The Tuesday Triple: Patching Stuff

Talk about the NLSC Podcast, Monday Tip-Off, Wayback Wednesday, The Friday Five, Top 10 Plays of the Week, and our Parsec Tournaments! This is also a section for NLSC and community announcements, and other site-related topics.

The Tuesday Triple: Patching Stuff

Postby JaoSming on Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:32 am

Here's my Friday Five Knockoff

Link: http://www.nba-live.com/the-tuesday-tri ... -14-needs/
Since its release, NBA Live 14 has been both deservedly and undeservedly trashed for its gameplay and graphics. While the game is undoubtedly lacking in many areas when compared to NBA 2K14′s next-gen effort, it has provided myself and others with hours of mostly fun gameplay and a strange attraction to keep coming back for more. Even though it can be fun, there are still at least three major areas that need improvement that I can only wish will be included in the mythical yet-to-be-released patch by EA Sports.
Opinions are my own.

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Re: The Tuesday Triple: Things NBA Live 14 Needs

Postby Andrew on Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:29 pm

Spot on with the list, I'd definitely agree that those are the top three things that the game needs. As I said when we were discussing it on the latest podcast, I'd probably throw animations in with graphics and call it aesthetics. Either way, improvement there would add a lot of polish to the game.

If I'm combining those two points, I might make in-game injuries my "and one". It'd be great to have those to add a little more challenge and realism in Dynasty Mode. Dynasty in NBA Live 14 might not have the depth of Association in NBA 2K14 current gen or MyGM on next gen, but it's still a very solid, functional and fun mode as it is.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby JaoSming on Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:41 pm

http://www.nba-live.com/the-tuesday-tri ... -patchers/
While the technology, tools and games have changed over the years, I am genuinely surprised how the patching culture has evolved, but still deals with the same issues. Here are some tips I have for patchers releasing patches for the current or past NBA games.
Opinions are my own.

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Postby JaoSming on Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:46 pm

http://www.nba-live.com/the-tuesday-tri ... e-reviews/
Even though Andrew does a great job reviewing basketball games for the NLSC, I have never felt that any review of a basketball videogame would ever truly apply to me. At the same time, I’ve always felt my opinions on these games are so skewed that any recommendations I could make on my experiences with a game wouldn’t apply to anyone else. So, now that I have this lovely weekly feature to write, I figured I’d give it a shot and write quick reviews for my main 3 basketball games this year. NBA 2K14 on PC, NBA Live 14 on PS4, and NBA 2K14 on PS4.

Opinions are my own.

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Postby JaoSming on Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:47 pm

(amazing how I forgot to update this thread 3 weeks in a row....oops)
http://www.nba-live.com/the-tuesday-tri ... tic-mixes/
If I had to create my own Mount Rushmore of those who influenced me in this community, it would probably be Dahl, pdub, Leftos, and MomentousCeltic (a.k.a. IsoAchieved a.k.a. eDotd). The first three got me into modding and expanded my abilities throughout my years at the NLSC. MC’s influence was broader. MC’s mixes marked the first time I was able to appreciate what NBA 2K offered in their game. Call it EA or PC fanboyism, but before MC made mixes with NBA 2K7 I simply didn’t get what all the fuss was about with the 2K series. Seeing a skilled player continually showcase the game in such an awe-inspiring way changed that for me, well before the series hit PC. So kick back and enjoy the following mixes created by the master himself, MomentousCeltic.
Opinions are my own.

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Re: The Tuesday Triple: 2K <> Live

Postby JaoSming on Tue Mar 04, 2014 3:20 pm

http://www.nba-live.com/the-tuesday-tri ... ed-places/
With the return of competitive releases in the simulation basketball video game genre, we can once again take part in the age-old tradition of comparing and contrasting the main two NBA games against each other. While NBA Live 14 still plays like an NBA Live game, and NBA 2K14 is still very much a stereotypical NBA 2K game, I have noticed some old complaints from years ago that have seemingly swapped sides. While there are certainly more important compliments and criticisms that can be given to each game, lets take a look at some that have been traded between the competing franchises.
Opinions are my own.

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Postby Andrew on Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:52 pm

Definitely an interesting take on the situation. I must admit that I don't mind NBA Live's lack of unlockables as I have mixed feelings about their presence in games in general. When poorly implemented, they take too long/too much effort to unlock, to the point where you're a bit tired of the game by the time you've got them.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby JaoSming on Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:25 pm

http://www.nba-live.com/the-tuesday-tri ... resources/
Yesterday I spent time updating some of the NBA 2K14 resources and tutorials instead of writing my weekly Dumb Fact Monday. To follow up, I wanted to feature the resources we all have available to us at the NLSC for patching; not just for NBA 2K games, but for the NBA Live series on PC as well. Like I said in yesterday’s article, I take pride in the detailed nature of the tutorials and resources available here in our community. So click to read more to learn more about the resources anyone can use to customize their NBA game of choice.

Opinions are my own.

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Return to Featured Content & Community Noticeboard