.
Opinions are my own.

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Postby Andrew on Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:05 pm

ChrisCP3Paul wrote:^ hey Andrew next time you interview the guy, maybe please ask him about some of the more obvious issues this game is facing ?
like for example why this game struggles to perform (30fps issue in baseline cameras) only runs at 60fps when in sideways cams....and what is Ignite and what does it do exactly ?

I'm not sure that Scott will be able to answer all the technical questions as he's not a programmer, but we'll see what we can do. IGNITE is the game engine that EA is using for its sports titles on this generation and has been covered at length, but if there are any specific questions about it, I suppose we could ask them. From memory, we did ask Scott some questions about that stuff in the first interview we conducted:
http://www.nba-live.com/nlsc-podcast-in ... gallagher/

As far as the new engine/NBA Live 13 stuff is concerned, I don't think those statements have to be mutually exclusive and I'm actually inclined to believe that both are true. In other words, they inherited a tough situation with NBA Live 13, which isn't surprising given the false starts beginning with NBA Elite 11. However, they have new tech in place for this generation, not just for NBA Live but also their other sports titles. Unable to overhaul absolutely everything in one production cycle, they've had to re-use some NBA Live 13 assets, which in turn means the IGNITE engine isn't being used to its full potential yet.

At least, that's my understanding of the situation, given everything that's been said. The tech is there, it's just not being utilised to its full capabilities. Other EA titles on IGNITE seem to be doing better with it, probably because they haven't had the same turmoil and turnover behind the scenes...the inherited mess from NBA Live 13 that's been talked about. So yeah, I'm not inclined to say it's a lie because I do feel there's likely truth in both statements, but it definitely could've been communicated better to say the least.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby jyoung on Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:06 am

Ball warping AKA the "yo yo effect" is definitely still in NBA Live 14.

It happens almost every time during the spin move dribble animation.

Plus you'll see it pop up once or twice per quarter in other random situations.
jyoung

Postby ThaLiveKing on Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:54 am

Andrew wrote:
ChrisCP3Paul wrote:^ hey Andrew next time you interview the guy, maybe please ask him about some of the more obvious issues this game is facing ?
like for example why this game struggles to perform (30fps issue in baseline cameras) only runs at 60fps when in sideways cams....and what is Ignite and what does it do exactly ?

I'm not sure that Scott will be able to answer all the technical questions as he's not a programmer, but we'll see what we can do. IGNITE is the game engine that EA is using for its sports titles on this generation and has been covered at length, but if there are any specific questions about it, I suppose we could ask them. From memory, we did ask Scott some questions about that stuff in the first interview we conducted:
http://www.nba-live.com/nlsc-podcast-in ... gallagher/

As far as the new engine/NBA Live 13 stuff is concerned, I don't think those statements have to be mutually exclusive and I'm actually inclined to believe that both are true. In other words, they inherited a tough situation with NBA Live 13, which isn't surprising given the false starts beginning with NBA Elite 11. However, they have new tech in place for this generation, not just for NBA Live but also their other sports titles. Unable to overhaul absolutely everything in one production cycle, they've had to re-use some NBA Live 13 assets, which in turn means the IGNITE engine isn't being used to its full potential yet.

At least, that's my understanding of the situation, given everything that's been said. The tech is there, it's just not being utilised to its full capabilities. Other EA titles on IGNITE seem to be doing better with it, probably because they haven't had the same turmoil and turnover behind the scenes...the inherited mess from NBA Live 13 that's been talked about. So yeah, I'm not inclined to say it's a lie because I do feel there's likely truth in both statements, but it definitely could've been communicated better to say the least.

The tech stuff, they have to make sure they have it down pat for Live 15, no more excuses!!!
ThaLiveKing

Postby Andrew on Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:03 pm

I'd hope with the foundation in place, they'll be able to start replacing NBA Live 13 assets. I'm guessing they're doing just that with the face scans and whatnot.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby Phreak50 on Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:25 pm

Ugh this game is a disgrace.

Log in to see 7 updates needed, it takes over an hour to download them all and then the game crashes when going to Ultimate Team.

Go through the process again, download the 7 updates over an hour (assuming they were large updates as I have quick internet) then quit the game (in case the crash didn't save the first time I downloaded them).

Start the game back up again and it wants me to download 7 updates again.

It's these sorts of things that make EA such a hate gaming company really.
Phreak50

Previous

Return to NBA Live 14